• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What does GAF think about games released into the West with JPN text & voice only?

h#shdem0n

I would prefer no dubs anyway. If they're pinching pennies this hardcore to localize a game, the English voice actors are likely trash anyway.

I probably wouldn't purchase a JP-text only game, though. Maybe if they designed the GUI to be image based so text wasn't important anyway.

Keihart

I'm kinda ok with it, but not really.
I doubt that translating some menus it's all that is stoping somebody to retail this games.
At least menus, if not, i might as well just buy from ebay or something.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
I probably won't play a game like that. Maybe if it's EXTREMELY simple to play and comes with a really good "manual" explaining the interface and controls.

Keihart

Also, there is a lot of games with japanese text on PSN NA, i would be ok with digital japanese only text games if the price is right. In retail i need my english menus at least i think.

Edit:
I was triying to make a list and there are not that many, but i have like 2 megaman games in japanese and there are arcade classics too..
I want puyo puyo even in japanese :/.

Dachande

I'd absolutely be okay with that, if:

1) The game UI is relatively simple to use, or understandable enough to navigate (or is mostly in English already, like most fighting games).

2) The game isn't complex enough to need a translation guide to get through general gameplay.

3) There's absolutely no chance it could be translated and released in the West as otherwise normal.

A game like Katamari Damacy - absolutely fine. (That eventually got a US release in the end, but whatevs.) FF Type-0 or something? No.

I'd love to think that Puyo Puyo Tetris is the candidate for this if it's something they're considering, but PPT really, really needs its menus and UI translating if it comes out over here. Fuck the story mode if they have to, but all the game config menus are in full Japanese and it's way more than what the average gamer would put up with.

I've imported fuckloads of Japanese games over the past 15 years or so, but I never bothered with anything that had a serious amount of Japanese. I almost sort of regretted Powerstone 2 at the time because the shop wasn't in English at all, but I eventually, mostly, worked it out.

Joe Average PSN Buyer is unlikely to put up with too much Japanese, unfortunately. But it's something Sega really, really should do for the titles they can.

That'd be joe cool. I'm in Japan right now and I picked up my first "import" game. Since I'm still here I haven't really imported anything yet but you know what I mean. It's Puyo Puyo Tetris and it's awesome. I know katakana, so getting through the menus isn't terribly difficult half the time. I would welcome this initiative with open arms... I'm just not sure if Sony (SCEA or SCE specifically) would approve of a bunch of Japanese text games floating around in a market where they don't belong.

Top Bottom