• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What do you think of GameFaqs?

LQX

Been using it a long time, it was especially a life/money saver in the PS1/2 JRPG heavy days. And these days whenever I Google anything gaming related for some help or insight I always seem to find an answer straight away on GameFaqs.

The site really lives up to its name. I have never joined it to participate in the forums but I would rank right up there with NeoGaf as one my favorite gaming sites.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
The community was never something I cared about but the wealth of information is undoubtedly a great resource. Nowadays some of the info is being moved to game-centric wikias and now steam's guides system but there's still thousands upon thousands of well-written and helpful pieces there.

cj_iwakura

Depends on where you go. Hit up a board for a niche game and you'll find answers for the most obscure things imaginable.

Gestahl

Its cool. The threads remind me of Neogaf

Ice cold

I still use it when looking up information about older games, but there are so many major individual wikis for games and series now that you really don't need to go there for newer releases.

Seda

FAQs are useful of course, and if I have a game specific question I can usually ask on that game's board and get an answer relatively quickly.

Brofield

FAQs and walkthroughs for sure.

The boards were fun (pre-NeoGAF/high school/4chan era of my internet life). SSBB boards never had any actual content, it was just ASCII posts and crack jokes about Captain Falcon being the manliest man around.

Hell, that was the primary reason for adopting him as my main over Lucario.

I think their forums are not as horrible as they are made out to be here (although still pretty bad at times). Plus, the titular FAQs are very helpful; you can't ctrl+f a video.

Their t-shirt store has awful designs, though.

During the early Socom 1-2 days, I enjoyed the message boards (Along with Socombattles/Soon to be Gamebattles), then it just become trolls trolling trolls after awhile.

Wiz

The actual FAQs have helped me a lot many times. Best part of the site.

Game specific boards are great for finding specific info on a game.

The message board community as a whole is pretty bad though if you're looking for mature discussion.

Ignore the boards read the FAQs. Actually do they still do that character battle thing?

They're getting ready to have one soon. Nominations just started.

Reiko

Banned
The moderation (Or lack of) on boards is ridiculous.

Plus so many Alternate accounts and little kids jumping on and ruining threads.

Rpgmonkey

I only go to boards for niche/import games where there's barely any active posters and behavior is pretty mature, so I don't really have any problems with the site.

I use the guides sometimes.

Zomba13

Pretty great for FAQs/Walkthroughs and codes/unlocks and achievement lists.
Used to post on the the UK board (313) and NGG a lot before my account was approved here. The UK board was pretty good but NGG was horrible.

It's a great resource for sure. I was banned from the forums for having an offensive username, 5 years after I created my account and became active in the boards. That was nearly 10 years ago.

supahkiwi

Banned
The Wii U board is hilariously awful and cringe-worthy. I don't even know if those fanboys are even trolling or just being delusional.

Piers

Their forums are not as horrible as they are made out to be here. Plus, the titular FAQs are very helpful; you can't ctrl+f a video.

Yeah - found quite a number of the boards are fairly down to Earth, in discussions and such. More popular games are likely to attract jerks, though.

Lijik

avoid the boards at all times, stay for the faqs and walkthroughs.

The boards are unfortunately a necessary evil when stuck in a game gaf isn't really talking about but is new enough faqs aren't written yet. You're bound to find that game's equivalent to Ulililia to help you out

Grayman

A great source of information that is still deeper than youtube and the wiki sites in some ways. It is less useful as games have follow the arrow now though.

Philia

Boards for old classics were terrific for a lot of new found stuff. Take ff8, this game is so OLD, that dedicated fans had found RNG tricks to get rare items quicker and effortlessly. I love GameFAQs for this reason. I go there for the dedication.

Dedication for certain games is like no other.

supahkiwi

Banned
I've always wondered what motivates people to write those FAQs that are half the size of a novel. Talk about dedication.

Gamefaqs has a "bounty" for FAQs/Guides on games (especially new ones). Might be quite the incentive for people who love writing and want to make some cash.

The guides and faqs are incredible. The fact that I can get a guide for an old game like SFA2 is fantastic. The boards are cool too, just avoid going to the boards of larger games.

Top Bottom