• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What game are you currently playing?

Mr Hyde

Holy shit Metroid Prime looks good on Switch OLED. Especially in the dark areas, the lighting is superb. Can't believe Nintendo shadow dropped this out of the blue with this kinda quality. This game also brings out the nostalgia in full effect. Played the shit out of this on the GameCube and I was so impressed with it already back then. I wasn't the biggest Metroid fan at the rime, but after Prime I definitely was. I really hope Nintendo brings out Wind Waker on the Switch too. Fucking loved it on GC.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Like a Dragon: Ishin.

Lots of side content, cool soundtrack, nice combat and the story is peak samurai kino. Quite happy with this one.

Up next, most probably I'll go back to Dragon Quest V.

Holy shit Metroid Prime looks good on Switch OLED. Especially in the dark areas, the lighting is superb. Can't believe Nintendo shadow dropped this out of the blue with this kinda quality. This game also brings out the nostalgia in full effect. Played the shit out of this on the GameCube and I was so impressed with it already back then. I wasn't the biggest Metroid fan at the rime, but after Prime I definitely was. I really hope Nintendo brings out Wind Waker on the Switch too. Fucking loved it on GC.
Prime really is so good looking. I'll never forget the first time I played it - Nintendo was doing this thing across the country called "Cube Club" in which they rented some space temporarily for a day (or two) in random strip malls (maybe elsewhere, but the one near here was in a small strip mall building) and hosted a mini event. They gave away all kinds of stuff (nothing fancy, Gamecube coasters, booklets, etc I still have all of them) and allowed everyone to play Gamecube games. This would have been the summer before Prime's release at the end of 2002. I remember it really blowing me away with the visuals and I was so hyped for that game.

Rambone

Sons of the Forest at the moment.

Finally finished it. Can be a difficult game at times but once you get the hang of how to deal with certain situations and don't try killing everything in sight then it's not too bad. I'm roaming around the island now, probably going to make a new base and setup traps around it. Going to try my hand at a tree fort. Been defending my newb village for awhile but should be moving to places that are blocked off by water to keep enemies from reaching me or one of the empty caverns that I can store consumables.

Mr Hyde

The music in Metroid Prime is so damn good. Kenji Yamamoto is flexing his talents here. Easily one of the best components of the game. From the beautiful and melancholy rhythms of Phendrana Drifts to the dark, heart pounding score in Magmoor Caverns, Prime has an impressive range when it comes to its OST.

I've just beaten the Stone Golem in Phendrana Drifts and acquired the spider ball. Another great thing about the game, which probably is my favorite, is the scanning. I love switching on my scanner and read info about monsters, lore from the Chozos and logs from Space Pirates. Prime has a pretty interesting story, and I love how minimalistic it is, yet so grand and epic. The lore builds upon that of Super Metroid and takes it one step further. However, I think Echoes had the best overall story out of the Prime-trilogy.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Started Octo 2 today finally. Osvald chapter 1 complete. So far the game is great. Pretty much exactly what one would want from a modern JRPG. 1) dark and interesting story, 2) decently difficult boss fights and not a ton of random encounters, 3) good OST and art design.

Still early but its very enjoyable.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Just completed dead space 3 on impossible co op after finishing cenovlade chronicles definite edition.

I've now got too many games on the go, metroid arrived yesterday and is sealed on my desk. Gonna give that a blast but I've decided to wrap up god of war ragmycock now which I'm enjoying a lot after a long break. Should hopefully have that wrapped up this week then I can jump on my list of games and see which one takes my fancy.

Last edited:
I got frustrated with Wo Long so I uninstalled it and booted up Sekiro. Lol at how bad I was for the first hour but after that I was SMASHING it. Such a great game.

Finished the night off with some Cyberpunk NCP missions.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Earth Defense Force 5 (PS5)

This game is utter shite. PS2 era graphics, laughable animations and absolutely cringe, incoherent dialogue.

Oh, and the gameplay is basic and boring AF.

How is this series popular?!

sedg87

Banned
Wo Long: Fallen Dynasty
Beat the first two main battles. The first boss was fairly challenging and took me around six or seven tries to beat him. The following bosses I got on the first tries. Not really sure how to properly distribute my points - May have to look at a guide or something because I've just points in random places. After around 2-3 hours I gotta say I absolutely love the game.

Wo Long. Such a tough game. Just got past the third boss in the game. The first boss was a nightmare since I haven’t played a game like this.

Making my way through my Steam backlog with AI: The Somnium Files. On its surface, a visual novel/hidden object game sounds incredibly boring to me, but I'm actually enjoying it a lot. Some of the upcoming "twists" seem pretty obvious, but who knows, maybe it will surprise me.

GeekyDad

Makes me wonder if that was on purpose. It could be possible they don't want their target Nintendo audience (families, rather than merely single young adults) to get the impression they're changing their focus. The people who will buy Metroid are gonna know about it because, well, most of them are probably like us -- chomping at the bit for the next one.

Glad to hear it's better than you expected.

Persona 3 Portable and I feel like something is going over my head.

I'm only at 6/10. What I'm doing is spending time with social links during the day and then at night increasing my stats. But it feels quite boring and I feel like I'm doing something wrong but I can't think of what else I'm meant to be doing. So it's just the same shit every day... spend time with friend then at night go to karaoke, arcade, cafe, or study. I've been upgrading my gear as much as possible too. I just unlocked the antique store and bought some cards and a custom weapon.

Not sure I can spend another 50 or so hours doing this. I love the characters and story but the gameplay isn't doing anything for me. Even Tartarus is mind numbingly boring. I tried playing on a higher difficulty but was struggling and now it's waay to easy lol.

I'll see how long I can stick with it and maybe I'll just move onto P4G.

Persona 3 Portable and I feel like something is going over my head.

I'm only at 6/10. What I'm doing is spending time with social links during the day and then at night increasing my stats. But it feels quite boring and I feel like I'm doing something wrong but I can't think of what else I'm meant to be doing. So it's just the same shit every day... spend time with friend then at night go to karaoke, arcade, cafe, or study. I've been upgrading my gear as much as possible too. I just unlocked the antique store and bought some cards and a custom weapon.

Not sure I can spend another 50 or so hours doing this. I love the characters and story but the gameplay isn't doing anything for me. Even Tartarus is mind numbingly boring. I tried playing on a higher difficulty but was struggling and now it's waay to easy lol.

I'll see how long I can stick with it and maybe I'll just move onto P4G.

If you don't like the gameplay loop in 3 you're not going to like it in 4. It's essentially the same game with a different coat of paint.

If you don't like the gameplay loop in 3 you're not going to like it in 4. It's essentially the same game with a different coat of paint.
I love P5 so maybe it's just rough for me going back to a 12/13 year old game. I knew going in that it wouldn't be like P5 because obviously 4 and 5 would have improved things.

I was probably being a bit harsh but Tartarus compared to Palaces is quite the step back. There's not much visual difference between levels but it's quite relaxing in a way to push through all the floors and it gives a nice break from all the reading.

Spending time with the characters is fun and I guess I shouldn't have said boring lol. It might be that I'm playing Portable so there are no 3d models or cutscenes so everything feels much more static. I was playing FES originally but quit that because I kept dying and would need to restart to pick an easier difficulty lol and I was hesitant about playing Portable due to lack of the cutscenes etc.

My main problem is that I feel like I'm playing the game wrong. I know I could be doing things more efficiently but I don't want to follow a guide. All I'm asking is if there is anything I should be doing instead of just going straight to social links or trying to increase my stats. At night I can only go to the dorm or the mall but during the day there are lots of places to go. I've explored but all I can really find is doing part time jobs which give a bit of cash.

Sorry if I'm making no sense :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member
Sea of Thieves - just hit 100 in Season 8, ready for the 5th anniversary and Season 9.

Overwatch 2 - Been playing through the battle pass and doing daily/weekly challenges

Quake Champions - It's on the Xbox app on PC now with Xbox achievements, where the hell is the console port?

Diablo II Resurrected - Killing time before the D4 beta.

Dragonflight - Not putting as much time in it as usual but it's feeling like the best expansion since Legion. The Dragon Isles remind me a lot of Outland with the zone variety and feel.

Sea of Thieves - just hit 100 in Season 8, ready for the 5th anniversary and Season 9.

Overwatch 2 - Been playing through the battle pass and doing daily/weekly challenges

Quake Champions - It's on the Xbox app on PC now with Xbox achievements, where the hell is the console port?

Diablo II Resurrected - Killing time before the D4 beta.

Dragonflight - Not putting as much time in it as usual but it's feeling like the best expansion since Legion. The Dragon Isles remind me a lot of Outland with the zone variety and feel.
Has OW2 changed any in regards to the battle pass progression? I played it for a bit at launch and was having fun with it but I felt like I wasn't earning much. In other games with passes I can play them enough to earn credits for the next seasons battle pass. I can't remember the last time I paid for Rocket League pass because I earn enough during the season. Same for Fortnite, well I don't play it as much but I do get free vbucks every so often because I bought StW years ago but I have levelled up enough to get a good few hundred vbucks and can buy next seasons pass.

I know I could just ignore the pass but it put me off. I don't mind buying the pass and if I enjoy the game then playing it enough to earn coins for next season but I didnt' feel OW2 was rewarding at all.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Has OW2 changed any in regards to the battle pass progression? I played it for a bit at launch and was having fun with it but I felt like I wasn't earning much. In other games with passes I can play them enough to earn credits for the next seasons battle pass. I can't remember the last time I paid for Rocket League pass because I earn enough during the season. Same for Fortnite, well I don't play it as much but I do get free vbucks every so often because I bought StW years ago but I have levelled up enough to get a good few hundred vbucks and can buy next seasons pass.

I know I could just ignore the pass but it put me off. I don't mind buying the pass and if I enjoy the game then playing it enough to earn coins for next season but I didnt' feel OW2 was rewarding at all.

I felt the exact same way. You level the pass through the challenges. Weeklys give you 5,000 xp and dailies give you 3,000. Don't know if they changed that over the last two seasons, but I feel like I'm making progress now.

Humdinger

Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart. It's okay. I'm about two-thirds done. Graphically impressive, but I don't feel engaged in the story or characters. Lots of supposedly "emotional" moments that fall flat. Same with the humor. The combat is fine, but I think I'm tired of the R&C formula.

Vyse

Gold Member
Just finished Hogwarts yesterday and started up Ishin. So happy to be back! This is a lost treasure!

Mr Hyde

The attention to detail in Metroid Prime does so much for the immersion. My favorite little detail is seeing Samus eyes when she blasts of a rocket or Wave Beam. But also the movement of the helmet, the UI and her holding her Beam arm adds so much to her as a character. She doesn't speak a single word in the game, yet you feel her struggle as she navigates the hostile world of Tallon 4.

The world building is excellent, with branching paths and a cleverly interconnected map, making exploration such a fun part of the game. I don't mind getting lost or backtracking, it's part of the experience and it too adds to the immersion Retro is trying convey. The story telling and level design reminds me a lot of Dark Souls. I wonder if Miyazaki checked out Metroid Prime before he embarked on his Souls-journey.

Last edited:

Robb

Gold Member
Playing through the Metroid Prime Remaster, it’s so damn good.

Loads of work must have gone in to it because it plays amazingly well still, and it’s one of the best looking Switch games I’ve seen to boot.

stn

Played some Wo Long (PS5), it has been amazing so far. I'm trying to beat Star Ocean: Divine Force (PS4), nearly done. I usually rotate two games at a time, so next game will be either LAD: Ishin (PS5), Hogwarts (XSX), or I'll beat Wanted: Dead (XSX) since I'm already halfway done.

amigastar

Since i found out today that Age of Wonders 4 is in development and releases in May i just installed Age of Wonders Planetfall, so i will be playing this.

Started Yakuza Kiwami, first of the series for me and although I was initially disappointed with clunky ass combat, I am warming up to it now that I’m in chapter 7. It really is a wacky ass game, and I love that about it. Battle bug beauties is absolutely killing me, as is the pocket circuit racing. Might have the best billiards minigame I’ve ever played too.

Waiting on my copy of Metroid Prime Remastered as well, that’s next. It’s been years, I can wait another week or two.

mrmustard

Banned
I’m thinking this and Wario Land will be my next palate cleansers. I used Kirby’s Dream Land after Persona 5 Royal and it definitely did the trick, though I expected it to last more than a half hour.
I think it was like 90 minutes. Can be much faster if you fly through all the levels though. Next is Bart's Escape from Camp Deadly.

Started Yakuza Kiwami, first of the series for me
Man, I would have picked Zero personally, given it's the first chronologically and probably the best

I fell off of Yakuza games after enjoying Zero when I realised that each game is almost the exact same side stories over and over but with increasingly more convoluted and impossible-to-follow plots

I played some of the Half-Life 2 VR mod. It's neat. Smooth turning doesn't give me nausea in this game, which I appreciate. The textures are a little too low-res for VR but whatever. Putting a can in a bin has never felt so good and I gave the Combine guard a lil salute to thank him for his service

Hestar69

I love P5 so maybe it's just rough for me going back to a 12/13 year old game. I knew going in that it wouldn't be like P5 because obviously 4 and 5 would have improved things.

I was probably being a bit harsh but Tartarus compared to Palaces is quite the step back. There's not much visual difference between levels but it's quite relaxing in a way to push through all the floors and it gives a nice break from all the reading.

Spending time with the characters is fun and I guess I shouldn't have said boring lol. It might be that I'm playing Portable so there are no 3d models or cutscenes so everything feels much more static. I was playing FES originally but quit that because I kept dying and would need to restart to pick an easier difficulty lol and I was hesitant about playing Portable due to lack of the cutscenes etc.

My main problem is that I feel like I'm playing the game wrong. I know I could be doing things more efficiently but I don't want to follow a guide. All I'm asking is if there is anything I should be doing instead of just going straight to social links or trying to increase my stats. At night I can only go to the dorm or the mall but during the day there are lots of places to go. I've explored but all I can really find is doing part time jobs which give a bit of cash.

Sorry if I'm making no sense :messenger_tears_of_joy:
I hear ya. I haven't played P3 yet but after P5 I finally played P4 when it came to xbox and its............very,very VERY,slow it picks up 40+hrs in and finally got good but damn...compared to p5 i was a little let down. (love p5 p4 was good tho when all said and done)

I'm currently playing:

Atomic Heart.... The games meh..some good,ALOT bad

ys8 - Kinda liking it now on chapter 3 it's picking up.

sedg87

Banned
Wo Long
Really, really disappointed with some of the boss fights in this game. The last few have been really poorly designed.

Last edited:

Mr Hyde

Phazon Mines really amped up the difficulty. Only one save station before a long gauntlet of rooms with multiple Space Pirates wrecking your shit. I don't remember the game being this tough. Up until now it's been a breeze so it's always jarring to see these kinda difficulty spikes seemingly out of nowhere.

Viz108

Neo Member
Just bought Deep Rock Galactic after Sseth's review and the anniversary sale and holy shit, where has this game been all my life. Turns out the gaping hole inside of me was a 4'2 space dwarf co-op shooter all along.

Man, I would have picked Zero personally, given it's the first chronologically and probably the best

I fell off of Yakuza games after enjoying Zero when I realised that each game is almost the exact same side stories over and over but with increasingly more convoluted and impossible-to-follow plots

I played some of the Half-Life 2 VR mod. It's neat. Smooth turning doesn't give me nausea in this game, which I appreciate. The textures are a little too low-res for VR but whatever. Putting a can in a bin has never felt so good and I gave the Combine guard a lil salute to thank him for his service

I usually like playing in order of release, not opposed to going back to 0 at some point though. I don’t plan to binge these games though.

sedg87

Banned
Silent Hill
Despite horror games being my favourite genre, I've never really played much of the Silent Hill games. I got stuck on the piano puzzle in the school when I played the game as a kid and have never been past that part until now. Got the gold and silver medallions and entered the nightmare school.

Top Bottom