• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What game are you currently playing?

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Spider-man is getting most of my time as it's fun as hell and I want to finish it up before RDR2 at the end of the month.

Still chipping away at Octopath Traveler occasionally, but close to bailing and selling it off as I've just lost interest around the 30 hour mark. May try and finish up the remaining chapter 2s and see if it grabs me again and then decide.

Need to get back to Dead Cells. I really like it, just haven't had much gaming time with moving and getting the new house set up (close to done with that--this weekend hopefully).

Wonkytonk

Now that the Spider-Man Platinum Trophy has been obtained, I have been able to move on..

Forza Horizon 4 (Xbox One X) - Lovely! Cars in Britain, need I say more?
Astro Bot: Rescue Mission (PSVR) - Technically starting it tonight, so maybe shouldn't be on this list? I am really looking forward to it after reading such positive reviews and impressions.
Walking Dead: Episode 2 of the Final Season (PS4 Pro) - Struggling to get into this as it almost seems pointless knowing that the other episodes in the season probably won't ever be released.

BONDO

Destiny Forsaken mostly. When I need a break I have been rotating the below...
Spiderman
Forza Horizon
NBA 2K19

IpsoFacto

Just finished Arslan: The Warriors of Legend. A fun little hack & slash game. They really took their time to explain the story of the anime in lenghty cutscenes so anyone who didn't watch it can catch up. Fun, likable characters. Rushing with horses and footsoldiers is cool. Action is fun if a little repetitive especially since I've noticed halfway into the game that all the stages are based off the same 4 or 5 basic maps, they simply swapped some props around, changed starting points or changed

I'm five hours into Persona 5 so far. Weird and bizarre don't even begin to describe it. But in a good way.

DarkBatman

10 hours into Assassin's Creed: Odyssey. Loving it. But I'm not really sure I can finish that before RDR2s release.

Fist of the North Star: Lost Paradise is the second one I'm playing right now. At least 30 minutes - 1 hour per gaming session (if my time allows it). It's basically Yakuza meets Mad Max - and I love it.

Last edited:

Elcid

Banned
And why or why not would you recommend someone else to play it?

Please do not post unmarked spoilers.

I am currently playing Wolfenstein 2 on Xbox One X.

I would recommend playing it. It has surprised me with great storytelling and a mature but coherent plot. The visuals are stunning to me, and it is loaded with interesting personalities. Off the wall but good.

I do not recommend it if younger. The game is very mature in its themes and plots. This is definitely not a game for younger, not matured kids.
Street Fighter 5. Best fighting game atm.
Dota 2 best multiplayer PC game.
Final Fantasy 15. Great single player story, after watching Kingsglaive and Brotherhood I'm heavily invested. Fun combat and amazing visuals with a captivating story.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
Currently playing Yakuza 0 (so fucking good), Far Cry 5 (good brainless fun - I can see myself tiring of it before the end as it's fairly repetitive and not the most interesting story but it's good for what it is) and Kingdom Come Deliverance.. my god that game is so fucking good. I'm annoyed at myself for not getting it sooner, but then I'm pretty glad I now have it DRM-free on GOG. It's a work of fucking art.

Mr Hyde

I´m continuing on NG+ for Salt and Sanctuary. The bosses have been somewhat more challenging this time around. The only exception is Tree of Men, which is by far, the most terrible boss I´ve ever faced in a game. It´s so painfully stupid and unfair in its design it´s not even a contest. I´ve also found a hidden area but I can´t access it due to not having a particular brand and I also found another covenant. Discovering things like that makes me really happy. I´m also trying out a lot of armor and weapons. My class 5 staff is starting to do some serious damage which makes this playthrough a lot more fun.

I´ve mentioned the progression and how it not makes sense and that still applies. For example, there is an area that is called Fort-beyond-the-mire and it´s called that way because the developers intended for you to access it from the previous area which is called The Mire of Stench. Problem is, I accessed it through two other areas not related with Fort-beyond-the-mire giving me a confused state of mind. The world is not coherent at all, it´s just a bunch of areas stitched together without rhyme or reason. Dark Souls 2 did something similar but in that case it was supposed to be like that, because the flow of time was distorted and made the landscapes converge with one another. In Salt and Sanctuary I can´t find anything like that in its lore and I´m reading every god damn piece of item I can find. The map in this game really gives me headaches.

Playing Fist of the North Star.

Game has a very poor start but like the Yakuza games it slowly gets better as it expands and gives the player more control, options, activities and such.

Last edited:

Ar¢tos

Destiny 2, getting my chars ready for Forsaken (can only get it on the 10th, when I get paid). Doing CoO on my 3rd char, such a pain! This expansion is pure trash.
And Underhand on my phone. For a free ad-free game, its amazing! Much better than a lot of paid games. I never expected a card game to play like a board game/RPG hybrid.

TrainedRage

Banned
Yakuza 0 - An amazing introduction into the world of yakuza, so much to do in that game.

Escape from Tarkov - I will never get tired of the constant tension and fear of losing my fort and modded M4. And killing all these new players is a joy I don't often feel.

Valkyria Chronicles (switch)- Great game for the switch to have, and in general. The joys of Kaz assaulting his squad mates makes me giggle. Classic Japanese humor and I love it!

Mr Hyde

Disemboweled Tusk on Ng+ in S & S is a nightmare. Not only is the path to him filled with the most annoying enemies in the game, enemies that sometimes follow you into the arena, but the Tusk himself spams his fucking shotgun constantly with HUGE damage output. I killed this guy on the second try in my first playthrough and now he is giving me a living hell. He is so cheap. There is almost no time to dodge and when you do you that son of a bitch keeps shooting and shooting so eventually your stamina depletes and your fucked. And seeing this intro every time you fight him is just... I don´t know. And this god damn salt bat that is following you everywhere you go. It´s so stupid. I hate this game so much yet I can´t stop playing it.

Senhua

Now playing:
SMT Devil Summoner Soul hacker (3ds) - Decent story combined with the brilliant Devil negotiation technique & DRPG SMT style
Musō Orochi 3 (ps4)- I like this game, very fun tag 3 man game with a lot of rooster and nice skills
Hideodensetsu No kiseki IV (ps4) - The End of Saga

Will play in the future:
Utawarerumono ki (ps4)

Starting Astro Bot later today, hope i can still handle VR. Havent used it since Moss came out.
And a few rounds of Warface now and then.

Bullet Club

Fallout 4 on Xbox One X.

Put 150 hours into it on the PS4 but have started again on the XOX, even though I have a massive backlog of other games I could be playing.

pots555

Went out to buy Assassin’s Creed Odyssey. Checked the price, 90$ with taxes here in Canada. Turned around, spotted AC Syndicate for 20$. Never played it, so I decided to take it instead. Pretty good game so far. I can wait for Odyssey.

Other than that, still having fun in Destiny 2 expansions and continuing Divinity Original Sin 2.

Now: Shenmue PS4 pro. My 1st run since i finished the DC version back in the days.
Patch 2 has been a game changer. It fixes a lot of things including the voices, still not perfect.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
Played some FH4, but I just started Nuni Kuni 2.

Playing a lot of Kindgom Come: Deliverance and i'm in love. Yes the game has a lot of bugs but also it has a really addictive gameworld. I generally don't use a headset on games (i prefer my home cinema) but on this specific game i love playing the game with a headset, it makes everything come to life. The sound of metal from the armor as you walk, the bugs while runniing in the woods, people chattering in the background, the sound of the burning wood at campfires. Also a note, on some of the technical problems of the game, i found peace after disabling Boost mode on my PS4 and while i know that this game supports Pro and X it almost stopped all the problems i had.

I also play a lot of Forza Horizon 4 when taking breaks from Kingdom.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
RTTP: Dark Souls III

experiencing this game all over again. i beat III back before i had played Demon's Souls and Bloodborne. now that i've played those games DSIII kind of shines through in a whole new light. last night i was playing through Undead Settlement and thinking "this really feels like the villages in the Forbidden Woods/Hemick Charnel in BB" when i came upon the Evangelist, plucked right from DeS. it's just interesting to see all these connections that I never realized the first time i played through DSIII.

when it came out you heard a lot of people saying DSIII was a ripoff of Dark Souls 1 but i don't think that's really accurate, at least not if you've played DeS. if anything DSIII feels like From going "full circle" and going back to their roots. taking all the stuff they learned by doing BB and applying them to that very first entry. ofc this is easily apparent in levels like Firelink Shrine and Irithyll Dungeon but in many ways DeS is really baked into the game. has anyone done a video on III/DeS references?

imo they did a great job, it's a fitting finale to all the various games, pulling and taking from each one, compiling an idealized experience.

DSIII = Bloodborne X Demon's Souls.

Last edited:

Vawn

Banned
RTTP: Dark Souls III

experiencing this game all over again. i beat III back before i had played Demon's Souls and Bloodborne. now that i've played those games DSIII kind of shines through in a whole new light. last night i was playing through Undead Settlement and thinking "this really feels like the villages in the Forbidden Woods/Hemick Charnel in BB" when i came upon the Evangelist, plucked right from DeS. it's just interesting to see all these connections that I never realized the first time i played through DSIII.

when it came out you heard a lot of people saying DSIII was a ripoff of Dark Souls 1 but i don't think that's really accurate, at least not if you've played DeS. if anything DSIII feels like From going "full circle" and going back to their roots. taking all the stuff they learned by doing BB and applying them to that very first entry. ofc this is easily apparent in levels like Firelink Shrine and Irithyll Dungeon but in many ways DeS is really baked into the game. has anyone done a video on III/DeS references?

imo they did a great job, it's a fitting finale to all the various games, pulling and taking from each one, compiling an idealized experience.

DSIII = Bloodborne X Demon's Souls.

My problem with Dark Souls 3 was that it felt too fan-servicey. Most areas seemed to scream, "remember this similar stage from ________?"

It didn't feel like they were taking their world seriously. It almost felt more like Sonic Mania, where they remixed a bunch of old stages from the other 4 Soulsborne games and mashed them together.

Also, it was offputting to me how it seemed to undermine the lore of Dark Souls 2 and design the story more as a direct sequel to DS1.

But even with those complaints, DS3 was still Souls and still a great game.

Kadayi

Banned
Finally got around to Life is Strange: Before the Storm which albeit I bought at launch, I hadn't felt the urge to dive into at the time. This was actually developed by Deep Nine rather than Dontnod itself (whilst they concentrated on Vampyr & LIS2). Deep Nine also opted for using Unity as their engine rather than Unreal 3.

Have to say I was a little trepidatious about this one, as I really dug LIS despite its flaws, but I have to hand it to Deck Nine they did a really great job overall. One of the real problems with LIS itself IMHO is that Chloe early on is quite an unlikeable character with her 'fuck authority' Riot Grrl manner and it's only really when you hit the tail end of episode 2 that she starts to become a much more sympathetic rounded character, so I was a bit worried that BTS was just going to be Riot Grrl: The Prequel. However, the game takes place sometime before Chloe achieves her final form and you're given a lot of leeway to steer her as you choose when it comes to the telling of the story of her time at Blackwell academy and her relationships with Rachel Amber amongst others. Ultimately as with any prequel, you know where things will go to a certain degree, but thankfully Deep Nine wisely ends the series on a high, versus taking events all the way up to LIS itself, instead opting to use a small post-credits scene to act as a bridge.

Honestly bar one particular scene late on that felt like a touch of unnecessary drama* I can't fault it really. The change of engine is only slightly noticeable and for the most part, the characters look recognisable versus their LIS counterparts. If you enjoyed LIS, and want more Chloe, this a must play.

The part where Eliot confronts at Mr Ambers home office felt quite contrived, especially as there hadn't been a lot of build up with him in my particular playthrough

Apparently, SE was very impressed with Deck Nine and have given them the green light to make further games, though presumably their own IP rather existing (it's not clear at this stage). Definitely, a studio to watch and kudos to them for doing some developer outreach for staff in response to the untimely Telltale Games.

Next up is Life is Strange itself, which I'd been meaning to revisit as so I could get the 100% as well as listen to the developer commentary.

Last edited:

chemicals

I've been known to mostly bash xbONE backwards compatibility, but thanks to BC I'm finally playing through GTA The Ballad of Gay Tony. Been having the disc forever, but it has a big circular gash on the bottom (let some kid borrow it) and will not play on my xb360. Oddly enough it works fine on my xbONE-S, so I finally get to play it. It runs quite well.

Halo0629

Ps4: Fist of the Northstar lost paradise.

Switch: Valkyria Chronicles 4, Mario Party and Dragonball fighterz.

Pc: Pathfinder, yakuza 0, and dragon quest XI.

Neolombax

Took a break from Destiny 2 Forsaken. The grind was starting to get to me, I had to stop before burning out. The game is in such a good place now. Finally decided to buy AC: Odyssey. A wonderful game thus far, its a similar experience to Origins but much more refined.

Mr Hyde

NG+ now completed in Salt and Sanctuary. Got the second ending as well, Dominion, and it was as bland as the first one. During this playthrough I discovered three optional bosses and two optional areas (although one of them can hardly count as an area). The bosses were pretty lame, two of them were really easy and the third was a ganker. The ganker boss took a couple of tries, but all in all, it was not like they made me sweat. The hardest boss in the game was Witcher in the Lake and when I say hard I mean fucking brutal. Spamalicous with her arcance/holy/whatever magic she wields there is hardly any room to breathe. I think it took like 30 tries before I killed her. In NG I killed her on my second try so a bump in difficulty there I will say.

Salt and Sanctuary is a disappointment. It´s impressive that the game is supposedly only made by two people, but I think it falls short of what it tries to achieve in more ways than one. First and foremost it´s very easy. I thought this was going to be a challenge but the game is a cakewalk except a few awkard difficulty spikes. The game has a lot going for it, and it was fun in the beginning but I gradually lost interest much thanks to the world and areas who are so boring. It´s fun to kill all the bosses but after my second round it was just meh at the end. I was excited over the possibility with different builds but I´ve been trying out a couple of weapons and none of them is particular fun. So I just wield my sword and shield because they are the best.

The gameplay and combat is solid, so is the exploration. But I think it all boils down to the bland areas, the weak storyline and the easy difficulty that kinda makes this experience somewhat soured. The game also presents zero own ideas or even an own identity. It´s a clean cut carbon copy of Dark Souls, except it is in 2D. And I´m sure Ska Studios thought "If you love Souls then you will love this." Yes, I love Souls but this? Why do you, as a creator, want to create something that´s entirely based off another persons work? For example, Hollow Knight drew influences from both Dark Souls and Castlevania and it still managed to be its own thing but S & S is just a flat out copy, from lore to areas to mechanics to bosses to world building to everything. Maybe I´ll grow to appreciate it more in a couple of years, after this has settled and the game has faded into memory but as for know, all I see is a soulless copy of a much better franchise.

Sonny Black

Spider-Man, and actually I didn't played any other game since the release. Today's the eight so it's been one month of Spider-Man.

GenericUser

Waiting for BO4 and I decided to give DmC (definititve edition) a shot (the game with the emo dante).

Liking it more then I thought I would. I have no problem with dante looking and behaving different then in previous games and I really really dig the combat system. I had a good time incorporating all the diffente moves of dante into flashy combos. It's gorgeous too look at and it feels satisfying as fuck when you finally hit a triple S combo. I play the game on normal and the game is fairly easy and when you die, you never respawn too far from where you died. But I like that, it's a nicely flowing game that'll probably keep me busy until black ops 4 drops later this week.

Another example of: never trust the vocal minority. I can totally recommend the game to people who like these kind of games. Or fans of "brainless" fast paced action games.

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
Finally bit the bullet and bought God of War, unbelievable experience so far. nothing ground-breaking but just solid gameplay and exploration, fantastic level design. Holding me over until RDR2.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
I’m playing the waiting game for COD Black Ops 4 :/

Meanwhile I play older games that I have bought but never played. Was thrilled about Army of Two being BC as I never played the game when it released, so that was fun but very short. Can recommend it for some mindless action with funny dialogue from time to time.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
I currently can't tear myself away from Yakuza 0 and Kingdom Come Deliverance. Both are wonderful games that really show the gamer proper respect.

IpsoFacto

Persona 5

I have no words for this game. Now I understand the overwhelming praise the game gets. It's arguably the most inventive JRPG out there. It's part life simulator with a lot of time managment in which social interactions are encouraged, it's part stealth game and the combat never feels repetitive. The characters are super fun and interesting and the plot is really good.

CatCouch

Disgaea 1 Complete right now! I love the art in these games so much~

Definitely recommend it if you like strategy RPGs and goofy humor!

D

Deleted member 740922

Unconfirmed Member
Finally started (and finished) Ryse on Xbox One X - next up is Yakuza 6 on PS4 Pro :messenger_relieved:

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
Was playing some Pig Eat Ball. It has a feel like classic arcade games with a space pig that eats tennis balls and vomits all over the place. Also playing Timespinner, which is a metroidvania that feels a lot like the handheld Castlevania games.

Vbrasa

Final Fantasy 6, Nier Automata, Overwatch (unfortunately), and Dr. Mario.

I wanna find something new to play though.

Top Bottom