• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What game are you currently playing?

Sleepwalker

Gold Member
Have been on a huge binge and attacking my backlog for the past month and a half or so and beat:

Spiderman PS4
Days gone PS4
God of War PS4
Horizon Zero dawn PS4
RE2 (almost didnt beat it, im too much of a chicken)
Shadow of the tomb raider x1

Also gave the 3 metro games a shot but didn't like them.

Currently playing Middle earth: shadow of mordor on the xbox one.

Really enjoying it and would recommend it, I missed all the mtx/grind controversy when it launched so it didn't taint my view on the game. It's really a lot of fun even if repetitive at times, the nemesis system is very fun.

Trying to complete it in time for Gears 5 and then It'll be right into FIFA 20 for me.

Last edited:

Codswallop_

Neophyte
Just started Divinity Original Sin 2. Wow this is great! Liking the dialog choices a ton already. Playing on PS4, only complaint so far is the camera feels a bit finicky in tight quarters.

Roberts

It's not like I was really disappointed in it (those kinds of games are not really my thing), but didn't like Devil May Cry 5 at all. Terrible writing, annoying characters, eye-rolling humor - it all feels like something written by a sexually frustrated teenager. I would be ok with it if the gameplay and the world-building were excellent, but it is nothing to write home about. Everything feels and looks very samey, absolutely no desire to look for secrets and after trying to learn all the combos, I realized that the game doesn't really punish you for simply relying on button-mashing. It is quite possible I don't understand the charm of it (and I haven't played any of the previous games), but have too little time to waste on something I don't like - DNF.

BLAUcopter

Gold Member
Have you noticed a lot of bugs/crashes? I’ve seen it mentioned a bit. Got me worried.

Also, how are the loading times?
Look, it's buggy but to have such a massive old school RPG on the Switch was too good to pass up. There is a patch coming so maybe wait until that's out.

Hostile_18

Banned
Finished Control just doing the last few things for the plat today.

Over all I'd give it a 7/10. Alan Wake, Deadly Premonition, Evil Within 1 and 2 are far, far superior in this vein but it was worth the asking price.

Last edited:

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
just started Spyro on PC.

been playing a lot of Kerbal Space Program again on PC.

other than that....the usual Rocket League.

might try WoW classic.

i have a million more games i want to play but not enough time.

Kagero

i've been looking at this. looks kinda cool. i might pick it up.
It is essentially a much more accessible souls game with guns. Bosses are awesome and playing with a party of three is super fun. It's probably going to end up being the sleeper hit of the year.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Started playing through Bravely Default. Only ~2 hours in. I was surprised that I actually had to grind early on! I just lost to the Black Mage north of the city.

I'm about halfway through Control (great game, a breath of fresh air IMHO) and tomorrow I'm ready for Gears 5... in the meantime I'm also delighting with Wreckfest. :messenger_beaming:

I'm currently on the last chapter of Vito's story in Mafia II: Director's Cut (on the PC). Don't think I will continue though. I know the ending.
One of the major downsides of games that are heavily driven by a story line, is the lack of replay value. It has to be one of the most gorgeous and detailed games of the last generation, and luckily there's space between chapters and mods that allows you to explore Empire Bay freely. Fuck 2K Games for ruining a great game that could've been one of the very best, detailed games of all-time.

Hostile_18

Banned
I'm currently on the last chapter of Vito's story in Mafia II: Director's Cut (on the PC). Don't think I will continue though. I know the ending.
One of the major downsides of games that are heavily driven by a story line, is the lack of replay value. It has to be one of the most gorgeous and detailed games of the last generation, and luckily there's space between chapters and mods that allows you to explore Empire Bay freely. Fuck 2K Games for ruining a great game that could've been one of the very best, detailed games of all-time.

Disagree :)

Story is what makes a game memorable and makes you want to come back. If you just want to mess about in an open world buy any Ubisoft game.

A tight linear experience with a good story is so much more enjoyable for me.

Generally its Mafia 3s none story missions that are generally regarded as the weaker elements.

Last edited:
Disagree :)

Story is what makes a game memorable and makes you want to come back. If you just want to mess about in an open world buy any Ubisoft game.

A tight linear experience with a good story is so much more enjoyable for me.

Generally its Mafia 3s none story missions that are generally regarded as the weaker elements.

Yeah, I may be generalizing too much, and complaining about the wrong issue. Hell, Shenmue is one of my favorite games of all-time, and that is heavily story-driven too. My problem is the game's length; it was supposed to be much, much longer when it was in development. Like I said: 2K Games ruined a potentially all-time classic. Still a great game though.

Hostile_18

Banned
Yeah, I may be generalizing too much, and complaining about the wrong issue. Hell, Shenmue is one of my favorite games of all-time, and that is heavily story-driven too. My problem is the game's length; it was supposed to be much, much longer when it was in development. Like I said: 2K Games ruined a potentially all-time classic. Still a great game though.

Did you ever play the first one? I loved that one so much more.

With two it seemed it only really picked up proper about half way through the game.

I had a good time with all of them however :)

Did you ever play the first one? I loved that one so much more.

With two it seemed it only really picked up proper about half way through the game.

I had a good time with all of them however :)

Yes, I played the first game fairly recently as matter of fact. Very impressive game for the time in terms of story-telling and detail. In some respects I even consider it superior to it's sequel. Also like the reference in Mafia II to the first game's protagonist, which I won't spoil for newcomers.

Have not tried Mafia III yet, but it's on my list.

I'm not even going to mention the fact that a potential Hidden & Dangerous III would've been so awesome on the engine that Mafia II ran on...

Last edited:
I'm playing PES 2019, Rule of Rose, Harvest Moon The Tale of Two Towns and The Pinball Arcade. Here's a few screens of my own.

zita5Uk.png

0XbOZqw.png

bOlwaqT.png

MnUoyvQ.png

ReOh5si.png

DZjLroE.png

Rule of Rose is not as great as its rarity/collectiblity. It's got some decent, sometimes creepy atmosphere and does a few things well, but it doesn't get anywhere close to genre heights on PS2 or elsewhere imo.

PES is always great for me. I've poured hundreds of hours into the franchise over the years.

Harvest Moon is always great for me, and Tale of Two Towns is no exception.

Pinball (real and virtual) is always great for me, and I'm always playing The Pinball Arcade for some quick games to pass the time. That will never leave my rotation.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Currently playing:

Astral Chain (focus - handheld)
Catherine: Full Body (focus - home console)

On the backlock (top being the priority, also includes future releases):
Final Fantasy VIII - Home Console
Breath of Fire (SNES Classic) - Handheld

Life is Strange: Before the Storm - Home Console
NG - Handheld

Death Stranding - Home Console
Collection of Mana - Handheld

Thurible

I completed mario oddysey with all 999 moons (didn't collect all the unique world coins or all the hats and clothes, but this is good enough).

Unlocked every character in Smash bros ultimate and completed world of light. I finished by killing galeem and plunging the world into darkness. I feel like I got the bad ending for doing this but I don't know if I can shift the tide back to galeem's favor and kill dharkon instead.

I plan on playing Okami HD on my switch tommorrow (I hear it is similar in gameplay to zelda) and on the 20th I will get and play the newly remade Link's Awakening.

Pallas

Still trotting away on Witcher 3 but decided to delve into Hellblade: Sensua’s Sacrifice. Very moving story, really s noting the puzzles and the combat. Graphics are pretty incredible too for a game that only had like... what? 20 people developing it?

baldurs_gate_2

Neo Member
I play Nioh at the moment. Hard game, but i am getting better.

But i am in search of a game, i watched at AGDQ or SGDQ in 2017 or 2018 i believe. There you could transform in to a Hawk / Eagle and definitly in to a walking Lion with a mace / club (i believe there were other transformable animals as well). You had to do that, to get through the levels. I believe it was a indie game, just can not find the video. Anyon knows?

Rayderism

Wreckfest. It's a "happy game" for me. Great fun!

Been trying to play Man of Medan on the flip side, but for some reason, I start getting really tired while playing it. Twice now, I had to just stop playing because of severe tiredness. Haven't had that issue in a game for a very long time.

Anki

Banned
Started Witcher 3 again, this time I am trying to finish all sidequests (minus the gwent missions because I still cannot figure out how to play it).

Totally addicted to They Are Billions at the moment. But man it's so frustrating. One time not paid attention 2 hours into the game and dead. As there's no save feature, that means you have to restart from scratch. Still... must try again every day.

Rule of Rose

Wow, I'd never heard of that game. The moment I saw the screenshots I thought of Haunting Ground. Wikipedia says it's been compared to that game.

Edit: reading further, it sounds like the UK release was cancelled, which is why it passed me by.

Last edited:
Wow, I'd never heard of that game. The moment I saw the screenshots I thought of Haunting Ground. Wikipedia says it's been compared to that game.

Edit: reading further, it sounds like the UK release was cancelled, which is why it passed me by.

It has reminded me of Haunting Ground in that it's a horror game with a girl and a dog. Haunting Ground is significantly better imo however. Rule of Rose has its strengths, but the whole package has been a bit disappointing if I'm honest.

How did they mess up a game where you have a dog as a buddy?!

Well, it's just incredibly clunky. There's not a great deal of combat to contend with, but it's sub-par even for the genre. And the whole experience just hasn't come together with any sort of cohesive feeling for me. Yeah, there's a narrative, but it's poorly executed. And while the music is good in its own right, it does little to establish the type of atmosphere I'm looking for in a horror game. Also constantly shifting perspectives that don't allow for continuation of movement relative to your already-engaged stick position force awkward and disorienting movements through the environments. It has some creepy scenes and characters, but everything just comes off as amateurish imo. But don't take my word for it. Play it and decide for yourself. My opinions often stink. :p

Few fantasies of mine in regards to sports and my teams are higher than the idea of witnessing Sweden win a World Cup. They've been really close 4 times. And the idea of beating the mighty Germans in the final, well, that's just too sweet. And I lived out that fantasy in PES recently. Here's some pics:

7CMvbmt.jpg

tYuKpeB.jpg

8Bw9aHu.jpg

Lo936aU.jpg

ggPvbNG.jpg

Cracklox

I've been playing Kingdom Come Deliverance for the most part for the last few weeks. I didn't know I needed a medieval 'fantasy' game without the fantasy but its been really engaging. Its a whole lot bigger and longer then I thought going in too. I'm 80 odd hours in and still feel like there's plenty left to do and resolve. Playing on a base ps4, the game really struggles to run sometimes and it no doubt doesn't look as good as it could playing on something better, but there's just so much charm to the game that I can't help but keep going. Really love alot of the quest design and how game play doesn't always equal kill all the shit, especially playing a charisma build. Refreshing stuff

I also had an urge to play something 2d metroidvania'y and had heard a tonne of good things about Hollow Knight. I gave it a few hours, but I'm stuggling to see how a lot of people consider it one of the best games ever made in that genre tbh (so far at least). I'll try to give it more time at some point but -

My slight disappointment with that led to me checking out Ori and the blind forest and holy shit, this is what i was looking for. Only started yesterday and just a couple of hours in, but it might be THE most beautiful 2d game I've ever played. And it handles great as well and the exploration seems really well done too. Its also 4 years old now, and still looks amazing. I think it's one of those games that will age really well, and still look fucking great in 20 years time. Unless I hit a wall or get badly stuck, I'll definitely be seeing it through.

Also, first post back here after 'The Incident'. Some of whats going on over at ReEEEEEE is pretty fucked up, and I can't in good conscience support it. It's like (most) everyone got brainwashed at some point and I missed the memo because I only really posted in 1 gaming thread over there (full of mostly sane people) and didn't really stray outside that, until recently. Insert I'm Woke Now meme.

After a few days lurking around here, this place seems to be getting some of its charm (and traffic?) back and I think I'll call it my internet home again, at least for a while. Be nice if gaming communities picked up again, but hey, can't have everything

Top Bottom