• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What famous persons death has affected you the most?

F

Foamy

Unconfirmed Member
For me it was the passing of Art Bell a couple years ago. He was a great radio personality and I still listen to old episodes of Coast to Coast AM and Midnight in the Desert almost nightly. Paranormal topics fascinate me and nobody did better interviews than Art.

Secondly would be Scott Weiland. Grew up listening to STP and enjoyed Velvet Revolvers stuff too.
His death as a result of his herion addiction was decades in the making and it's surprising he managed to make it to 48 years old.
He also battled bi polar disorder not that you would know it to see the charismatic way he sauntered about on stage.

Last edited by a moderator:

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Harris Wittles

He was a writer and sometimes actor on Parks and Rec and a fairly frequent guest on the Comedy Bang Bang podcast.

420bits

None really, but I do miss some people from time to time when i watch something they're in. It's like "fuck, person X was soooo good and now i have to wait 10-20 years til deepfake and AI is so good that they can just use computers to make new shit with them and we won't notice the difference.

George Carlin is the one i miss the most, would love to hear what he has to say about the world today.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
I grew up reading and watching Anthony Bourdain. I thought he was cool, like the cool uncle everyone wants in their family. He seemed to like the same things I did, quoted the same authors, and most of all he seemed so damned happy. His suicide hit me hard because I realized that depression like that can happen to anyone, even the guy who seemed to have the best job on the planet.

Robin Williams would be a close second. I always got the feeling that he was crying behind those smiles. His sad dramatic roles just seemed too real. LIke he wasn't really acting. When the news hit I wasn't really surprised all that much, and that's what seemed to make it worse.

MilkyJoe

I'm going to add John Candy too

giphy.gif

Bullet Club

Randy Savage, Rik Mayall & George Michael.

Those 3 were a big part of my childhood, so it was a bit sadder than the regular celeb death.

TUROK

Robin Williams' death definitely affected me because he's been bringing me joy and laughter (and cathartic sadness in his more serious roles) since I was a kid. Grew up watching his films and stand-up, and on top of that he seemed like such a kind soul. I'm sure he wasn't a saint, drug addictions can bring out the worst in any of us, but he seemed like a guy who just wanted to make other people happy.

D

Deleted member 762073

Unconfirmed Member
Why would it affect you? I don't understand

Last edited by a moderator:

mekes

Philip Seymour Hoffman really upset me a few years back. There were a few actors that I really enjoyed and would keep close tabs on what movies they had coming out and he was one of them. Dirty heroin with fentanyl, so it was out of the blue and I was just about done with going through most of his previous movies that I had missed.

I already know what the biggest one for me will be tho. Sir Alex Ferguson, ex Manchester United manager. Huge footy fan and Man Utd supporter since 88. Watch every game, every interview, maybe the biggest legend at the club. Had serious surgery a few years back and it was so strange because it almost felt like a family member. That shocked me and let me know that it would be the toughest pill as far as celebrities go.

D

Deleted member 762073

Unconfirmed Member
You don't know why someone that people admire or respect dying might make them feel emotions?
If they know him personally sure, but somebody you just appreciate for their art? Not really

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
If they know him personally sure, but somebody you just appreciate for their art? Not really

It doesn't have to be art. And I know the "why should I feel for them when I don't know them"? Is the robotic default response, and I'm mostly the same way, but not understanding that there are millions of other people on the planet who feel differently is a little detached from reality.

These people did not personally know Pope John Paul II, but they sure did go to his funeral:

image-placeholder-title.webp

Last edited:

eot

Banned
I was bummed when Bowie died but honestly that’s because I never got to see him love, so it’s a selfish thing. Can’t say any celebrity deaths have ever hit me hard, or even mildly. I’m not particularly emotional though, if at all.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Keith Flint
Robin Williams.

because they seemed like happy people and genuinely caring to their fans.
Fuck depression

Satoru Iwata. He was one of us. One of us.
fuck cancer

Last edited:

Kev Kev

Robin Williams

its was a gut punch to realize that even someone who seemed to have everything you could dream of and appeared to be so full of life and joy could still be miserably depressed and powerless over his addictive tendencies, leading him to eventually just killing himself.

as a recovering alcoholic dealing with depression (ive been a year and a half sober but i swear to god im still emotionally withdrawing from not having drugs or alcohol to consume, it sucks dick rn bc im going through it bad), it makes me wonder if ill just end up the same and this whole fight will have been for nothing.

oh, and although he's a cartoon character and the series finale hasnt aired wait, if bojack jumps off a bridge like secretariat im seriously going to just take a week off of life, lol, cant handle that rn

lil puff

MJ, Prince.

Not so much affected me, but these were bizarre deaths that gave me a pause.

Heath Ledger was bothersome. That happened right down the street from where I used to live. I still don't know the story to that one.

I don't really get emotionally attached or invested into celebrities, but suicides or ODs are reminders that you never really know what some are going through.

lil puff

I don't think you have to know them to be affected.

I think it's more of emotional reflection on life in general. It's fragile even for those who seem to have it all. It makes me slow down and appreciate what I have, and check on those I care about.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
David Bowie

he was always somewhere in my life. i remember hearing my mom's Bowie records when i was a kid. eventually as a teen i discovered him through bands i liked celebrating his works (Flaming Lips). like many classic rock artists, it was one of those "oh this record is good, and this record is good, and DAMN this record is good too" the man just had a string of stone cold classics. all the different styles, constantly changing up, going from making experiemental synthpop with Brian Eno to stadium filling mainstream 80s cocaine pop in just a few years. he was so prolific it was baffling.

just insane to think he's not part of this world anymore. RIP

Super Mario

Banned
Honestly, none really "affected" me in any way, There are 7+ billion people in the world, and people who aren't even close to me aren't at the top of mind.

With that said, if I had to pick 2 that stick out, I would pick Robin Williams and Michael Jackson. Robin, you could almost never tell his troubles. He was always there to make people laugh. If you look back to his shining moments, he was really something else.

Michael Jackson is the other. Just absolutely incredible talent, yet the epitome of screwed up in the head. Imagine if he could still be alive today and making music,

lil puff

Before my time, but I imagine Jimi Hendricks must have hit a lot of people hard in the day.
He's another one with such serious talent - what could've been....

Whitney Houston also comes to mind. Tragic.

Top Bottom