• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What games do you feel people overrate too much?

WolfusFh

ITT hate popular games

But yeah , GOW 2018 is seriously overrated . Graphics is nice for sure but exploration and combat are seriously boring ass .
I do think it's overrated. The lack of enemy variety was a notable, and combat was quite nerfed compared to older titles. It also sucks that people act as if only this game had good writing, and the others were garbage power fantasies and Kratos was one dimensional. It was a Greek tragedy and was well written.

WolfusFh

Fromsoft games are good but not to the point that every other game becomes trash when one comes out.
Also not to the point that every other game becomes "from software-like" either. The amount of games being called "souls like" that actually just implemented things that always existed and we're always popular is just insufferable.

Dr Bass

Lately?

Horizon Forbidden West. One of the most visually stunning games to currently exist, for so many reasons, and yet a total chore to get through IMO. They just miss the mark on so many core features I am glad the game is behind me. Aloy is not well written, the story is all over the place, and doesn't even follow through on some of it's setup. The combat is less fun than part 1, partly because of the complexity of the setup, and the battles with the bigger machines often just feel extremely cheap to me. You can get into situations where it feels like you don't even have a chance. You know how there are runs of super hard games like the Dark Souls games where people can finish them without getting hit because you can just absolutely master the game? I feel like that would be impossible on this one. And that to me says the battle system, is not really designed around skill. I mean, maybe if you could fight with all ranged weapons, but even then some of those machines close the distance fast. Anyway. Hopefully part 3 doesn't suck me in with it's visuals. I have no interest in finishing this series anymore. Game is a 6, maybe a 7 on a good day.

Halo Infinite is also a 6 out of 10 at best. The nicest thing I can say about it is that it looks very sharp and runs smoothly. The gameplay itself is a steaming pile. I don't think the open map or grappling hook added any value whatsoever. To fight, just run around and melee everything until you take a bit of damage. Hide for a few seconds and shoot from a distance. Run back out melee everything etc etc. This works on everything except bosses. But you could do this on all the old Halos so absolutely nothing has changed and it takes no strategy. Then you have the writing, where "The Weapon" is "glibly fascinated." All of her lines basically consist of her asking in near wonder "Whoa ... what is all of this?" immediately followed by stating, in a valley girl like tone, "Oh look, more banished here to kill you!" You top that off with Chief's increasingly terse responses that are meant to be "tough" but just make him sound mentally challenged. The Weapon asks "whoa, what were those?!" (new enemies) .. he responds "New ... Dangerous." Just ... come on. It's completely insufferable, and comes across like it was written by children. There is nothing cool, nothing "bad ass", and nothing interesting about Chief, Halo, or any of it. The series has run it's course. I mean it goes way beyond even what I am writing here but I think the point is made. Halo Infinite is just a bad game.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
TLOU2

what a fucking piece of woke bullshit. it was one of my most hyped games of all time cause i fucking loved the first game and even the dlc. still kicking myself for falling for it and buying it blindly.

i can't take anyone seriously who thinks that game is any good.

In my mind its Witcher 3 and RDR2
i enjoyed both but they are definitely flawed. i almost gave up on Witcher 3 because it was a fucking mess at a certain point. RDR2 was not terrible but after a while i got real bored of it and rushed to finish it. definitely not worth the praise they got.

Hideo Kojima: The Thread.
A Hideo Kojima Video Game: The Thread (Director's Cut) by Hideo Kojima

That guy is stuck so far up his own arse. MGS + DS are some of the most boring tedious games I've had the misfortune to play.

Last edited:

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
I can't agree with Uncharted, MGSV and Nier Automata.

Uncharted is an amazing franchise, but of course 2 is the highest peak and 3 is the lowest.

MGSV is a gameplay masterpiece. It's the standard every game should be obligated to follow. To this date, the gameplay hasn't been matched. The story sucked (mostly because it was left incomplete).

Nier Automata is an instant classic, but also more of a niche game even though it sold millions. It might not be for everyone, but it's a joy to play and the story is amazing (the messaging mostly)

FROM Software games, I imagine you mean Souls series. They are good, but people do overrate them because of its difficulty, but I agree that the gameplay is not that great. The difficulty is practically what we used to have on NES and SNES games. To me, the only thing that prevents me from playing them is the inability to pause. That's just BS!

Final Fantasy depends on the game. Some are great some are bad, but it's also ver divisive. I for one, consider XIII great, but many people don't. So that's up to each person.

The question in the OT was what games do I feel are overrated. Those games are games with high scores, lots of hype and fans constantly singing their praises. I genuinely dislike them, so I feel those games are overrated. I don't agree with your opinion on those games.

You may have different games YOU feel are overrated, possibly even games I like and that's fine too.

Cutty Flam

Banned
Super Mario Odyssey and Super Mario Galaxy 2 are both overrated. Odyssey I’ll rate at like an 8.4 and Galaxy 2 I’ll rate at like 7.5

Woggleman

Also not to the point that every other game becomes "from software-like" either. The amount of games being called "souls like" that actually just implemented things that always existed and we're always popular is just insufferable.
BOTW as well. It is not the first game to have a glider.

Astral Dog

Super Mario Odyssey and Super Mario Galaxy 2 are both overrated. Odyssey I’ll rate at like an 8.4 and Galaxy 2 I’ll rate at like 7.5
You had me with Odyssey but Galaxy 2 was a masterpiece, it took out the clumsy filler in Galaxy 1 ramped up the challenge and had prettier art and Yoshi. Galaxy 1 just felt fresher at the time but its not actually better. Odyssey its my second least favorite 3D Mario(after 3D Land) though they all awesome

damn Mario Galaxy 2's design was simply excellent 🤤 next to Odyssey makes that look like a game about collecting trash

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Souls games in a 5 year span went from low key to the Michael Jordan of video games.

Guilty_AI

Loads of them:
-The Witcher 3 -> Extremely shitty rpg (can it even be called one?) with shitty mechanics and game design. It never deserved the rockstar status it got.
-God of War -> I still don't get why this game receives so much praise. It was dull in almost every aspect. Dull story, dull combat, dull characters, it doesn't really do anything that would make it stand out from similar games. Its not a bad game, but it isn't a GOTY much less a GOAT.
-RDR2 -> I can sort of understand why this one gets so much praise (the sky high level of production, details and easter eggs, as well as a truly interesting story with interesting characters). Still, this has one of the worst mission designs i've seen in a major release that wasn't a total flop, and i feel this really shouldn't be overlooked.
-R&C: Rift Apart -> This is more on the technical side of things. People overrated it based on the portals and shit, "truly next gen level design" "power of the SSD" "yada yada", except the way the portals are designed makes it 100% possible to develop the game around slow storage anyway. Not saying it doesn't use SSDs to its advantage, just saying it didn't have to.

Last edited:

Katajx

Gold Member
Almost anything Sony first party. I buy them, but they almost never interest me enough to finish them.

I think I have only made it through the Last of Us, God of War, and Ghost of Tsushima.

Last edited:

twerkouting

Banned
Overrated has to be the most overrated term ever, basically it is basically putting your opinion on a pedestal as if some how superior.
Anyone giving a serious answer in to thread. Well you're this kid
stop_liking_file.jpg
Overrated: "Rated or Valued too Highly"

I've yet to see anybody use this term with regards to games correctly because they're games; it's all subjective and if a lot of people like something then they like it. Full stop.

You're inability to enjoy something doesn't have to be a hobby too, kids.

Danknugz

just about any VR game except the 4 or 5 good ones (alex, onward, pavlov, assetto, and probably another one and no it is definitely not beat sabre, which makes me cringe into a black hole)

Last edited:
Loads of them:
-The Witcher 3 -> Extremely shitty rpg (can it even be called one?) with shitty mechanics and game design. It never deserved the rockstar status it got.
-God of War -> I still don't get why this game receives so much praise. It was dull in almost every aspect. Dull story, dull combat, dull characters, it doesn't really do anything that would make it stand out from similar games. Its not a bad game, but it isn't a GOTY much less a GOAT.
-RDR2 -> I can sort of understand why this one gets so much praise (the sky high level of production, details and easter eggs, as well as a truly interesting story with interesting characters). Still, this has one of the worst mission designs i've seen in a major release that wasn't a total flop, and i feel this really shouldn't be overlooked.
-R&C: Rift Apart -> This is more on the technical side of things. People overrated it based on the portals and shit, "truly next gen level design" "power of the SSD" "yada yada", except the way the portals are designed makes it 100% possible to develop the game around slow storage anyway. Not saying it doesn't use SSDs to its advantage, just saying it didn't have to.

Everything you spat here is true, except your take on Witcher 3

Guilty_AI

Everything you spat here is true, except your take on Witcher 3
I mean i can list the nonsensical mechanics i noticed if you want:
-Side-step is extremely, extremely op
-Oil mechanics make no sense. Whats the point of having the oil on your sword deplete when the oils are infinite and can be insta-applied from an inventory that pauses the game? Not to mention the extra damage they give feel useless.
-Levels. God the levels. Imaging having random forest ghouls stronger than higher vampires.
-Item rarity. You find legendary items scattered around like bananas, and the majority of them isn't even that good or useful.
-On that note, crafting is useless because of the shitton amount of loot you get. Theres 0 reason to go to the trouble of crafting stuff.
-Fuck cat potion.
-Choices and consequences are fairly minimal or only local (ironically something some people complain about Cyberpunk despite the same people also praising The Witcher 3)
-*Insert witcher sense joke*
-Quest design is dumb, at the very least nowhere near as good as other rpgs.
-Combat revolves around one thing and one thing only. Having up to par level and gear. Despite the dozens upon dozens of potions and making all that noise about tactics to defeat monsters and such, thats really the only thing that matters.
-Gourmet perk is extremely broken. On that note, even without it you'll hardly run out of food to regain health. Also on that note, being able to insta use these items from a paused menu makes them very broken.

And before you ask, yes, i beat this on the highest difficulty.

Last edited:
I mean i can list the nonsensical mechanics i noticed if you want:
-Side-step is extremely, extremely op
-Oil mechanics make no sense. Whats the point of having the oil on your sword deplete when the oils are infinite and can be insta-applied from an inventory that pauses the game? Not to mention the extra damage they give feel useless.
-Levels. God the levels. Imaging having random forest ghouls stronger than higher vampires.
-Item rarity. You find legendary items scattered around like bananas, and the majority of them isn't even that good or useful.
-On that note, crafting is useless because of the shitton amount of loot you get. Theres 0 reason to go to the trouble of crafting stuff.
-Fuck cat potion.
-Choices and consequences are fairly minimal or only local (ironically something some people complain about Cyberpunk despite the same people also praising The Witcher 3)
-*Insert witcher sense joke*
-Quest design is dumb, at the very least nowhere near as good as other rpgs.
-Combat revolves around one thing and one thing only. Having up to par level and gear. Despite the dozens upon dozens of potions and making all that noise about tactics to defeat monsters and such, thats really the only thing that matter.
-Gourmet perk is extremely broken. On that note, even without it you'll hardly run out of food to regain health. Also on that note, being able to insta use these items from a paused menu makes them very broken.

And before you ask, yes, i beat this on the highest difficulty.

Haha ok. This seems like a lot of nit picking rather than horrible design flaws. I also liked the crafting in the game, felt fine to me

'Combat revolves around one thing and one thing only. Having up to par level and gear. Despite the dozens upon dozens of potions and making all that noise about tactics to defeat monsters and such, thats really the only thing that matter.'

Yeah, that's kind of a thing about RPGs

What RPG has your standard of quest design might I ask?

The game is definitely more than the sum of it's parts. The masterful writing and enchanting soundtrack are what pushes this far above and beyond most other comparable games. 2 of the main reasons I hate BOTW. Non existent narrative structure and soundtrack.

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

'Combat revolves around one thing and one thing only. Having up to par level and gear. Despite the dozens upon dozens of potions and making all that noise about tactics to defeat monsters and such, thats really the only thing that matter.'

Yeah, that's kind of a thing about RPGs
It isn't. I played a lot of DOS2, and now elden ring, and for those just leveling up and getting better gear will not you make go through the game.

What RPG has your standard of quest design might I ask?
Ironically, Cyberpunk 2077 did a pretty good job of it. Thats definitely one aspect CDPR improved on, though i guess they were mostly following Deus Ex mission design philosophy (which is also pretty good).

Last edited:
It isn't. I played a lot of DOS2, and now elden ring, and for those just leveling up and getting better gear will not you make go through the game.

Ironically, Cyberpunk 2077 did a pretty good job of it. Thats definitely one aspect CDPR improved on, though i guess they were mostly following Deus Ex mission design philosophy (which is also pretty good).

So you can imagine how GOAT Witcher 4 is gonna be

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Souls fans walk around with false confidence and are proud they beat a hard game that’s not how gaming works being proud is a good outcome but the fact is you aren’t an expert because you played one souls game.

cortadew

Outward honestly. The game gets usually praised because it was made by a small team but is really unbalanced, the survival mechanics are too tedious (waaay more than rdr2) and has low performance in split screen even in high end hardware.

Any game that takes a long time to beat normally.
Games that try to extend game time for the sake of length is really grating to me.
This is ESPECIALLY TRUE if the pacing is slow or just trying to win Jello pacing of the year award.

Elden Ring.. While I DO like it, I can't play for long periods, mostly because it makes me sleepy.
It drags along.
I loved Bloodborne's pacing so much more.
This is the only right answer. Fuck every game with bullshit filler. Who has time to play it? I would love to play some games if they weren't so long. Especially some open world games like Assassin's Creed or Horizon. Just give me 10-20 hours of solid gameplay and the rest of the no-life gaming community can search for some bullshit treasures for 100 hours, making the game longer. I don't care. I love gaming, but holy shit, I'm not 12 years old anymore.

Cutty Flam

Banned
You had me with Odyssey but Galaxy 2 was a masterpiece, it took out the clumsy filler in Galaxy 1 ramped up the challenge and had prettier art and Yoshi. Galaxy 1 just felt fresher at the time but its not actually better. Odyssey its my second least favorite 3D Mario(after 3D Land) though they all awesome

damn Mario Galaxy 2's design was simply excellent 🤤 next to Odyssey makes that look like a game about collecting trash
I was bored out of my mind with Super Mario Galaxy 2. The difficulty level was so low that the entire experience felt vapid to me, star for star almost. It’s nowhere near close to being a masterpiece

I collected 80 stars to 110 stars iirc and kept waiting for the time in which the game would “pick up” in some way or form. It never provided the stimuli I’d expect from a true 10/10 like virtually everyone was saying it was. In fact, I don’t think there was a single star that felt like a complete adventure or mission of its own like the majority of Super Mario 64 or Super Mario Sunshine was able to do for each respective star / shine sprite. Super Mario Galaxy 2 may have been superb if not nearly perfect from a technical standpoint, but it was devoid of any true fun factor in the game imo. Can’t recall a single I was impressed. I recall only one fond memory of the level where Mario is a bee. The kind of thinking in the way of, “this is kind of nice but still, it was so simple and plain, bland”

That’s what SMG2 is. Bland. You would think that it’s the most fun games you can possibly play based off the looks of it but it’s really not all that great. In fact, it’s average

On the whole, the game lacks heart and any real semblance of cohesion. It felt like task after task, nothing whole but instead it was essentially many unexciting tasks. Truly believe it’s the 3D Mario platforming game with the least amount of heart. I actually want to play it again to see if there’s a chance I’m completely wrong somehow because it seems surreal in a way but I 100% felt like it was average at best

Astral Dog

I was bored out of my mind with Super Mario Galaxy 2. The difficulty level was so low that the entire experience felt vapid to me, star for star almost. It’s nowhere near close to being a masterpiece

I collected 80 stars to 110 stars iirc and kept waiting for the time in which the game would “pick up” in some way or form. It never provided the stimuli I’d expect from a true 10/10 like virtually everyone was saying it was. In fact, I don’t think there was a single star that felt like a complete adventure or mission of its own like the majority of Super Mario 64 or Super Mario Sunshine was able to do for each respective star / shine sprite. Super Mario Galaxy 2 may have been superb if not nearly perfect from a technical standpoint, but it was devoid of any true fun factor in the game imo. Can’t recall a single I was impressed. I recall only one fond memory of the level where Mario is a bee. The kind of thinking in the way of, “this is kind of nice but still, it was so simple and plain, bland”

That’s what SMG2 is. Bland. You would think that it’s the most fun games you can possibly play based off the looks of it but it’s really not all that great. In fact, it’s average

On the whole, the game lacks heart and any real semblance of cohesion. It felt like task after task, nothing whole but instead it was essentially many unexciting tasks. Truly believe it’s the 3D Mario platforming game with the least amount of heart. I actually want to play it again to see if there’s a chance I’m completely wrong somehow because it seems surreal in a way but I 100% felt like it was average at best
I disagree i think Galaxy 2 has a ton of heart and superb design!at the time it was the first 3d Mario that felt closer to playing the 2D series , but it worked well. appreciate the detailed answer regardless. Wish i could replay Galaxy 2 but the Mario collection only had 1 for some dumb reason 😒

From Software games. They dont overrate how good the games are. I think they are good, maybe even great. But they overrate their importance and their innovation.
i think everyone is beyond sick of ppl coming into every game reveal or review thread and mentioning how "such and such is like a souls games" When everything souls games do existed before the series was ever conceived.

again im waiting for someone to explain to me why Last of Us is a good game. And not a mediocre zombie game with high production, good art direction and voice acting. Its a SyFy movie of the week with bad gameplay wrapped in a really pretty package. But most importantly it has that Naughty Dog logo and "PS exclusive" on the box...which inflated the score in everyones minds. Meanwhile State of Decay was a much better zombie game that released the same week. And playing both at the time, i had way more fun with that budget indie game pos than Last of Us.

A lot of you need to play some AA jank if you think the games listed are overated.
That said, Ghost of tsushima is wayy overated when comparing sword combat to something like " here comes the Fromsoft praise" Sekiro. Also the open world is very ubisoft without the big ass cities you can walk around ( Athens and Sparta was marvelous).

SMG2 Lacks a the atmosphere and story that made 1 great (though not as great as SM64). It's a good game but feels more like DLC they couldn't add because the Wii wasn't capable so they sold it as it's own game.
TLOU2

what a fucking piece of woke bullshit. it was one of my most hyped games of all time cause i fucking loved the first game and even the dlc. still kicking myself for falling for it and buying it blindly.

i can't take anyone seriously who thinks that game is any good.
That game was universally hated and It was very controversial when it came out.

Last edited:

95mellow

I'm gonna say Final Fantasy XIV, particularly the story.

The highs sure are high, but man, the narrative has a lot of filler.

Mozza

No point to this thread at all, as it's all peoples own personal subjective opinions to what is overrated, and a lot of the time it's just people getting wound up about games they do not personally like that receive great reviews and are popular.

The Op clearly knows his audience on here though. ;)

Last edited:

Fitzchiv

Overrated has to be the most overrated term ever, basically it is basically putting your opinion on a pedestal as if some how superior.
Anyone giving a serious answer in to thread. Well you're this kid
stop_liking_file.jpg
Ok so now we've been instructed how to think and participate in this thread, I will reframe the question as: what game do other people seem to love that you just don't?

And my answer would still be NieR:Automata and if you don't like that then your mum's a slag and I'll fight you over it.

Top Bottom