• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What game are you currently playing?

Hostile_18

Banned
Sekiro difficulty broke me, it was past the point of fun sadly and I've beaten all the other Souls games, Uncharteds on Crushing etc. I probably could beat it if I put enough hours into it but it wasnt fun trying on the same boss hours on end.

Just started Last of Us on Grounded. Loving it, not sure how easy/hard it will be getting all the trophies compared to Uncharted 1-4, Lost Legacy.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Sekiro difficulty broke me, it was past the point of fun sadly and I've beaten all the other Souls games, Uncharteds on Crushing etc. I probably could beat it if I put enough hours into it but it wasnt fun trying on the same boss hours on end.

Just started Last of Us on Grounded. Loving it, not sure how easy/hard it will be getting all the trophies compared to Uncharted 1-4, Lost Legacy.
I think the problem for some people who mostly played Souls games is they rely on too much on RPG elements to power themselves up and summon other players to for tougher fights. Sekiro is straight up action game instead being RPG like of FROM's pervious games, in Sekiro you can only rely on yourself getting better at the game.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
I was getting towards the end of Days Gone, got stuck between a huge rock and a few trees and uninstalled. Beyond how handcrafted and beautiful the world is despite the terrible LOD pop-in, and a few characters, the game feels like it could have used more time into the oven to fully bake. I don't mind borrowing mechanics and concepts from other games, but it never meets or exceeds those inspirations. There is a ton of content, but I wouldn't call any of it memorable, interesting or fun.

On the flip side, A Plague Tale: Innocence is a pleasant surprise. I'm five chapters in and the narrative is interesting and it is mechanically sound.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
I think the problem for some people who mostly played Souls games is they rely on too much RPG elements to power themselves up and summon other players to for tougher fights. Sekiro is straight up action game instead bing RPG like of FROM's pervious games, in Sekiro you can only rely on yourself getting better at the game.
It's unfortunate that the fanbase is divided on these kinds of issues. Some really do prefer the heavy RPG min-maxing as well as the pvp elements, while others prefer skill-based combat and naked runs. But on the plus side, it shows that the games are pretty good and the fans are just really passionate about the aspects they like from the series. Personally, Souls is dead to me, Bloodborne is life, and I can already tell I'm going to love Sekiro's non-stat-driven combat. Yet I realize that my most-hated title in the series (DS2) is the favorite of a lot of other Souls fans for completely different reasons. I can live with that.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
It's unfortunate that the fanbase is divided on these kinds of issues. Some really do prefer the heavy RPG min-maxing as well as the pvp elements, while others prefer skill-based combat and naked runs. But on the plus side, it shows that the games are pretty good and the fans are just really passionate about the aspects they like from the series. Personally, Souls is dead to me, Bloodborne is life, and I can already tell I'm going to love Sekiro's non-stat-driven combat. Yet I realize that my most-hated title in the series (DS2) is the favorite of a lot of other Souls fans for completely different reasons. I can live with that.
I enjoyed Demon's Souls and original Dark Souls but I fell in love with FROM games with Bloodborne, I enjoyed more faster and risker combat system in that game and also the fact I played all their games offline so I beat all the bosses alone. I LOOOOOVE Sekiro combat system so fighting enemies and bosses in that game alone was absolute joy for me.

Playing Baldur’s Gate on Nintendo Switch. The controls took awhile to get my head around, but once I did, they worked surprisingly well. Beamdog did a really good job with the console controls.

I played BG1 in the last couple of years, but I decided to replay it so I can import my characters to BGII.

do you recommend it for someone that never played them?

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
It’s a complicated one. I’d say yes, but it depends on age, gaming experience and mindset in most cases.

How experienced with RPGs are you? Baldur’s Gate can be very unforgiving if you rush in and don’t strategise. You can get annihilated in your very first battle against low level enemies if you don’t think things through. In saying that, I didn’t complete my first true RPG until the last couple of years, so it’s definitely not insurmountable. You just have to be thorough, explore the world, level up and understand the systems.

Speaking of the systems, they can be very daunting and confusing at first glance, but once you get your head around it, it’s not so bad. Like I said, I was an RPG noob until recently and I managed it.

If you like the setting and the idea of it, I say give it a go, but don’t expect the game to hold your hand. You’ll have to put in some work. Expect to have Google handy throughout your playthrough to understand items and their strategical value or to figure out why that NPC just up and left your party for example.

I don’t want to scare you off because the games are not impossible (I just started BGII and I’m kicking arse, now that I understand how the systems work), just expect to have to put in a little more effort than a modern RPG.

The games are wonderful imo. BG1 made me want to explore every corner, every nook and cranny of the world. They don’t really make games like this anymore, so I think they should be experienced. But, they will need an investment of your time and a willingness to experiment in order to find what works.

Also, they are very replayable games. Worth the money imo. Basically, daunting, not impossible and very rewarding.

Sorry, if that wasn’t so helpful. Feel free to ask me any other questions you might have.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
It’s a complicated one. I’d say yes, but it depends on age, gaming experience and mindset in most cases.

How experienced with RPGs are you? Baldur’s Gate can be very unforgiving if you rush in and don’t strategise. You can get annihilated in your very first battle against low level enemies if you don’t think things through. In saying that, I didn’t complete my first true RPG until the last couple of years, so it’s definitely not insurmountable. You just have to be thorough, explore the world, level up and understand the systems.

Speaking of the systems, they can be very daunting and confusing at first glance, but once you get your head around it, it’s not so bad. Like I said, I was an RPG noob until recently and I managed it.

If you like the setting and the idea of it, I say give it a go, but don’t expect the game to hold your hand. You’ll have to put in some work. Expect to have Google handy throughout your playthrough to understand items and their strategical value or to figure out why that NPC just up and left your party for example.

I don’t want to scare you off because the games are not impossible (I just started BGII and I’m kicking arse, now that I understand how the systems work), just expect to have to put in a little more effort than a modern RPG.

The games are wonderful imo. BG1 made me want to explore every corner, every nook and cranny of the world. They don’t really make games like this anymore, so I think they should be experienced. But, they will need an investment of your time and a willingness to experiment in order to find what works.

Also, they are very replayable games. Worth the money imo. Basically, daunting, not impossible and very rewarding.

Sorry, if that wasn’t so helpful. Feel free to ask me any other questions you might have.
I grew up playing these two games, over and over. It's nice to see someone approach it with modern eyes and appreciate their qualities.

SpiceRacz

Wtf? Ninja Gaiden is a cake walk compared to Sekiro. I feel like you guys are trolling me cause I'm new. First Death Stranding is better than Star wars Fallen Order, and now Ninja Gaiden is harder than Sekiro? Lol look at my avatar pic. Actual cake walk.

Agreed. I've played and beaten each Souls game and Bloodborne. Sekiro was tough to the point that I iust walked away from it. At a certain point it's not even enjoyable. Which sucks, because the world is super interesting.

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
I grew up playing these two games, over and over. It's nice to see someone approach it with modern eyes and appreciate their qualities.
The funny thing is, I have owned BG1 since it came out (1998?), but never got around to playing through it properly until a year ago because I didn’t understand RPGs at the time and found the idea of them daunting. I wish I had put in the effort back then, but I’ve at least spent the past couple of years catching up on the classics.

The internet has helped immensely to approach these sort of games.

Fake

Death Stranding and right now Doom 3. Already beat DS and time for Platinum. Still waiting for KH3 DLC.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
Just finished Baldur’s Gate: Enhanced Edition and now on to Baldur’s Gate II for the first time. Can’t wait.

Super jealous of you. I wish I could erase Baldur's Gate II from my mind and experience it anew. It's easily one of my favorite games ever.

Sekiro is really something else.

Im using Cheat Engine to finish Dark Souls III.

And I rock at Sekiro haha

Dont take it as 'another Souls game'.

Hostile_18

Banned
Sekiro is really something else.

Im using Cheat Engine to finish Dark Souls III.

And I rock at Sekiro haha

Dont take it as 'another Souls game'.

Yeah were all better at different things. It's just a shame because I've enjoyed all other From games this gen but this is too difficult to enjoy for me and theres no summons, leveling up or difficulty levels to make to more accessible.

ESPOMAN

I am replaying Deadly Premonition to get all the side quests and what not. After that I might either try to play through all the MGS, or RE games. I already played RE 1 and a bit of 2 but I put it down for a bit and got lost. I am leaning toward RE...I also like replaying the DMC games they are fun.

Hostile_18

Banned
I am replaying Deadly Premonition to get all the side quests and what not. After that I might either try to play through all the MGS, or RE games. I already played RE 1 and a bit of 2 but I put it down for a bit and got lost. I am leaning toward RE...I also like replaying the DMC games they are fun.

I got all the achievements on the 360... the difficulties didnt stack either! Can't wait for the sequel.

Finished Bloodstained and have now started Shadow Tactics: Blades of the Shogun. It's my first foray into this genre. On the third level now and it's not easy. Fun though, and can be played at a nice leisurely pace.

stranno

Finished the PC version of Terminator Salvatio and doing a 360/PS3 run.

Not a great game, unfortunately. It seems that most of the GRIN team was developing the absolutely fantastic Bionic Commando (2009) the same year, they probably assigned very few resources to the Salvation project.

SpiceRacz

Yooka Laylee and The Impossible Lair. The game is well made, but incredibly bland. The music, levels, characters, etc are just boring. I'll probably put it down so I can finally start Nier Automata.

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
Super jealous of you. I wish I could erase Baldur's Gate II from my mind and experience it anew. It's easily one of my favorite games ever.
Haha. I’m a couple hours in and already it is evident that it’s a significant step up in scope from the previous game. So many more dialogue lines and options. This one is going to take a while and I don’t mind :)

TheSweeper

Finished Outer Worlds yesterday. Yet another game that I might not even have tried if not for Gamepass. I quite liked it. It's miles better than Fallout 4 even though it clearely could've used some more polish.

Now it is time to start Jedi Fallen Order.

Thank you very much for the very helpful reply.

I'm gonna try it, I go a long way with RPGs since Fallout 1 and I've played a lot of unforgiving ones. Actually if it's too forgiving it's a no from me.

Gonna give it a go

FINALLY made it to Elysium in the Odyssey dlc, jesus it took forever. The amount of crap to do is pretty insane, I imagine a 100% run for the entire game would take well over 100 hours. I'm over 40 and I've just been doing main story stuff, with the occasional xp grinding session.
Elysium looks amazing, can't wait to see the other areas.

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
Thank you very much for the very helpful reply.

I'm gonna try it, I go a long way with RPGs since Fallout 1 and I've played a lot of unforgiving ones. Actually if it's too forgiving it's a no from me.

Gonna give it a go
Awesome, I hope you like it!

Which platform are you playing it on?

Belmonte

I was tryinh the original fallout for size aftter I finished fo4. I got the water chip for the vault and now I am doing odds and ends before I look for the source of the supermutants. However, I am seemingly stuck now in the boneyard after accepting a quest to help the blades eliminate the regulators (who are apparently the ones oppressing the town and not the blades as previously thought). So they tell me to go to the gun runners for help and I do. In between the blades and the gun runners are a few deathclaws and I manage to sneak through. I ask for their help and they agree to fight the regulators/give arms to the blades. Only problem is that they demand I kill the deathclaws and whenever I step back outside I am directly in front of one and cannot gain any distance. The deathclaw kills me and my companion Ian within a few turns. I bought a plasma rifle but It doesn't help much. I'm on the verge of quitting because it seems to be an impossible problem to solve.

I also just started Phantom Hourglass. I always love me some Zelda! Right now I am about to enter the third dungeon that holds the bow and arrow.

Perhaps try save scumming this encounter. It would be a pity to abandon this gem only because of difficulty!

One thing that makes these games extra complicated is the D&D background. It is perfect for D&D players but if you don't know the rules it can feel very arbitrary. Like, why a cleric can't use a sword or a mage can't use armor. You can use whatever item you want in modern games, like Dark Souls, but if you don't have enough stats, it won't be as efficient. Thac0 and AC are not as intuitive as it could be also.

But if you understand that equipment and magic are limited by class (see armor/weapon descriptions) and the less Armor Class you have the better, you are set to go! Save often and if you lose a companion, load your save! Use more than one save slot in case of encountering bug.

bender

What time is it?
Finished A Plague Tale. I think it fails to stick the landing.
Starting with the Hugo chapter and onward, the quality suffers and it feels like the team ran out of ideas.
It was a fun ride none the less.

Kadayi

Banned
Started to dig into my gaming backlog a bit and have been chipping away at This is The Police

Which is a sort of Choice and Consequences narrative adventure coupled with a Real-time Management System where you as the outgoing Police Chief of Freeburg City try and keep your precinct in order whilst funding your retirement and trying to keep everyone happy in the process

In between sporadic cutscenes, you're basically having to manage police shifts and assigning officers to incidents, whilst also putting detectives on more serious investigations.

It's a pretty compelling game, and very stylish to boot.

I would say that it's worth playing with the tutorial on initially until you learn the principles but then trashing that save and restarting because much akin to XCOM, the Tutorial locks you into some really shitty decisions to do with hiring and firing that seem pretty nonsensical (like firing one of your best officers).

There is a certain amount of RND to the game, but for the most part, smart moves generally pay off. I think what I would say is don't be afraid to cut any chaff and get better people in. Albeit officers improve with every successful incident, there's no point wasting time on sub level 100 rank officers. Also, you can restart a day if it's going particularly badly. I tend to try and send experienced cops with rookies as much as possible.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I am playing ShenMue III and I’m trying to make as much money as I possibly can. I’ve never felt so connected between reality and a virtual one. Progression has been pretty good. Only hang up at the moment is not having a lot of cash and spending a lot of time chopping. After I finished The Last Order, the only new game I wanted to complete was ShenMue III from KS.

I bought Romancing Saga 3 on iOS. I haven’t started it yet, but I’m looking forward to it. I thought I had enough mobile JRPGs, but Square-Enix has their way of pulling me back in.

I bought my wife the Season Pass to Assassin’s Creed Odyssey since she spent over 110+ hours on the game. I just complete the main campaign, but she does everything. After playing the last 2 installments, she doesn’t like how Black Flag controls or any of the older games. Which is crazy seeing how far this series has come. My memories and times of completing AC games were right after I played III and Revelations. I’m happy as hell to buy the games, but I’m mainly buying it for my wife.

Roberts

Played three Metroid/Dark Souls inspired games in a row: Fallen Order, Remnant and Control. No clear winners here, but as a pure gaming experience I probably enjoyed FO the most. Control has the best presentation and the gameplay is fun too (probably a bit better than Quantum Break), but I really, really enjoyed Remnant too and even as an underdog, some of the things it does better than both other games.

Top Bottom