• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What games have you struggled to get into?

Hostile_18

Banned
At the moment its Valhalla for me. Loved Odyssey but this just isn't clicking. The story doesn't seem as good and it kind of feels unfinished. I got a glitch in the first room (a floating pig), weird animation of the children as if someone was attacking them inside the room when there was a battle outside, and the first mini village had no civilians just a few enemies at the gates and in the main hut, the rest of the village seemed deserted but there was no context for why it was like that or what was going on. The combat was also far too zoomed out even on my massive tv. Then it dumped me back into what is presumably my home town and tried to show me how to play a complicated dice game or go see a character that looked to be climbing up a cliff face (akwardly). Plus my main character sounds like she smokes 100 fags a day and every customisation option at the start made her look worse. This is a far cry (no pun intended) from Cassandra and how Odyssey started.

Normally I'd say life is too short after two and a half hours move on to something else but theres the high cost of games now and also there have been other games in the past such as Fallout 3, Sekiro and Red Dead 2 where they have only clicked after hours of commitment (more than you should have to do but ultimately worth it).

So yeah what games have you really struggled to get into, giving them more time than perhaps you should and how did that work out in the end? Worth the effort or a waste of time that didn't change your opinion on the game?

crozier

World of Warcraft. I've started/stopped playing numerous times, each time ending with me bored. I can't even be bothered to try the latest expansion (although I am giving FFXIV a go).

ManaByte

Gold Member
Sea of Thieves. Tried to get into it since beta. Never clicked.

But a few weeks ago I tried again and killed a pirate skeleton captain randomly and found its skull. Then I discovered you could hunt those for fortune and glory, and it opened up the game to me. I’m now addicted.

Hostile_18

Banned
The Last of Us.

I've attempted to play it thorugh countless times because of the love it gets, but I just get bored. I fee like I'm missing out on some secret or something.

My friend is like that. I think it's one of the greatest games of all time and because of that he's tried to play it twice and failed each time. Third time will be the charm! 😂

j0hnnix

Gold Member
Black Desert. I really enjoy it but wholly crap the amount of grind and the managing of those pvp whales would always make me lose interest.

Dragon Quest XI. I tried it and thought I would like it but it definitely bored me.

Same with Tales of Vesperia.

I really wanted to like the last two.

Last edited:

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
Just about every Rockstar game except for L.A. Noire.
lol and that wasn't even developed by Rockstar. was a studio called Team Bondi

Sony was originally meant to publish it but they sold it to Rockstar who helped Team Bondi develop and then publish it.

Last edited:

Brute

Witcher 3. Combat is so bad and overall I don't like slavic mythology so I found it utter borefest. And fuck me the map is just waaayyy too large imo.
Yeah the Witcher 3 is such an overhyped game IMO. The combat and general feeling of controlling Gerald is utter shit. He floats around like he’s the lightest man to ever walk the earth.

Huge world which is boring as fuck to explore.

droid_orat

Neo Member
Hearts of Iron 4. Oh and Crusader King... and Europe Universalis. But all of them are still siting on my desktop. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Last edited:

Excess

I don't like slavic mythology so I found it utter borefest.
I think you identified why I cannot get into some games.

OP was talking about Valhalla, and while I agreed with him, especially within contrast of Odyssey see, I was shocked to see he felt the same way about RDR2, a game I 100%'d and wasted three months of my life playing.

So I think for me, a game like Odyssey had me hooked because I enjoy classical antiquity. And for a game like RDR2, I absolutely love Western films and history. It's not the be-all and end-all for me, but it can a huge part in why I may like a game. Obviously, a game can be interesting outside of lore and world-building.

Fbh

Monster Hunter.
Got 3 ultimate on 3DS, then got it for WiiU too thinking that maybe the better controls and performance would help.

Love the look and I think the combat system is pretty fun, but the grind is just too much for me. It feels like every single aspect of that game was designed to be as slow, time consuming and grindy as possible.

JCK75

I loved a few of the final fantasy games I had played on NES but I've tried so hard to get into newer ones and just about everything from the characters to the plot just turns me off so much I can't.

Hostile_18

Banned
I think you identified why I cannot get into some games.

OP was talking about Valhalla, and while I agreed with him, especially within contrast of Odyssey see, I was shocked to see he felt the same way about RDR2, a game I 100%'d and wasted three months of my life playing.

So I think for me, a game like Odyssey had me hooked because I enjoy classical antiquity. And for a game like RDR2, I absolutely love Western films and history. It's not the be-all and end-all for me, but it can a huge part in why I may like a game. Obviously, a game can be interesting outside of lore and world-building.

I think with RDR2 it was less so the theme/content and more so the mechanics that took a while to get into. Plus your introduced to quite a large cast quickly. Once I got use to both those elements i enjoyed the game a lot, all the way to the end 😊.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
I struggle to get into almost all narrative-driven games nowadays. I still play a few gems and truly enjoy my time, don't get me wrong. Some big ones that come to mind:

- Witcher 3
- Spider Man (Ps4)
- Horizon Zero Dawn
- RDR2

Topher

Gold Member
lol and that wasn't even developed by Rockstar. was a studio called Team Bondi

Sony was originally meant to publish it but they sold it to Rockstar who helped Team Bondi develop and then publish it.

200.gif

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Just tried that FTP Kards WWI themed game.

- Cool art
- Easy to play
- Froze doing the tutorial
- Grind fest (understandable for a F2P game)
- Easy AI. Played about 10 games vs the AI. Only lost 1
- Boring as hell

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
i do agree the controls of Geralt in Witcher 3 were awful. the combat isn't the greatest but if you look at the combat of Witcher 1 and 2 then Witcher 3 is a big improvement in comparison. Witcher 1 combat is trash and totally different from 2 + 3. Witcher 2 is kinda similar to what we got in Witcher 3 but feels way more rough. So if you just look at the Witcher games on their own CDPR really did improve their combat with each game. I'd go as far as to say they even continued this with Cyberpunk. Katana + Guns feel good. Sure guns don't feel as good as a proper FPS but they're good and really not bad for their first game with guns. There are other things wrong with the game but IMO combat is not one of them.

Uncharted 4. No matter how many times I tried to get into I just couldn't. Almost every level played out the same way and the game was way to scripted for me. I could give less of a fuck about the characters (banter during missions was also cringe) and the story but maybe thats because I didn't play the last three games.

Hestar69

At the moment its Valhalla for me. Loved Odyssey but this just isn't clicking.

i got odyssey for 15 and never played it till last week. The games really good, but damn,I can't get into it atm. I started immortals and I'm having so much more fun. I know I'll like odyssey when I'm in the right mood but for some reason I can't get into it right now.

The messenger is another one.. I just beat cyber shadow and people said this games better..but I just can't get into it and actually like cyber better.

Definitely Assassin's Creed Valhalla. I'm 50 hours in, but it's been a chore almost the entire time. My OCD won't let me enjoy the next thing when I haven't completed my current game.

It isn't even a horrible game. It's just a chore, especially after already spending 100+ hours platinuming Origins and Odyssey.

Part of me is hoping for a game-breaking bug that would force me to stop.

reforen

- Thief (2014), it wasn't the immersive sim I was expecting
- The Witcher 3 ,I couldn't connect with the combat system
- el Shaddai, I couldn't find a way to upgrade the abilities and it felt like a generic platformer
- Alan Wake, the game wasn't scary and it tell you when a enemy will attack and point the camera in that direction

Hostile_18

Banned
Definitely Assassin's Creed Valhalla. I'm 50 hours in, but it's been a chore almost the entire time. My OCD won't let me enjoy the next thing when I haven't completed my current game.

It isn't even a horrible game. It's just a chore, especially after already spending 100+ hours platinuming Origins and Odyssey.

Part of me is hoping for a game-breaking bug that would force me to stop.

Might be a great way to combat the OCD by walking away from it. Life is too short for that much time on something your not enjoying. The way I look at it is some games you get amazing value for money and others you don't but in the end it all averages out, so try not to worry over it.

Gandih42

Haven't got any examples recently, but probably the biggest one for me was Demon's Souls back in the day. Heard about it online and had my dad bring overseas from the US because it wasn't out in Europe yet.

After many struggles I got to tower knight and was completely stuck. Just the size of him completely intimidated me from fighting him. Tried the other Archstones and also got stuck. Upgrading my items was also a complete mystery to me.

Didn't play it for a few weeks, then came back to it and now the Souls games are some of my all time favorites.

... Normally I'd say life is too short after two and a half hours move on to something else but theres the high cost of games now ...

Is this a common sentiment? In my experience games are cheaper than ever. As long as I'm not buying brand new games or Nintendo games, I can scarcely remember having to pay more than 50% of a games price. Often even less. There's almost always a sale somewhere, be it physical or digital. But maybe that's just me being behind the curve all the time 😂

Last edited:

Mozzarella

Persona 5
I have slept few times at the starting sections because i wasnt interested enough in the story and the gameplay, the game had a lot of pointless dialogue with nothing interesting to say, the dungeons were a slog as well.
Eventually i got into the game and i enjoyed it but i dont consider it to be excellent game, its just decent.

The premise starts interesting but as soon as you get to the slice of life school parts it becomes very boring, you have to talk to these new kids at your class and none of them is interesting, there is too much pressing X to read dialogue that it made me yawn so much, i like dialogue games but only when they have interesting things to say and not generic anime stereotypes, after that the first dungeon was a cool change in that you get to actually play the game but then after few battles the respawn mechanic and the shallow combat becomes a slog and makes the dungeon boring until the final boss, they the villains gets character re-write and you are back again to boring high school life. By the end i got used to it and started to enjoy the game, thanks to its art style and music, i think at dungeon 4 it became somewhat enjoyable then after dungeon 6 i started to enjoy and like what is happening, up until the end. overall i like the game but not as much as people like it and consider it goty material. I was glad its over and i dont think i will ever replay that game, it was a struggle to get into it but at least i ended up enjoying it.

Last edited:

TheContact

a lot of them. i'm really picky =\ and i really only play two games (overwatch/wow)
i did beat parasite eve for the first time recently though
and i installed Tyranny from EGS. I'm enjoying it a lot!

Hostile_18

Banned
Haven't got any examples recently, but probably the biggest one for me was Demon's Souls back in the day. Heard about it online and had my dad bring overseas from the US because it wasn't out in Europe yet.

After many struggles I got to tower knight and was completely stuck. Just the size of him completely intimidated me from fighting him. Tried the other Archstones and also got stuck. Upgrading my items was also a complete mystery to me.

Didn't play it for a few weeks, then came back to it and now the Souls games are some of my all time favorites.

Is this a common sentiment? In my experience games are cheaper than ever. As long as I'm not buying brand new games or Nintendo games, I can scarcely remember having to pay more than 50% of a games price. Often even less. There's almost always a sale somewhere, be it physical or digital. But maybe that's just me being behind the curve all the time 😂

I should of waited for a sale on it to be honest but the next gen launch excitement got to me haha.

Concern

Civilization 6. I love strategy games but its been awhile since I played one. It was just so much shit to learn and I wanted to get straight into it. Eventually I gave up on it.

Tlou2 Already lost interest when I saw Ellie was the main character. Saw spoilers and didn't like em either. Decided I'll still give it a shot. But once I got to Seattle it really became chore to play and I stopped giving it chances.

missiles

Ace Combat 7. Snagged it off Gamepass and remember really enjoying this series in the past, but something about this just isn't connecting for me. Maybe if the structure was more arcadey and less story based it would feel more immediate and you'd spend less time listening to all the radio chatter and story guff. Dunno. It all feels a bit bloated and not direct enough.

PooBone

Horizon: Zero Dawn.
The story was a contrived "first civiilization" story and the environments felt like a series of bowls with smooth edges and nothing of interest to explore within.

Mozzarella

Theres games i struggled to get into but then i get into them and i had a good time after i managed to: e.g Persona 5, Horizon Zero Dawn
Then theres games i struggled to get into and eventually dropped them and never looked back: e.g Dragon's Dogma, Borderlands 2

dave_d

Ninja Gaiden on the Xbox. Played the first level which was more difficult than I expected. Then man, the first boss which I did manage to beat after a retry or two but he was definitely way more challenging that I expected for a first level boss. Pretty much figured if the first level and boss were already that much of a challenge I can't imagine what the rest of the game was like.(Figured it was going to get way harder) I think a year or 2 later I found out it actually doesn't get that much harder and the first boss is pretty much the toughest in the game and I should have just kept playing. (I really should go back to it or actually NGB which is what I have now.)

.Pennywise

Banned
Dark Souls.

What a mess of game design that piece of shit is. Just tried it because all the fuzz around it and I fell asleep 3 hours in.

"HURR DURR GIT GUD NO HAND HOLDING KID"
Funnily enough, this people that praises the awful combat design of these games is the same that cannot get a rank A combo in games like DMC or Bayonetta.

Poordevil

Metal Gear Solid 3. At first I could not get into the game at all. Thought it was clumsy navigating through the UI, opening and closing a bunch of windows for all these different tasks. I just want to crawl through this jungle and kill stuff! Then before giving up on it I had this idea. Try playing the game the way it was designed by the devs to be played instead of the way I think it should be played. The reason I gave the game this chance was because I could see it was a quality game. So that is what I did. Man did it pay off! Genius of game design, with the best series of bosses and boss fights of any game I ever played.

Self

Funnily enough, this people that praises the awful combat design of these games is the same that cannot get a rank A combo in games like DMC or Bayonetta

I do praise the genius combat design of souls games a lot, while having no problems in achieving A ranks in Bayonettas more chaotic, but fast and refreshing combat design. DMC is slowly getting lame though.

Giles

Horizon zero dawn. I picked the complete edition up super cheap to play on the ps5 but having played every other game at 60fps HZD is an eye sore and completely unplayable for me. The opening of the game from a world design and story perspective didn’t exactly excite me either but if it receives a patch like GoT, GoW etc then I’d consider revisiting it.

Khyle

Neo Member
Thief 2014 - tried to give it a chance, the setting was okay but it felt bland and repetitive
Far Cry 3 - not my thing, might give it another chance
Dragon Age II - started it many times because I loved DAO, but I never finished this one, dropping it always at Act II, I haven't touched it in 8 years but I might give it a last chance
Zelda OoT 3D - I'm sure it's an absolute classic for a reason but I wasn't enjoying the camera control system on my 2DS XL so I just couldn't bother anymore after a few hours
Oblivion and Skyrim - Tried both a few times back in the day but I don't enjoy the 1st person view for this kind of games and 3rd person looked quite bad. I might try Skyrim again... someday.

On the good side: it took me several tries to get into games like RE1 Remake (cause I was scared lol), Fallout 3 (performance issues on my PC for some reason) or even the original FF7 (old as f**k), but once I got over my issues with them, I absolutely fell in love and dumped dozens of hours into playing them.

Last edited:
I just finished it yesterday, but Super Mario Odyssey took me forever to finish. I enjoyed it when I played it. But I wasn't really driven to play it to completion. It was good for little moments of gameplay, but absolutely wasn't a priority for me.

Might be a great way to combat the OCD by walking away from it. Life is too short for that much time on something your not enjoying. The way I look at it is some games you get amazing value for money and others you don't but in the end it all averages out, so try not to worry over it.
It's not about money or anything. I just feel compelled to complete most games. I'll make exceptions if I really dislike a game.

I don’t hate the game, I'm just not that into it. But, I don't really have the urge to play anything else either. I'll stop and take a break on Friday and move to 3D World, then likely come back to Valhalla.

I keep giving highly praised open world games a try, and they just don't rope me in. One day I'll learn and stop spending money... maybe.

Catphish

Crusader Kings 3. It looks awesome, and like something that would be right up my alley, but goddamned if it isn't so fucking complicated.

I played the tutorial, and even watched a couple of videos, but when I sit down and start a new game, I'm instantly overwhelmed at the amount of information and a distinct lack of ability to decipher it. I just don't know where to begin, or how to make sense of its systems.

If anyone could offer some advice, I'd really appreciate it, because I feel like I would love this game to death, if only i understood it. :(

Last edited:
Top Bottom