• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What game are you currently playing?

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Currently playing through Silent Hill 3 on the PS2. Want to finish it before I get RE2.

It's a great game but damn those crazy walking distances... I mean, you always had to run around a lot in this series but usually that boiled down to the main town of Silent Hill. In 3 Heather seems to running marathons in every other level... First the mall, then the subway, then the canalization.... STHAP! Luckily I'm in the hospital now so I can take a deep breath from all the running for a little while... Then there are also other things that bother me... Like too many enemies with too little ammo... Melee combat is ass... I end up avoiding most of the enemies and taking into account of getting hit because of how many healing items I have compared to ammo... I dunno, it's a really weird design. Luckily the pros outweigh the cons though.

Fox Mulder

just finished uncharted 3 for the first time and wrapping up the trophies, but it fell flat for me.

UC2 is superior, but UC3 takes a step back in areas and feels a bit unfinished or something. The big cruise ship set piece felt tacked on and is completely pointless to the story. Side characters just vanish and the villain you fight last has huge gaps in the story. Even stuff like a sandstorm is done worse than the blizzard section in UC2.

I'm happy to announce that i've had some time recently to play some more TMCC, specifically 4v4 HCE slayer, and it has been glorious. That is all.

hecatomb

Banned
Currently playing through Silent Hill 3 on the PS2. Want to finish it before I get RE2.

It's a great game but damn those crazy walking distances... I mean, you always had to run around a lot in this series but usually that boiled down to the main town of Silent Hill. In 3 Heather seems to running marathons in every other level... First the mall, then the subway, then the canalization.... STHAP! Luckily I'm in the hospital now so I can take a deep breath from all the running for a little while... Then there are also other things that bother me... Like too many enemies with too little ammo... Melee combat is ass... I end up avoiding most of the enemies and taking into account of getting hit because of how many healing items I have compared to ammo... I dunno, it's a really weird design. Luckily the pros outweigh the cons though.
the only melee weapon worth using is the katana its fast and easy to attack with, and can block attacks.. Silent hill 3 is a ok game. Silent hill 1 and 2 were just better games.

Last edited:
Still playing FR Legends on iOS and Android at 60fps... which made me take out Mario Kart 8 Deluxe from the closet. MK8D presentation is superior, but FR Legends feels so much better. I hope the devs (Feng & iiley) bring FR Legends to the Switch with a bigger selection of cars and tracks so more petrol heads can enjoy this brilliant drifter.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
the only melee weapon worth using is the katana its fast and easy to attack with, and can block attacks.. Silent hill 3 is a ok game. Silent hill 1 and 2 were just better games.
Yeah, I noticed that with the Katana too. I found it impossible to hit anything with any other melee weapon.

I finished the game yesterday evening and thought that it had a very strong ending. One of the rare cases where a game starts out ok but then gets really good towards the finish line. Loved how they tackled and explained Alessa's past. Final boss fight was also quite neat.

At the end of the day SH3 is the worst of the original trilogy but not as much as I expected. I'd give all of them a 9/10 with SH1 being the best of the bunch.

Now up to SH4, which I never finished so far. Curious to see if it's as bad as generally claimed.

Mr Hyde

Completed Super Mario Odyssey. Collected 500 moons and got access to the final area. That last level was pure platforming hell and I died countless times. But damn it felt good once I managed to beat it. I´ve never had this much trouble with a level in a Mario-game before. Either it was hard as nails or I´m rusty. Haven´t played a Mario since Galxay. Overall, SMO was a terrific game. Fun and creative levels, tight platforming, interesting mechanics and a hell of an adventure. Not my favourite Mario but still damn good game.

I also completed The Last of Us. I´ve forgotten how good this game was. It´s an astonishing feat in video game making. The story, characters and world building is great, and the graphics and art design adds to the amazing atmosphere that ND has created. . The gameplay is a bit stiff and unoriginal at times, and the violence can be off putting, but I have no problems seeing through the fingers regarding that since the rest of the game is so damn well made. The immersion is second to none. The Last of Us is a landmark in video game history. Now bring on the sequel.

In my eternal wait for the G.O.A.T that arrives on friday I´ve booted up a classic for Nintendo Switch. Blaster Master Zero. I loved this game when I was a kid and I didn´t know it had gotten a remake. So I´ve bought it as it was dirt cheap and decided to give it a go. Lots of NES-nostalgia with this one and I reckon it´s gonna be a blast (pun intended) to play this again. Another solid exclusive for the Switch.

Mr Hyde

Jumped back into Skyrim again. It´s pretty awful when it comes to combat and general gameplay (actually it´s fucking terrible) but somehow this game just pulls me in and keeps me hooked. I believe it´s the exploration and music that makes this game a winner for me. Those two elements is just outstanding in creating the special atmosphere that seeps through this game. It also has tons of content so I rarely get bored. Right now, I´m just running around killing bears in a ridiculous fashion, laughing my ass off when my character swings his battleaxe worse than Stevie Wonder.

Well, this is just a quick stop before the real gunner appears in my mail box tomorrow. The postal service better not fuck it up, if the game isn´t there when I wake up I will rain down an ungodly fucking firestorm upon the world. It will be Ragnarok all over again, annihilating the population (and postal office) in one fell swoop. Or I just go back into the apartment and play more Skyrim.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
Bayonetta 2 (Switch) - played the flashback chapter XIII and it was great. started out as a nod to the first game, with a mystery guest, and then it turned into the greatest Bayonetta level ever! greatest hits journey into the underworld and through Hell! loved it.

Dragon's Lair (Switch) - this is so sweet. vintage 1983 fantasy animation with the classic optical effects and film grain and everything. this has aged like a fine wine. an interactive early 80s movie about going through a castle and evading traps and monsters and evil wizards and trying to save the damsel. very classic & archetypal. it is fun to play through, learning the layout of the rooms, almost as if they were levels in a real game. (lol this is a real game.) such a cool thing to have been made, and so ahead of it's time. plays nice, lots of save/continue options, extras. comes with the sequel and Space Ace.

Devil may cry 4, and having a great time. Good antidote after going through 1 month of kingdom hearts games
Not sure I will get through before kh 3 but I give a decent try

Duellist

Still working my way through Dragon Quest 11. Halfway through chapter 2 I think. Also playing divinity original sin 2 although I have not touched it since starting DQ. Now I'm trying to decide if I should buy Kingdom Hearts or not lol

MasterWarlords

Neo Member
I really enjoy playing Olympus Rising , because it has very innovative and unique features , the downside is that it easily can make you edicted to play if al the time.

Lanrutcon

Stonehearth. Village simulator. I'm on my third re-embarkation with the desert people in a desert biome. Things are going great, just need some sunflowers to build a war shrine and then I'll summon Cthulu to have my mole golems dig up the tentacles. After Cthulu I'm pretty much done with the game.

And then it's Nioh. Going to force myself to finish that.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
New Super Mario Bros U Deluxe (NSW)

At rock candy mountain right now and really loving it. It isn’t brain dead easy and the level & art design feels like a natural progression from Super Mario World.

Oh boy it never really slows down. I did just finish Astrobot and Tetris Effect for PSVR, I'm really hoping for release dates for Blood & Truth, Vacation Simulator and maybe the most anticipated game of the year for me, Dreams.

I've been playing the shit out of Ace Combat 7's VR missions which have been insane, playing Resident Evil 2 R, Red Dead Redemption (of course) and Star Wars Battlefront 2, stacking credits to buy Count Dooku who is out now and Anakin when he releases in February in another free update in EA's attempt to apologize to the gaming community for shitting on an otherwise pretty decent game with loot crates.

Last edited:

Fox Mulder

Just wrapped up the order 1886. I got it on sale for like $3 and knew it was a quick game that could fit in before I start something meaty like Yakuza 0.

It still looks great and has a very interesting and unique premise. The shooting is standard template stuff, but I would love a sequel that fixed all the flaws. The story is also left open for the sequel that never came.

lachesis

Well, I bought a PS4 Pro (finally) last weekend - along with Spiderman, Last of Us remake (never played original - the original that I bought on day 1 is still in shrink wrap lol), Dragon Quest XI - and Persona 5.

I played all of them for about 30 min, and ended up going with Persona 5 - having a blast, just finished the fist palace and moving onto 2nd palace now!

elCT

Neo Member
I completed Oxenfree yesterday as a part of my “12 games in 12 months” project.

76eb9241ba8dde493875490f50a9de69.jpg

The game disappointed me in the end. However, if you enjoy mysticism and adventures and you haven't read a lot of good books with the same style and theme, I recommend you to give it a try. It's very short (around 3 hours for a playthrough, at least Steam reads so, but I felt that it was more like 5 hours) and you might love it.

I am still glad that I played it and knocked it off my backlog. Although I am making a note for my future self not to play the games which I know what to expect from in terms of storytelling. I read too much Lovecraft and teenager fiction when I was younger.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
Overwatch - haven't touched it in months but can't get enough of it right now.

No Man's Sky - trying it again which is probably about at least the 5th attempt. despite performance still being absolute trash (6700K, 32GB, RTX 2080) the gameplay is significantly improved.

Pokemon Let's Go - was playing it this morning. I am playing local co-op with myself :messenger_downcast_sweat: because A) i have no friends B) it seems to be levelling up my pokemon faster C) I hate having to use just one controller when docked.

Other games I'm playing when I feel like it:

PC: Forza 7, Forza Horizon 4, Fortnite, Runescape
PS4: Nothing really....only game I haven't finished is RDR2 but it bores me to death.
Switch: Zelda, Odyssey, NSMBUD, Smash.

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
Playing Hitman. I didn't know you had to be online to do... Anything. Nothing is saved and nothing is available if you're offline. You've got the main missions with a Silverballer and a fiber wire and that's it if you're offline. Absolute bullshit. I looked it up and Hitman 2 is the same, which is a shame. I can't support that kind of game design, so I will not be buying Hitman 2. Hopefully they knock if off with the next sequel.

Codes 208

-BotW Master mode. Never just took the time to beat this. Of the hundreds of hours I’ve spent playing this game it’s mainly been just dicking around but I was recently revitalized to give this another shot to get the true ending. Also the motorcycle.
-Fortnite. Because I gotta get my MP kicks somehow.
-SSBU. Again, MP kicks (but with friends!)
-Shovel Knight. I was watching Game Grumps play through this and it gave me the urge to finish it.

I intended to start AC: Odyssey after finishing RDR2 but I just keep going back to old save games to explore things I missed before. There are so many great moments in camp that are even better knowing what is coming and the missions are open enough to allow for new ways of doing them.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
MGSV: TPP

just did the side op "Eliminate the Armored Vehicle Unit 14" which was several tank units scattered in the sand dunes that pretty much guaranteed an instant kill upon discovery. there are also scattered troops and a helicopter flying overhead that has crazy strong armor. i shot it with my leveled up sniper rifle about a dozen times and no smoke or fire, it just destroyed me w machine gun spray. later i used my CGM multi rocket launcher on it, but it was at the start of the mission, and it alerted all the tanks to my presence, and they blew me up. so you have to do this one smart. i like leaving the tanks til the end with these side ops but that can be risky. luckily i had D-Dog with me, running up ahead to take out snipers. it was a lot of fun.

MGS: PW

i was at the endgame of this and then my PS3 shut off while saving and it erased my entire save. so im playing thru again, skipping all cutscenes, as it isn't that long a game. im almost at Peace Walker again. great artwork in this game! the manga style cutscenes are worth playing through this alone.

Last edited:

Daniel Thomas MacInnes

GAF's Resident Saturn Omnibus
I've been going through all the Atari Lynx games for some reason. I really didn't plan that, but a short post has turned into a quest to write short reviews on the entire software library. I'm telling myself that I could add in developer interviews and publish it as a book. Of course, we're talking about a book that would sell ten copies, but, hey, it still pads out my resume.

KingD82

Neo Member
Super Mario Galaxy 2
Devil May Cry

So far I'm loving Mario Galaxy 2. I've had it for years but never go around to playing it.
DMCs pretty good, nothing special though.

brap

Banned
Addicted to Far Cry 4 currently. Also playing some of that J-Stars Victory+ or whatever it's called.

Mr Branding

The Last Guardian. Nice change of pace since I recently dropped Horizon ZD as I couldn't take it's meh open world formula any longer.
The controls take a bit of time to get used to but otherwise, I'm hooked.

Orta

Banned
Playing Thumper on psvr at the moment.

Started slow and a bit dull but I'm on level 3 now and am adapting. Fuck me its intense, I felt like Homer Simpson tripping in a massager chair at one point, music thumping, eerie graphics, light show, lightning speed.....

Weird af.

Top Bottom