• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What games have you struggled to get into?

Hestar69

Persona 5
I have slept few times at the starting sections because i wasnt interested enough in the story and the gameplay, the game had a lot of pointless dialogue with nothing interesting to say, the dungeons were a slog as well.
Eventually i got into the game and i enjoyed it but i dont consider it to be excellent game, its just decent.

The premise starts interesting but as soon as you get to the slice of life school parts it becomes very boring, you have to talk to these new kids at your class and none of them is interesting, there is too much pressing X to read dialogue that it made me yawn so much, i like dialogue games but only when they have interesting things to say and not generic anime stereotypes, after that the first dungeon was a cool change in that you get to actually play the game but then after few battles the respawn mechanic and the shallow combat becomes a slog and makes the dungeon boring until the final boss, they the villains gets character re-write and you are back again to boring high school life. By the end i got used to it and started to enjoy the game, thanks to its art style and music, i think at dungeon 4 it became somewhat enjoyable then after dungeon 6 i started to enjoy and like what is happening, up until the end. overall i like the game but not as much as people like it and consider it goty material. I was glad its over and i dont think i will ever replay that game, it was a struggle to get into it but at least i ended up enjoying it.
I feel you.. I tried to get into base persona 5 three times and just couldnt. Friend told me to get royal and at first still didnt like it and ended up loving it. I can't wait for strikers now!

Fallout 3. I always looked at it and coudn't see anything good. Graphics weren't great, the gameplay videos looked boring and clunky. I've tried to play but stopped before the end of the tutorial.

One day, some years later, I had nothing to play, had just finished Oblivion with mods, and read a news about some mods for the FO3. Installed the game, put some mods (graphical ones mostly) and played until the end of the tutorial. I was impressed and I'm a series fan since then... I didn't know until then that the game was that good. So many years ignoring this masterpiece because "hurr graphiczzzz suuuxx" and now it's one of my most beloved games The result? I fell in love with New Vegas the moment I put my eyes on it.

S

Sidney Prescott

Unconfirmed Member
The Witcher 3.

Beautiful game, good dialogue, interesting world & characters. The only thing that goes against is the genre is it in. It just doesn't appeal to me as a player, and it is very hard for a game like that to win me over or get me invested.

Gandih42

I should of waited for a sale on it to be honest but the next gen launch excitement got to me haha.

Haha dude, I just wish I could've gotten a next gen console. I would have totally gotten all the games at full price.

In that context, I can definitely see what you mean about it being expensive!

S

Sidney Prescott

Unconfirmed Member
Fallout 4 is another one.

I loved Fallout 3 and New Vegas, but for some reason I just couldn't get grabbed by 4. I was super excited for it, but it lost me mid-way through. I guess I just expected more. Solid game, but could have been so much more.

Platformers and anything Soulsborne like. Those games are too stressful for me to enjoy due to their High risk/High """reward""" gameplay style.

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
At the moment its Valhalla for me. Loved Odyssey but this just isn't clicking. The story doesn't seem as good and it kind of feels unfinished. I got a glitch in the first room (a floating pig), weird animation of the children as if someone was attacking them inside the room when there was a battle outside, and the first mini village had no civilians just a few enemies at the gates and in the main hut, the rest of the village seemed deserted but there was no context for why it was like that or what was going on. The combat was also far too zoomed out even on my massive tv. Then it dumped me back into what is presumably my home town and tried to show me how to play a complicated dice game or go see a character that looked to be climbing up a cliff face (akwardly). Plus my main character sounds like she smokes 100 fags a day and every customisation option at the start made her look worse. This is a far cry (no pun intended) from Cassandra and how Odyssey started.

Normally I'd say life is too short after two and a half hours move on to something else but theres the high cost of games now and also there have been other games in the past such as Fallout 3, Sekiro and Red Dead 2 where they have only clicked after hours of commitment (more than you should have to do but ultimately worth it).

So yeah what games have you really struggled to get into, giving them more time than perhaps you should and how did that work out in the end? Worth the effort or a waste of time that didn't change your opinion on the game?

Valhalla took a while for me to get into also, but the the story eventually starts getting pretty good after a few hours imo. Unfortunately the game is buggy af and I think Odyssey was much better.

Another game I had a hard time getting into initially was Deus Ex: HR. I don't even know why but it just didn't click in the first few hours. I am SOOOO glad I stuck with it since it's one of my favorite games of all time and I've replayed it numerous times now.

MiguelItUp

Any Battle Royale game. I'll give everything a chance, but man, I just don't get it with BRs.

There's this piece of me that wishes I was more into the big mainstream shooters that everyone and their mom is into as the traffic is constant and more content keeps coming. But I just can't get into them at all. Not to mention I feel like there isn't enough variation between the games. They have subtle differences, but a lot of the time they're so subtle that they still feel too similar in the end.

S

Sidney Prescott

Unconfirmed Member
Souls games. They just don't scratch my itch.
I like the lore, theme and atmosphere but I just get too frustrated with those games. I'm not patient or good enough to play it.

Hostile_18

Banned
Valhalla took a while for me to get into also, but the the story eventually starts getting pretty good after a few hours imo. Unfortunately the game is buggy af and I think Odyssey was much better.

Another game I had a hard time getting into initially was Deus Ex: HR. I don't even know why but it just didn't click in the first few hours. I am SOOOO glad I stuck with it since it's one of my favorite games of all time and I've replayed it numerous times now.

Interesting you say that about Deus Ex the original (2000) is one of my favourite games of all time. I played through Human Revolution on release but while a good game for me didn't hold a candle to the original. Have you tried the Dishonoured series? They have a lot of the same concepts and are really good games 😁

TheMan

Any Battle Royale game. I'll give everything a chance, but man, I just don't get it with BRs.

There's this piece of me that wishes I was more into the big mainstream shooters that everyone and their mom is into as the traffic is constant and more content keeps coming. But I just can't get into them at all. Not to mention I feel like there isn't enough variation between the games. They have subtle differences, but a lot of the time they're so subtle that they still feel too similar in the end.
Same here. Started with PUBG and since then I've played all the big names in BR but I just can't get into it. I think part of it is that rounds are too long and if you die that's it, no respawn. For MP i need something where I can immediately try again and get better.

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
Interesting you say that about Deus Ex the original (2000) is one of my favourite games of all time. I played through Human Revolution on release but while a good game for me didn't hold a candle to the original. Have you tried the Dishonoured series? They have a lot of the same concepts and are really good games 😁

Absolutely LOVE the Dishonored series except Death of the Outsider, but I love Deus Ex: HR & MD even more.

MiguelItUp

Souls games. They just don't scratch my itch.
I felt this way for the LONGEST time. I think a lot of the issues I personally had with the games were the engine / clunkiness of it all. I absolutely loved everything else about the games through and through.

I feel this way even more so after playing the Demon's Souls remake and absolutely ADORING it. So much so that I couldn't put it down. Beat it, kept playing it, etc. Went back to play Dark Souls as I was riding the "HOLY SHIT I LOVE SOULS GAMES NOW" high, and I put more time into it than I have in the past, but again, I put it down and didn't pick it back up. So it's gotta be something to do with the engine or something, because the Demon's Souls remake just felt so much better to me than the OG Demon's Souls did. Not to mention it was GORGEOUS, so that probably helped too. Maybe.

I can't get into Survival games either. I feel like a lot of them are fun with friends. But the ones I gave a shot just felt... Too similar. I understand the similarities need to be there to cater to the genre, but it all looks so similar, lol. Just like BRs. Same tools, UI, weapons, gameplay, etc.

S

Sidney Prescott

Unconfirmed Member

Absolutely. Imagine how easy it is if you love Fortnite for example? Constant updates, free and you will always know what to play. I envy those people sometimes.

DeepSpace5D

Killzone: Shadow Fall

Got it at launch on PS4, played through the first 3 levels, then stopped playing for years. Movement felt too heavy and slow. Beautiful visuals, just wasn’t having a great time playing it.

Recently picked up a PS5 and heard that Shadow Fall runs at 60fps on it. I played through the 4’th level and it honestly feels much more fluid than I remember. But it’s just.not.that.fun. For me at least.

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

Same here. Started with PUBG and since then I've played all the big names in BR but I just can't get into it. I think part of it is that rounds are too long and if you die that's it, no respawn. For MP i need something where I can immediately try again and get better.
Yup! My old roommates both LOVED PUBG and played all the time. I played with them once or twice and it was the only fun I had with it. So I guess it really helps with friends. But I didn't enjoy it enough to actively continue to play with them later. So I realized I enjoyed the experience with them, rather than anything about the game, lol.

Yeah, I agree that I think I have a huge issue about the rounds being so long and then dying wraps it up. I also feel like so much of it revolves around chance rather than skill as well. I mean, yeah, sometimes it can be both. But if you land in a shit area, get shit gear, etc. you won't have a good run and that game is typically a waste.

As someone that grew up with and adoring Arena Shooters and FPS titles. I think it says a lot. Don't hold me back, let me keep going. Counter-Strike and CS-like modes with rounds are about as far as I can go where I'm like "this is fine", cause the intensity is there too.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Assassins Creed games are notorious for being trash for the first 20 hours where you are a low leveled Spartan or Viking. The moments really step up, the raiding etc. but yeah it’s a bombshell of a franchise with mounting side quests, slow starts etc. it’s amazing how much fat Ubisoft leaves on those games. I finish my games to congrats to myself. Right now I legit want to quit Death Stranding just based off the walking, the cutscenes, acting etc. is great and worth the wait not to discredit Kojima.

MiguelItUp

Absolutely. Imagine how easy it is if you love Fortnite for example? Constant updates, free and you will always know what to play. I envy those people sometimes.
Exactly! I feel bad for despising Fortnite when so many kids (and some of my pals) are into it, lmao.

I got Spellbreak and dug it a bit. But then I checked out the Clash Mode and thought it was vastly superior to the standard BR mode. It's basically 9V9 TDM where you just keep respawning as the circle gets smaller. Oddly enough, gave me Tribes vibes, haha.

Woggleman

Death Stranding is another one. I respect it but going back and forth and tripping over rocks to deliver packages was just pure frustration. Some of the boss battles were fun though.

Deanington

I have been so burnt out on games. Pretty much anything I play now bores the shit out of me after a while. Anything I start becomes harder and harder to complete. CP (waiting for more updates/dlc), Witcher 3, GTA, RDR 2, Dooms, WOW (Shadowlands is good), Tarkov, somebody mentioned Civ which I loved 5, cant get into 6, etc etc. Never had a desire to play the new Assasins Creeds or Dark Souls. Just everything is boring me to tears for the most part. The exception being MTG Arena, thats my go to time waster since beta. Of course Ill get burnt out from that here and there as well. I always go back to it though *shrugs*.

Last edited:

ButchCat

Metro exodus. Tried it twice now and I just can’t get into it.
I feel the same and for a long time I couldn't figure the issue but then I realized it boils down to two things. First the open areas are not fun to explore and don't feel rewarding, the second is that the enemies are too tough even if you play stealthily you will still get punished.

Outlier

RTS, Fighters, building-type simulators, and some others I can't think of right now.

Anything that requires long term strategy planning. I just lack the patience, for it.

Physiocrat

Divinity 2. The battles take absolutely ages and you are way underpowered to do anything in them at the start. I loathed it.

Another game was Crusader Kings 2. There is no tutorial and it just starts and I had no idea what to do. Even after watching three or four hour long youtube vids I still had no idea what to do.

Shrap

RDR2. Played it all the way through which was a slog. The world is amazing and Arthur is a great character but the gameplay just falls flat. The controls are a convoluted mess, simple things like looting or hitching your horse feels like a chore and the shooting is clunky and outdated. Worst of all, despite being an open world game the missions were so stuck on rails that you'd fail unless you did exactly what was scripted.

kyussman

The latest Hitman trilogy....it took me three attempts to get through the first one because of the way the games are designed....replayability.
I never felt like I had truly finished a mission because of how many ways there are to do them....and that put me off.
Eventually I was able to just choose the way I wanted to complete the missions and move on and by the second game I was able to enjoy it first time through....looking forward to playing the third one at some point.

witcher 3 & horizon zero dawn. I've attempted multiple times to play these games. They have a lot going for them. Except fun factor.

im not gonna say last of us. Even tho i've tried it multiple times also. its just a bad zombie game

Majmun

Vagrant Story

whatever I do, I always end up having a build only doing 1hp damage to the enemy.

I’m still in for a remaster/remake, though.

MeteorVII

Final Fantasy IX.

Loved the medieval setting. Loved the music. Loved the combat.

Could not give a single fuck about those characters if my life depended on it, so I ultimately dropped it and never looked back.

Jesus, were they boring af

fart town usa

Gold Member
The one that will haunt me forever is 'Resonance of Fate'. I absolutely love the pre-rendered backgrounds, the music, the characters, etc. The damn battle system is so insanely confusing though. I'm sure I'm just dumb but I'm clearly not the only one judging by YouTube and Google. Tried to do something unique but it just doesn't work and I can't make progress because I just die in major battles.

fart town usa

Gold Member
Ninja Gaiden on the Xbox. Played the first level which was more difficult than I expected. Then man, the first boss which I did manage to beat after a retry or two but he was definitely way more challenging that I expected for a first level boss. Pretty much figured if the first level and boss were already that much of a challenge I can't imagine what the rest of the game was like.(Figured it was going to get way harder) I think a year or 2 later I found out it actually doesn't get that much harder and the first boss is pretty much the toughest in the game and I should have just kept playing. (I really should go back to it or actually NGB which is what I have now.)
That's how I am with Genma Onimusha, the XBOX version of the original Onimusha. It's like mind-numbingly difficult. I played up to the first boss, beat it but I was dying like every 5 minutes. It's absolutely brutal. I honestly have no idea why Capcom thought that was a good idea, the first Onimusha is a fantastic game, Genma just makes it frustrating as hell.

Fredrik

At the moment its Valhalla for me. Loved Odyssey but this just isn't clicking. The story doesn't seem as good and it kind of feels unfinished. I got a glitch in the first room (a floating pig), weird animation of the children as if someone was attacking them inside the room when there was a battle outside, and the first mini village had no civilians just a few enemies at the gates and in the main hut, the rest of the village seemed deserted but there was no context for why it was like that or what was going on. The combat was also far too zoomed out even on my massive tv. Then it dumped me back into what is presumably my home town and tried to show me how to play a complicated dice game or go see a character that looked to be climbing up a cliff face (akwardly). Plus my main character sounds like she smokes 100 fags a day and every customisation option at the start made her look worse. This is a far cry (no pun intended) from Cassandra and how Odyssey started.

Normally I'd say life is too short after two and a half hours move on to something else but theres the high cost of games now and also there have been other games in the past such as Fallout 3, Sekiro and Red Dead 2 where they have only clicked after hours of commitment (more than you should have to do but ultimately worth it).
No kidding, Valhalla it is. Rant incoming... I thought the whole idea that you played as an invader burning down houses with civilians fleeing was pure crap. I mean I really have zero interest in that. If anything this game just made me hate my ancestors. And they completely messed up the stealth gameplay as well with how you needed your shitty vikings to open some doors and chests, which ended everything in a boring slugger fest, and more burnt down houses and screaming civilians.

But I bought the Ultimate edition... So I forced myself to keep playing, and was actually, kinda, almost, getting into it, a little bit. It wasn’t too bad.

And then BAM!!!
I stumbled into a save bug and lost nearly all my playtime...

I instantly uninstalled the game and looked up the ending and pretty much thanked god that I never had to play through it. I’ve only played the three latest Assassin’s Creed games, plus some Black Flag. And Valhalla is by far the worst imo. I really hope they have a more interesting idea for the next game or I’m pulling the plug on the whole IP.

Another game I couldn’t deal with was...
Call of the Sea - I actually started laughing at how slow it was. Who has time for that?? Even my kids started mocking the game speed, walking slowly around the room looking at stuff in slow motion. Can’t believe it was actually getting some hype and I certainly don’t understand the quite okay game reviews. There was nothing interesting at all going on as far as I’m concerned. Well, nice visuals I guess.

Last edited:

Hostile_18

Banned
No kidding, Valhalla it is. Rant incoming... I thought the whole idea that you was an invader burning down houses with civilians fleeing was pure crap. I mean I really have zero interest in that. If anything this game just made me hate my ancestors. And they completely messed up the stealth gameplay as well with how you needed your shitty vikings to open some doors and chests, which ended everything in a boring slugger fest, and more burnt down houses and screaming civilians.

But I bought the Ultimate edition... So I forced myself to keep playing, and was actually, kinda, almost, getting into it, a little bit. It wasn’t too bad.

And then BAM!!!
I stumbled into a save bug and lost nearly all my playtime...

I instantly uninstalled the game and looked up the ending and pretty much thanked god that I never had to play through it. I’ve only played the three latest Assassin’s Creed games, plus some Black Flag. And Valhalla is by far the worst imo. I really hope they have a more interesting idea for the next game or I’m pulling the plug on the whole IP.

Another games I couldn’t deal with was...
Call of the Sea - I actually started laughing at how slow it was. Who has time for that?? Even my kids started mocking the game speed, walking slowly around the room looking at stuff in slow motion. Can’t believe it was actually getting some hype and I certainly don’t understand the quite okay game reviews. There was nothing interesting at all going on as far as I’m concerned. Well, nice visuals I guess.

I don't feel too bad about "only" giving it 4 hours now. I deleted it off my console today. Oh well £50 down the drain. It's quite rare that happens to be fair.

Orta

Banned
I've installed and reinstalled Forza Horizon 3 on my PC a couple of times. Really wanted to get into it but just can't get past the utterly pointless, nonsensical, intrusive and cringe inducing music festival story tacked on. What in the name of jumping jesus is such a thing doing in a racing game in the first place?

Oookay dudes, put your foot down, gotta make it to the beach in 10 minutes for the most rad partay this millennium!

Fuck off :messenger_pouting:

Fredrik

I don't feel too bad about "only" giving it 4 hours now. I deleted it off my console today. Oh well £50 down the drain. It's quite rare that happens to be fair.
You dodged a bullet there as far as I’m concerned. It’s an insane time waster, I probably spent a few hours just building pillars from rocks in that stupid mystery game. Bah!

I swapped and played through The Medium instead, super slow but they still managed to pull me in and scare me into a nervous wreck. When the credits rolled I was excited to see whatever that team does next. It’s a divisive game but at least give it a try if you have Gamepass 👍

Hostile_18

Banned
You dodged a bullet there as far as I’m concerned. It’s an insane time waster, I probably spent a few hours just building pillars from rocks in that stupid mystery game. Bah!

I swapped and played through The Medium instead, super slow but they still managed to pull me in and scare me into a nervous wreck. When the credits rolled I was excited to see whatever that team does next. It’s a divisive game but at least give it a try if you have Gamepass 👍

That's on my list to play as I love horror games! 😁

Sea of Thieves. Tried to get into it since beta. Never clicked.

But a few weeks ago I tried again and killed a pirate skeleton captain randomly and found its skull. Then I discovered you could hunt those for fortune and glory, and it opened up the game to me. I’m now addicted.
It's crazy how underrated SoT is. Stupid fun with friends/family.

Justin9mm

The Last of Us.

I've attempted to play it thorugh countless times because of the love it gets, but I just get bored. I fee like I'm missing out on some secret or something.
If the story doesn't hook you in then it's not for you. There is no secret, you just have to be invested in the story and then the rest of the game compliments it.

Many years ago when released the story was cool and good but a lot of games have happened since then and its not so intriguing imo.

Justin9mm

The two off the top of my head..

RDR2 - Control mechanics are fucked, everything about it is too slow. Missions are sort of repetitive and generic.
Horizon Zero Dawn (Yawn) - Looked nice at the time, story wasn't really grabbing me. Besides graphics everything was so bland like another generic Ubisoft open world title.

Mister D

Nier Automata - Bought the Game of the YorHa edition on sale after hearing so much about it and liking the demo. After beating the first boss and getting to the first settlement area I just lost interest. I really need to continue it though since the music has been amazing so far.

Hitman - No patience for stealth shit where I can't shoot my way out if I screw up. Plus the whole sneak around a big level doing a bunch of stuff only to mess up, get caught and have to start all over. Fuuuuck that, I don't have enough gaming time anymore to waste like that.

Battle Royale - Not for me. At all.

Souls games - Not enough gaming time available for me to keep dying over and over until I git gud. I'll just play something else that won't have me ripping my hair out.

MOBAs - What the fuck is even going on in these games.

Sim Racers/Open world Racers - Boring bullshit and crummy ass, confusing track layouts. Give me silly ass arcade handling and beautiful, varied tracks to race and crash through.

Resident Evil and any weak character ultra-limited resources type game - I find it annoying to have to manage limited bullets and whatnot and run around with a fragile ass character that dies to everything.

Top Bottom