• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What game are you currently playing?

Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age on PS4.

Oh, baby, how I missed this game. I played the original PS2 version and got really good at it. I'm 25 hours in on this one. Re-remembering the little things here and there. The gambit system is so pinpoint accurate that if you know the characters and the situations well enough, you can really just move your characters around, let 'em beat the crap out of virtually every monster and rack up exp like crazy!

dang you brought me back. I'll be picking up a copy of this later.

It's Jeff

Banned
When I'm at home, I've been replaying Forza Horizon 3. Just enjoying looking at it again after the enhancement download.
Out here at work, I finished up Celeste and I'm playing through Thimbleweed Park.

SpiceRacz

Rondo of Blood and Castlevania: The Adventure Rebirth. Both are excellent. First time playing either game.

Also chipping away at Chrono Trigger. I haven't played it in 15 years and it holds up really well.

So I just beat Sonic Mania and I feel like this a game you'll want to play through multiple times. There are multiple characters to try, chaos emeralds to collect, a few things to unlock, and overall it isn't a long game (though it has some length problems).

I'm going to start with the levels, which were far too long at certain points. I ran out of time twice in the last zone. I loved all the creative ideas they had for the new zones and the equally creative additions they made to old favorites (Injecting blue and green fluid into the deadly liquid in Chemical Plant to make it super bouncy) but I feel at times they got a little too ambitious with the zones, making them as big as possible, and in my opinion this just makes certain acts a drag to get through (Looking at you Titanic Monarch Act 2). The level design is still mostly good, just a little long at some points.

Water stages still suck, I'm sorry but stopping and starting to get bubbles whilst running through super sluggish water, isn't what sonic gameplay is about to me. Though I do like the tension when that drowning music kicks in, which makes me a little bit conflicted on this one. I wish they could find a way to implement the water zones better.

Music and Visuals are great, though the old remixed tunes still outshine the new ones. I mean they still fit each zone very well and aren't at all bad, they just aren't something I'll ever find myself humming (with the exception of Studiopolis zone) But oh man those visuals, probably my favorite part of the game! so colorful and vibrant! and those beautiful backgrounds!

The bosses, for the most part, were great. Standouts being IMO the boss of act 2 Flying Battery and act 2 of Metallic Madness (dat fan-service tho) But a few others were pretty forgettable, and 1 or 2 just felt like bullshit (Looking at you Oil Ocean act 2)

Overall this is probably the most polished, exciting and bombastic old-school Sonic game available. I wish I could go into more detail, but I don't want this to drag on. 8/10.

RavageX

I've been playing XCOM 2: War of The Chosen on PS4 Pro. Near the end of it finally, but will probably replay it. Have enjoyed it a great deal.

Also started Elex, and had been playing Kingdom Come.

Finished the first South Park game also.

paolo11

Street Fighter V. I just got platinum rank on 2 accounts hehe...

God of War 3 in anticipation of God of War 4

badboyyy

Elder scrolls iv oblivion on ps3, i put about 150~hours and just visited only 160 places of 400 (goty version) im hoping finish this game when far cry 5 shows up. But I love exploring oblivion world, many bugs, but overall im satisfied with this port.

OH-MyCar

I just bought Kingdom Come. I figured "Hey, I grew up being the only person I knew that loved Drakkhen on the SNES. I can handle $60 for some ridiculous jank".

Daniel Thomas MacInnes

GAF's Resident Saturn Omnibus
I've been on a big Sega Saturn kick since the Winter Olympics. I got the itch to play Winter Heat and Steep Slope Sliders, and now it's expanded to pretty much everything in my collection. A little Dead or Alive, a little Last Bronx, an hour of Batsugun, a half hour of Burning Rangers. A couple matches of Go Go Goal, then reach for Hat Trick Hero S, Worldwide Soccer 98 and World Series Baseball 98.

4-6 weeks ago, my wife and I were visiting family in Bogota and we brought the Super NES Classic. Everyone had a lot of fun playing Super Mario World, Mario Kart, Contra, SF2 Turbo and Metroid.

camelCase

Yakuza 5 is the shit. Love the snow wilderness section, was totally unprepared for that and pleasantly surprised by it. One of their best "mini games" ever in the series if not the best. Trying to be discreet because I was so blind sighted by it myself.

Right now on the haruka part. Not really digging it because you can't fight at all and while that makes sense, dancing all the time in the form of button presses isn't so much fun to me. The drama is ok too, I like it a little better than Saejimas parts story. It would have been great to have the dancer style be Harukas fighting style and just whoop the daylights out of challengers be they yakuza or rival idols. Really surprised to see a whole section around a game be about what Harukas profession is.

Xenoblade Chronicles 2 on Switch (obviously).

I'm having a hard time with it. I like some aspects like the music, world and characters, but the combat is just straight up awful. I've played 20+ hours now, but I feel like the game's restricting me from using certain mechanics, which hinders the combat quite a bit. I'm just slapping enemies for 5 minutes, using arts as soon as I can and I see their health go down pixel by pixel from these. I can't exploit enemy weaknesses, I can't string arts together yet because I don't have the right elements... It's just annoying. Hope it picks up soon.

I replayed Dead Space 1 and finally made my way through Dead Space 2 which was in my backlog for literally years. Loved it, platinumed it and was all I thought about it for about 2 weeks. It fatigued me, it was non-stop action, spooks and scares and that Hard to the Core trophy was a tough one but I got it done.

Dead Space 2 expanded on the original game in every conceivable way and then some. Going back to the Ishimura in Chapter 10 after completing the original game was something else.

Last weekend I started Dead Space 3 with a friend and it's a completely different game and the prologue telegraphed as such with the that rappelling down the side of a cliff set piece. I've gotten to chapter 5 and I've enjoyed it thus far but it doesn't feel like the games before it. I mean Issac has can go into cover ffs. I don't want to shit on it because it way to early but I'm not enjoying it as much as the first 2 games. It's faster paced, way more enemies, the co-op feels shoe horned in, I mean Carver sometimes literally disappears only to reappear in a cut scene.

We'll see where it takes me.

kunonabi

Finished P5 so moving on to Grand Kingdom and fatal frame 5. Fatal Frame is going to take awhile since its the Japanese version. Grand Kingdom is ok so far. I should be liking it more than i do but maybe it picks up.

Leocarian

Banned
World of Warcraft Battle for Azeroth Friends and Family Alpha, Deep Rock Galactic and Warhammer Vermintide II

Warhammer Vermintide II is pretty awesome and I'd highly recommend for the price and if you're looking for that Left 4 Dead itch with your buddies.

Deep Rock Galactic need to play more but so far so good.

Battle for Azeroth so far is pretty exciting...

Last edited:

Deafsnake76

Neo Member
Bloodborne, Overwatch, SW Battlefront II (for now til they reinstate microtransactions) and Fortnite. I also play a LOT of Mario Kart Deluxe on the Switch. I even tried to join the Gaf touranment but the new site design messed up the hidden quote in the Kart thread. Any help here?

RVIDXR

90% NG+ run in Bloodborne.
Horizon Zero Dawn
GT Sport
MW Remastered + IW Multi to keep my reflexes on point
Netflix

GenericUser

I'm playing shining force 2 on the mega drive/genesis. I really liked the first one when I was a kid, but never had the chance to finish it (battery of the module died). I decided to give the second one a chance, since I love the concept of traditional RPG gameplay (exploring towns, speaking with people etc.) mixed strategic combat on a "chessboard". I'm really far into the game right now and I'm having a blast. The battle system ist not as complex as many modern srpgs which makes it far more enjoyable to me, since I can play the game without spending most of the time in the menus. I also really like the simple, yet motivating story and the music.

Shining_Force_II.jpg

I whish Sega would greenlight Shining Force 4.

Exell

Neo Member
Mostly world of tanks, Subnautica and Elite Dangerous. Holding out for Star Citizen (im a 2013 backer) *patiently waits*

GenericUser

Kingdom Come Deliverance (what a game !) and Fortnite.
I was thinking about picking it up, but lack of serious discussion on the other forum let me "forget" about the game.

On which platform are you playing and can you saz what's good about the game in your opinion?

Last edited:

Corrik

I'm playing shining force 2 on the mega drive/genesis. I really liked the first one when I was a kid, but never had the chance to finish it (battery of the module died). I decided to give the second one a chance, since I love the concept of traditional RPG gameplay (exploring towns, speaking with people etc.) mixed strategic combat on a "chessboard". I'm really far into the game right now and I'm having a blast. The battle system ist not as complex as many modern srpgs which makes it far more enjoyable to me, since I can play the game without spending most of the time in the menus. I also really like the simple, yet motivating story and the music.

Shining_Force_II.jpg

I whish Sega would greenlight Shining Force 4.
I have played Shining Force 2 countless times on Genesis. Sad you never experienced it until now. That said, I wish they would release Shining Force 3 again and also make a direct entry to Shining Force. I get that the day of the RPG is over, but Disgaea made some solid entries in that spectrum.

Currently playing:
Street Fighter V AE (Abigail is the shit)
Dark Souls 3 (I'm trying to farm Vertebra Shackles and proofs of concord kept)
Driveclub (recommended only if you also buy the season pass, it's almost mandatory)
Titanfall 2 (attrition only).

TobyOne

Neo Member
I was thinking about picking it up, but lack of serious discussion on the other forum let me "forget" about the game.

On which platform are you playing and can you saz what's good about the game in your opinion?

I'm playing on PS4. I appreciate the atmosphere, that we start from the scratch with the "hero". It's not an easy game where we kill 25 enemies each minute. We have to learn how to fight (good system), how to rob, lockpicking (much better with the last patch) etc. And our experience impacts our skills, we choose how to improve them. According to me, there is a coherent ecosystem in this open-world, a real freedom when we explore even if i would have appreciate more content in the open-world.
I think, it's a good mix between narrative story and action, it's more realistic. Don't expect to fight, we walk a lot, we talk a lot to complete missions. And the fact that dialogues choices are determined by your skills (charisma, eloquence...), i appreciated a lot.
I can't tell you more, i think you have to discover by yourself. Don't expect an Ubisoft open-world game, it's very different. There is like an extra soul in the game, i can't describe it.

Södy

PC:

PUBG
FIFA 18

XBOX One:

Halo MCC (currently doing a complete playthrough through all the campaigns)
Halo 5
NHL 18
Sunset Overdrive
Forza Horizon 3

spacedublin

Neo Member
Picked up battlefield 1 digital on ps4 for like $20 last week, haven't been into a battlefield game this much since Bad Company 2 (which is still my favorite).
Playing a little minecraft with friends on ps4 too, split screen couch gaming is still fun!

I have also been playing borderlands 1 and 2, got them from a humble bundle for pc a few months back and am finally putting some time into them.

I'm currently playing Uncharted 4 and Out of the Park Baseball 18.

Uncharted 4 is a great looking game, as always from ND. And I'm really enjoying this adventure. I had heard issues about pacing, but it's been fine to me. (I'm in Madagascar.)

I'm running a Twins franchise in OOTP 18, and trying to do a rebuild in my own style starting with present day. I'm really thinking of building my own fictional baseball league though, with a team in every state. (2 25-team leagues and 5 5-team divisions in each league.)

wipeout364

I’ve been playing :
Wolfenstein 2 Xbox
Overwatch Xbox
Rainbow six siege Xbox
Sea of Thieves Xbox
Far Cry 3 PC
Dirty Bomb PC

Playing around with
Turok Xbox
Planetbase Xbox
Peace Walker Xbox

Currently playing nothing on PS4 or WiiU. I tend to play a lot of games at once.

Blackie

Still Splatoon 2 online. Endlessly. I get burnt out, turn it off for half a day then get bored of life without it and am sucked right back in. Already over 700 hours played. It is almost as bad as my Halo 2 online addiction was, which I thought would be impossible to repeat :/

Last edited:
On a buying hiatus, so working through my backlog. Currently, mostly PS4 games with some NES and SNES peppered in.

Specific current game: Okami HD. Funnier than I thought it was going to be. I'm old; a return to cell shading brings back my PS2 era warm and fuzzies. The game's pacing suffers due to too much unskippable dialog, but I anticipate that will slow down once the first few hours are done (currently at ~3 hours playtime).

Over at another forum I'm heavy into we are currently all trying to collectively complete every NA SNES game in 2018. We have 81 games completed so far. I haven't contributed as much as I would like (only 2 games for me), so I may detour back to SNES after Okami.

Tharel

Neo Member
Warframe - Logging daily to see what's what
Tales of Symphonia - 2 hours in and still trying to get into the characters, combat and story
Castlevania Lords of Shadow UE - Halfway through
Azure Saga Pathfinder - Got a free key from the dev, enjoying so far
Ys II - Trying to finish this to jump into Origins

And about to start Cosmic Star Heroine

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
On a buying hiatus, so working through my backlog. Currently, mostly PS4 games with some NES and SNES peppered in.

Specific current game: Okami HD. Funnier than I thought it was going to be. I'm old; a return to cell shading brings back my PS2 era warm and fuzzies. The game's pacing suffers due to too much unskippable dialog, but I anticipate that will slow down once the first few hours are done (currently at ~3 hours playtime).

Over at another forum I'm heavy into we are currently all trying to collectively complete every NA SNES game in 2018. We have 81 games completed so far. I haven't contributed as much as I would like (only 2 games for me), so I may detour back to SNES after Okami.

Okami's unskippable cutscenes makes starting the game somewhat difficult. It takes forever. Otherwise it's a blast. I wouldn't say youre old, lol

I tried PvP Fortnite today. It was my very first time playing this game. It seemed ok, but I quit once I got killed. I didn't have a gun on me. It might be fun to go back and play sometime. It looked cool and it looked like building adds a lot of potential to it, but I don't really get into F2P games for very long. I use to play Terra Battle on iOS and I dropped that because I didn't feel like paying a lot of money for it.

I am progressing further in Monster Hunter World. It's at that point where I am spending more time grinding for materials and realizing it's going to take longer to solo the next monster with my current set.

I'm missing my single player experience. I'll get Far Cry 5 Tuesday.

I've been also playing GTAIII on my phone. I own all of Rockstar's mobile games and having my iTunes sync to it is cool.

I just finished darksider on steam, now on my 10 hours on Darksider II , (plan to pause it and enjoy Ni no Kuni II) so excited to play .

Codes 208

-bloodborne (im still near the beginning, i forgot how to bloodborne)
-battlefront 2 for multiplayer kick
-dragonball fighterz

I found out my local library rents out ps4 games now so now thqt i have a ps4 again, i have a lot to look forward to

Oh you have to mention platforms?

PS4 - Skyforge and Fortnite

Xbox one - Ghost Recon Wildlands and Gears 4 multiplayer

Waiting for State of decay 2 and GOW

Top Bottom