• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What game series has the craziest timelines?

VGEsoterica

The D / Enemy Zero franchise. Laura is the same character...except she isn’t? You go from a hospital with Vampires to a game set in space to a game in the Arctic with tentacle monsters.

three games, same protagonist, wildly different situations and timelines

Bakkus

a link to the past,link's awakening, oracle games have the same Link, A Link between world is the descendant of that Link. after that there's the first two game. pretty easy.
Is that really true? Was that clear at the time? The Oracle games having the same Link doesn't make sense as they're different timelines.

Keihart

The only shit as stupid as kingdom hearts i can think of is either Blazblue or Guilty Gear, i think they are on pretty even ground.

Last edited:

kiphalfton

Dragon Ball Z/Super/GT

Multiple timelines and universes. And yet the games still follow the Saiyan through Buu arc lol

Last edited:

Cutty Flam

Banned
Is that really true? Was that clear at the time? The Oracle games having the same Link doesn't make sense as they're different timelines.
It’s true, I think. When I was playing Oracle of Ages and Seasons at the time, it personally never registered with me. I still haven’t played Link’s Awakening yet, but according to the official timeline it’s likely the same Link

ALTTP, OOA & OOS, LA all take place in the Era of Light and Dark according to the official timeline. I wonder how many years it was in between the games? Like starting at ALTTP to OOX to LA? Maybe there’s someone out there who knows the finer details and can say

If it's okay... Brief follow up: which timeline is Twilight Princess set in? And Skyward Sword? (No SS spoilers pretty please, just bought the remaster)
Skyward Sword is the first game timeline wise. Then you go into Minish Cap, then Four Swords until we reach Ocarina of Time and then the split happens.

I can't take the opinion of anyone who claims BotW is connected to any other game in the series seriously.

According to Aonuma Breath of the Wild is not connected. This is a direct quote,

"In books like the recently released The Legend of Zelda Encyclopedia, we revealed where each Zelda game fell on a timeline and how their stories related, but we didn’t do that for Breath of the Wild. There is a reason for that. With this game, we saw just how many players were playing in their own way and had those reactions I just mentioned…If we defined a restricted timeline, then there would be a definitive story, and it would eliminate the room for imagination, which wouldn’t be as fun."

I personally like that some of the games are direct sequels or connected directly but I feel it's silly to try and force the connection between all of them. That being said I did enjoy the story of Skyward Sword and what it was trying to establish.

Is SMT really that complicated?

SMT2 is a sequel to SMT1, SMT3 is in a separate universe and establishes a multiverse that SMT1&2 are a part of, SMT4 and 4A are in their own universe with connections to SMT1&2, SJ has connections to the mainline universe, Persona is its own universe, DeSu 1 is its own universe, DeSu 2 is its own universe, Raidou is its own universe, DDS is its own universe, Soul Hackers is its own universe. . .

It's basically like the Final Fantasy series, except with a mainline of loosely connected games. I guess technically they all take place in the same multiverse, but the mainline games revolve around YHVH or the Great Will in some way, with those entities being multidimensional. It's all very loose outside of 4A.

Something like the Official Zelda Timeline^TM is way harder to understand or guess at because the games were not supposed to be linked (lol). Kingdom Hearts is just a mess because the story is a mess.

Last edited:
Castlevania timeline is quite crazy.

d25p6yq-7f171156-26ee-4aa7-97a2-0c8629510b17.jpg

IDK, you have some weird games like CotM and OoE that are sidestories, but the rest are pretty straightforward. Castlevania 4 is a little weird I guess, because it is a reboot of 1.

Top Bottom