• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What game are you currently playing?

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Crisis Core Reunion. Im really not enjoying it very much honestly, but I’m sticking with it because I adore FF7 and just want to finish this side story.
Are you doing the side missions or just sticking to the plot? I had to change the dubbing to Japanese. English makes things appear dumber than they are.

I'm early on in the Dead Space Remake (just beat the regenerator). It's a nice visual upgrade but I don't think Dead Space has aged all that well.

I've also spent a bunch of time with the Diablo IV beta and I'm pretty disappointed. There is a lot to like but the moment to moment gameplay is dull as dishwater.
Co-op is fun if you have a friend. I couch co-op all weekend with my wife and it was a lot more fun. She’s excited for us to play the final game.
Resident Evil 6, finished Leons and Chris story, on Jakes now 😁

And finally bought all dlc for tekken 7 and sfv, so lots of fighting to.
I like Jake’s move set. Something about his campaign made the game a little better. I’d say Chris and Leon have the best campaigns. Chris had that large building to scale and obviously Leon’s felt like the game’s primary campaign.

Played a lot of Diablo IV via co-op. Played some Metal Gear Rising on my Steam Deck. Fought LQ-84i. I played this back on PS3 and it’s still one hell of an action game. Waiting for RE4 at the moment.

bender

What time is it?
Co-op is fun if you have a friend. I couch co-op all weekend with my wife and it was a lot more fun. She’s excited for us to play the final game.

I'll try it out with my co-op buddy once it hits open beta but I was already a little dubious with the open world/guild world elements and this weekend really didn't do much to increase my excitement.

Smashed Sekiro last night with the purification ending. Just need to finish the headless’ that are hanging around before I dip into NG+ for the Shura ending.

Such a classy game.

I kind of want to do a black flame build in Elden Ring but I’ll wait until I’ve rinsed Sekiro - the two games don’t mix well in my experience.

I’ve done nearly all the side missions in Cyberpunk now so I could race through the main story BUT if this talk of a new combat system is true I might put it aside until the DLC is released.

Other than that, I’ve been getting into Persona 4 more. That might become my RPG (I tend to play an action game and a slower paced game concurrently, with gaming sessions starting with the former and finishing on the latter).

Amory

Recently finished The Ascent (PS5). Fun game. Bit repetitive and my god the traversal really should've been better but I enjoyed my time with it overall.

Then I started Ratchet & Clank Rift Apart (PS5). So far so good. It's weird to me that they defaulted the visuals to 30FPS fidelity mode instead of the 60 FPS performance + ray tracing mode. Once you make that adjustment it really is a joy to play and to look at. I also appreciate the use of the DualSense controller features, particularly the half trigger/full trigger pulls weapon functionality. I wish more games took advantage of this stuff. Not a game I expect to think back on too much once I'm done with it, but it's a nice palate cleanser ahead of some of the larger games I have in my PS5 backlog.

Also continuing to play Horizon Zero Dawn on PC, maybe 10 hours in. Gameplay loop isn't grabbing me too much but it is pretty, I have to give it that. And the story is somewhat interesting. I expect I'll finish it eventually.

Last edited:
KINGDOM-HEARTS-III.png

Never played a Kingdom Hearts game before. Very surprised by how much I'm enjoying this. Honestly it's not normally a game I'd go for but yeah the gameplay is really addictive and I love the variety of the worlds.

I've seen little gimpses of this when it came out and I remember the Toy Story world which looked really fun, so I'm excited to fully experience that for myself.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Are you doing the side missions or just sticking to the plot? I had to change the dubbing to Japanese. English makes things appear dumber than they are.

I like Jake’s move set. Something about his campaign made the game a little better. I’d say Chris and Leon have the best campaigns. Chris had that large building to scale and obviously Leon’s felt like the game’s primary campaign.

Played a lot of Diablo IV via co-op. Played some Metal Gear Rising on my Steam Deck. Fought LQ-84i. I played this back on PS3 and it’s still one hell of an action game. Waiting for RE4 at the moment.
Doing all the side missions. The random battles are driving me fucking insane.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Biomutant: Kind of nice looking, but man they really did try and shove too much shit into this game. Feels bloated. Not sure if I’m going to stick with this.

I kinda want to revisit Days Gone.

Fredrik

Skyrim VR

All the VR talk here go me to dust off my Quest 2. Been enjoying my time quite a bit tbh, VR won’t replace regular gaming anytime soon for me but when games are as interactive as Skyrim is with some sweet mods then I can really see the benefits of playing in VR.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Playing throught the disappointing sunbreak expansion.

I thought it was like iceborne where you basically fight all new monsters in the campaign and instead i have the usual vanilla rise monsters but in MR and occasionaly some new monster here and there.

Now i can safely say that both main game and expansion are inferior to world and iceborne.

Last edited:

sedg87

Banned
If only for story, they are pretty short - only 7 main missions(2-3-2) across all 3 DLCs. Though there are also 25 side missions in total.

Just beat the first story mission in the Tengu DLC. Some of the enemies feel tougher, especially those hanced Enki type enemies.

Hestar69

Just made it to the final dungeon in Tales of Arise (new game plus)
how was arise? I only played a few hrs when it came out but stopped. Kinda wanna get back into it.

OT: currently playing demons souls remake after finally beating ys8/true ending.

G-Bus

Banned
Been playing battlefield 2042 since it got ps+. Think I've had my fill. Too much spawning a d dieing right away. Still feel like shooting stuff so I started fry cry 5. After a few hours it feels boring.

Outer wilds. Oh boy. Few hours in. Lots of dieing. Not sure how I feel about it being "timed" in a sense. Makes me feel rushed.

Started a fresh dead cells save. Slowly plugging away at that.

Bunch of stuff hitting ps+ tomorrow I'm interested in. Tchia for sure tomorrow night.

Celcius

°Temp. member
how was arise? I only played a few hrs when it came out but stopped. Kinda wanna get back into it.

OT: currently playing demons souls remake after finally beating ys8/true ending.
It's fantastic and I highly recommend it. I've put in over 100 hours.

SRTtoZ

Dead Space Remake on Series X. I platinumed it on PS5 so now it's time to do the same on Series X. I started out with the Impossible mode trophy tho so I can use the suit you get from beating it in the other playthroughs. Plus, the hardest part will be over with! After this, I move onto 100%ing Callisto Protocol on Series X.

Paltheos

My position's largely the same as it was when it came out. I'd add a couple unflattering comments about the endgame and praise the music as above average for a solo-Sakuraba venture (while disparaging some of the game's overall mixing and the general lack of sound options available - wth, Bandai?), but I think "mid-low" is pretty fair placement against the other titles in the series.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
KINGDOM-HEARTS-III.png

Never played a Kingdom Hearts game before. Very surprised by how much I'm enjoying this. Honestly it's not normally a game I'd go for but yeah the gameplay is really addictive and I love the variety of the worlds.

I've seen little gimpses of this when it came out and I remember the Toy Story world which looked really fun, so I'm excited to fully experience that for myself.
if you think thats good just wait until you play KH2
.... though before that play KH1 as thats very important story wise.

radewagon

Playing Bayonetta 3 right now. Not really digging it. The enemies are boring and overly large. The levels are large and empty. And looking at the upgrade tree, there is almost no ability I am looking forward to unlocking. I know the game's got other playable characters and I hope they make the game more enjoyable. As it stands, Bayo is pretty OP and it's making the game fairly boring.

marcincz

Playing Bayonetta 3 right now. Not really digging it. The enemies are boring and overly large. The levels are large and empty. And looking at the upgrade tree, there is almost no ability I am looking forward to unlocking. I know the game's got other playable characters and I hope they make the game more enjoyable. As it stands, Bayo is pretty OP and it's making the game fairly boring.
Don't count on it. :)

Hestar69

It's fantastic and I highly recommend it. I've put in over 100 hours.

My position's largely the same as it was when it came out. I'd add a couple unflattering comments about the endgame and praise the music as above average for a solo-Sakuraba venture (while disparaging some of the game's overall mixing and the general lack of sound options available - wth, Bandai?), but I think "mid-low" is pretty fair placement against the other titles in the series.
damn,two different opinions lol. Was wondering about it as my friend who only plays rpgs really say at first it was meh then later got good with cameos from the old game or something.

He also said ys 8 was amazing and I was kinda meh on it. Maybe i'll give Arise a try after I finally beat grandia 2 after all these years.

Podge

Neo Member
I have recently gotten back into my Monster Hunter World file on PlayStation. Playing coop with my best friend, and after 5 years I finally focused and got to the credits for the base game. Now it's onto Iceborne. The first couple of hours of Iceborne, as well as the Geralt collab quest, have been a ton of fun. I regret sleeping on this game for so long.

Also, I'm letting go of my beloved Insect Glaive in MH Rise: Sunbreak on Switch and giving the Longsword a shot. It's just incredible how each weapon is so unique from the other that it is like 14 games in one.

I'm hoping to get into MHGU Hub Quests on Switch soon, though it is a difficult transition going backwards from Rise to World then to Gen Ultimate.

Paltheos

damn,two different opinions lol. Was wondering about it as my friend who only plays rpgs really say at first it was meh then later got good with cameos from the old game or something.

He also said ys 8 was amazing and I was kinda meh on it. Maybe i'll give Arise a try after I finally beat grandia 2 after all these years.

You new then I take it? Tales games usually have cameos from old games but usually in brief segments - a coliseum battle against old good guys/bad guys or an endgame side dungeon with old cast members as midbosses. These don't turn a whole game around. If you are new, there are better Tales games out there. I even talk about them a bit in that topic I linked to.

Same deal with Ys 8, since I'm giving out unsolicited advice. Opinion's a little more split there though - Some people legit think Ys 8 is the best in the series, but I don't care as much for the party-based system it runs with generally light consequences for mistakes and too many systems built into the combat. I've always preferred the older, single character, isometric titles with simpler controls and harsher demands of the player.

Hestar69

lit there though - Some people legit think Ys 8 is the best in the series, but I don't care as much for the party-based system it runs with generally light consequences for mistakes and too many systems built into the combat. I've always preferred the older, single character, isometric titles with simpler controls and harsh
I've only beaten Vesperia (which I loved) & Berseria which i also loved. I got far in graces F but stopped but yeah otehr than those havent payed much tales games..

Funny you mention that..I hate it too why I rarely changed characters and just stuck with Adol lol...Is your profile pic From valkyrie Lenneth?

Paltheos

Funny you mention that..I hate it too why I rarely changed characters and just stuck with Adol lol...Is your profile pic From valkyrie Lenneth?

Yup. Profile pic is of Lenneth.
I don't know how much I can speak to your tastes, but you may like some of the older Ys titles more. My favorites are Oath in Felghana, Origin, and Ark of Napishtim (from most to least favorite). If you have a PC, you can play any of them as they're all on Steam. If not, well, Origin at least has been ported to most modern consoles (PS4/Switch).

Mr Hyde

Playing Tales pf Vesperia and the game has been a cakewalk right up until you meet a boss named Gattuso or some shit. And suddenly a difficulty spike from hell emerges. This cunt hits like an end game boss, can stunlock you, poison you, confuse, you name it. And you can't go back to the open world to grind or stock up, no you're stuck here because reasons. Absolute garbage tier game direction. Never seen a Tales, or Jrpg, behave like this. Really soured the experience.

Last edited:

Hestar69

Yup. Profile pic is of Lenneth.
I don't know how much I can speak to your tastes, but you may like some of the older Ys titles more. My favorites are Oath in Felghana, Origin, and Ark of Napishtim (from most to least favorite). If you have a PC, you can play any of them as they're all on Steam. If not, well, Origin at least has been ported to most modern consoles (PS4/Switch).
I love old school rpgs been trying to play some more...I got ys 1+2 oath and ark on steam ill check them out...
How's lenneth? I almost bought it on psn the other day

Playing Tales of Vesperia and the game has been a cakewalk right up until you meet a boss named Gattuso or some shit. And suddenly a difficulty spike from hell emerges. This cunt hits like an end game boss, can stunlock you, poison you, confuse, you name it. And you can't go back to the open world to grind or stock up, no you're stuck here because reasons. Absolute garbage tier game direction. Never seen a Tales, or Jrpg, behave like this. Really soured the experience.
Everyone seems to have issues with this boss, but honestly, unless you're playing in Hard (never a good idea for a first playthrough), are trying to do his secret mission (which you can try again later), or you're way underleveld (come on, this is a jrpg, at least some measure of grinding is too be expected), he's not that bad. Were normal enemies in the area giving you that much trouble that you already used most of your consumables?

He's weak to fire, so Rita spamming fireball non-stop can do some serious damage, put it on a shortcut on the right stick; and of course, deal with the two pups first. Sorry if I can't give more specific advice, it has been a while since I last played it lol.

Mr Hyde

Everyone seems to have issues with this boss, but honestly, unless you're playing in Hard (never a good idea for a first playthrough), are trying to do his secret mission (which you can try again later), or you're way underleveld (come on, this is a jrpg, at least some measure of grinding is too be expected), he's not that bad. Were normal enemies in the area giving you that much trouble that you already used most of your consumables?

He's weak to fire, so Rita spamming fireball non-stop can do some serious damage, put it on a shortcut on the right stick; and of course, deal with the two pups first. Sorry if I can't give more specific advice, it has been a while since I last played it lol.

I took him down yesterday. 15 attempts. I just leveled up and rearranged the party with, as you say, Rita spamming fireballs, Estelle spamming heal and me going around in circles avoiding his attacks. Maybe he's not that bad, but I still think it's bad directing when difficulty spikes are happening this early, coming seemingly out of nowhere. Too be trapped in the forests grinding up several levels by killing low-level monsters for a good couple of hours is not fun, no matter how you slice it. I know grinding is part of Jrpg, but not like this, and especially not so early. But now Gattuso is gone and the adventure continues. It's a very good game so far and I enjoy it very much, I just got frustrated with that particular annoying road block 😄

I took him down yesterday. 15 attempts. I just leveled up and rearranged the party with, as you say, Rita spamming fireballs, Estelle spamming heal and me going around in circles avoiding his attacks. Maybe he's not that bad, but I still think it's bad directing when difficulty spikes are happening this early, coming seemingly out of nowhere. Too be trapped in the forests grinding up several levels by killing low-level monsters for a good couple of hours is not fun, no matter how you slice it. I know grinding is part of Jrpg, but not like this, and especially not so early. But now Gattuso is gone and the adventure continues. It's a very good game so far and I enjoy it very much, I just got frustrated with that particular annoying road block 😄
Yeah I still agree that he is way too big of a difficulty spike this early in the game. If the stories are to be believed, he was intentionally made harder than initially intended because he was the final boss of the demo, and they "forgot" to tune him back down...
My real issue with this game is how it drip-feeds you basic combat mechanics; this fight would have been a lot more manageable if you already had access to stuff you can only unlock much later.

Just a heads up if it's not too late already: make sure Yuri is in top shape before going to the next town, I forgot if you have an opportunity to rest at the inn before a pretty annoying fight...

Paltheos

I love old school rpgs been trying to play some more...I got ys 1+2 oath and ark on steam ill check them out...
How's lenneth? I almost bought it on psn the other day

It's my favorite JRPG. Word of warning though: If you don't plan on playing it twice, you really need to read a FAQ to prepare you to understand the game's systems so you don't screw yourself out of the best ending (Captain K's has been the gold standard afaik).

Yeah, Gattuso's famously borked. My advice to any new player would be to not feel bad about cranking down the difficulty to get past him. He's not hard by design; the developers literally forgot to fix his difficulty from the demo. No other boss is like this, just to assuage your worries.

Mr Hyde

He's not hard by design; the developers literally forgot to fix his difficulty from the demo.

If this is the case, I wonder why Bamco didn't fix it considering I'm playing the definitive edition that was re-released on consoles after being held hostage on the 360.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
after weeks of playing Arkham Asylum, BeamNG, Super Mario World, Pizza Tower, Kingdom Hearts, and Guilty Gear Strive (in an attempt to get really good at the game... i usually drop stuff i put a lot of time into, i hope its not the case for this game since i like it a lot)

i've finally returned to Elden Ring to finish up the Ranni questline
IDK why i even took her quest to begin with
oh wait, it's because she looks like this

fmlgngpvcacmvf4.jpg

so cute!!!!!

R6Rider

Gold Member
Mostly stuff on PSVR2:
  • Pavlov
  • Gran Turismo 7
  • Saints & Sinners
  • Runner
  • Puzzling Places

Still play BF2042 and Siege with friends pretty frequently.

Crayon

after weeks of playing Arkham Asylum, BeamNG, Super Mario World, Pizza Tower, Kingdom Hearts, and Guilty Gear Strive (in an attempt to get really good at the game... i usually drop stuff i put a lot of time into, i hope its not the case for this game since i like it a lot)

i've finally returned to Elden Ring to finish up the Ranni questline
IDK why i even took her quest to begin with
oh wait, it's because she looks like this

fmlgngpvcacmvf4.jpg

so cute!!!!!

Tell me a little more about strive. How's it going?

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Tell me a little more about strive. How's it going?
well for starters i haven't faced any online matches outside of the bot who's there to gauge your skill.

I switched from Milia to May because i was having trouble with milias combos, I had just bought skullgirls (and filia is a far better 'hair' fighter lol) and overall i thought the idea of swinging an anchor to hit people was funny. May is far easier to get a hold of and her combos are simple.... but executing them in gameplay is something different.

she's also the first character i've mained who's a charge character, before this i was shoto all the way. That being said i've gotten used to that kind of gameplay since you can integrate it really well into combos, it's nice

Crayon

well for starters i haven't faced any online matches outside of the bot who's there to gauge your skill.

I switched from Milia to May because i was having trouble with milias combos, I had just bought skullgirls (and filia is a far better 'hair' fighter lol) and overall i thought the idea of swinging an anchor to hit people was funny. May is far easier to get a hold of and her combos are simple.... but executing them in gameplay is something different.

she's also the first character i've mained who's a charge character, before this i was shoto all the way. That being said i've gotten used to that kind of gameplay since you can integrate it really well into combos, it's nice

Ah just starting down the road. My advice would be to learn to burn half a meter (rc) to extend bread and butter combo. Upgrading your b'n'b is like upgrading your weapon in an rpg. That one starter hit is going to reliably lead to more damage from there on out. Those matches you lose by 20% health will turn into wins and the ones you lose by 40% will turn to 20%.

Mr Hyde

Time to dive into Resident Evil 4. One of my all time favorite games. I bought a GameCube solely for this game. And my god it delivered. I was a massive RE fan back then (still is), and I was in heaven during the entire run. It was so graphically impressive, packed with action, humor and compelling characters. I've played this game over 50 times, at least, and it never grows old. To say I have high expectations on this remake is an understatement. Capcom better fucking deliver to honor the legacy of this once revolutionary game. It's their crown jewel and they cannot fuck it up. They just can't. It's unacceptable.

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Ah just starting down the road. My advice would be to learn to burn half a meter (rc) to extend bread and butter combo.
training and learning the combos has really helped me with the bread and butter combo. Didn't even roman cancel once with milia since i didn't know what they were there for. in general the combos have really helped me learn a lot about the game's mechanics and combat system

Last edited:

Crayon

training and learning the combos has really helped me with the bread and butter combo. Didn't even use it once with milia since i didn't know what they were there for. in general the combos have really helped me learn a lot about the game's mechanics and combat system

Damn that is awesome. One more word of advice... when you are nailing those combos practicing, it's different. You are going to go online and suddenly the combos you perfected will just not come out of your hands. Don't get pissed off, that's a normal stage of learning the combo. Perfecting it solo does not mean you've really learned the combo yet. It has to come out reliably in fights before you're done.

Last edited:

yamaci17

im playing high on lfie rn
its a really fun game ! story pace is great with new additions and mechanics. bosses are cool. game has unique places and is not drawn out. im nearing the end and its been a fun ride

Don't count on it. :)

Bayonetta 3 is a certified disappointment. It's not a bad game and it's still fun to play but it's too easy, the Demon summoning is too OP, and it looks like shit on switch (even in handheld-its too low res).

We waited so long for this game too and Kamya directed it so it's really strange it didn't turn out great. I don't understand how developers are wanting their games to be so easy and forgiving. Challenge is necessary in these types of games. Even DMCV was too forgiving on its highest difficulty.

Binary Domain. It's 60 fps on SX. Cover based third person military shooter. It's classic xbox 360 era game that doesn't have any of modern gaming's politically correct BS. Very refreshing to go back to that time period.

Game is silly good fun. Surprisingly enjoyable. It's a mash up of a lot of games that were popular during that time like Gears, Rainbow sic, and MGS. This was a time when devs weren't afraid to sexualize characters or allow stereotypes. None of it is overly controversial or insensitive to anyone except for the soy children of today.

Anyway it's too bad it's not also 4k because it would look quite good if it was. You can hold lb button to issue commands and make silly comments to your teammates. You get points for kills that you can then spend on items and upgrades. There's some really fun boss battles too.

These kinda games make me nostalgic about the 360/ps3 era. Man, I really wish Sony would release remasters for Resistance and Killzone games. Sucks that unless you have a ps3 There's no good way to play these. I don't have fiber internet so Sonys online service isn't viable. Kinda crazy There's no remasters yet but I guess these linear FPS games aren't popular nowadays in Sonys mind. I think they'd sell really well though.

Last edited:

Mr Hyde

Graphics in RE4 is fucking nuts. Atmosphere is through the roof. Can't wait to see the castle. I just know this is gonna be an awesome ride.

Top Bottom