• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What game are you currently playing?

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Playing the classics is very important to me even though today's games are generational defining masterpieces in their own right.

Currently playing
81-iGyyz5-L._SX569_.jpg

Resistance 3. What a game. The campaign was really good. I feel bad that I waited so long to play it. The gameplay is great. The weapons are true to Insomniac's inventiveness. You can juggle weapons and the variety of combinations you can do is cool. Its just sad that this is their last Resistance game, although it ends the story in a respectable way. Insomniac did a great job.

Judgment. 21 hours in and on Chapter 9 of 12. Barely played it the past week, but I am hoping to finish it soon. GOTY for me easily. I love it so much.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Apex
Path of Exile
Spiderman
Wolfenstein 2

Id recommend all except wolfenstein. The AI in this game just kills it for me

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
I started Days Gone. It's ok. Nothing stands out, out of the ordinary, not sure if I'm gonna stick with it yet. Wanted this summer to finally be the year I beat FFXV, but couldn't bring myself to play it just yet. Hopefully after this(if I finish it).

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Finally forced myself to hit the credits Yoshi’s Crafted World after stupidly impulse buying it digitally around launch and dropping it a bunch of times. That may be the most boring game I’ve ever played. Zero interest in touching the end game content. Felt good to uninstall.

I won’t rant more than that as I hate being negative about hobbies and I’m the one that decided to force myself to at least hit the credits as a penance for the impulse digital buy. Stopping those was one of my New Year’s resolutions. This and NSMBU Deluxe were my two failures there. Early on. I at least like Mario, just didn’t need it since I beat it on Wii U.

Rest of the weekend I may play some of the final Splatfest (if I still have the game installed), some Mario Maker 2 or NSMBU, maybe some Borderlands Presequel and Path of Exile.

Celcius

°Temp. member
Still playing FF14. I finished ShadowBringers so now maybe I'l look into how to change my chocobo color

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
I did still have it installed so I played a bunch of the final Splatfest in Splatoon 2 last night and this evening. Grinded up to Chaos King and contributed 237k clout toward the event.

Mostly had fun, but I doubt I’ll play the game again (beyond checking in tomorrow to see which side won) and they’ll have to chase a ton for me to be interested in a sequel as I already put around half as much time into this one as the first as it’s gotten pretty stale for me.

Last edited by a moderator:

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Finished walking dead final season,
that fucking fake out during the last ep got me, was about to punch my screen
. Good stuff if you like those games.

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
I’m tackling another title from my Pile of Shame, Mike Tyson’s Punch-Out!!

Just got to Mr. Sandman and wow...my thumb is red raw and I still haven’t beat him. Mercy.

EDIT: I JUST BEAT HIM! SUCK IT SANDMAN!!

giphy.gif

EDIT #2: Made it to Mike Tyson. Get the fuck outta here...

Last edited:

Animagic

Banned
Played a fair bit of Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3 off and on this weekend. It has highs and lows, but overall I think it’s missing something. Not sure what exactly but I think more refining time would have helped it.

I’m not fully satisfied with it but I don’t hate it either.

EricB

I'm finishing up Ganbare Goemon 3 on Super Famicom--the only one of the SF games I haven't completed. I'm also in the middle of Trails in the Sky 3rd on Vita, so once I finish GG3, I'll probably dedicate myself to finally getting through that.

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
Just started playing Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura, some old isometric RPG from like 2000 or something. Looks pretty interesting so far, I'm like 2 hours in.
I’ve owned that since it released and still never played it past 15 minutes. It’s on my pile of shame.

I tried State of Decay 2 as part of the Game Pass for PC... Narp... nothing in this game is for me... So... back to AC Origins, which I still really, really like.

Makariel

Absolutely nothing for almost 2 months :messenger_frowning_

I'm still halfway through Sekiro, have Resident Evil VII, No Man's Sky, Witcher 3 Blood & Wine and the Kindom Come Deliverance DLC waiting for me, but no time or when I'm home I'm too damn tired to play.

Fun game, yeah? Surprised me to no end. Very tight little RPG.

I'm back grinding it out in Grim Dawn. Vit RE Cabalist reached 100 over the weekend. Prepping to go farm the Dark One set.

Very fun! I started it by accident but I can't stop! I'm almost ready for a second run, I just need two legendary weapons (for which I'm obliged to make the last dungeon)

Virex

Banned
I had unfinished business with Drakengard 3 and Nier. I finished both but never got the platinum trophies. So I'm done with Drakengard 3 and got my platinum and busy with Nier. I've done almost everything. Just need some material to upgrade all my weapons. It's fucking grueling. But I'm watching through all of Ventures Bros. episodes while I'm grinding for the last few materials I need.

Yumi

Finally started playing Xenoblade Chronicles 2. Just reached chapter 3. Loved and played a lot of Xenoblade 1, so I've felt pretty comfortable with the game so far. I'm used to all the tutorials even though they were annoying.

So far really enjoying it, it hasn't hooked me like 1 did from the start yet, but it's growing on me. This is directed mostly towards the characters. The cut scenes seem really weak compared to xenoblade 1, and the voice acting/writing still hasn't clicked for me. Cant tell if I should do Japanese with subs yet.

If the characters grow on me more, I can see myself loving this as much as the 1st one.

theosi

Finished up Tokyo Xanadu eX+ the other day (bit of a slog, but enjoyed it for the most part) and now I'm jumping back into Darksiders III!

Got the day off so I'm hoping to put a serious dent into it today, Having a lot of fun with it.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
After finishing Bloodstained I felt like playing more of the Castlevania series. I own almost all the game(s) except a few (Curse of Darkness, Judgement, and maybe something else), so I knew I had a wide selection to choose from. I picked up the GBA titles via Virtual Console on the Wii U ever since they launched. That seemed like the perfect place to start over. I started with Arie of Sorrow. IGA’s Castlevania; because why not? Bloodstained was a breath of fresh air and I wanted to save that replay of Symphony of the Night for another time. There’s a small treasure to be found on the GBA. These games made their way into my possession at least once in the last decade, but I never took the time to complete them like I did the DS Castlevania game(s).

Arie of Sorrow was definitely a great game. The game has you play as Soma. You arrive at Castlevania not knowing why or how Ifs come back to existence. Considering this castle is up and running, something has to have the dark lord’s power? The plot twist and the overall story are pretty good. I actually enjoyed the big reveal at the end.

Gameplay: Being able to wield different weapons and having their movement speeds differ made the game feel like you had some strategy to the combat, a lot like Symphony of the Night. You can fight demons to obtain their souls. You equip two, one can be manually used while the other is passive or is always active. The game has its IGA twist where if you weren’t looking at a guide online you’re missing out. Much like how Bloodstained has its twist. The multiple endings are quite nice. The true final boss is both an interesting and odd way to end a game. The level design flowed together very well in its design. I was very impressed by Arie of Sorrow. I couldn’t put it down and it left a lasting impression for sure. I can see why some hail it as the best Castlevania on the GBA. The boss fights are fun and impressive by design.

Next up was Circle of the Moon. This game starts you off at square one. You start with just a whip and a lot of ground to cover. You feel like you’re controlling an original GameBoy character because you have none of the abilities, magic, and little health. The thing about Circle of the Moon is that it feels like one giant leap in progression. The further you get the more versatile and powerful you become. You get to a boss and it’s challenging. Boss fights started off so simple and became complex. It has an excellent variety of bosses. At times it felt like this castle was going to annoy me with all its complexity, but the progression really changed things up. If anything I was backtracking to smaller parts just for the health/magic upgrade and to add a percentage to the map. Some of the bosses are very cool by design.

Gameplay: Circle of the Moon is a whip-only Castlevania. You have cards which give you abilities like a fire whip, orbs, or added defense/offense. I only used 1 card through the entire game, so it felt useless at times to get all the cards from enemies. The agility or moves you unlock allow you to unfold the map, which are satisfying to get after defeating a boss. I felt right at home after a while. One thing that really changes things up are the harder enemies once you reach a certain point in the game/level. You go back to a beginning area and the monsters are different and they’re much stronger than before. It made leveling up much easier and it made something old feel new again. A great addition if you ask me. The boss fights are excellent, ranging from simple to complex. Circle of the Moon has one of the hardest final bosses I’ve ever faced on handheld and console. It took me a couple hours to finally beat it. I can totally see a Castlevania Collection 2 with these games. Circle of the Moon even has a special devil. That and the war room alone deserve a trophy or achievement. Circle of the Moon is an excellent game with an incredibly difficult final boss. Arie of Sorrow topped my list due to Circle of the Moon having somewhat of a confusing map layout, but Circle of the Moon builds itself up very well. I was surpassed by how powerful I felt at the very end versus how you start off in the game.

The game is older than AoS and HoD. I read where Circle of the Moon was a very dark to look at due to the GBA not having a back light. So far both games were very good. I had originally planned to play Order of Ecclesia again, but my I had to reorder a copy. I started Arie of Sorrow and then moved on. I plan on continuing this triple pack adventure by finishing Harmony of Dissonance. I got about 30% the way through Harmony of Dissonance and then switched games when I played it years ago. I started from the beginning and I’m looking forward to see how it compares to the other two. Does anyone else have a good memory or recent play through of any of these Castlevania game(s) on the GameBoy Advance?

Trying to 100% trophies on DOOM 2016 to be ready for DOOM Eternal. Loved of what I played of Eternal at E3 game will be a massive success!

I am done with all the DLC and Arcade Trophies and majority of the core single player trophy wise. I just need to finish 3 to 5 more levels and get all the collectibles in them. I am at Lazarus Labs. After I do all of this I'll get the Platinum and 100% of trophies in the entire game. Stoked!

Last edited:

WindomURL

Playing through The Surge again on ps4pro. It's truly badass and is one of the more unsung Souls clones. Superior in every way to LotF. The deep love that the devs have for its hallowed progenitor is woven plainly into its dna.

Excellent level design despite some rather uninspired and derivative aesthetics. Unlocking shortcuts back to the medbays gives me that familiar old goodfeel. Highly recommended to any Soulsfans who may have slept.

Korso

Playing No Man's Sky... again...

I played it at launch and, like most hype-train passengers, was underwhelmed to say the least. Recently watched a video about how it's much better and decided to give it another go. Pleasantly surprised to be honest.

I would recomend it to people who wanted the promised game from the beginning. It's not for everyone tho.

Theatrhythm

Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest

I can't stop

send help

BTW good to see MM 3D at the top of this page. There is SO much to still play on the 3DS, and DS even. Thousands of hours of great games that most people will never touch on those platforms. If you don't own these handhelds do yourself a favour and pick them up while they're still somewhat available on the second-hand market.

Playing No Man's Sky... again...

I played it at launch and, like most hype-train passengers, was underwhelmed to say the least. Recently watched a video about how it's much better and decided to give it another go. Pleasantly surprised to be honest.

I would recomend it to people who wanted the promised game from the beginning. It's not for everyone tho.

I'm done playing games at launch for this very reason, unless it's a franchise I really love (which makes a poor launch sting even more).

Last edited:

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
You're missing out. What an amazing game.
I’ve been “planning to play it” for years, lol. At this point I’m waiting until I move my PC back to a dedicated desk and room. At the moment my PC is hooked up to my tv in the loungeroom and I don’t wan’t to play an isometric RPG that way. I really do want to play it though.

Virex

Banned
I’ve been “planning to play it” for years, lol. At this point I’m waiting until I move my PC back to a dedicated desk and room. At the moment my PC is hooked up to my tv in the loungeroom and I don’t wan’t to play an isometric RPG that way. I really do want to play it though.
You definitely should. You're going to love it.

Enzo88

I am on my quest to re-play and re-rank my favorite games ever, generation by generation. I am going through gen 5 now (streaming it on twitch /youtube btw), and yesterday i just re-beat Resident Evil 2 in a couple of hours, today will probably start Resident Evil 3 on PS1 (all Japanese versions, i live in Tokyo).

DW74

BioShock Infinite. My backlog is vast, so I decided to grab this one up and actually play it. I'm not necessarily sure I understand everything that happened, but I sure had a fun time doing it. And what a beautiful environment. Comstock House was just amazing. I just started the Burial at Sea DLC this morning.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 740922

Unconfirmed Member
Starting South Park - The Fractured But Whole on One X

Loved Stick of Truth (apart from the fart tutorials at times 😣)

Bryank75

Banned
Just finished Life is Strange, playing Telltales Batman right now....
Trying to really cut through my backlog. Still, have loads to play.

Few I'm close to platinum too, like God of War, Tekken 7 and Ratchet and Clank.

Last edited:

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
I’m determined to finish Battletoads for the first time. All I will say at this point is the Clinger Winger stage can go and get fucked.

Metal Gear 5 recently came out on game pass, and I have to say, in terms of it's gameplay, it is perfection.
Also recently played Metro Exodus, can't really get into it, which is sad as I loved the previous one.
Tried Hollow Knight as I love metroidvania, but....... I got stuck really early on.....

shaddam

Onechanbara on PS4, and Danganronpa on Vita. I really like the plot so far. I ordered some ps3 games from ebay (like Lollipop Chainsaw:messenger_winking_tongue:), I also have some leftover ps3 games only missing a few trophy to platinum. I'm planning to finish them, but my backlog keeps getting bigger, I feel like its a good time to get cheap ps3 games

Top Bottom