• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What game are you currently playing?

TwoHearted

Neo Member
Currently playing Xenoblade Chronicles 2 (mostly in handheld mode) just for 30 minutes at a time before bed. So far, it’s a really nice journey, with some humor, mostly likable characters and interesting battles and monster design. It’s not taking my breath away but it’s surprisingly fun and it keeps me coming back.

Ni No Kuni (switch handheld mode)
Juggling between this and Xenoblade. I do enjoy Xenoblade more for its gameplay. But I’m a sucker for studio ghibli and any anime that resembles their style. The characters are pretty great and put a smile on your face quite regularity. The gameplay is decently challenging, at least for me. And I never get sick of feeding my familiars ice cream 😂

dragonball Z Kakarot - Xbox One X
I couldn’t put the controller after my first time playing, I played for nearly 6 hours. The battle system is really fun, fast and engaging, it does seem to get a little bit repetitive but I haven’t unlocked too many moves yet. The animation blows me away, the world is massive and makes you feel like you’re in the TV show. The main story is a 10/10 for sure, but the side quests are extremely repetitive and useless for the most part so far.
I would recommend this game to any dragonball fan.

Rodolink

continuing Chrono Trigger, just got the
broken muramasa
very amazed by the graphics, I don't remember them being this good.
also got into the mood for some Mother, and started Earthbound Zero on a RG300. 👌

drganon

Just beat yakuza 3 and 4. The final boss battle(s) in 4, specifically the last battle was pure bullshit, but I got through it. All I have left is 5 and I'll have beaten every main yakuza game.

Still playing through xenoblade chronicles 2 and trails of cold steel 3 as well.

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
Just finished Luigi’s Mansion 3. Such a great game!

It never fails to deliver ALWAYS! Now waiting for Luigi’s Mansion 4
I just played through the first Luigi’s Mansion for the first time. Quite good. I’m pondering playing 3 now.

xrnzaaas

I started playing Two Point Hospital on the PS4, it's a lot of fun and I like the humour. The only thing that bothers me is I have to micromanage too much, sometimes the doctor is just chilling when there's a line to his office or the janitor doesn't bother to water the plants. I dunno, maybe it's because they're not skilled in the early levels yet, I've only completed two hospitals so far.

I'm currently trophy hunting in Uncharted The Lost Legacy. While playing Bioshock in my spare time. Still got Horizon Zero Dawn, The Evil Within 2 and GoW to play
Lost Legacy is an easy platinum. :) There aren't any multiplayer or speedrun trophies.

Last edited:

stranno

Playing Earth Seeker, a Japanese Wii exclusive recently translated into English. It's basically a Monster Hunter clone with a not - really - fun Pikmin twist, since you command some goblin - like creatures and protect them while carrying the items.

The battle system is really slow since you have to enter commands each time you attack, and goblins must be whistled around in order to protect them.

I think I will drop it after a few hours, it's not that fun.

bumpkin

Working my way through Darksiders II: Deathinitive Edition on the Switch. I had a good time with the first game (the Switch port) so it was a no-brainer.

I really hope/wish Darksiders 3 makes its way to Switch at some point. I know it’s regularly cheap on XB1/PS4, but can’t beat the portability.

Aside from that, I snagged Q-YO Blaster when it was on sale for dirt cheap on the eShop. Played a few levels of that last night. It’s competent, but doesn’t control as tightly as its contemporaries/inspiration. The art direction is all over the place too, though I guess being a nod to Parodius, that’s to be expected. Some of the enemies give Cuphead vibes.

Last edited:

IKSTUGA

Yakuza 0 and Civ 6 on the PS4. Yakuza is super interesting, never played the series before, but I love the setting and story telling. Civ 6 is still like crack. I was only supposed to try it out for a couple of minutes yesterday, but ended up playing for like 4 hours.

I also started Dragon Quest XI on the switch, because I'm travelling this weekend. Seems like the perfect game to play on the go.

TacosNSalsa

I started up playing the Division 2 ..funny enough I'm quite enjoying it as a looter game . So far the loot kinda sucks and is boring and I'm really hoping it gets better but the shooting feels good and runs pretty well on my rig.

Castlevania HoD. Really good so far, although the music disappoints relative to SOTN, but that's understandable.
6HQu9kD.png

Last edited:
NeverDead

I'm genuinely surprised by how underappreciated and overlooked this is.

Its like someone mixed Devil may cry, Dark souls/hack-n-slash elements, a traditional, old school non-cover shooter, and PAIN all together into one game. It appears deceptively straight forward, but it has a lot of intrincacies that aren't directly explained to you and easily missed. Its also got a relatively steep learning curve and high skill ceiling. If you're approaching this like a typical TPS, you're doing it wrong. This game requires you to rethink and relearn all of that from scratch. It has a specific gameflow you have to adapt to. The gameplay doesn't seem very intuitive at first especially, since part of it relies on you getting a hang of the game's physics. That might seem quite challenging and frustrating at first, for some, because it might come off as unpredictable and unfair. I imagine that's probably played a major reason in why it was so massively panned upon release. Some didn't even finish the campaign before settling on a score.

There's such a cool amount of variety on how to strategically approach battles:

-If your arms are dismembered you can continue firing even if you're apart (holding down R1 and L1)
-you can even do the above while you're trying to roll yourself back into one piece.
-throw your arms or use your limbs as grenades (an ability you acquire later on)
-throw your arm and watch it flail around spraying in every direction (pretty useful in a packed room or tight corridors), while shooting with the other
-throw an arm and play fetch with dog-like enemies or/and remote detonate it (an ability you acquire later on)
-exploit your environment and use debris (statues, walls, pillars, ceilings, etc. are your friends) to damage your enemies in various ways. Goes both ways though since enemies can use the same environment against you.
-act as a conduit for fire or electricity and use it to stun your enemies or set them on fire. There's even an ability that allows you to shoot electric and fire bullets if you're electricuted or in flames.
-mulltiple abilities to apply/customize to your own play style/build/loadout on the fly. As you progress, more abilities become available to you that can be purchased with XP earned throughout the game. There's even an ability in the vain of Max Payne's slow-mo which warns you of incoming attacks.
-stun enemies with the shotgun to gain a temporary opening
-taking off your own head and throwing it to a further distance to position yourself better and regenerate away from your enemies.

You can borderline control every part/limb of your body. I even think you can get away with just having both arms attached to your head while rolling around and shooting in different directions.

The sword might feel awkward to use (its apparently similar to Metal gear rising, but without the slowmo), but you'll get used to it and its highly effective. Once everything clicks, it actually feels great. You'll feel awesome for mastering the navigation and scale of options. I don't want to sound hyperbolic, but I genuinely think some aspects of the gameplay are very innovative if not (r)evolutionary. Its just the difficulty curve can hinder some people some from really understanding how to play it properly. Thus making it seem unpleasent, tedious, and unenjoyable. The story itself is nonsensial though. Its just there to be entertaining and nothing else, much like a good, quirky low budget b-flick similar to Evil dead and the like. It does its job, isn't very intrusive and isn't meant to be taken seriously (I'll admit its kind of grown on me after my second playthrough though and itsn't all that bad actually). However, the core fun and entertainment value is centered around the gameplay.

The more I play it, the more I like it. I'm playing it a second time on the highest difficulty right now and all your XP resets and transfers from your previous playthrough. I can seriously see myself replaying this again at some point.

I can imagine some people could've gotten put off/frustrated over losing your head repeatedly to put it back in place. When you become familiar enough with how the game works, losing your head will occure far less frequently or become entirely avoidable. Some boss attacks aren't telegraphed properly though because hints can seem too subtle and require you to jump/dodge in the last 1-2 seconds before impact. That's especially true for the last two bosses. But, even that is something you'll eventually adapt to once you've learned how to play the game properly after a while. The last two bosses, on the highest difficulty, felt like a breeze on my second playthrough.

If you're the kind of gamer that gets easily frustrated, thinks physics-based gameplay can be unfair, doesn't enjoy puzzle solving, enjoys a deep story above anything else, and requires handholding all the time, then this isn't for you.

If you're the kind of gamer that has patience then this is for you.
If you're the kind of gamer that get satisfaction from getting skillful at a demanding gameplay system/style then this is for you.
If you're the kind of gamer that like action games then this is for you.
If you're the kind of gamer that can enjoy a b-flick, with a dash of cheesy sense of humor, then this is for you.
If you're the kind of gamer that likes Ninja Gaiden and Dark souls then this is for you.
If you're the kind of gamer that who likes to take on Vanquish tactical challenges regularly then this is for you.
If you're the kind of gamer that enjoy twitch shooters then this is for you.
If you're the kind of gamer that likes puzzles intertwined with shooting games then this is for you.
If you're the kind of gamer that enjoy satisfying combat then this is for you.
If you're the kind of gamer that enjoys a challenge then this is for you.

I think its kind of ahead (no pun intended) of its time and can legitimately see this gaining a dedicated cult following over time similar to God hand. I'm not joking. I'm adamant about this. The scenario even reminds me of the abysmal Godhand reviews prior to its now cult popularity. The only difference being it didn't have someone like Mikami with clout behind it to make people question whether or not the poor reception was valid. Nojiri knew EXACTLY what he was doing when he designed this game. I sincerely think this is a deeply misunderstood game.

I get the impression this was Nojiri's own unique spin on the Cuhraaayzee/character action genre similar to Devil may cry. Nojiri made the mistake assuming the majority of players would be willling to take their time to fully understand the game. The reality is that a majority of the media very likely got fucking filtered. I feel sad for Nojiri. Seriously, the guy was fucking robbed.

This game has kind of cemented my idea of ineptitude within the gaming media. These people aren't qualified to review games. I've been looking through gameplay footage of the game from IGN, Destrucoid and Gamespot, they don't even know what they're doing or even trying. Its all half-assed. This is legitimately one of the most original, ambitious, innovative and unique titles to have been released in the past decade and they're largely responsible for its flop. Nojiri was punished for no reason. These so called reviewers pushed it to fail and drove/discouraged a promising game designer out of the industry. What a bunch of cunts. Fucking scandalous, man. Fuck the media. This is a hidden gem, 2/10 on Sterling's ass. What a gross display of incompetence. I'm so glad I gave this game a chance without being aware of the hate. Otherwise I could've assumed it was bottom of the barrel garbage which couldn't be further from the truth.

I don't normally do long, winded write-ups, but this game warranted it. Especially, after all the negativity its garnered for no reason mixed with absolute nonsense.

7,5~8,5/10. Would recommend.

Tl:dr; Anyone who calls this a bad game is a casual and you can't convince me otherwise.

P.S: For the sake of someone being interested in trying it out: If you feel normal mode is too difficult, consider changing to easy and purchase the "sixth sense" ability (Max payne slow down mechanic) ASAP. It'll ease your frustration when you can predict incoming threats.

P.P.S: Now take a listen to NeverDead's main theme by Megadeth:

Last edited:

Mr Hyde

Having a blast with Metro Redux on Switch. They didn't lie about the survival horror elements in this game. Seems I'm always out of ammo and filter, to the point where it's kinda annoying, but it does raise tension, I give it that.

Flawless port so far. Looks incredible. Dead city made my jaw drop. Still can't believe we've come this far in handheld gaming. Only complaint I have is that it's too dark sometimes, making it hard to see where to go.

Switch keeps cranking out the impressive ports one by one. Amazing what this little system is able to achieve. Love it.

R6Rider

Gold Member
Still regularly playing SIege. The new ops are super fun to play, especially Oryx.

Played the Nioh 2 Last Chance Trial yesterday. Recently started Pillars of Eternity, but struggling with the combat. Occasionally playing Battlefront 2 with the new content.

GymWolf

Yakuza kiwami 2.

People say that this chapter has the best villain of the series, i'm at abouf half game and no, i can't see this for now, villains in y0 are far more interesting for now.

Yeasterday i completed the cabaret story, nice seeing some old character from y0.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
my current rotation playing on PS4 Pro:

Red Dead Redemption 2
Final Fantasy VII Remake Demo
Shadow of the Colossus Remake
Jedi: Fallen Order
Sekiro
Rocket League (as always)

Shai-Tan

Banned
GTA V. I didn't get far into the console version and for whatever reason didn't get the PC version until recently (for $20). I'm much more into it with mouse aiming and it looks significantly better in 4k. I started out playing RDR2 but in addition to the less interesting gameplay, what they're doing with lighting/shadow/lod/whatever kills the clarity in the image at medium to long distances despite the performance hit.

Currently playing on my PS4:

Nier: Automata and finally made it past the introductory first level after months of failing (while drunkenly playing the game, unfortunately) and it pays not to give up and to pay attention while playing the game.

River City Girls. I'm a sucker for beat 'em ups and it reminds me of the Scott Pilgrim game. I like how it's tied to Double Dragon and River City Ransom/Kunio-kun. Fun and Misako best girl.

Street Fighter V: Champion Edition. Not a fan of Capcom re-releasing this game, and the in-game currency but this will be the only one I'll pick up. Grew up with the series, but not too hyped on how they handled this one.

Bayonetta. Loved this game when I had a 360 and was excited to pick it up since I no longer own that system. I still makes me smirk that Bayonetta is picking up rings just like Sonic. Looking forward to give Vanquish a try as well.

drganon

Just beat trails of cold steel 3. Overall, glad I continued to play it after almost giving up on it earlier. Will probably check out the earlier entries at some point.

Also still playing yakuza 5. Finally got past the boring 2nd part.

Finally, still playing xenoblade chronicles 2. Finished ch5 and now on to 6.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Started NG+ in Sekiro last night. I'm already to Mt Senpou temple and I defeated Lady Butterfly, with the bosses and areas in between completed as well. The skill reward in this game feels immense (similar to W101, actually), because once you've learned the combat you can instead focus on stringing together cool kills and mopping the floor with everyone. Feels very much like my NG+ in the aforementioned Wonderful 101. So far, haven't died once (max prayer beads helps, though).

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I’m currently playing Ace Attorney: Trials and Tribulations. Man I can’t believe how hard I fell in love with series and I almost done with the Trilogy but I don’t want to stop, but I don’t know what other Ace Attorney game I should play after the Trilogy.

I’m guessing this the one takes place after the Trilogy....right?

Apollo-justice-english-cover.jpg

Last edited:
Wolcen
Far Cry Primal
Far Cry 5
AC:Odyssey (getting my moneys worth from Uplay+ before I cancel it after Legion)
MLB The Show 19 (42-35 with my Rockies, let’s go)
Grim Dawn

gonna finish Death Stranding eventually

Far Cry Primal in my opinion is highly underrated. Really good game.

so far, through 17 hours, it’s the most fun I’ve had with a FC game since 3. Very pleasantly surprised, had low expectations

5 looks pristine with the UHD texture pack and maxed out settings (with a little Nvidia sharpening to remedy TAA blur) but I’ve had to put it on pause while I play Primal

drganon

so far, through 17 hours, it’s the most fun I’ve had with a FC game since 3. Very pleasantly surprised, had low expectations

5 looks pristine with the UHD texture pack and maxed out settings (with a little Nvidia sharpening to remedy TAA blur) but I’ve had to put it on pause while I play Primal
5 wasn't terrible, but disappointing after 4 and Primal. The dlc to 5 is beyond terrible. The only good thing about that season pass was getting 3 as a bonus.

ebevan91

Pokemon Ultra Moon post-game and I need to finish Ori & the Blind Forest by Wednesday. I'm over halfway through with that one.

Birdo

Banned
Playing Perfect Dark (N64).

I keep getting stuck. It's one of the worst "Where do I go?" FPS' I've ever played. May need to look up a guide.

Ar¢tos

Blasphemous.
Spent 2 days foaming from my mouth of rage trying to kill burned face woman and finally managed, I was pissed off thinking every boss would be that hard but the next boss went down on the 1st try easily (although every next boss might be another screen filled of projectiles struggle...)

S

Steve.1981

Unconfirmed Member
Main game right now is Far Cry New Dawn. It looks great and plays well, but I'm not digging it as much as 5. Just want to finish it for the story.

Also on a NG+ run of Horizon Zero Dawn, got another character up and running in Skyrim and always dipping back into the MCC.

Top Bottom