• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What game are you currently playing?

Daniel Thomas MacInnes

GAF's Resident Saturn Omnibus
Still playing through my Nintendo Wii backlog, although I really want to plug in the Sega Genesis and play some NHL 94. Here's a quick rundown:

NHL Slapshot: Fantastic fun, really does play like the classic Genesis NHL games with a touch of Nintendo 64 Wayne Gretzky's 3D Hockey. It's all fast action, brutal violence and endless one-timer goals. I really wish EA would dust this title off and release an updated version for Nintendo Switch, which is still sorely lacking in sports games. Just give us all the features from NHL 94 (organ music, please) and update the rosters.

Da Blob: I loved this game since I bought it back in 2009. I still enjoy its freewheeling nature and originality that reminds me of Sega Dreamcast. There are also many things that frustrate the hell out of me, such as the wonky camera, the floaty jumps and sometimes just getting lost and not knowing where to go. It drives me angry but in that classic videogame sort of way. I'd definitely get the Switch release.

De Blob 2: A much more polished, refined and structured sequel, looks terrific, maps "jump" to the A button, which is a very welcome improvement, and offers many 2D platforming segments. The structure is a little more linear but at least you aren't sent on a dozen fetch quests all at once. Saving still sucks and I can't understand why Blue Tongue never figured that one out.

FIFA 11: It looks fine, in that Two-Gamecubes-Taped-Together sort of way. Controls are good if a bit sluggish, the computer players just run circles around me. I have no idea why your shots on goal can be powered up so they just fly into the stands. It's FIFA in all its forced "simulation" banality, and makes me pine for Worldwide Soccer 97/98 on Sega Saturn instead.

PES 2013: This seems like a very solid soccer sim. Pity the controls feel more complicated than high school calculus. I might try again but I just came away deeply frustrated. I should probably try with the classic controller.

Madden NFL 2009 All-Play: Same as FIFA, my beefs are mostly with the franchise itself. It's pretty good but the controls are a bit of a pain. Might get better with practice. But I'd rather play NFL 2K1/2K2 on Sega Dreamcast in a heartbeat. And so would you.

Tatsunoko Vs Capcom: Fantastic 2D fighter from Capcom and Eighting, the child of Toaplan that gave us Battle Garegga and Soukyugurentai. The glossy cel-shaded polygon look is glorious, the Tatsunoko players are superb (we'll never see their likes again), gameplay is fantastic. The simplified Wiimote controls are a godsend for those of us who don't have joysticks and can't pull off endless joystick combos.

NHL 2K10: For some reason, 2K hockey just never found its groove like NFL and NBA. It's okay but less polished, fluid and responsive than NHL SLapshot. Again, things may improve with practice, but this is the same debate we were having during the Genesis days. If I already have NHLPA 93 & NHL 94, why should I care about ESPN or Brett Hull 95?

Shaun White Snowboarding: World Stage: Very polished and very different sequel from Road Trip, going from a Tony Hawk collect-a-thon to a professional circuit setting. The 60 fps visuals are sure nice, controls are still easy. I don't think anybody knows this videogame exists. Whatever. Their loss. Go to the retro game store and pick this up for three bucks.

Furu Furu Park: Taito minigame collection based on their classic arcade catalog. It has a polished Dreamcast style and it's fun to play around with a little. Not sure if the replay value holds, but these party games only work in certain settings. It's better than its reputation but nothing really special. I'd rather be playing all those Taito arcade games instead.

Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess: The longer I play, the more I'm reminded of all the little frustrations that irritate me about Aonuma Zelda: the linear structure, the obsession with puzzles over adventure, the endless fetch quests, the annoying characters, the need to tell insipid "stories" or recreate tired movie cliches. Money is useless because there's nothing to buy. The weapons have all been seen before. On the bright side, the wolf is pretty fun and I enjoy the twilight segments. I'm only 1/4 through so take with a grain of salt.

Codes 208

Destiny 2
My friends (and clan) finally convinced me to give the shadowkeep content a try and now ive been pretty much playing non-stop for the last week.

Jacknapes

Finishing up on the Assassin's Creed Ezio Trilogy with a play of Revelations. I'm nearing the end of the game, which is a shame as the Ezio games are some of the better Creed titles. Got probably another hour or two left i think.

The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch. Really glad I finally got this game. It is still as charming as it originally was, maybe even more so due to the art direction. Currently on my way to the second dungeon, with good old BowWow at my side.

Roberts

The Vanishing of Ethan Carter - Pretty cool puzzle game with some of the prettiest graphics this gen. Didn't finish it yet because I can't figure out a few puzzles, but it's a usable tool to show that there is a visible difference between 1080p, 1440p and 4k on a 4KTV - playing on Xbox One X and it gives you an option to change resolution instantly.

Wolfenstein: Youngblood - This was panned by everybody, right? Not a great game mostly because you get to replay the same zones over and over (it's more like a metroidvania than a linear FPS shooter) if you want to complete all missions, but I'm having loads of fun. Less tonal shifts than W2 - No existential crises and semi-serious drama beats (which I liked). Instead the game is just plain silly with a pair of goofy sociopaths as protagonists. Loads to do for Achievement junkies.

Children of Morta - Seriously, one of the best games I had the pleasure of playing recently. Not a huge fan of rogue-like games, but this has such a charming story and characters that you cant help but fall in love with them - makes you want to complete the game. Loads of RPG upgrades and customization.

Hostile_18

Banned
Finished the Resident Evil 7 season pass at last. It was actually alot more fun than I thought it would be. The new modes were brilliant and very addictive... with the exception of Ethan must die.

Giving Red Dead 2 a chance to win me over again now as I couldn't get into it much last year. Its amazing how different the opening levels are on a calibrated screen compared to a tv at default settings, what with all the snow. Rockstar definitely had a specific look in mind.

Ok ignore that comment on RDR2 I've gone to the advanced HDR settings unlocked peak brightness and the picture feels alot more in line with what it should be calibrated. Not sure what going on with HDR in it, as they kind of recommended cinematic mode but it just felt "off", too dim and the colour taken out.

Javthusiast

Banned
Got AssCreed Odyssey Gold Edition on sale yesterday. Played less than an hour, but I am having fun so far. Combat still isn‘t as tight as I would like it to be, feels kinda wonky and loose, but it works alright for what it is.

After playing games like rdr2 again recently or Division 2, I must say moving relatively quick though the game with the characters pretty fast running speed and being able to climb everything easily is a nice change of pace.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
After wrapping up Sam's Story expansion for Metro Exodus a week ago, I played through all three episodes and classified assignments for The Division 2 over the weekend so im good to go when Warlords of New York releases on March 3rd. Starting tomorrow, I will play Darksiders Genesis and next week will most likely be Dishonored 2.

drganon

Still playing xenoblade chronicles 2. I still like it but at the rate I'm going it's going to take me forever to beat it. I'm only on ch 5 now.

Also started yakuza 3 from the yakuza remastered collection. Since I started with zero, this is my first time playing the ps3 era games. So far it feels very similar but you can tell how things have been improved with each iteration.

Lastly, I decided to give trails of cold steel 3 another shot. I got past this boss that was giving me trouble and am starting to get more of an understanding of the combat system.

stranno

Playing all Gameloft games for DSi. I have received the Merki's capture card recently.

Some of them are pretty cool, the best versions of the games: Asphalt 4 or Soul of Darkness. Other are terrible ports, like Gangstar 2 or Hero of Sparta (the Minis version for PSP is way better).

Mista

Banned
I just finished Indivisible and I don’t know what the hell to play now. This game surprised me of how surprisingly fucking gooooooood it is.

Mr Hyde

Bought Starlink Battle for Atlas dirt cheap on Eshop together with the Star Fox DLC missions with Peppy, Falco and Slippy. It's no wonder this game flopped, the original pricing is ludicrously expensive with loads of different add-ons. I bought the deluxe edition which comes with a significant portion of the pilots and weapons at 75% off, but I would never pay full price for this. It's straight up robbery.

It's really fun so far. Beautiful graphics, nice and vibrant colors, and it plays very well both on the planets and in space. The Star Fox addition is great, you can play as Fox McCloud from start to finish, with cut scenes, story dialogue, npc interaction and unique missions involving Star Wolf takedown, making this a Star Fox game in all but name.

TitanNut88

I started Kingdom Hearts (Final Mix version) for the first time ever for me. I'm liking it but I don't understand it. No map, no quest book. I'm only 4h in though. I will finish it for sure, but I was expecting something more similar to FFX as they were released within months. Let's see how it evolves...

WolfusFh

I beat hollow knight recently, and after that, I really wanted more. I played dead cells, then I stopped to play dbz kakarot. Then I returned for salt and sanctuary.

SS didn't catch me that much. Not much of a fan of souls formula. And no, HK is not a "souls like" .So now I am playing Megaman ZX.

Erimus

Neo Member
Started both Assassin’s Creed: Origins and A Plague’s Tale today with my day off. Loving both.

Put a couple hours into Origins, reaching level 5 and doing a handful of side quests whilst coming to grips with the game. I love an RPG and like the new direction AC has taken. Will sink some hours into this. Played through Chapter 1 of APT. I know I’ll enjoy this game too, instantly hooked.

Daniel Thomas MacInnes

GAF's Resident Saturn Omnibus
A few more Nintendo Wii games to play through:

Zack & Wiki: Everybody has been praising Capcom's action-puzzler as the best thing since sliced bread and one of Wii's greatest hits. Everybody is right. Nothing else needs to be said. Get it if you don't have it, play it, love it.

Monster 4X4 World Circuit: This 2006 Ubisoft launch title is one of my favorite surprises. You race a wide variety of monster trucks across small closed circuits while collecting power-ups and smash flaming oil cans into rival cars. Imagine RC Pro-Am on Sega Dreamcast and you've got the idea. I found the motion controls to be excellent, the course designs suitably varied and curvy, the ramps and stuns enjoyable. My only beef is that the game is very easy, but multiplayer seems to be the real attraction.

GT Pro Series: Another 2006 Ubisoft launch title, this time created by Japanese studio MTO, who also created the GT Advance series on Gameboy Advance. The cel-shaded graphics are clean and stylish and looks just like Sega Dreamcast. For me, that's a great thing. The motion controls are also excellent, but there's a slight learning curve. Gameplay is a fusion of arcade and sim, closest to Sega GT and Tokyo Extreme Racer. Once again, the computer cars are a cakewalk and the game is far too easy, but 4P mulitplayer delivers the goods. This game was savaged by reviewers who clearly had rocks in their heads.

Dirt 2: I only played a little with the Wiimote controls, which proved to be far too loose. The cars also handle like they weigh five pounds and are made out of helium, bouncing and floating and flipping around at the slightest touch. It's annoying as hell. I'll have to try with the Classic Controller and see if that improves things. Graphics are detailed but the frame rate is all over the place.

Need For Speed Carbon: Steering sucks, I kept bouncing around like a pinball just like Dirt 2. Graphics are all dark with glossy lighting that was in vogue during the Gen 6/7 eras. Again, I need more time to play around, but I'm not a big fan of this series and this title probably played better on the other consoles.

I'm about 30+ hours into AC: Origins now. I'm really kinda missing the big dungeon, pseudo prince of persia style platform areas from previous entries in the series.

Jacknapes

Finished Assassin's Creed Revelations on Wednesday, had planned to take a break and play something else. That didn't happen, went straight onto Assassin's Creed III. Had started it a while back, so my save was on Sequence 6 (after the Haytham memories).

Traianvs

I'm halfway through The Sinking City.
The lovecraftian atmosphere is perfect and the investigations are quite entertaining. Unfortunately the combat is incredibly shallow so I turned down the difficuly of the encounters to easy and I'm enjoying it like a sherlock Holmes game but set in the cthulhu mythos
Low budget but quite good
6.5 on 10

Belmonte

I broke my record regarding continuing old saves. I guess it has been 6 years since I played Xenoblade. I saw a thread about Xenoblade X two months ago, picked my interest but I thought it was a better idea to finish the original first.

I stopped playing at Alcamoth. It broke my interest at the time. As a completionist who doesn't like to use a guide it was painful, not only finishing the quests but finding the quest givers. Gigantic city, lots of people and to make it worse, a lot worse btw, people only shows at specific hours and the quests are time sensitive. Dudes...one of the biggest NOPE of my gaming career.

But I knew the game has a lot of good, I played more than 40 hours after all, so I decided to give it a chance and if I need to ignore content, so be it. I'm having a great time! Most people here knows Xenoblade, so I don't even need to say how great is its exploration. But I will. It is great! So good that sometimes it feels like a 3D platformer, collecting itens, running, jumping and swimming. Gorgeous maps and cool ecology/monsters.

XC2.0.jpg

There is a caveat: to justify the exploration, to have its rewards, I need to hunt for quests. Fortunately the rest of the game isn't as enraging as Alcamoth. Most quests are not time sensitive and it is much easier to spot the quest giver.

I know Alcamoth will be destroyed. It will be satisfying as hell! Can't wait to see it BURN!

I'm having a blast now that I decided to embrace the game as it is. Hard to find a monster/location/quest/item? I open Google Chrome. It seems to me the game is made to be played like that. I'm at Agniratha already. Liked Mechonis Field a lot!

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Started Ace Attorney: Justice For All and finished up cindered shadows DLC and gonna get started with Fire Emblem Three Houses Blue Lions Route.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Still playing Tokyo Mirage. This game has one of the best combat systems in JRPG genre, love it to death and can't get enough of it even after 30+ hours (I only started chapter 3 today).

Lanrutcon

Tried Kingdom Under Fire 2 while it's free.

It's absolute bargain bin trash. It plays like some kind of free to play Korean MMO from a decade ago.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Sekiro still. I am trying to get all of the shinobi tools (not the upgrades, just the base tools) before fighting Genichiro on the top of Ashina castle and moving the game into the next phase. After just a few hours I knew I was going to replay the game, so I am trying to go for the "Return" ending since it is supposedly the most complicated one to get. Then I can work my way through the other endings.

Vampire Bloodlines: M. Its my first playthrough, going as a Malkavian with the Unofficial Patch 10.5.
Enjoying what Ive played so far, but not quite sure how im suppose to/can approach the gameplay in terms of freedom of choice. Is there a thread I can ask questions in?

About to start the annual playthrough of RTCW using the Venom mod.
Edit: The 2009 Wolf was actually really good. Might have to boot that up.

Escape from Tarkov. Game of a generation. Get what Dayz and PubG didnt get right.

Condemned CO with mods
- HD textures
- EAX for Windows 8.1/10

Swat 3 with mods.
- Last Resort
- misc 1 and 2

Probably bounce between the 4 till something else gets added to the list. I was playing Death Stranding, but got side tracked with work and when i returned to it, there were player structures EVERYWHERE and I was a little lost. At this point I think Im just going to wait for the PC version. Amazing game so far though.

PM me if you need help setting up any of the mods I listed.

Last edited:

Woodchipper

Just started replaying Uncharted 4. Haven’t played it in like two or three years, and it still looks and plays amazing, although I must admit that the climbing and swinging does get a bit old after a while.

Orher than that it’s Dirt Rally 2.0 on and off, in wait for the McRae pack.

Last edited:
Fire Emblem 3 houses, Kunai on switch. Wife and I are running through river city girls on switch

Just finished ninja gaiden 1-3 on one x this week.

Gonna wrap up Nino Kuni wraith of the white witch on my ps4 pro this week then dive into the megaman zero collection.

Bunch of fighting games on pc

Last edited:
I just finished playing Twilight Princess for... the 4th time I think?
Almost 15 years later, I still discover new things. Early in that playthrough, I went back to the ranch in the starting village, only to find the postman there, trying to feed the goats some letters because he couldn't read the address! The postman, who would pursue you through Hyrule Field, infested with monsters if he has mail for you,, and who recognizes you in wolf form, was trying to skip on the job and erase the evidence because he didn't know who that letter was addressed to.
Damn, I love this game.

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
I just started Final Fantasy X Remaster.

I’ve always avoided playing it because I didn’t like the design and aesthetic the FF series took with this one and subsequent releases. But, I am working my way through the series, so it’s time.

I’m about 2-3 hours in. This is weird as hell.

Mr Hyde

Star Fox is so good. It's a big open world planetary shooter explorer with loads of customization, both with its ships and weapons.

Each planet has its distinct look and fauna, and although much of the side stuff is all the same on all planets, It doesn't matter cuz it's so fun to play. The ship controls like a dream and it feels so good to boost off with the Arwing into the beautiful sunset.

It also has dog fights in space and travel to and from planets is seamless with no loading screens. It's well optimized with basically no frame drops and some vistas are quite the lookers. The Crimson Moon update also adds grand prix races for that nice F-zero feel. Gotta give a shout out to the music too, very good soundtrack overall.

This is easily the best Star Fox game since Lylat Wars. Ubi does what Nintendon't.

Last edited:

down 2 orth

Playing Detroit: Become Human. I'm REALLY surprised at how much of a big step up the game is from previous Quantic Dream games. Graphically, it's fantastic. The story, characters, setting, and direction are great too. I guess what surprises me the most is that David Cage successfully made the transition from being laughably poor at his job to legitimately good.

UnravelKatharsis

Gold Member
Deracine. Grabbed it launch day and sat on it. Wanted to support from software and try something different in vr. Finally removed the shrink wrap to start it a few days ago...

I like it but i dont think I can strongly recommend it to anyone who isnt a big fan of the point and click adventure genre which it borrows heavily from.

I'm only halfway through and it's very slow with basic high school level writing so far. I'll be finishing it and if the story ends strong I'll still consider it worth the play but I can't recommend it in good faith.

Rodolink

just finished Pikmin 3. very fun although Pikmin 2 is still the best. I rarely used the 3 guys at the same time, hard enough is divide your mindset in two.

and guess what, I stopped Chrono Trigger again, it just doesn't click for me. but now I'll focus only on it. gonna end this for real 😤.

Started to play Tomb Raider '13 after watching the 2018 movie this weekend. Yepp, the special effects in the game are more convincing than in the flick (best example the death defying jumps!). The game is a bit torture porny and controls a bit to much uncharty (which I'm not a fan of), but is entertaining nonetheless. 5 hours in, I think I will finish at least one game this year. :)

Belmonte

I finished Mother. Loved it. It's going in my top 20 of all time (When Queen Mary faded away :messenger_loudly_crying:)

I just started Earthbound (SNES). I don't know why, but I'm just not feeling it as much as Mother. It has quality of life improvements, but it just doesn't have the eerie feel of the first one.

I guess I'll have to progress more to see if it improves.

I began playing Earthbound after finishing Mother and this is exactly my thoughts. Earthbound seems great but despite having a similar story, its atmosphere is not the same as the original game. I can't even describe exactly what changed, but something about the graphics and art style, the desaturated colors they used in Mother made a great impact with me. That green in the grass is very eerie, that pink in Magicant is ambiguous as hell. Magicant is the definition of eerie. Most strange place I ever saw in a game...It is a mixture of comfy, crazy, good and evil.

This is why I like to give the franchise a rest when finishing a game. I don't want to spoil Earthbound with my expectations coming from Mother, which seems great in its own way, so I stopped playing.

And hey, please , don't post any spoiler from Earthbound!

Mr Hyde

Starlink is probably the most underrated game I've played since Nier. It's so much fun I can't stop playing. The Star Fox content is so well implemented into the base game one can consider Starlink a Nintendo Switch exclusive.

Chasing down Star Wolf and his minions is a blast and seeing the boys help out the Starlink crew with the battle for Atlas gives me a smile every time. The planets look beautiful with varied environments and fauna, and you build alliances, discover ancient artifacts, taking down bosses and evil space thugs.

The outer space battles with the Outlaws and Dreadnoughts are heart pounding and exhilarating in true Star Wars fashion. The particle effects when a ship blows up is jaw dropping and overall Ubi has designed a very good looking game with a universe that feels truly vast.

The customizing is great, you can mod your ship, fuse mods, upgrade your characters and much more. I only play with the Star Fox crew because the game emulates a perfect Star Fox feel so it's much more fun just pretending it's a main line game.

Last edited:
Top Bottom