• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What game are you currently playing?

I've taken it upon myself to plunge deep into Dark Souls: Remastered, i've reserved the better part of Saturday and Sunday morning exclusively for this game. I'm not a fan of Dark Souls and its spiritual progenitors, i did try them out but the only thing that resulted was an insane amount of frustration which i didn't appreciate. I will give my entire attention to Dark Souls: Remastered, because there are elements there worth pursuing, and i think it's the most interesting in the series.

I've also re-installed The Witcher 3, i haven't played the expansion portion of this game, so i'll have to do this as well.

johntown

Banned
I've taken it upon myself to plunge deep into Dark Souls: Remastered, i've reserved the better part of Saturday and Sunday morning exclusively for this game. I'm not a fan of Dark Souls and its spiritual progenitors, i did try them out but the only thing that resulted was an insane amount of frustration which i didn't appreciate. I will give my entire attention to Dark Souls: Remastered, because there are elements there worth pursuing, and i think it's the most interesting in the series.

I've also re-installed The Witcher 3, i haven't played the expansion portion of this game, so i'll have to do this as well.
Really curious what changed your mind about the remasted version? It is basically the same game but just looks a little better and has a solid 60fps frame rate........oh and one thing I noticed is you can lock on to NPC's and players using the Ring of Fog.

Really curious what changed your mind about the remasted version? It is basically the same game but just looks a little better and has a solid 60fps frame rate........oh and one thing I noticed is you can lock on to NPC's and players using the Ring of Fog.

I've played the original Diablo last week and i loved its atmosphere which was an amalgam of tension (because of its slow & methodical progression and difficulty) and horror (due to its grotesque and macabre imaginary, gothic architecture inspired artstyle). It was a very refreshing experience, which is remarkable considering it's a 23 year old game. It was refreshing because i expected a very outdated loot-collectathon with which i'll play around for mostly an hour out of sheer curiosity. What i got, instead, was a surprisingly unique rogue-like dungeon crawler with an incredibly well put together design that i invested a week of my time, and the better part of Saturday.

The only thing that has a strong resemblance to the original Diablo's atmosphere is Dark Souls. So, i am motivated to experience something as the original Diablo, but done by a completely different development group, and i decided to re-try getting into Dark Souls, starting with Dark Souls: Remastered, which apparently is a good version to pick. I am aware of the complaints, but they are not an issue.

Unity2012

Currently playing Greedfall and Gears 5. Loving both games. I haven't played the Gears MP yet.
My next game will be Planetfall Age of Wonders.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Playing Gears 5 in coop locally (Vertical split screen on pc) and it's not grabbing me. I am a huge gears 1,2,3 fan but it's not doing anything for me. It might be better than 4 but we are only at the ending of act II so it's too soon to say. And it's stuttering like crazy on nvme, rtx 2070 and 3700x
Thinking about buying blasphemous too

Thurible

Finished Okami (beautiful game by the way) and I didn't realize that you were supposed to save before you enter the Yamoto, so now I can't go back and collect praise and beads anymore and am stuck in the room right before the final boss. There is now a new game plus mode on a seperate file but I don't want to restart the game right now.

It was interesting playing a game so entrenched in japanese mythos, as an outsider who only experiences very small bits of japanese culture and folklore it was a bit educational. I liked looking up what the story was loosely based off of, and apparently there is a tale of Susano slaying the 8 headed dragon Orochi through intoxicating the heads. Susano in the actual myth is a god and not a man, and Ameraterasu was his sister (she was not a wolf and she didn't aid him in the fight either, she actually exiled him to earth for some infraction against her).

I also found it interesting that it seemed a bit sci fi with the fantasy. Demons, gods, and celestials are beings from a different plain of existence that crashed on earth like aliens in a spaceship. There are little ufos and glowing high tech things in a few areas. One thing I didn't quite get is why the moon tribe people have blonde hair like Waka and Kaguya, or why Waka used alot of french phrases in his speech, or why the heck he was a buttface the entire time until the end.

It certainly was a quirky experience, with a lot of silliness thrown in, especially the companion Issun (he only seems to care about beautiful women and makes rather....interesting remarks to other characters). Though there were some genuinely sad moments when characters died, which was a bit surprising.

Overall, it was an enjoyable experience.

Next on my list is Link's Awakening of course (I'm very excited and I can't seem to stop talking about it!) I'm looking forward to see what has been added and changed in the game.

Gears 3

How did they get squeeze such good graphics out of that hardware?! If it weren't for the resolution I could swear it's a current gen game. Somehow it also runs better than Gears 2! It's not as good as 2 though.

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
A little puzzle game called Warlock’s Tower. I’ve been eyeing it for a while and since it’s on sale atm, decided to bite.

It’s pretty basic, but has a nice Gameboy aesthetic. I hope it gets more challenging, but enjoying it so far.

Today, I just finished Prey (2017). I thought about doing a New Game + run, but I think I need to take a break from it. The load times (XBOX One) are very annoying, especially with my terrible sense of direction, and about 60 hours of play. I would constantly be going in circles. Maybe when I upgrade to a One X or the next system I will try NG+ if these loads are better.

Next, I've just started Star Wars Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy. I noticed this past weekend that it was on sale on GOG and I almost bought it, but happened to look at my game spreadsheet and saw that I had it on the XBOX One. I've started it there, and so far it's pretty damn good.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Done with Astral Chain and currently playing Link's Awakening. Also doing second playthrough of Catherine Full Body to get other endings.

Erimus

Neo Member
Finished Arkham Asylum and collected all riddler trophies. Fantastic game. Will jump into Arkham City soon.

Just started playing the Order 1886 (from my backlog) and plan on starting Borderlands 3 co-op this week. Only 2 chapters in on the Order and not too sure how I feel about it. Graphically stunning and seems engaging enough but something just feels missing..

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Finished the time-bending mission in Titanfall 2 earlier today. Daaaaang, I wish the whole game was full of split battles like that. Juggling two different groups of enemies at the same time could be a whole game by itself.

Titanfall 2 feels like a reunion tour of all the interesting FPS ideas from the 360/PS3 era, tuned with a watchmaker's expertise. It's definitely up there with DOOM (2016) for me, as far as frenetic shooters go.

Trying to play RDR2 online and surprise, other people ruin the experience by being cunts. It's amazing how people(gamers) always live up to your expectations.

Last edited:

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Gave up on AC Odyssey after about 60hrs. It just became so fucking monotonous I couldn't do it anymore. Not bad considering that's about as much time as I've played all previous AC games combined.

Just started Bloodstained. It's a nice change of pace and I'm enjoying it so far.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Link's Awakening

Not as good as AlbW but that would have been a crazy feat. Amazing game. Loving these graphics. Soooo cute. The only thing that bothers me is the constant stuttering when the camera pans.

Just started Bloodstained. It's a nice change of pace and I'm enjoying it so far.

I'm playing that also. Done 72% of the map. Personally, I've found the difficulty of the game to be all over the place. A couple of bosses made me want to put my controller through the TV, whereas others I've defeated easily on the first encounter. One I even beat in under 10 seconds!

Aside from that, it's a good game. Recommended.

Last edited:
"Tried" Bayonetta on the new 65er screen. I still don't love the cutscene editing. Yeah, it's quirky and weird, but not my cup of coffee. Gameplay on the other hand. I played through it on PS3 (remember that trainwreck of a fucking slideshow?), so the 60fps PC-Version was a friggin' miracle to me... it plays SO smooth...

DelireMan7

I played 10 more hours of Dragon Age Origins (now around 60 hours).
Then I couldn't resist to continue my discovery of Arkham game and I started Arkham City.

My first impression was not that good. The change of scale with Asylum (in map, moves, etc...) overwhelmed me a bit. I was liking the "small game" feeling of Asylum.
But now I get use to it and start to like City more and more.

Last edited:
Was screwing around with my 3DS while browsing threads and decided to play some Advance Wars: Dual Strike. Game is still fucking awesome.

Then I decide to pop in FF Tactics A2. It still boggles me how fucking sluggish navigating the menus is. Like the game is 100% played through navigating menus and it runs like absolute ass. WTF is this shit.

You play a Intelligent Systems GBA, DS, 3DS strategy game and navigating menus is fast and snappy af.

FMXVII

I'm currently playing Porcelain Pipebomb.

It's an offline, single player game, with so many bugs, if it were a NES era game, they'd be called "gameplay features".

Die_Shinzo

Neo Member
I was playing Borderlands 3 until it corrupted my HHD, so I'm starting Yakuza Kiwami 2!

I downloaded Yakuza Kiwami on a whim a couple months back - LOVED IT - finished it and immediately started playing 0. I finished 0 last week. I liked it a lot, but tbh, I felt like it was a bit too much compared to YK1 (I've heard later games are even bigger).

Anyways. I'm kinda pissed at myself for not playing these games sooner. They're fantastic. Goro Majima is one of the greatest video game characters of all time, imo.

I've already got a copy of 6, and the remaster collection is preordered.

thanosg

Banned
Was playing Yakuza 0 this morning. Man they should really speed up the pacing of the cut scenes Often time they just sit around smoking and doing nothing for mins.

Phase

Been playing POE lately (never really played it back when). It's def nice now. I'm on Act 9 and the progression has felt really nice.

Looking forward to playing TLOU for the first time when it's on PS+ next month.

Die_Shinzo

Neo Member
Was playing Yakuza 0 this morning. Man they should really speed up the pacing of the cut scenes Often time they just sit around smoking and doing nothing for mins.
It was the real estate and cabaret club minigames that I felt were too long. If they had reduced the time it took to level properties/guests it would've helped a lot.

To put things into perspective, I did 90% of what YK1 had to offer in about 35 hrs. Y0 took me 100 hrs. and there's lots left I could do.

I was also not a fan of the pocket circuit components/crafting materials being locked behind RNG vending machines.

Last edited:

Die_Shinzo

Neo Member
Currently playing Assassin’s Creed: Odyssey. Just an amazing game to get lost in. Massive world to explore. I don’t mind the loot system because it’s get addictive looking for that next awesome piece of armor or weapon.
I hadn't played an Assassin's Creed game since the first one (which I didn't like), grabbed Odyssey for $20 thinking it'd be good to kill a few hours with, and ended up putting 120 hrs. into it and getting the Platinum. Great game.

Last edited:

Hinedorf

Banned
Juggling Dragon Quest Builders 2, Ancestors, GTA5(5th time through story), and MHW Iceborne which I've almost given up on.

Dragon Quest Builders 2 is a vortex of time lost but super fun and relaxing

Ancestors has a brilliant concept trapped behind some of the most infuriating controls/UI of any game in the last 10 years, fighting to not quit on it

GTA5 I never get tired of

MHW Iceborne requires too much dedication and im becoming a filthy casual who can't keep up with friends

Vawn

Banned
images

Like a lot of games, I've already played on other consoles, but worth replaying on Switch.

The first game is so much better than 2.

Phase

images

Like a lot of games, I've already played on other consoles, but worth replaying on Switch.

The first game is so much better than 2.
I've never played this but was considering it. What aspects of it are better? I played maybe 12 hrs of NinoKuni 2 but it was getting pretty boring.

Tigerlord

Currently playing DC Universe online, Minecraft, Rayman origins , and Tetris 99.
I have a backlog the size of Texas and Alaska, combined. Not to mention a ton of games I haven't
touched yet...

drganon

Right now I'm jumping back and forth between ff12 zodiac age, tales of berseria, bl pre sequel, and trying to get back into octopath traveler. Probably just going to focus on tales for now.

CD'S BAR

got a new windows laptop so been playing a bunch of steam games:

ff13
kof13
typing of the dead
some dreamcast ports
capcom universe (fan game)

Thurible

Since I finished Link's Awakening switch I remembered I beat every canon zelda game besides Zelda II (I just gave up on it because it is INCREDIBLY difficult and cryptic). So I went ahead and played Zelda II again and finally finished it. I had to use a guide and save states/rewinds just so I could beat it (which is a bit shameful, but there was no other way for me). I can honestly say that as a fan of zelda, it is possibly my least favorite in the series.

There are some enemies like the flying dragon heads that easily toss you into pits, hidden floors and rooms that you NEED to access whilst having no indication that they are there, the knight based enemies are always protected with a shield that they erratically move when stabbing so you kind of have to guess where the next strike will come from and where the weak spot will be despite there being only two areas where you can hit them. I just had to spam with my sword sometimes and it almost never connects.

Top Bottom