• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What do you want out of a possible Smash Bros Melee HD?

Nairume

Banned
With a new Nintendo console on the market being perfect for multiplayer and Nintendo seemingly making a relatively bigger and more sincere push into esports, "Melee HD" is something that is frequently brought up, specifically with the very dedicated community surrounding Melee, as something that people would very much like to see happen. I can see such a potential rerelease of Melee taking many forms, and it seems as if everybody equally has different takes on what they want/expect out of a remaster/rerelease. I'm curious as to what those would be.

oUP5uCS.png

Personally, I could see it going any of the following ways:

Melee on Virtual Console
This is exactly what it sounds like. SSBM as we know it being emulated as a virtual console release. No extra frills aside from the possibility of online play being worked in via whatever method they have discussed using with online enabled NES and SNES games.

+Is 100% just Melee, perks and all
+Easily the cheapest option for both consumers and for Nintendo
+easiest way to sell Melee to casual audience
+Region free eshop would make it easier than ever to switch between the NTSC and PAL versions of the game
-Is 100% just Melee, warts and all
-Would not look as good as a remaster
-No updates
-Lowest potential of change in meta
-No guarantee of online play/local wireless
-No guarantee of gamecube adapter support, thus no guarantee of gamecube controller support
-Requiring a $300 console to play the same exact game that can be played on vastly cheaper platforms could (but not necessarily) be an issue for switching the community over for tournament play, at least in the short term

Melee Remastered (Option 1: Less updates)
This one has more room to mean different things, but my interpretation would be Melee remastered with updated visuals, online/local wireless and peripheral support being native to the game, and other slight updates to the UI. Otherwise it's the same game. In this scenario, Nintendo releases it as is and does not do major content/balance updates in order to preserve the intention of it being a rerelease of Melee.

+Would effectively be Melee
+Would function better with modern displays
+Could be built around having online/local wireless
-Would require more effort/money to make, would certainly cost more than VC release
-Limited support means quicker potential stagnation of meta
-Potentially harder sell for casual players for missing newer content, especially if it has to contend with a more featured version of Smash.

Melee Remastered (Option 2: More updates)
The same as above, but more hooks are put in for the game to be updated via new characters/costumes/colors/stages/balance updates in order to give the game more long term viability.

+Would mostly be melee
+More geared towards extended support
+Easier sell for casual fans
+Higher potential for reinvigorated meta
-Would be even more expensive/resource intensive to make than a remaster with no long term content support
-Too many changes, and it risks not being Melee anymore

Melee Remake
Rather than remastering the existing Melee assets, Nintendo instead rebuilds Melee from the ground up. Given the work that this would entail, such a project would almost certainly not be something that would be released and then not supported with content/balance updates, so some changes might be present and subsequent updates would be likely.

+Would mostly be melee
+More geared towards extended support
+Easier sell for casual fans
+Higher potential for new meta
-Would be even more expensive/resource intensive to make than a remaster
-Too many changes, and it risks not being Melee anymore

Smash 4 Project M: This Time It's Official
Under this admittedly more outlandish scenario, rather than releasing an entirely separate game, Nintendo releases a version of Smash 4 that is reworked to play like Melee, effectively being a legitimized take on Project M. The engine, roster, stages, and everything are Smash 4 but the gameplay is otherwise as close to Melee as possible.

+Piggy backs off an existing game
+Community has previously been receptive to this approach
+Higher potential for new meta
-More complicated to market
-Would not exactly be Melee
-No Ice Climbers or Pichu by default, some characters have different movesets
-Is obviously less likely than any other option

Smash 5: Melee 2
Rather than just rereleasing Melee or turning another game into Melee, a new Smash is made that is in the vein of Melee but has all the updates that would otherwise accompany a new version of Smash (new characters/stages/etc). Adventure Mode 2.0 is, of course, a thing. Virtually everything else people liked about Melee is present, plus more.

+Would be a new game with Melee roots
+Greatest possibility of merging the community
+Easiest to widely market
+Highest potential for new meta
-No guarantee it would be accepted by community
-Most expensive/difficult option for everybody involved

Obviously there's more benefits and drawbacks to each of these, and I'm sure there's plenty of more ways in which Nintendo could give people the opportunity to revisit Melee. With this being something in some level of demand from the fanbase, I'd like to hear from you all as to what you would want out of "Melee HD"

FSLink

Banned
For it to exist.

But really just a port with no changes. Doesn't matter which version to me, but being able to pick between the US and PAL versions would be nice.

I don't see a need for it as the original game looks fine honestly.

If there was one, which there won't be, it would absolutely have to keep everything intact, wavecheating and wiggling and all.

daTRUballin

I made the same thread about the original Smash Bros yesterday. I'm sure this thread will have more replies lol

A Melee HD would be interesting though.

Servbot24

Banned
To be honest I don't really see the point. I guess if anything I would ask for Smash 5 to have a "Melee mode" in the options which would change all the game content to Melee combat.

FSLink

Banned
To be honest I don't really see the point. I guess if anything I would ask for Smash 5 to have a "Melee mode" in the options which would change all the game content to Melee combat.
I'd rather have Smash 5 be its own thing. Smash 4 is an excellent base, would be cool if they increased the speed, bring back jump momentum, and nerf recoveries across the board.

MisterHero

It's probably easier to just fix Samus and other characters in the current/new game than modernize Melee. But a remaster would be cool.

Fancolors

Ideally a new Smash with Melee physics and GC controller support.

And maybe a For Glory, but instead of making everything a flat FD, give platforms with different placements for sake of variety.

Phu

Banned
It would have to be an effective 'Melee 2'.

I'm not sacrificing the newer characters for anything.

Zetta

This if possible and if not they shouldn't worry and just give us a SB5.

Honestly I think just a straight VC release optionally with online added is plenty. I've played my copy on Wii U with Nintendont and it looks and plays perfectly. A release like that is just fine with me.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Just add online and that's it. Melee is perfection. I don't trust Nintendo to make any updates to it that don't fuck it up.

Rather than just rereleasing Melee or turning another game into Melee, a new Smash is made that is in the vein of Melee but has all the updates that would otherwise accompany a new version of Smash (new characters/stages/etc). Adventure Mode 2.0 is, of course, a thing. Virtually everything else people liked about Melee is present, plus more.
Thankfully Smash 4 was exactly this, so yes, I'd like to see Smash 5.

Ding ding ding, we have a winner here.

If done correctly, a new Smash game with Melee's gameplay that retains most of Smash 4's roster would be the ultimate Smash game. The fanbase would be reunited again, just as things were before Brawl came along.

Macka

It wouldn't be playable with the same controls in portable mode because of the digital triggers, so even if it did happen people would bitch about it.

Dyle

Straight 1080p,60fps port with basic online matchmaking would probably be ideal. Once you start adding anything to the core gameplay there's a chance you would split the community, which would be a real bummer. It would also be cheaper to make that way, which would presumably make it more likely to happen.

lol I just wrote a massive post in another thread about all of the good Melee HD could do for the community and Nintendo. It's not all inclusive of every facet of the discussion, but it gets a lot of my frustrations about common misunderstandings out of the way, so I guess I'll start by posting that for anyone who thinks Melee HD shouldn't exist: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=241031103&postcount=118

For me, a simple VC version with support for my Gamecube Controller Adapter would be plenty. Online, updating the resolution, and an NTSC / PAL switch would be really nice additional features (and maybe GCN-like joycons for portable play? I'm not sure how they could do that comfortably).

If they really wanted to go beyond that I'd hope that they'd talk to the already large Melee Modding community and get some of the generally agreed upon features added in an official release, like replays, expanded training mode, or more detailed versus options, like static stages, shield color changes, skip results screen, etc. I honestly think they could add in microtransactions for skins and music and stuff and a lot of the community might be okay with it if it meant Melee could play like their mods.

If Nintendo REALLY wanted to just go totally crazy with a remake that added characters/stages/rebalancing I'd honestly be totally okay with that too, as long as they had the original game available as an option for purists. I do think more content in the Melee engine would be exciting, but changing the game to the point that it's not really Melee anymore would fracture the competitive community and cause problems. The idea's fun, just make sure it's not the only option available if you take that route.

I just really hope to see Melee on Switch in some form some day.

It wouldn't be playable with the same controls in portable mode because of the digital triggers, so even if it did happen people would bitch about it.

The custom pad for Pokken works for Pokken DX
There is no reason the wiiU gamecube adapter cant work on Switch

I'd rather play a game with the Inklings, Twintelle and Pauline (yes) as playable characters than another rehash of a 1X year old game.

Macka

Yeah, I was just talking about portable mode. Nintendo having to remap controls means it's more work than they usually do with Virtual Console releases, and then it also introduces a weird parity thing as well. I mean they essentially gimped the Pro Controller controls for ARMS because they want it to be the same as a single joycon.

ec0ec0

please, please, please, make the c-stick have the same funtionality in the single player modes as it has in multiplayer!!

In multiplayer, the c-stick allows to do use your smash attacks while on the ground, and much more important, your aerials while on the air. However, on single player, the c-stick control the zoom of the camera or some sh*t.

You better add this to the OP if you didn't have it, i'm going to check it now :p

edit: you don't have it

I doubt it given the melee communities fixation on crts

Melee fans aren't "fixated" on CRTs, it's just the only way to play the game.

Trust me, we'd love to not have to lug these fucking monsters around anymore. They take up a lot of room, they're heavy, they're unreliable, and now-a-days they aren't always easy to find if you need a new one.

Not having to use old, outdated hardware is the number 1 reason Melee players want Melee HD.

Nairume

Banned
It's why I only put in that there's no guarantee of them moving the GC adapter over, rather than it not being possible at all. I fully anticipate them at least doing it for the next Smash/rumored Smash 4 port.

please, please, please, make the c-stick have the same funtionality in the single player modes as it has in multiplayer!!

In multiplayer, the c-stick allows to do use your smash attacks while on the ground, and much more important, your aerials while on the air. However, on single player, the c-stick control the zoom of the camera or some sh*t.

You better add this to the OP if you didn't have it, i'm going to check it now :p

lol that would be nice.

Also, when I just glanced at the OP for a second I thought "wow, that character select screen looks great, I wouldn't mind it looking like that. I wonder who did those renders."

Looking at it again, I'm an idiot and those are Smash 4 renders. I'm guessing YLink, Pichu, and Ice Climbers on Artsy Omni lol. Smash 4 is a pretty game though, damn.

Melee with updated textures and online is all I need. Of course a Smash 5 that doesn't go out of its way to regress from Melee would be sick too, and it'd definitely unite the fanbase way more.

Top Bottom