• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What game are you currently playing?

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Started a new campaign in X-Morph Defense over the weekend and I finished destroying Australia (sorry Scopa Scopa )

I'd put it up there as one of the best indie games this gen. Haven't touched the co-op campaign yet. Blowing up buildings with the darkmatter bomb and watching towers rain hell down on the column of enemies is so fun. I like replaying missions with the improved tech but the limited number of energy units per wave means that the stage is still quite balanced even when revisiting with upgrades that weren't available before.

stranno

Finished Brothers in Arms for N-GAGE 2.0. This Gameloft "port" has five versions. The first one came out for Java ME with the original Gearbox-Ubisoft title, then the previous mentioned title for Symbian came out, then it was remastered-expanded for Nintendo DS, then it was ported (as is) for N-GAGE 2.0. Finally it was remastered for iOS under the name Hour of Heroes.

This port was the 15th N-GAGE 2.0 game ever released (out of 49) and it is FAR better than the original Symbian game: Levels, graphics, controls, etc. Unfortunately it is a pain in the ass to play it in sideways mode, since there are only two operative multimedia buttons (play and stop), i had to use the wonderful MagicKey program (old as shit Symbian software) to map other buttons (Forward and Rewind for strafing). It is a really hard game since Gameloft kept the Nintendo DS difficulty with far worse controls.

Compare both versions.

NcFOONq.gif
f75dggo.gif

Now i'm playing the Mali (an old GPU) version of Brothers in Arms: Global Front HD for Android, that, for some weird miracle, works fine on my OnePlus One 7 Pro (SD855+ and Android 10)! It has nothing to do with Earned in Blood.

fantastico

DOOM 64 on XBONE, just finished I and II recently so having a play through this for the first time since I rented it from Blockbuster in 1997. Think I prefer it to the first two but that might because the soundtrack adds more to the atmosphere, considering getting the PS1 versions as they sound similar.

Shai-Tan

Banned
Ori, and Half Life: Alyx in 10 minutes assuming there are no technical difficulties

I tried to get further to finish God of War yesterday but I lost interest in about an hour due to all the open world collecting crud they added to the series. Will get back to it eventually I suppose.

Shai-Tan

Banned
Started a new campaign in X-Morph Defense over the weekend and I finished destroying Australia (sorry Scopa Scopa )

I'd put it up there as one of the best indie games this gen. Haven't touched the co-op campaign yet. Blowing up buildings with the darkmatter bomb and watching towers rain hell down on the column of enemies is so fun. I like replaying missions with the improved tech but the limited number of energy units per wave means that the stage is still quite balanced even when revisiting with upgrades that weren't available before.

I gave up on that game in five minutes. Maybe I misjudged it. Will add it to the low spec games I have installed on my laptop.

Paltheos

Trails in the Sky SC - Coming up on the end now. Just started the final chapter. Game's a fair step up from FC which felt... a little too old in many ways and wore thin. Game systems are more interesting in SC and scenarios are more interesting, although the latter isn't really fair since so much of FC is setup.

Playing the Steam versions. Mods I've applied: Voiceover patches from Evolution - Wonderful almost without exception. Father Kevin sounds a little too hicky for my tastes. Also applied the Evolution music mod. Nearly all the Evo tracks are better or comparable to the original OST. Anyone saying the original soundtracks are pound-for-pound better are out of their minds. There are a couple good tracks where the remixes go overboard or where the main melody is drowned out, but most of them are just enhanced tracks of the originals which sounds leagues better from the orchestration. I did not apply the Evolution portrait mods. Those are mid-00s overly moe shit. They strip all the character from the art. The originals are way better.

Going for all the achievements. I'm on track for everything except Anton's journey across LIberl. I could swear I talked to him at every juncture but the game is telling me I missed one.

Doom: Eternal - Rip, tear. Dashing adds a whole new dimension to the game. First chapter was annoying from all the bad enemy respawns and low life but gets better after that. Only thing I dislike now are those quadrapeds you have to aim at the tail for. I suck at it and I hate them.

Last edited:

drganon

Took a break from the various RPGs I've been playing and decided to play Arkham city. I've had the collection for two years and finally decided to play it. Just beat city and might do asylum next.

bender

What time is it?
Took a break from the various RPGs I've been playing and decided to play Arkham city. I've had the collection for two years and finally decided to play it. Just beat city and might do asylum next.

Asylum is my favorite. While it has some bad boss encounters, I like the more confined/dense level design which did the best job of feeling like a Metroidvania. I do wonder how I'd view it had I played the series out of order.

drganon

Asylum is my favorite. While it has some bad boss encounters, I like the more confined/dense level design which did the best job of feeling like a Metroidvania. I do wonder how I'd view it had I played the series out of order.
I've only played a little bit of asylum in the past, but I know for certain it's better than knight. Those batmobile missions can go to hell.

SnapShot

Finished Castlevania Lords of Shadow and it's 2 DLCs Reverie and Resurrection, I really like the twist in the DLCs. this game looks like a criminally underappreciated gem, It's beautiful, the combat and the puzzles are fun and It's the best 3D Castlevania to date, where Lament of Innocence and Curse of Darkness felt too repetitive and dull, Lords of Shadow feels more epic with it's environment and gameplay variety and fun combat, it's like a strange hybrid of different games like God of War and Shadow of the Colossus but if you approach it with the right mentally and not compare it to other games or other Castlevanias it's a blast.

Currently going through Lords of Shadow 2 and it already feels like a considerable improvement over the first game, ability to manually control the camera and the option to disable QTEs make the game much more fun to play.

Soodanim

Gold Member
KOTOR

I just picked it up again after a couple years off (never finished). I need to find/make a Steam Controller profile that I'm happy with because if I'm comfy couching I don't really touch it right now.
I had to re-patch for the resolution fix for some reason, but I'm back in the game picking up where I left off. I'm at a space station outside Yevin, playing a Jedi. Also downloaded the ESRGAN texture pack so things look a bit nicer, although it doesn't seem to cover everything.

Trying to use this time in lockdown to burn through some backlog. I already cleared a few more "Never going to touch this" games from my Steam categories today, so now I'm at
In Progress (38)
Next In Line (7)
Not Started (94)
Finished (110)
Won't Touch (61)

Maybe I need a "Maybe one day, but no rush" category. And when RE3make hits none of this matters.

Finished Castlevania Lords of Shadow and it's 2 DLCs Reverie and Resurrection, I really like the twist in the DLCs. this game looks like a criminally underappreciated gem, It's beautiful, the combat and the puzzles are fun and It's the best 3D Castlevania to date, where Lament of Innocence and Curse of Darkness felt too repetitive and dull, Lords of Shadow feels more epic with it's environment and gameplay variety and fun combat, it's like a strange hybrid of different games like God of War and Shadow of the Colossus but if you approach it with the right mentally and not compare it to other games or other Castlevanias it's a blast.

Currently going through Lords of Shadow 2 and it already feels like a considerable improvement over the first game, ability to manually control the camera and the option to disable QTEs make the game much more fun to play.
I'm glad you enjoyed LoS, I gave up on that game. I even put it down to easy mode to try and speed through it for at least the story when I got bored, but I found it so boring no matter what I did.

Last edited:

Codes 208

-doom eternal
-animal crossing: new horizons
-monster hunter world: iceborne
-Phantasy start online 2 open beta

Last edited:
God of War (PS4) - My god, I'm only a few hours in and this game is perfection. I'd grown bored with the character after GoW2, but this version of him has so many layers. I love the relationship with his son, the game is STUNNING, and the combat/puzzles are just pure bliss. I'm enjoying every second of it.

ReCore (XB1) - This has been on my list for years but after finally booting it up and getting into it, I'm shocked at how addicting it is to play. The mechanics feel so snappy and fun to do, the levels are fun to explore, and it plays how I imagine a modern MegaMan Legends would play. It has quick dash, lock on shooting, and upgradable parts for your weapons and your homies.

Last edited:

Aion002

Death Stranding - I still haven't finished... Amazing game, really unique and well made.

DMCV - Really fun, the only problem is that I enjoy playing with Dante more than the other two... Still, a master piece.

Apex Legends - The only Battle Royale that I enjoyed so far. I am terrible at it, out of 10 games I might win one... But I really like it and in this chaos is a good way to keep connected with friends.

Dark Souls 3 - So good... This is the fourth character that I created, I must have finished this game 7 or 8 times already... Two friends joined me for a new playthrough.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Finished with Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney and moving in to Dual Destinies. Capcom need give more love to this series.

Last edited:

xrnzaaas

I think I'm finally done with Yakuza 3, done most of the substories and the hitmen storyline. I'm disappointed with some of the minigames in this entry, karaoke doesn't have enough songs, fishing is frustrating and I really don't like the old version of the darts game. This means I'll have to pass on most of the mini-game trophies. :/

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
Hopelessly addicted to Animal Crossing (sorry for the goofy updates). I've also been playing Doom 64 with no prior experience.

The chain gun is amazing and I'm having a really good time. I do think a lot of the level design is lacing and/or confusing.

Still grinding on Rocket League and Overwatch on a daily basis. I do wish Rocket League would have some time off between passes. It's really starting to burn me out.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
I'm back on that Bloodborne. In this playthrough I am finally using the gun regularly for counters (since I got so accustomed to countering in Sekiro) and it truly makes the game EasyModeCheesyBreezy™. Killed bloodstarved beast last night and am about to unlock the Cathedral Ward gate (already bought the key).

The atmosphere in this game is aces. Villagers murmuring in adjacent rooms, blood splattering everywhere, burning bodies everywhere.

Rodolink

wait until you get to "that" part in LoS2

HEAVENSARMY

Neo Member
Just finish the entire Kingdom Hearts series, so next up to stream is Quest 64 for the N64. Other plans are TES Oblivion, Final Fantasy 11, Star Wars Jedi Fallen Order and more. Hope to see you all there.

Birdo

Banned
Prince of Persia (SNES).

I started with the Megadrive version, but everyone said the SNES version is better. So I switched.

SNES version is faster and more responsive, but it's levels are qute different. It's like a re-imagining.

I decided to replay The Last of Us as a sort of twisted homage to the current global circumstances. Here's a few pics from photo mode. (I always get obsessed with taking pics in games, lol.)

When I played when it first released I used listen mode, but I wanted to see how much different (and better potentially) it is without - and I also upped the difficulty to hard - and I do think it's a better game without the see-through-walls mechanic. Having a really good time with this one again.

z6hUHRy.jpg

wWpeRZq.jpg

3pmJAyZ.jpg

caN2qrB.jpg

PHzKVRk.jpg

gcYVuRp.jpg

Holgren

Taking advantage they were free, I marathoned Half Life 2 and the Episodes. It started a bit slow and gimmicky but at Nova Prospeckt the game clicked with me and started having a lot of fun. Episode 2 was definitely the best part, that ending oof. I started Half Life 1 after but stopped a few hours in, need a break from the series.

I decided to continue Deadly Premonition next but it keeps crashing after a cutscene (Episode 2 part 1) and can't solve the issue. Decided to drop it anyway since I read online that it only gets worse as it goes on in terms of perfomance and that the last boss is unplayable. Don't buy the Steam version of this game its broken!

Finally bought and started Bug Fables, so far it's pretty good.

Last edited:

IpsoFacto

Grand Theft Auto V on Playstation 4.

I'll probably get heat for this but I need to get this off my chest: I think this game is most overhyped experience I've ever had, thus far. Let's start with the positives first, the main characters for the most part are fun, especially Trevor. The game world is huge, maybe a little too big for it's own good and it's very impressive to look at considering that it's a PS3 / Xbox 360 game.

Now here comes what I don't like about GTA V, it has a very messy and unfocused storyline that in my mind, makes the character arcs (Franklin doesn't really have one, to be honest) feel unearned. It's this bizarre slice of life / quasi-consequence free / do whatever-you-want without the goofyness of a Saint's Row game, that throws me off. Characters seem to jump from smaller to big missions seemingly out-of-nowhere. Planning heists on paper seems like an excellent idea, but you have to do so much tedious work (like buy specific items at the gun shop or boost very specific cars and park them in specific areas) before you actually do the job. The large open world at times becomes a chore to traverse, just so characters can give you exposition that you weren't given in cutscenes. Another major issue, money is completely useless in this game. You can get a haircut, buy some clothes, get a lap dance and maybe buy some property. You can pretty much get everything you want after your very first heist.
Because of the large open world, you can easily get lost and bored with the world itself. You can boost a car, run over pedestrians and cops, barricade yourself in your safe house and shoot cops. If you get shot, you can just recover at the hospital for a fee that barely makes a dent in your savings. Also planes and helicopters, I hate using them in this game.

Maybe because this is the first time I've played a full 3D GTA game, but I've played Bully, I've played Red Dead Redemption, I've played the Yakuza games, I've played LA Noire (another one that kinda suffers from similar problems) and all the Saint's Row games except for the first one. It could be because of that, that GTA V just seems a tad unimpressive to me. If I were to pick a really, really good one, I'd say that Red Dead Redemption is by far Rockstar's real gem. I'll pick up the sequel soon.

Until then, I'm just trying to finish this game.

Last edited:

Shai-Tan

Banned
after seeing a cool trailer for snowrunner i played mudrunner for about an hour (game pass) and so far im not sure whats supposed to be fun about it.

also started playing subnautica in vr and while it looks cool I guess I just dont like collect and upgrade gameplay that much. i realize crafting is a means to an end like all the pointless missions and quests in open world games but I suppose I just don't have the patience anymore for the busywork aspect of open world games if there isn't anything particularly compelling about it. exploring and discovery of new areas is cool but foraging and inventory management... not so much. would much rather play a game where complex objects are found through exploration than produced from a magic machine that makes them from collected fish bladders and other arbitrary inputs

GymWolf

i did the gamepass for one month on pc and i tried both crackdown 3 (unistalled after 30 min) and state of decay 2 (unistalled after 3-4 hours).
today i'm probably gonna try bleeding edge and ori2.

Ghost Recon Breakpoint. I know this game has taken a lot of flak. And deservedly so.
But i enjoy roaming the island at night with most HUD disabled, sneaking into enemy bases.

Top Bottom