• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What game series has the craziest timelines?

SinDelta

Hardmode 1 - No Kingdom Hearts
Hardmode 2 - No SMT

Zelda for me. Not just Ocarina of Time having a split timeline, then later on a fallen hero timeline where Link fails to defeat Ganon for a combined three different timelines. Not even mentioning Breath of the Wild taking place 10,000!? years after any other Zelda game.

Halo also because the lore added after 3,4 sounds extremely YMMV with prehistoric humanity being a interstellar superpower???

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Fight me.
hpgG2bo.gif

Ezquimacore

Banned
The Zelda timeline is one gigantic retcon. Zelda 1 & 2 are connected, the Oracle games are, and the 3D games excluding BotW are. The rest are not.
a link to the past,link's awakening, oracle games have the same Link, A Link between world is the descendant of that Link. after that there's the first two game. pretty easy.

Mohonky

Hardmode 1 - No Kingdom Hearts
Hardmode 2 - No SMT

Zelda for me. Not just Ocarina of Time having a split timeline, then later on a fallen hero timeline where Link fails to defeat Ganon for a combined three different timelines. Not even mentioning Breath of the Wild taking place 10,000!? years after any other Zelda game.

Halo also because the lore added after 3,4 sounds extremely YMMV with prehistoric humanity being a interstellar superpower???
I havent played Halo 5 (come on MS PC version plz) but I love the whole 'ancient aliens' story. I find the whole concept intriguing.

Tschumi

...zelda? Maybe it was a symptom of my era but wind waker et al seemed entirely disconnected, if set in the same, like, continent/region.. but even then i dunno

Last edited:
That was before, now actually makes some sense and is easy to follow. once you understand there's just one Ganondorf and multiple depictions from three different timelines after ocarina of time, everything fits.
No it doesn't, and you have to screw up events even more just to get what you're talking about

Three

Zelda is a good choice OP. Another one is Bioshock and Prince of Persia.

God of war is starting to make less sense to me in terms of timeline. I have no clue what's going on in that timeline anymore. From different mythologies to timetravel of jormungandr in the new one. He is alive and from the future but his skeleton is there too. Norse mythology is confusing.

LMJ

Mortal Kombat
maxresdefault.jpg

lol yup, you win seriously never seen a more convoluted plot, and I've played ALL of Kingdom Hearts. P.S if you ever want a chuckle watch Dartigans Game Sins video on the Mortal Kombat lore lol I couldn't stop laughing

As for Zelda, they were a bunch of non canonical stories (sans OOT and MM) that they then decided (for whatever reason) to try and tie together with a time line lol but yeah...no

Soodanim

Legacy-of-Kain.jpg

Legacy of Motherfuckin Kain

It might not be the craziest, because it’s one timeline with many jumps and is well enough written to make sense. It shouldn’t be punished for that.

FingerBang

I said hard mode is not using Kingdom Hearts, never said it can't be used. I will admit that looking at Kingdom Hearts timeline diagrams makes me go what the fuck every time. Even more with SMT. :messenger_grinning_smiling:
Last year I decided to play all the kingdom hearts game I hadn't played before. (BBS, DDD, 2.8 and III). I still have absolutely no idea what the hell is going on in that game and will take any chance I have to shit on Nomura. When a timeline is that confusing, it has retcon written all over

Cutty Flam

Banned
...zelda? Maybe it was a symptom of my era but wind waker et al seemed entirely disconnected, if set in the same, like, continent/region.. but even then i dunno
TLoZ series spoilers below in my post, primarily Ocarina of Time and The Wind Waker

There are two separate realities that take place within the timeline regarding the history of Hyrule after the events of Ocarina of Time when Link is victorious in defeating Ganon; the Child Era (where Link returns to original time) and the Adult Era (where the Hero of Time disappears and Ganondorf is free to return unopposed)

The Wind Waker takes place after these events occur, in the Adult Era where Link is triumphant

-Ganondorf is Sealed
-Hero of Time disappears
-Hyrule is Sealed and then Flooded
-Ganondorf is Resurrected

Basically The Wind Waker takes place hundreds of years after the events of Ocarina of Time. Ganondorf was meant to stay sealed within the Sacred Realm (which is at the bottom of the Sea, where Hyrule itself is sealed) but resurrects once again

The story of The Wind Waker is great. I can’t wait to see if it ends up on the Switch. Once I buy the remake for Link’s Awakening, that’ll be the start of a Zelda marathon for me. Would definitely aim to 100% TWW if it came to the Nintendo Switch

Tschumi

TLoZ series spoilers below in my post, primarily Ocarina of Time and The Wind Waker

There are two separate realities that take place within the timeline regarding the history of Hyrule after the events of Ocarina of Time when Link is victorious in defeating Ganon; the Child Era (where Link returns to original time) and the Adult Era (where the Hero of Time disappears and Ganondorf is free to return unopposed)

The Wind Waker takes place after these events occur, in the Adult Era where Link is triumphant

-Ganondorf is Sealed
-Hero of Time disappears

Basically The Wind Waker takes place hundreds of years after the events of Ocarina of Time. Ganondorf was meant to stay sealed within the Sacred Realm (which is at the bottom of the Sea, where Hyrule itself is sealed) but resurrects once again

The story of The Wind Waker is great. I can’t wait to see if it ends up on the Switch. Once I buy the remake for Link’s Awakening, that’ll be the start of a Zelda marathon for me. Would definitely aim to 100% TWW if it came to the Nintendo Switch
Loved every minute of TWW <3

TY for writeup

Tschumi

-Ganondorf is Sealed
-Hero of Time disappears

If it's okay... Brief follow up: which timeline is Twilight Princess set in? And Skyward Sword? (No SS spoilers pretty please, just bought the remaster)

Cutty Flam

Banned
Loved every minute of TWW <3

TY for writeup
Same here. My friend and I were so hyped back in the day. Everyone was kind of upset about the art direction but we both thought it was amazing when news first got out. And The Wind Waker commercial that played during the previews of Star Wars: Attack of the Clones back in 2002 (first time seeing it) got me so hyped. It’s a 10/10 game honestly, even though I consider it to be the 4th greatest in the series

The freedom to explore the sea and find treasure is extraordinary. Part of the game is patience at sea as Link navigates but a lot of people were frustrated with the waiting. Personally, I loved it

UnNamed

Banned
Street Fighter has a pretty crazy time line:
Street Fighter
Street Fighter Alpha
Street Fighter Alpha 2
Street Fighter Alpha 3
Street Fighter 2
Street Fighter 4
Street Fighter 5
Street Fighter 3

Tschumi

Same here. My friend and I were so hyped back in the day. Everyone was kind of upset about the art direction but we both thought it was amazing when news first got out. And The Wind Waker commercial that played during the previews of Star Wars: Attack of the Clones back in 2002 (first time seeing it) got me so hyped. It’s a 10/10 game honestly, even though I consider it to be the 4th greatest in the series

The freedom to explore the sea and find treasure is extraordinary. Part of the game is patience at sea as Link navigates but a lot of people were frustrated with the waiting. Personally, I loved it
I spent my whole childhood begging my mum to buy me a console.. in the end she bought a GameCube on sale for about 90 euros... I was pretty ignorant so i thought it was some kind of pseudo-console, nothing like the ps2s or xboxes of my friends, so i didn't have the highest expectations.. it came with TWW and OOT Master Collection.. I was just mindblown by how slick and smooth zelda was, with such gorgeous blue water and yellow hair, etc etc etc.. great music too... Before long i got Metroid Prime, ssx tricky.. not long after that ssx 3 and a Lucas arts game called Gladius... It was perfect.

Soodanim

If it's okay... Brief follow up: which timeline is Twilight Princess set in? And Skyward Sword? (No SS spoilers pretty please, just bought the remaster)
TP is in the child timeline that follows the ending of OoT into MM.

After you’re done with SS, look up the scans of the official timeline. They don’t say anything aside from position in the timeline (obviously) and sometimes a few words to highlight an event of note.

Cutty Flam

Banned
Twilight Princess branches from the Child Era, after the Hero of Time is triumphant over Ganon in OOT and returns to his original time; when he and Zelda were kids

-The Sacred Realm is protected
-The Demon Thief, Ganondorf, is Executed
-Then comes the Twilight Era

The thing is, Ganondorf was meant to be executed. But this did not happen. The Sages failed to execute, and one even perishes. The Sages did manage to banish Ganondorf to the Twilight Realm via the Mirror or Twilight

Based off what Nintendo has given, I think Twilight Princess is also hundreds of years after the events of Ocarina of Time. But it definitely takes place in the Child Era
Since you have not played Skyward Sword yet, I’ll refrain from answering the question. Its placement is interesting though. That’s what piqued my interest the most actually. The story is what I like most about Skyward Sword

Last edited:

Tschumi

Twilight Princess branches from the Child Era, after the Hero of Time is triumphant over Ganon in OOT and returns to his original time; when he and Zelda were kids

-The Sacred Realm is protected
-The Demon Thief, Ganondorf, is Executed
-Then comes the Twilight Era

The thing is, Ganondorf was meant to be executed. But this did not happen. The Sages failed to execute, and one even perishes. The Sages did manage to banish Ganondorf to the Twilight Realm via the Mirror or Twilight

Based off what Nintendo has given, I think Twilight Princess is also hundreds of years after the events of Ocarina of Time. But it definitely takes place in the Child Era
Since you have not played Skyward Sword yet, I’ll refrain from answering the question. Its placement is interesting though. That’s what piqued my interest the most actually. The story is what I like most about Skyward Sword
SS got hugely good reviews when it released, i know that doesn't mean much - every Zelda game seems to get that treatment - but I'm going into it with a very open and obliging mind. I'm gonna love this shit! Or know the reason why~

Cutty Flam

Banned
SS got hugely good reviews when it released, i know that doesn't mean much - every Zelda game seems to get that treatment - but I'm going into it with a very open and obliging mind. I'm gonna love this shit! Or know the reason why~
It’s the most polarizing Zelda game. I can talk literally all day about that game. To the point where people would probably think I’m crazy haha. But I can do that with almost all the 3D Zelda games. Curious to see what you and the others new to playing SS will think when it drops

Tschumi

It’s the most polarizing Zelda game. I can talk literally all day about that game. To the point where people would probably think I’m crazy haha. But I can do that with almost all the 3D Zelda games. Curious to see what you and the others new to playing SS will think when it drops
I think I'm smelling an LTTP opportunity!

Top Bottom