• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

what games did you think you wouldn't like but bought them and enjoyed?

maybe it was a game that was about to come out that you had no interest in so ignored it but because it was being hyped up/getting good reviews you felt like you were missing out. Or maybe it's a game that was out for a while which people always recommended/talked about but you looked at it and thought it was weird/cringe/too difficult.

the games that inspired me to make this topic are:

Bloodborne - i remember the marketing and i saw a bit of gameplay but because i knew it was something like Dark Souls i had no interest in it. i thought it was too difficult and i wouldn't like it. of course it started getting good reviews and i felt like i missing out so bought it. it took a while for it to click but i fell in love with the game and all the dark souls games. it's one of my favourite games of all time and i can't wait for Elden Ring!

Persona 5 - couldn't take it seriously because it was anime and waifus. i remember hating the look of the main character and thinking the whole game looks cringey. it's one of the highest rated games on PS4 and i kept seeing it everywhere so wanted to see what the deal was with it. was hooked on it and again ended up one of my favourite games.

The Witcher 3 - i had no idea the game existed until like a couple months before it came out and everyone was excited for it. i thought because of the name it was about witches and shit which didn't sound interesting at all to me. i thought Yennefer/Triss were the main characters lol. of course i looked into a bit before release but still i remember on launch day hesitating if it was worth the £55 price. after about 10-15 hours i felt it was totally worth it and by the time i finished it i thought i had paid way too little.

Nier Automata - kinda like persona...couldn't take it seriously mostly because of 2B's sexualised appearance. thought it was another creepy game and that it was a silly final fantasy rip off because of the stupid emo hair and floating/large swords. again due to positive reviews i tried it and straight away enjoyed it. such a beautiful world, amazing soundtrack, fun gameplay.

what games are you glad that you gave a chance even though it was something you originally had no interest in or avoided?

Last edited:

Tams

Sounds like you judge books by their cover far too readily.

At least you are willing to give games that you've already judged harshly a go. But try going in with an open mind from the beginning. It's far more relaxing.

SweetShark

For me it will be "Copy Kitty".
I got it with a videogame bundle, so I didn't have something to lose by trying it a little.
This is the game a recent MegaMan game needs to be. I am not joking. This game is brutal and awesome. You can steal and combine together the abilities of your enemies and cause ultra mayhem. Highly recommend.

b3fa6793e4e39b240ca099266f40a244b8494dfd.jpg

Cattlyst

Tiny Metal. It's a turn based strategy game but I've always been more of a real time strategy fan. But man that game and the sequel hooked me. It even made me go back and play the Advance Wars games on the GBA. I never expected it to totally change my opinion on turn based strategy. I actually prefer them now to RTS. All thanks to Tiny Metal.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Cyberpunk - had no interest in the game. Didn’t follow its development.. just didn’t care. But there as really nothing else to play at that time so I bought it on steam and ended up loving it. Played through it 4 times.

MastAndo

Hades. I'm not into rogue-anything, but I liked the art style and it was $20, so I gave it a shot. I ended up loving it far more than I thought I would. Just a tremendously well-crafted game.

Plantoid

First, a game that I though I would like and I didn't:

Red dead redemption 2... Fucking "game" looks like a big cutscene, one of the worst gameplays I ever experienced, big empty world, I'm truly disappointed

On topic: Control, at first I was confused about where to go next and so on, but once the game clicks it's good, the story is compelling, shooting feels right, I was pleasantly surprised

Why would i buy a game that i think i won't like? There are too many games out there to do that. Would make more sense with Game Pass / PS Now. I found lots of games on GP i really enjoyed, but never would have bought or heard about before.

Hydroxy

I enjoyed Days Gone more than HZD and CB2077 which I did not expect to. Also started Marvel's Avengers yesterday and so far the single player campaign has been pleasantly surprising.

MiguelItUp

Mass Effect. I remember when it was new and everyone was talking about it, I couldn't care less. But after awhile when the hype died down I tried it and absolutely loved it, lol.

Not sure why I was so initially turned off by it, but I was. 🤷‍♂️

Markio128

I tend not to buy games that I don’t think I will like, so not really sure how to answer this question. On the flip-side, I have bought games that appealed to me, but I ultimately didn’t enjoy, or stopped playing for some reason, most recently Hades and Deathloop.

ReBurn

Gold Member
I tend not to buy games that I don’t think I will like, so not really sure how to answer this question. On the flip-side, I have bought games that appealed to me, but I ultimately didn’t enjoy, or stopped playing for some reason, most recently Hades and Deathloop.
Same here. If I don't think I'll like it then I won't buy it.

About the closest for me was Last Battle on Genesis. I didn't buy it. I got it free by mail with the purchase of the system. There were 5 games to choose from and based on pictures it looked the least dumb. I can't say that I liked the game because it was a good game. I liked it because of the bad text translation mostly. It was entertaining enough sloughing through just to see what they would say next.

Markio128

Same here. If I don't think I'll like it then I won't buy it.

About the closest for me was Last Battle on Genesis. I didn't buy it. I got it free by mail with the purchase of the system. There were 5 games to choose from and based on pictures it looked the least dumb. I can't say that I liked the game because it was a good game. I liked it because of the bad text translation mostly. It was entertaining enough sloughing through just to see what they would say next.
I don’t know if you are old enough to remember, but back in the speccy days there used to be Mastertronic games you could buy on cassette, for £1.99 and £2.99. I used to get my paper round money and just grab a game that looked appealing to me from the front cover, so that was the only period of time where I could chance it, based on the low costs. I was rarely disappointed tbh because they were generally decent games for the price.

kunonabi

Bayonetta. I bought it on a whim purely to irritate my brother since I could get it early and he couldn't. He had been talking about it for months and I hadnt paid any attention to it. Ended up being 60$ well spent.

Topher

Gold Member
Psychonauts 2. It didn't look interesting at all, frankly. But I'm about half way through and it is a great game. Microsoft should have put more marketing behind this one.

Bloodborne - i remember the marketing and i saw a bit of gameplay but because i knew it was something like Dark Souls i had no interest in it. i thought it was too difficult and i wouldn't like it. of course it started getting good reviews and i felt like i missing out so bought it. it took a while for it to click but i fell in love with the game and all the dark souls games. it's one of my favourite games of all time and i can't wait for Elden Ring!
This is the story for 95% of Souls fans. Mine began with the original Demon's Souls, which I quit, decided it "wasn't for me", came back weeks later, platinumed it and was day one for every From game after.

I was very hesitant on Returnal too. But that game is a run-away lock for my 2021 GOTY.

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Persona 5. Wasn't too much into JRPGs and I ended up spending +100 hours on this game and later getting the Royal edition. Not only that but it also introduced me to the SMT series.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
This is the story for 95% of Souls fans. Mine began with the original Demon's Souls, which I quit, decided it "wasn't for me", came back weeks later, platinumed it and was day one for every From game after.

I keep trying Souls games with the "git gud" attitude in mind, but I'm never "gud" enough in this game. I've played other games on highest difficulty plenty of times, but somehow Souls games don't click with me. If they release a upgrade version for PS5 or PC......I might jump in again just in case I'm feeling loin humility.

gm-8c9811f5-c1b3-4f76-956d-d24be05146b4-crusader-kings-3-main.jpg

Like seriously, in all my decades of playing video games, I have never been so obsessed and poured into hundreds of hours (500 hours) into a game as this one.

Yeah, I know it's not as expansive as CK2, but idk, this game just speaks to my soul for some reason and I just love it to bits.

I hate whoever in NeoGaf that convinced me to buy this game, you assholes almost ruined my relationships with this game :messenger_crying:

I still fucking love it though so thanks

First one I remember was Dark Souls, didn't play it until 2015 right before 3 came out, that's how much annoyed by the whole community surrounding it I was. Ended up loving it and played through all FROM titles released after DS. Second one and maybe a bigger one was Hades, since I absolutely don't like the idea of a rogue like, but I ended up loving it, I only did one escape though but it was enough for me to be sated.

intbal

Batman: The TellTale Series

Seriously? A Batman dialogue-QTE game? There was no way I was going to like that.
But I love Batman and the bundle was only $5, so I picked it up.

Now I want more.
Unfortunate that TellTale Games is gone now.

Mister Wolf

The_Legend_of_Zelda_A_Link_Between_Worlds_NA_cover.jpg

I had grown weary of the Zelda but this game rekindled my love for it. Many credit BOTW as the game bringing much needed change to the formula but it really started with this game. Playing it in 3D felt like looking through a window into the world of Hyrule. It also ran at 60fps.

Last edited:
I keep trying Souls games with the "git gud" attitude in mind, but I'm never "gud" enough in this game. I've played other games on highest difficulty plenty of times, but somehow Souls games don't click with me. If they release a upgrade version for PS5 or PC......I might jump in again just in case I'm feeling loin humility.
Don't approach it the way you approach other difficult games. Souls games aren't difficult in the way most games are (with the exception of Sekiro, which I find legitimately hard still).

Souls games are more about getting used to a slow and methodical approach. It eventually clicks and you'll wonder how you used to find it so difficult.

I remember thinking I'd never get halfway through Demon's Souls. Now, I can beat it with maybe one or two deaths and those are usually from me doing something stupid like not paying attention and rolling off a cliff.

The_Legend_of_Zelda_A_Link_Between_Worlds_NA_cover.jpg

I had grown weary of the Zelda but this game rekindled my love for it. Many credit BOTW as the game bringing much needed change to the formula but it really started with this game. Playing it in 3D felt like looking through a window into the world of Hyrule. It also ran at 60fps.
I wish the DS and 3DS weren't so different and Nintendo would port these games over to Switch. I'd happily buy them again.

Binding of Issac for sure. The real beauty was I didn't even have to buy it, it was a psn freebie one month. It looked terrible, but for free I figured I'd give it a whirl.
4 billion runs later I'm STILL doing dailies. Hurry the fuck up on the Repentance console release!

Mr Hyde

This is exactly me. Bought Demon's Souls somewhere in 2010. Hated it and decided it was not for me. Picked it up a couple a years later because people couldn't shut up about it. The game clicked and now I'm a die hard fan who has put thousands of hour into the franchise and platinumed every entry.

Vaelka

'' couldn't take it seriously mostly because of 2B's sexualised appearance. ''

But people don't have a problem taking shirtless grumpy muscle men seriously lol.

'' Persona 5 - couldn't take it seriously because it was anime and waifus. i remember hating the look of the main character and thinking the whole game looks cringey. ''

Oh...
Western audiences smh.

Last edited:

Aenima

Resident Evil 7 and Yakuza 4

Resident Evil 7, i hated the idea of a 1st person RE. Bought it cheap and ended up loving it. I love the old RE tank controls in 3rd person but the 1st person version makes the game more imersive and they use some game mechanics that still make it feel like a RE.

In Yakuza 4, i hated the idea of having multiple playable/main characters. Still bought the game day one, because Yakuza. As soon as i was done with the story and seeing how good the characters are (especially Akiyama) and how they stories end up connecting, it ended up being one of my favorite games in the series.

Shut0wen

Mass effect
for me, i got given it from a friend, he bigged it up that you can go on every planet and fuck aliens and stuff, at that time i was about 13 or 12 and was more hooked to halo 3 custom games, sounded extremely shit but he insisted that i played and got hooked onto the series, never mamaged to fuck any alien on the first game though lmao

Dragon age origins
i literally finished the game and the dlc this year i played it when it came out hated tge combat but thought id give it another ago and holy shit i loved it, one of my fav rpgs, just loved the lore, characters and quests, its a real shame DA and inquisition just dont have the same soul as the first game

Xenoblade chronicles, never played it for the wii but brought it for the switch just because id heard great things about the game, thought it was going to be a kids first rpg but man was i wrong, story is amazing and its so weird that it plays like a giant single player mmo and its better then any mmo to date

Metroid the other m
Had this game brand new and wrapped for god knows how many years and decided give it ago this year, i put it off play for years and years because of tge amount of fam hate it got but i honestly couldnt disagree with the fans, sure the cutscenes script and acting are awful but i the gameplay is great, i think the gameplay could be massively improved if they ditched the fps part but it still works with it regardless

penguininthesun

Neo Member
Cyberpunk 2077. I don’t enjoy first person games in general, and heard how much this game sucks in particular. At $10 though, I decided to give it a try. Loved it. Bugs aside, it really was a great experience. I found the world and story fascinating, and the voice acting was superb. Unfortunately, the game definitely gives off a what-could-have-been vibe. They were a bit too ambitious. Hopefully the ”free next gen update” actually happens, but at the price I paid for it, I feel like I’ve already gotten my money’s worth.

zaanan

Banned
Dead Space. Not a third person guy, but sci-fi horror is my jam, so I had to get it. Thought I would have to put up with the gameplay to enjoy the story, but I’ll be damned if it wasn’t fun as hell to play. First TPS game I really liked.

I'm enjoying DmC more than I thought I would. With the bad press, devs poking fun at OG Dante, and people talking about how the game controlled worse than Devil May Cry I ended up ignoring the game. Started playing some years later and it's not bad.

Rogue games is a genre I don't play so I was surprised by how much I enjoyed Returnal.

I was very hesitant on Returnal too. But that game is a run-away lock for my 2021 GOTY.
I'm right there with Demon's Souls. I was so sure I would like the game I bought the Deluxe Edition. Not even an hour after playing I was like fuck this shit. I came back months later and finished it.

Bloodborne.

I watched the Souls' type games and just thought I'd get angry and frustrated. Turns out the games are actually pretty fair and reward patience.

Didn't take me long to get the hang of it and start enjoying myself.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
5909500_sd.jpg

I personally don't like ANY of Ubisoft's games and this good looked would be terrible idea and just thought Ubisoft just trying to make money from Mario IP.

I was sooooooo wrong, this legitimately fantastic game, there was proper passion behind it and go as far as say I enjoyed this game more Odyssey and I LOVED Odyssey.

S0ULZB0URNE

Herzog Zwei (Genesis/Megadrive)

EGM rated it terribly and I thought I wouldn't like it.
Ended being one of my all time favorites.

KsBQi9M.png

Top Bottom