• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What game has the strongest "Tetris Effect" on you?

I swear, I am legitimately in a Rocket League game every single time I snap back into reality after being half asleep. And the physics are always so on point. The same thing ahppened to me when I was completely obsessed with Smash 64. It's basically my way of counting sheep to go to sleep.

Do any of you guys and gal(s?) regularly get the Tetris Effect?

Het_Nkik

Anything I play too much of with repetitive animations right before bed.

Currently I have Hatsune Miku: Project Diva F button prompts flying through my vision all night while trying to get to sleep.

jeemer

the only time i've ever experienced something like this that I can recall was with quake 2. i would use a red dot reticle and after long sessions i'd still be vaguely aware of it in my field of vision for a while.

devonodev

Funnily enough, Tetris.

I would get this with Guitar Hero, picturing those colored notes notes going down in my mind far too often.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
I've dreamt of playing entire levels of Sonic in my dreams, so I guess that counts. When I was really into DDR I'd see the arrows as well. On and Pokemon Go the first day I played it, the image of walking around a map with that one song looped.

Honestly, it's gotta be Tetris. Back in high school my entire group of friends got into Tetris DS for a few weeks and we all experienced it. Good times.

Rainbow Six Siege. I get lost in the high stakes/high reward gamble and end up playing hours at a time. The game is a true triumph.

Metal Gear.

I keep subconsciously thinking about ways to move from point A to point B in the stealthiest way possible.

Yeah, I have issues.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Two games did this to me.

Star Wars Episode I Racer. I started seeing speed lines all the time. I guess because it was my first high speed racer. F-Zero/Wipeout haven't really done that to me since.

DDR. Arrows floating upward while I'm driving to work :p

trimon

After playing Fire Emblem a lot, I began seeing every real life action as turn-based, even conversations.

I've dreamt of playing entire levels of Sonic in my dreams, so I guess that counts. When I was really into DDR I'd see the arrows as well. On and Pokemon Go the first day I played it, the image of walking around a map with that one song looped.
I had the most insane dream of my life shortly after Pokemon Go came out! I lived in "Deep Space", a parallel universe in the depth of the ocean, for over 150 days in the dream! I was fucking exhausted going to work the next morning and trying to collect my thoughts, haha. Pokemon Go was very loosely tied into the dream in that once I returned from Deep Space, I had a similar app that displayed the parallel universe (like what Deep Space looked like relative to where we were on Earth) to my friends back on Earth.

A bit off my own topic, but crazy how video games can affect our dreams and whatever other altered states

woopWOOP

I played so much TF2 back in the day that I'd dream about it at night and randomly think about trying certain tactics while I was busy during the day. Ohyeah, eating sandwhiches definitly made me think of the Heavy too, lol

Rainbow Six Siege. I get lost in the high stakes/high reward gamble and end up playing hours at a time. The game is a true triumph.

While I love Siege, I think OP is referring to 'after-images' or effects that linger and persist in your mind after playing a game extensively.

Myself, Lumines gave me this effect exactly. I played BF3 like a champ and kept imagining matches all the time haha. More recently, incidentally, playing Siege has made me acutely aware of how many security cameras are in our day-to-day world haha

I had this happen to me twice ever

Once was Halo 3. I played it waaaaaay too much and there were nights I would lay down to sleep and when I would close my eyes I would see the BR reticle

And when Skyrim was first out it did something similar to me mentally. I remember standing outside, seeing some grasses and thinking those would make good crafting materials. It was then I knew I had to turn the game off for a while

The Witness was a recent one for me.
I kept seeing line puzzles all over the place, even cracks in the sidewalk.
It was pretty fun actually!

Very light spoiler and you probably wouldn't know it was one, but just in case.

Age of Empires II . Played so much that when I closed my eyes I could see/feel a diamond shaped map with the black around the edges being formed. Couldnt sleep for hours...

jobrro

Sometimes after long sessions of The Sims or SimCity series I would be waiting for a certain time in the real world, and just think myself I will just fast forward time in the until the time I was waiting for. Happened on more than a few occasions.

Edit: Also started taking serious notice of shipping containers after many hours of MGSV.

I had this happen to me twice ever

Once was Halo 3. I played it waaaaaay too much and there were nights I would lay down to sleep and when I would close my eyes I would see the BR reticle

And when Skyrim was first out it did something similar to me mentally. I remember standing outside, seeing some grasses and thinking those would make good crafting materials. It was then I knew I had to turn the game off for a while
Bro... You should have crafted what your hearts desired and continued playing the game, both virtually and in the real world 😏

But I'm loving all the replies everyone, keep em comin! I may need to check out Lumines and Picross

balohna

Tetris of course, but other examples:

THPS (looking for grind rails), Halo (lining up sword kills), The Witness (finding connecting lines with circles at one end), Gears (sliding into "cover" IRL).

Wow! Didn't know there was a name for it. Thanks.

Basically this happens to me when I play a game a long time. But especially with simple-looking puzzle games. Hexic was really bad. Them rotating blocks, man. Most recently Gems of War.

I experience the effect very visually and vivid.

Holy shit. This condition actually has a name. I always said Tertris makes people go crazy. Diet soda too.

I specifically avoid Tetris because of this effect but I think I caught a bit of it when I was hooked on Downwell.

vakarian32

Tony Hawk's Pro Skater for me. Every set of stairs, hand rail or ledge I went past I would mentally visualize doing tricks on it.

Nosgoroth

Henry Hatsworth. I couldn't relax even in my sleep because if I stopped looking the blocks would reach the top of the screen and I'd be screwed. It got so bad I had to stop playing.

Eusis

Picross comes to mind. That might be the most intense case, though there have been others just because of the nature of puzzle games.

johnsmith

remember me
Catherine was the strongest in a while. I kept playing it in my head as I went to sleep for weeks after I stopped playing it.

Tetris Attack/Panel de Pon is another. As a kid in church i'd spend the entire hour thinking about it.

Mephala

The most recent is destiny. I'd close my eyes and see this shit.
kxticzvgrtmopwoywdyz.gif

The strongest though would be Osu! A few years ago I gave up on the game because it was addicting and was ruining my mouse, keyboard and the songs I was playing. The songs just never sounds right without the beats and pops once you get into it.

The circles! I see it and my fingers twitch a bit.
1909723_170x100.png

tumblr_n4fjb93SkS1tujk42o1_500.gif

I'd hear the pop sound, I'd be mimic the spin sound when I'm beating eggs. >.> Yes, I stopped after I got egg everywhere.

Steel

Banned
I always hated tetris. But Rocket League is indeed a great game mechanically.

Catherine also had that effect on me for awhile, every time I'd close my eyes I'd think about ways to get up a tower of blocks

Toxi

Banned
Monster Hunter. I once hunted so many Diablos in 3U for Hardhorns I kept hearing that goddamn scream even when I wasn't playing,

DrNeroCF

Definitely Starcraft, I'd see little dudes running around while I was trying to sleep.

Kinda hard to fall asleep when you're worried about your base...

Pyccko

Never really had this. Closest thing for me would be to keep hearing the Pokemon R/B/Y music after I shut it off.

EDIT: Actually now that I think about it, back in the Guitar Hero II days, I couldn't listen to a song without imagining a note chart to go with it.

Top Bottom