• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What game design choices do you consider 'not respecting your time'?

Naked Lunch

Battle Royale genre.
You spend 30+ minutes looting houses and corpses only to get headshot from a mile away outta nowhere... and its all just over.
Back to the title screen, Try again.
Zero respect for your time and very little in return.
This genre needs to die already.

PocoJoe

Banned
"collect 100 coins, stars, potatoes, whatever" like in mario odyssey. Even if they are not mandatory, they are just fucking boring and cheap way to "add gameplay"

Weilthain

Banned
The fast sail auction house game in the wind waker hd. So frustrating in so many ways. The game isnt fun for a start, and if you aren’t aware of the fast sail you aren’t likely to repeat the process over and over. Can’t understand why they thought that was a good idea.

Pejo

Respecting time is a meme constructed by game journalists. They're the only ones on some sort of schedule to rush through a game and get their review out first.

You're there to play the game because you enjoy it. If you don't enjoy it, stop playing the game. There are a ton of filler or bs decisions that can get put into a game, but I don't think they're there out of disrespect. Just poor directing or something.

That said, more on topic, I actively dislike time gating like weekly lockouts and waiting until some misc. UTC time to progress. They could at least tie it into the game world somehow to make it not quite so jarring.

Constantly redoing a boss phase, then having to wait for a cutscene to load before immediately skipping it THEN finally getting to the boss you should be fighting.
I am of course referring to Sekiro's final boss, like why should I waste my time watching the same cutscenes and fighting the same easy boss over and over because I keep getting my ass handed to me by the difficult boss after it. Just cut to the chase already.

Aside from that, I think my other nitpick is overly long railroaded intro segments of which there's not much happening narrative and gameplay wise. If you cannot get me interested within the first 30 minutes (add 1 hour for RPGs), then you've lost me and I ain't gonna bother continuing.

Kadayi

Banned
Pretty much always UI issues. I love CK2 to death, but the UI in that game seems actively designed to make your life as the player harder rather than easier.

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
Respecting time is a meme constructed by game journalists. They're the only ones on some sort of schedule to rush through a game and get their review out first.

You're there to play the game because you enjoy it. If you don't enjoy it, stop playing the game. There are a ton of filler or bs decisions that can get put into a game, but I don't think they're there out of disrespect. Just poor directing or something.

That said, more on topic, I actively dislike time gating like weekly lockouts and waiting until some misc. UTC time to progress. They could at least tie it into the game world somehow to make it not quite so jarring.
I'm sorry, what? I'm an adult, I work 40 hours a week. I commute an hour each work day. I have to buy groceries and gas and household items and keep my house up. I have social and family commitments. I have hobbies and interests outside of video games. I only have so much time to play video games, a game wasting the time I've committed to playing it with non-entertainment timesinks is absolutely a problem. Game journalists have much more time to play video games than I do, because it's their job. This isn't a made up issue created by out of touch creative types, it's something that effects real people trying to enjoy their chosen form of entertainment.

RuhRo

The moment you’re making me repeat the same task over and over with little to no variation, for a randomized shot at loot, I'm suspicious.

Last edited:
Top Bottom