• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What game are you currently playing?

Tahj

Finished Bioshock 2 main campaign a cpl days ago - it'd been so long, it was like a new game (as opposed to Bioshock which I've played tons of times). Now I'm on my 5th? run of Witcher 3 🙃

Paltheos

Finished Trails of Cold Steel II a couple weeks ago. I'm of the unpopular opinion that the first game is better than the sequel. tldr is that CS2 leans too heavy on the anime. In more detail, the first game is meticulously constructed (for the most part) in scenario and the play-to-play execution. Playing as a student is nothing new, but cutting the whole party up into groups on 'field studies' is carefully setup to bring the right characters with the protag to make each scenario the most interesting as the main plot stirs on in the background as you and your team are clearly mere watchers, for the most part, in a much larger political game. The use of railroads as a motif is inspired - The changing title screen as you befriend more of your classmates and travel to different locales across the country is a beautiful touch. All the other Persona elements work well enough. Music is fantastic (this is Falcom, yo) and the battle system fun enough. The villains are kinda dumb most throughout, but I'm a big fan of how the end twists play out, and how well the final battle plays out in-game, particularly the sound and visual design (I'm not talking about just the music, which is also great).

CS2... can't really cash that check. It's not bad, but it's too inconsistent, in that anime way - And there are elements of in the first game too but they're just not as tolerable imo. Almost everyone you encounter is monstrously strong without bothering to set standards but you can also still take everyone (kinda). Worst offender in this regard is the climax near the midway point which had a resolution that had me laughing out loud at how implausible it was - The character motivations just don't line up. The careful work from the first game was lost imo in the scramble once shit in-game hit the fan. Recycled old locations generally don't offend me too much - The added locations and connecting areas shed a little more light on the world and I liked that exploration and world-building from the first game allot. The game does tend to reuse allot of tracks though and with a few notable exceptions, surprisingly, I don't like allot of the new songs. I had fun though - the add-ons to the battle system are a good touch, and the conclusion is ok.

Started up Bloodborne finally last week. My first thoughts (and still are) is that Dark Souls 3 is a funner game. Those first few hours through the labyrinthine streets of Yharnam are not an easy time, and I don't particularly enjoy the sawblade or hunter's pistol. I was such a scrub that I tried out the wooden shield the games gives you out of contempt and pity. All that changed after I got Ludwig's holy blade though. Holy shit this thing is good. Now that I can play the game just relying on dodging and staggering, it's way more fun.

Eimran

Dragon Quest XI on PS4. Been waiting since VIII (10 years) for a re-entry on Playstation. It doesn't outrank VIII but it's definitely a worthy succesor.

M.W.

Attempting to get back into Battlefront 2 on Xbox. I previously played on PS4. Holy hell do newbies get slaughtered.

SpiceRacz

Playing RE2 on Vita while I wait for Steamworld Heist to arrive from GameFly. Thinking about buying YS VIII since it's on sale right now.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Battlefield 5's Marita. Now I want to see more Mediterranean maps. I don't see what the problem gamers have with this game, seems like it's just Battlefield fatigue.

TLZ

Banned
Really? Might be time for me to step back in.
Yea give it a try. It's closer to its former self imo. Ball physics feel very nice and can create some random encounters. The game feels more physical overall. And it finally has more fouls. Keepers aren't as floaty as the last few years and come out better. There's more contextual passing and shooting error I feel too.

It just feels better overall.

If you're into a more arcade game though I don't think you'll like it.

Last edited:

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
Yea give it a try. It's closer to its former self imo. Ball physics feel very nice and can create some random encounters. The game feels more physical overall. And it finally has more fouls. Keepers aren't as floaty as the last few years and come out better. There's more contextual passing and shooting error I feel too.

It just feels better overall.

If you're into a more arcade game though I don't think you'll like it.
I used to love PES over FIFA from PS2 era until 360/PS3. Haven’t really touched either since. I prefer realism to arcade style. I might download the demo. I only have a PC and Switch this gen, so looks like I’ll have to go PC. I have no idea why this isn’t on Switch. Would be great with Master League.

Reactions: TLZ

TLZ

Banned
I used to love PES over FIFA from PS2 era until 360/PS3. Haven’t really touched either since. I prefer realism to arcade style. I might download the demo. I only have a PC and Switch this gen, so looks like I’ll have to go PC. I have no idea why this isn’t on Switch. Would be great with Master League.
Same here. I did play the PS360 and PS4 versions, but I was always disappointed with them. This one though, I'm yet to get bored of it. Which hasn't happened in the last 13 years or so for me. I hope you like it :)

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Just finished a Darksiders 3 and I liked it waaaay more than I thought. I liked it more than Days Gone, which I finished right before.

Do all Darksiders have this format? 3 is the first I’ve played. Unlocking new areas with new abilities, almost Metroid esque.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Luigis Mansion 2 on the 3DS.

While I did like the first one quite a bit (played it for the first time as well 2 weeks ago on the 3DS) this one is a whole different level. I mean, holy shit. Just how much can you improve on a good game? Literally the only thing I’m still a bit torn on is the mission structure because I wish I could explore more freely. However, thanks to this you can make different things happen in the same rooms on each mission. So I dunno....

The rest however... Just blows me away.

Really growing fond of Nintendo lately. What a shame I ignored them for so long. Their focus on fun gameplay without hassling for story or cinematics is just so refreshing. Love it! ALBW was already on of the best games I have ever played and LM2 so far seems on a similar level.

DonF

Into the Breach (fantastic game), finished the free trial for Mario Tennis Aces (boring) and Apex (please send help I can't stop playing this game)

BLAUcopter

Gold Member
Pillars of eternity on Switch and Modern Warfare 3 via Xbox backwards compat lol. The thirst for the new Modern Warfare is real.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
fully on this Nioh train at the moment. when it's frustrating, it's really frustrating, but outside of some problem areas, i genuinely like this more than Dark Souls 2.

stranno

Second playthrough of From Software's Thousand Land.

It is, by far, the worst From Software game i've ever played. A mix of Populous and Totally Accurate Battle Simulator with Pikmin knockoffs called APOS.

Its not exactly a terrible game but AI design is really stupid (it tries to be a Black & White learning AI but it totally fails), progression sucks and single player barely makes any sense, since it was developed around the prehistoric Xbox Live.

If you are a From Software's completionist (like me) you should use the english translation, published a few weeks ago, since descriptions tell you which rival you need to fight to progress in each level. In Japanese it could be an endless trial and error quest.

Last edited:

shutup

Neo Member
I'mma let you finish, but I do need a step-by-step tutorial on how to do this :O
It's the PPSSPP emulator running over android 8.1.0 system on Nintendo Switch.

The PS4 can run a lot of metal gear games over linux too

And the xbox one runs this game using emulation with backwards compatibility

A normal phone can run this game

salute

#Phonepunk#

Banned
playing Battlefront 2 (2005) for the first time. it's pretty amazing. i was in the clone wars switching through different roles on the battlefield, and it was pretty cool, then i get a message that Mace Windu showed up, and now I'm playing as him and leaping through the air like Superman while icing droids left and right. the most fun!

Last edited:
Replaying Quake for the first time in 15 years. How did they nail 3D level and combat design so well in their first attempt?
After so many years of modern shooters (and coming from a replay of Doom 3 BFG) it feels like I'm through the looking glass here... It's VERY different from modern shooters, including anything by id after Quake 2. And what's with the focus on explosives?! There are more grenades flying around than in a hacked Modern Warfare 2 match!

And then there's the weird as fuck art and sound design. It's a nightmarish experience. I wonder how much of the sound is actually Trent Reznor's voice. I've been playing this all day and it got under my skin :messenger_hushed: It's not as impactful as Doom 3's hell but it's very unpleasant. It feels wrong in all the good ways. Whoever designed those enemies was clearly on drugs and then Reznor turned the weirdness to eleven. Fuck those zombies in particular :messenger_hushed::messenger_hushed::messenger_hushed::messenger_hushed::messenger_hushed::messenger_hushed::messenger_hushed:

Also playing Doom RPG on the phone. Grabbed it from some website and loaded it with J2ME on Android. Very cool game, really clever and fun. Deserves to be ported to modern hardware.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Replaying Quake for the first time in 15 years. How did they nail 3D level and combat design so well in their first attempt?
After so many years of modern shooters (and coming from a replay of Doom 3 BFG) it feels like I'm through the looking glass here... It's VERY different from modern shooters, including anything by id after Quake 2. And what's with the focus on explosives?! There are more grenades flying around than in a hacked Modern Warfare 2 match!

And then there's the weird as fuck art and sound design. It's a nightmarish experience. I wonder how much of the sound is actually Trent Reznor's voice. I've been playing this all day and it got under my skin :messenger_hushed: It's not as impactful as Doom 3's hell but it's very unpleasant. It feels wrong in all the good ways. Whoever designed those enemies was clearly on drugs and then Reznor turned the weirdness to eleven. Fuck those zombies in particular :messenger_hushed::messenger_hushed::messenger_hushed::messenger_hushed::messenger_hushed::messenger_hushed::messenger_hushed:

Also playing Doom RPG on the phone. Grabbed it from some website and loaded it with J2ME on Android. Very cool game, really clever and fun. Deserves to be ported to modern hardware.
Doom RPG is really fun. If you're down for spin-offs, try out Doom Roguelike. Same devs released a game earlier this month called Jupiter Hell which is intended as a sequel.

John Day

Currently playing FF XIV catching up on Stormblood, almost finishing.

Small doses of Three Houses here and there too. But NMS Beyond is making me play for a couple days i can see 🤣

Kadayi

Banned
With 2.0 Dropping I figured I should pop into NMS again and see what's shaking. Somewhat annoyingly I lost my saves due to a hardware issue a few months back so I had to start fresh, but at the same time, it affords me a good opportunity to check out the more streamlined opening section, which has definitely been made a bit more straight forward. They have clearly done a lot of work on improving the tutorials so you can familiarise yourselves with the systems in a more effective manner.

D

Deleted member 740922

Unconfirmed Member
Playing the Journey part of FIFA 19 (PS4 Pro) which I got cheap last week 🙂

RPS37

Just rolled credits on God of War (PS4) . Keep getting sucked into Forza Horizon 4. Want to start TLOUR next, but I also want to try to finish Horizon:ZD possibly instead...

Last edited:

CSmath22

Banned
I tried giving WoW another shot (after a 10+ year break) and thinking about playing classic, but I doubt I'll continue playing either.

SwishPants

Neo Member
Apex Legends - Still very fun to me
No Mans Sky - Even better now after today’s 2.0 update
Red Dead Redemption 2 - Messing around with online a bit
Firewatch - Playing through it for the second time

Edit: Added a game

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Over the last two weeks, I finished two games. The first was Vampyr (8.5/10) which is a great game, underrated and a hidden gem of 2018. The second game that I finished literally a few minutes ago was A Plague Tale: Innocence (9.0/10) which is an excellent game, also underrated and a hidden gem on 2019. I'm NOT* into these types of games but damn, it easily surpassed Until Dawn, Hellblade and Detroit: Become Human. Both games also did two things - first, I became a fan of Focus Home Interactive and second, I will keep an eye on Dontnod and Asobo in regards to their future titles.

EDIT: NOT*

Last edited by a moderator:

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Finished Bloodstained IGA DLC. I didn’t realize backer keys were available. That was good. Awesome that his style is like the other infamous boss.

Bloodborne has been a good memory game until Astral Chain comes out. I booted up Gears of War Ultimate Edition with my spouse. She said she doesn’t have an opinion yet since we just got to the second section of Act 1. I kinda wanted to get her into Gears. Split screen is kinda strange. I did it many years ago, but having played solo for long. It’s so strange seeing two screens again.

bronk

Banned
Right now I'm playing House in Fata Morgana and LOVE it. After working alot lately I come home and set it to auto play and just relax and read. Its so engrossing. Anyone who enjoys VNs needs to give it a shot. Grabbed the physical version on PS4.

Top Bottom