• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What does "cinematic multiplayer" (Factions) mean to you?

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Herman Hulst has referenced this concept a few times already. It's mentioned below in Naughty Dogs hiring tweet. I have my theory on what it means, but I'm curious if anyone else has any predictions on what "cinematic multiplayer" will ultimately look like?

1. Longer gameplay loop. This almost certainly means players will have one life, but matches will extend for a length of time. Longer gameplay loops allow for more variety in player experiences

2. Choices. Zombie movies are appealing, in part, because it allows viewers to compare what they would do in certain situations to what the on screen characters did. Create stronghold in city, near supplies, or create one in countryside with fewer zombies nearby. Run into a stranger in the woods? Kill him, avoid him, or befriend him. Friend gets bit by zombie? Chain them up, go to hospital for antidote, or place them near enemy camp for kamikaze mission. Those are "cinematic multiplayer experiences" right?

Is there any other way to read this or is Factions II almost certainly going to be a more polished, more focused DayZ? (perhaps with a win condition?)

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
probably just doing it like other live services where the intro to a match has some cinematic cutscene and ending for the victors, with season cutscenes to tell the 'story' and meta progression that way.

I'd bet my last nut this isn't it. Multiplayer gamers do not want to watch the same cutscene more than once or twice. Those games are played hundreds/thousands/tens of thousands of times.

Impotaku

Means shit i'll never buy if it's in the game, i enjoy playing alone rather than having to deal with children online.

bender

What time is it?
Dialog choices and after a teabag someone a prompt that says xyz will remember that.

kyliethicc

Herman Hulst has referenced this concept a few times already. It's mentioned below in Naughty Dogs hiring tweet. I have my theory on what it means, but I'm curious if anyone else has any predictions on what "cinematic multiplayer" will ultimately look like?

1. Longer gameplay loop. This almost certainly means players will have one life, but matches will extend for a length of time. Longer gameplay loops allow for more variety in player experiences

2. Choices. Zombie movies are appealing, in part, because it allows viewers to compare what they would do in certain situations to what the on screen characters did. Create stronghold in city, near supplies, or create one in countryside with fewer zombies nearby. Run into a stranger in the woods? Kill him, avoid him, or befriend him. Friend gets bit by zombie? Chain them up, go to hospital for antidote, or place them near enemy camp for kamikaze mission. Those are "cinematic multiplayer experiences" right?

Is there any other way to read this or is Factions II almost certainly going to be a more polished, more focused DayZ? (perhaps with a win condition?)

Ghost of Tsushima Legends is fairly cinematic in presentation for a multiplayer game.

Something like that.

Beer Baelly

Al Pachinko, Konami President
track tram GIF

Guilty_AI

Whatever it is, players will find a way to make it cheesy, assuming it'll work at all.

Last edited:

elliot5

also if I had to guess there will be some sort of hub city like Abby's in TLOU2 where you can roam around and interact with other players, gear up, all that immersive nonsense rather than a simple menu for MP. Then you go get sent out on the recon/resource missions AKA multi player matches and your results impact the overall city/encampment. Maybe it'll expand further on the whole Fireflies vs Hunters resource thing to be like you can choose to represent a faction from TLOU2 (Abby's group, Ellie's, Seraphites, etc) and then it creates a meta competition and highscore thing which impacts the future cinematics and story progression for everyone

skit_data

also if I had to guess there will be some sort of hub city like Abby's in TLOU2 where you can roam around and interact with other players, gear up, all that immersive nonsense rather than a simple menu for MP. Then you go get sent out on the recon/resource missions AKA multi player matches and your results impact the overall city/encampment. Maybe it'll expand further on the whole Fireflies vs Hunters resource thing to be like you can choose to represent a faction from TLOU2 (Abby's group, Ellie's, Seraphites, etc) and then it creates a meta competition and highscore thing which impacts the future cinematics and story progression for everyone
Sounds pretty cool actually.

I’m fascinated by the way Demon’s Souls world tendency mechanic influences other players on a server level, while also encompassing actual pvp and pve elements. If Naughty Dog somehow could come up with a way to make players influence each others factions on a meta level plus some type of actual confrontations on a large scale map it could easily become its own small universe where your character can become a cogwheel in a pretty large interesting setting that also is based around a multiplayer universe.

It means another multiplayer game because they hope they get a piece of that big sugary cake.
"Cinematic Experience" is just a phrase used to ease the shock on their fans because their next game is a GAAS.

Kenpachii

ff14 also has this with there raids or whatever daily they called them.

U basically sit through 45 minutes of unskippable cutscenes and 20 minutes of playing the game.

Hopefully it means great presentation. Minimalist UI and HUD. Lack of things on the screen. Backstory of the location, characters. Good progression system.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Multiplayer cutscenes. Cinematic multiplayer 101

You watch cutscenes with other people.

A game I won't play because cut scenes, long animations and story are all super annoying in MP games.

U basically sit through 45 minutes of unskippable cutscenes and 20 minutes of playing the game.

God, I hope you guys are wrong about this.

Saber

Gold Member
Worst scenario would be a coop campaign, where the main objective is to both do quick time events as the custscene plays.

Warablo

Honestly just think it means animation heavy, with voice lines and such in the gameplay. With maybe a ending taunt screen or central hub.

MrA

Banned
all I know is that I hope it turns out well, factions is the part of last of us I like, and the reason I didn't buy last of us 2 was its absence,

Honestly just think it means animation heavy, with voice lines and such in the gameplay. With maybe a ending taunt screen or central hub.
maybe it will be like that mode in killzone 3 that played brief cutscenes with the top players on the winning side?

NewYork214

To add to this. Would be cool to have a mix of pve co-op and pvp.

Go on missions with your faction and collect resources to build up your base/hub mainly against AI clickers. Can have story elements added in with some npc characters in your group. Also gather weapons and supplies for crafting.

Then on pvp front, can have raids of other encampments. Or defend your own. On top of that. Have key points on a map that the different factions can fight over for control that give key advantages like ammo factories, hospitals, etc. Clickers can be added for extra level of difficulty.

I just wouldn't want upkeep shit like having to make sure your base has enough food, water, etc.

Can then have over arcing stories through the seasons between npcs of differing factions based on results of that period.

Multiplayer can be much cooler then just having rotating death matches like we get with most games. Why I don't play multiplayer games much.

Last edited:

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
its definitely not going to be cutscenes, i mean cutscenes in multiplayer games doesnt make sense? but im interested to see although i dont play multiplayer

ZehDon

Destiny-style seasonal story telling, with the “strikes” and repeatable content having Destiny-style dialogue play over the top.
Like the single player games Naughty Dog makes, the story will almost certainly be off limits for the players - you won’t have story or narrative choices of any kind.

Those used to be skippable, but players who were just running it for the daily (in other words: just want to finish ASAP) would just kill everything while the new players were still watching their cutscenes, resulting in a shitty and disjointed experience for them. So they made those unskippable and never made story-heavy dungeons like that again lol

reksveks

Shared QTE or QTE like events in my opinion, it's the one way to make it work well otherwise there is too many variables.

They sorta tried it with part 1 but it was never really a main focus of the game

my guess would that they have added some more meat to this area and that’s how they are going to justify charging everyone again for the “directors cut” edition

even though it was originally meant to be in the game on launch but got cut and lou1 offered it for free…but there won’t be a shortage of people defending it.

Kokoloko85

Something new and different which Im down for. I dont really play PVP games, but if Im playing multiplayer I prepfer, Destiny coop, GTA/RDR coop, Zombies mode in COD etc.

Maybe they are going the GTA/RDR route for online coop? Id love to see that set in TLOU world

Also Id like some 7 days to die elements. Build, Craft, PVE, PVP

Plus the standard PVP fractions would be awesome

Last edited:

Castef

Banned
It is exactly like other multiplayer games, yet when you kill some enemy you get cut-scenes of them screaming "Oh no! I'm dying!" and then images of their families and them talking about plans for their life after retiring.

Quite serious.

Last edited:
"cinematic experience between players"

Maybe they have dozens of different cinematic clips depending on how you win/lose the game.

Maybe there is some custom stuff after the matches, where scenes from the battle are being cut into cinematics + subtitle stories with player's names. Something like "bananalover69 fought bravely, but in the end the enemy was too strong" and a clip where he is being killed.

Or maybe it's just some coop "Help me open that door" or "Help me climb that wall up" shit with a short cinematic clip.

Last edited:
Top Bottom