• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What game are you currently playing?

fart town usa

Gold Member
Still playing thr Crisis Core remaster. I never played it,but between this and FF7R a couple years ago I am being reminded why I used to love JRPGs so much. I'm close to the end of Crisis Core but having so much fun with missions I'm just going to play until I'm bored with it.

It's making me want to replay FFX, FF12, and check out FF15, which I haven't played yet. I forgot how much I love Final Fantasy.
Nice. I said it a few times in the OT but it was really weird that so many people seemed down on Crisis Core. I think it's a great game and damn fun. I played it right before FF7R released and was absolutely hooked on CC. Really tight package of fun gameplay and I loved the story. Zack is an awesome character.

Reactions: WoJ

WoJ

Nice. I said it a few times in the OT but it was really weird that so many people seemed down on Crisis Core. I think it's a great game and damn fun. I played it right before FF7R released and was absolutely hooked on CC. Really tight package of fun gameplay and I loved the story. Zack is an awesome character.
This is me right now. I don't get the hate either. Tons of fun and a nice expansion of the FF7 world and story and some fun gameplay, Zack is a dork but I love him.

Mr Hyde

Sunset Overdrive

Was 75% off on Steam so I decided to strike. I´ve always wanted to try it. The gameplay and weapons are fun, feels classic Insomniac, but the artstyle and characters are fucking awful. The colors, the characters, the music, the humor - everything is just in your face, it´s like I can almost cut myself on the teen edge that flows through every screen. It screams "how do you do fellow kids", middle aged men trying to be hip and cool. Is this how Insomniac views the Xbox fan base? Or is it Microsoft that does? Either way it feels phony. Good thing it´s so fun to play otherwise I would´ve refunded it.

Orta

Banned
Installed Kena last night for I think the third time and gave up again after an hour or so. Its just so mind numbingly dull. Am gutted because I went as far as considering buying an Xbox just for it if it wasn't going to get a PC release.

sedg87

Banned
Resident Evil 0
Finished. Really enjoy 0 even though the dropping items mechanic can be annoying and the bosses are a bit dull. Billy is a pretty good one-off character and Rebecca is underrated.

Resident Evil 2 (Original)
Since it's the 25th anniversary I've decided to play this for the....forgot how many times now! Playing as Claire.

Final Fantasy XII
Just arrived in the Imperial City of Archades. I've been slacking on hunts so may go and complete a few of those. Also yet to check out trial mode.

fart town usa

Gold Member
Installed Kena last night for I think the third time and gave up again after an hour or so. Its just so mind numbingly dull. Am gutted because I went as far as considering buying an Xbox just for it if it wasn't going to get a PC release.
Bridge of Spirits? That's going to XBOX?

But yea, if that's the game you're referring to, I couldn't get into it either. Bought it for my wife and it looked fun when she was playing it but when I tried I was just bored to tears.

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Holy shit. Cyberpunk on PS5? Bought the the PS4 version at launch and stopped playing after an hour.

We're what, almost 2 years later? Holy shit this game looks and performance fine.

Kinda worried about the jankie gunplay so I'll focus on hacking and shit.

Still impressed.

Last edited:

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Bridge of Spirits? That's going to XBOX?

But yea, if that's the game you're referring to, I couldn't get into it either. Bought it for my wife and it looked fun when she was playing it but when I tried I was just bored to tears.

Y'all dont look up YT vids?

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Playing Fire Emblem Engage on hard/classic its really fun, weapon break is both super satisfying and super terrifying if enemy does it to you.

Last edited:

Labolas

Madden 23 - Game delete my career mode. In the trash it goes.

iu

Mr Hyde

Last stretch on Doom 3. The game was pretty solid until you arrived in Hell. After that it's been kind of a slog. My weapons are taken away, the demons are spawning everywhere, usually behind me so that they can get a cheap shot, awful backtracking. The Guardian boss was crap too. I think I have an 1 hour, maybe 2 left. First Doom I'll ever finish, so in that case Doom 3 is pretty fucking good. Every other installment has put me to sleep after only a couple of levels.

sedg87

Banned
The Callisto Protocol
Finally finished. Too many frustrating design choices for me to say that I really enjoyed it. Think it's probably worth a 7/10 maybe.

tav7623

This year as a new year's resolution I decided that I'd go back and try to beat at least 10 games (most of which are now considered classics) that I'd (for the most part) played back when they first came out, but for whatever reason never actually beat. The first game I did as part of this was RE 4 (I originally played it on the GC the day it came out and got as far the Island before getting frustrated to the point of stopping) which I played & beat on Steam with the RE 4 HD Project 1.1 Mod (which I highly recommend as it looks & runs better than the standard Steam HD release and lets you move the camera back so it's not right on top of Leon) a few weeks ago.

The second game, which is what I'm currently playing, is Final Fantasy X HD on the PS4. This game was (technically) my first Final Fantasy game (prior to this I'd watched a friend play some of FF 7 and I'd played a demo of FF 8 that was included on the issue 23 demo disc for the Official US PlayStation Magazine) and at the time it came out (which is when I played it) it was only the second (or 3rd if you include the FF 8 demo) JRPG I'd ever played (the first being Parasite Eve) so it was something new to me. I managed to put in 29 hrs into the game getting all the way to Mt. Gigzhet (I remember having a fight with those 2 shithead Ronso's that don't like Kimarihi) before I had finally had enough with the game's turn based "combat" (which is a gaming mechanic I've grown to hate and it has me hoping that every single FF game that gets remade down the road ditches it in favor of the much better "Action JRPG" style combat system of games like Y's, FF XV,etc.) and decided to take a break from the game. When I did finally return to the game about 6 months later, I found out that my main save file was gone (turns out my sister ended up deleting my primary save to make room for one of her game saves) and my secondary one was set about several hrs back (22 hrs) so I said f**k it, hadn't gone past the 2 hr mark is subsequent playthrough attempts until now. While I still do not like the game's turn based "combat" everything else about the game essentially has me hooked and my memory of the game (which is about 22 years old) has imo helped as I'm about 18 (ish) hours in (spread out on & off over the past 2 weeks so far) and I've only really had trouble with one boss (the
first Seymour fight w/Anima
) so far, which has (imo) been real nice cause I remembered struggling with a couple of bosses from my first playthrough.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Just got up to the Court of the Owls in Gotham Knights and people trashing the game without playing it are missing out on a next-gen Arkham.

Mr Hyde

Last stretch on Ratchet and Clank Rift Apart. I love this game so much. It hasn't had one dull moment. Just pure fun from start to finish. Rivet and Kit are both cute as a button, two very solid additions to the character roster. Overall, I think Insomniac is pretty clever in how they introduce all these new characters harking from a parallel dimension. And the dimension swapping is impressive. I hope developers takes cues and comes up with new interesting ideas regarding level design like this.

Paltheos

This year as a new year's resolution I decided that I'd go back and try to beat at least 10 games (most of which are now considered classics) that I'd (for the most part) played back when they first came out, but for whatever reason never actually beat. The first game I did as part of this was RE 4 (I originally played it on the GC the day it came out and got as far the Island before getting frustrated to the point of stopping) which I played & beat on Steam with the RE 4 HD Project 1.1 Mod (which I highly recommend as it looks & runs better than the standard Steam HD release and lets you move the camera back so it's not right on top of Leon) a few weeks ago.

The second game, which is what I'm currently playing, is Final Fantasy X HD on the PS4. This game was (technically) my first Final Fantasy game (prior to this I'd watched a friend play some of FF 7 and I'd played a demo of FF 8 that was included on the issue 23 demo disc for the Official US PlayStation Magazine) and at the time it came out (which is when I played it) it was only the second (or 3rd if you include the FF 8 demo) JRPG I'd ever played (the first being Parasite Eve) so it was something new to me. I managed to put in 29 hrs into the game getting all the way to Mt. Gigzhet (I remember having a fight with those 2 shithead Ronso's that don't like Kimarihi) before I had finally had enough with the game's turn based "combat" (which is a gaming mechanic I've grown to hate and it has me hoping that every single FF game that gets remade down the road ditches it in favor of the much better "Action JRPG" style combat system of games like Y's, FF XV,etc.) and decided to take a break from the game. When I did finally return to the game about 6 months later, I found out that my main save file was gone (turns out my sister ended up deleting my primary save to make room for one of her game saves) and my secondary one was set about several hrs back (22 hrs) so I said f**k it, hadn't gone past the 2 hr mark is subsequent playthrough attempts until now. While I still do not like the game's turn based "combat" everything else about the game essentially has me hooked and my memory of the game (which is about 22 years old) has imo helped as I'm about 18 (ish) hours in (spread out on & off over the past 2 weeks so far) and I've only really had trouble with one boss (the
first Seymour fight w/Anima
) so far, which has (imo) been real nice cause I remembered struggling with a couple of bosses from my first playthrough.

Don't knock turn-based combat, man. It tends to be easier so I can see why it could be disengaging but allot of people like it (I do).

I'm glad you like much of the rest of the game. FFX is a game with some rough edges, but the aesthetic and style are so distinct and just not something I'm used to seeing in major releases. It's a AAA game where I felt the developers were really inspired to tell their own story in their own way while retaining much of the spirit of the franchise while simultaneously not feeling like it's held back by legacy and market considerations (and general incompetence). One of my favorites in the series.

tav7623

Don't knock turn-based combat, man. It tends to be easier so I can see why it could be disengaging but allot of people like it (I do).

I'm glad you like much of the rest of the game. FFX is a game with some rough edges, but the aesthetic and style are so distinct and just not something I'm used to seeing in major releases. It's a AAA game where I felt the developers were really inspired to tell their own story in their own way while retaining much of the spirit of the franchise while simultaneously not feeling like it's held back by legacy and market considerations (and general incompetence). One of my favorites in the series.
Oh I know that a lot of people like it since it's a slower playstyle that lets you take your time & strategize, but it imo really sucks (and zaps the fun out of playing the game) if you don't like the slower playstyles. Also, I spoke too soon, I just hit my second snag with the Guardian of Bevelle, which I managed to beat it on my second attempt only to die on my way to Yuna and since there's no way (that I saw/noticed) to save after the fight I'm now back at that boss who's now wrecked me twice.

Last edited:

Rhazkul

I am currently replaying BioShock Infinite. Played through it when it first came out in 2013. And now 10 years later it still hasn't lost its charme. Elizabeth - while cute but also annoyingly naive - is a good companion overall and carries the game. The artstyle is still fantastic too. BioShock Infinite will always be one of my favorite games because the story just touches me on a personal level. IMO a masterpiece and a perfect way to end the BioShock-Saga.

Finally started Elden Ring.

It's very good so far. Not nearly as hard as I expected although I'm sure there will be stuff that I just skip later on.

Feels like a more polished Eastern European game where no fucks are given about easing you in gently with 500 tutorials and frankly it's refreshing to see that in a GOTY level game.

There is obvious jank, like the camera, but no-where near as bad as I expected. It looks like a PS3 game when you are watching videos but when actually playing somehow the art transcends the dated graphics and it's often spectacular to look at.

Fredrik

Taking my sweet time on my 4th playthrough of Elden Ring. Been focusing on strength and dexterity and Bloodhound’s Fang as my main weapon. With some incantations on the side, mostly buffing. Then I kept and upgraded the Steel-Wire Torch as a secondary weapon which has firebreather, fantastic for groups of enemies. Just cleared out Nokstella, doing the Ranni questline, I’ve done it before so not sure if I will go with that ending or something else.
Oh, found the Nox Flowing Hammer. Haven’t upgraded it much yet so hard to say how good it is, but the special is kinda awesome, the punch of a hammer with the range of a whip. Nice!
Fantastic game! Can’t get enough of it!

Last edited:

Mr Hyde

Finished Ratchet and Clank Rift Apart. Easily the best Ratchet game. And the most creative too. PS5 opens up new ways for Insomniac to push the franchise to new heights. It looks, runs and plays great. Very polished. The Dualsense used to the fullest, and with almost every weapon feeling unique. I think Control and Returnal are the only one I've tried that can match Ratchet in terms of inventive ways to show off different weapons and the adaptive triggers. Feels so good to play. Rift Apart is a great showcase for PS5. Insomniac knocked it out of the park with this one.

ACESHIGH

Banned
Playing a few games I bought recently:

Fury Unleashed
Bladed Fury
Earths Dawn

With the ocassional round of MK Defenders of the Earth.

Krathoon

I was playing Panzer Dragoon Saga in the Beetle Saturn emulator.

Damn fine game.

I was also getting all the Tomb Raider games to work on my PC. Using dgVooDoo2 helps.
I need to find non interlaced video cutscenes for Tomb Raider 3. I know there is some way to do it.

Last edited:
plAY ASTRO'S PLAYROOM RIGHT THIS INSTANT! YES ITS A PS5 SYSTEM SELLER IT'S BETTER THAN EXPECTED! Any Sony fan worth their salt will appeciate this gem of a 3D action platformer that showcases many Sony homages to their past and well demonstrates the system and controller's capabilities in a charming way, now I'm part of the Astro cult XD

Last edited:

Fredrik

I bored playing pretty much everything for some reason so I modded up Oblivion and playing that for a bit. Amazing how well that game has aged (of course, mods help too).
Floors me still how much there is in this game. So much depth. Still a blast to play.
Yeah it’s fantastic! And it’s special for me, I have so many strong memories from this game, some dark ones (lost my mom and did some escapism to cope) but mostly good ones, it was my first The Elder Scrolls and one of my first western RPGs since the Commodore days. Absolutely love the game world! The nature still looks good. I’ve never actually finished it though, my characters has always end up broken from bad level-up strategies and I always end up doing exploration and side quests instead of progressing the main quest. Same goes for Skyrim btw.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
I bored playing pretty much everything for some reason so I modded up Oblivion and playing that for a bit. Amazing how well that game has aged (of course, mods help too).
Which mods? Anything related to enemy level scaling? I've been meaning to give Oblivion another go, specially if I'm able to fix the level scaling.

I always end up doing exploration and side quests instead of progressing the main quest.
That's me in every Bethesda game. I think the only one I beat was Fallout 3.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Which mods? Anything related to enemy level scaling? I've been meaning to give Oblivion another go, specially if I'm able to fix the level scaling.

These are the ones I have installed so far:

OtGpX91.png

the Character Overhaul one is particularly good. Makes the NPCs look so much better. The Scaling "unclusterfucked" is supposed to help, but I'm still low level.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Yeah it’s fantastic! And it’s special for me, I have so many strong memories from this game, some dark ones (lost my mom and did some escapism to cope) but mostly good ones, it was my first The Elder Scrolls and one of my first western RPGs since the Commodore days. Absolutely love the game world! The nature still looks good. I’ve never actually finished it though, my characters has always end up broken from bad level-up strategies and I always end up doing exploration and side quests instead of progressing the main quest. Same goes for Skyrim btw.

This may sound weird, but I miss these visuals. I think we have lost quite a bit with everyone striving for realistic visuals, high pixel counts, ray tracing, etc. Oblivion looks amazing. Maybe it is nostalgia? I don't know, but I'm loving the aesthetics.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Hah yup same here, actually never finished a single Bethesda game, still easily among my most played games of all time. I think I have like thousand hours logged on Skyrim when adding up all versions and never finished it.
I think I've played Skyrim 3 or 4 times. Always put a lot of hours into each playthrough, but never finished any of the major quests.

Imo Bethesda's writting is kinda meh, which makes me get bored of the main quest of their games. But man, their games really shine when it comes to exploration, enviromental story telling and little crazy sidequests, like the one in Obliviok about going inside a painting. Hell, I think the exploration aspect was the sole reason I put 80 hours into Fallout 4.

This may sound weird, but I miss these visuals. I think we have lost quite a bit with everyone striving for realistic visuals, high pixel counts, ray tracing, etc. Oblivion looks amazing. Maybe it is nostalgia? I don't know, but I'm loving the aesthetics.
Thanks for the mod list man.

As for the visuals, I think it's a mix of the overall visual design combined with how weird everyone looks and all that bloom that's all over the place. Gives the game a fairy tale vibe.

Fredrik

Imo Bethesda's writting is kinda meh, which makes me get bored of the main quest of their games. But man, their games really shine when it comes to exploration, enviromental story telling and little crazy sidequests
Yeah they’re absolutely packed with content, probably the only games that could compete with Elden Ring on that area. And without spoiling anything the below the well area in Elden Ring is totally inspired by the similar Skyrim area that blew my mind first time I saw it. 👌

Top Bottom