• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What games have you struggled to get into?

S

Sidney Prescott

Unconfirmed Member
The latest Hitman trilogy....it took me three attempts to get through the first one because of the way the games are designed....replayability.
I never felt like I had truly finished a mission because of how many ways there are to do them....and that put me off.
Eventually I was able to just choose the way I wanted to complete the missions and move on and by the second game I was able to enjoy it first time through....looking forward to playing the third one at some point.
You definitely really have to enjoy replaying content when it comes to Hitman. It's all about planning your routes, performing new executions. I can see why you'd have trouble getting in to that.

Sometimes it is fun to go guns blazing honestly. Obviously not how it is meant to be played, but they have so many cool weapons in the games.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Demon’s Souls took a looooong time to click. Actually I dropped it for a couple months after a while, then restarted it and still struggled a lot. Then one fateful day I somehow managed to beat 4-2, then after the spectacular 4-3 boss fight I was so elated that suddenly I thought “Woah, I’m actually enjoying this!”.
Went on to finish the game and after that, playing Dark Souls wasn’t an option.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
Immortals recently, just felt so void of personality.

Jeeves

Dark Souls. I was into it for a little while. Hell, I enjoyed what I played of Demon's Souls before it was cool (lol). I was having a decent enough time with Dark Souls and played up to Anor Londo, and by then the fans of the game were so deafening in their praise of it. Every forum and podcast was all about Dark Souls and would find a way to mention it in every single topic. I could not escape Dark Souls even when I wasn't playing it. So I dropped it cold and still feel like I've gotten enough Souls via osmosis to last me a lifetime.

The Legend of Zelda franchise. I've tried A Link to The Past, Majora's Mask, Wind Waker, and Twilight Princess and I don't get the appeal. People say Breath of the Wild is different, but honestly, I'm tired of giving this franchise a chance. There's just something about how the games are designed that it makes it feel like it's always holding your hand. It's insulting; and when it doesn't hold your hand, I find myself walking around like an idiot not knowing how to progress.

Last edited:

G-Bus

Banned
The witcher 3. So much praise and awards and 5 or so hours in I uninstall. Have done this at least 5 times since the game cane out.

DansDans

God Of War (PS4)
- Annoying opening story that just wants to hold my hand and not let me play
- Cant jump when I want to
- Action buttons assigned to R1 and R2 make it feel like a FPS
- The new Kratos wasn't that awesome

Dr. Suchong

Persona 5.
I really tried to like it, but after 30 plus hours of Morgana insisting on what I could and couldn't do and the overwhelming anxiety of how best to use my time in the game, I lost interest.
Perhaps 5 shouldn't of been my first venture into Persona. I hear the earlier titles are much better.

Hollow Knight
I unfairly compare every Metroidvania to Sotn.
It's a mechanically sound game with a (if perhaps not quite to my taste) cool aesthetic.
But Sotn DESTROYS it. I'm biased. Sue me :cool:

Dr. Suchong

Dark Souls. I was into it for a little while. Hell, I enjoyed what I played of Demon's Souls before it was cool (lol). I was having a decent enough time with Dark Souls and played up to Anor Londo, and by then the fans of the game were so deafening in their praise of it. Every forum and podcast was all about Dark Souls and would find a way to mention it in every single topic. I could not escape Dark Souls even when I wasn't playing it. So I dropped it cold and still feel like I've gotten enough Souls via osmosis to last me a lifetime.
This.
My ears are still ringing like the fucking Bells of awakening from the cacophony of endless Souls series bleatings.

mhirano

Dark Souls.

What a mess of game design that piece of shit is. Just tried it because all the fuzz around it and I fell asleep 3 hours in.

"HURR DURR GIT GUD NO HAND HOLDING KID"
Funnily enough, this people that praises the awful combat design of these games is the same that cannot get a rank A combo in games like DMC or Bayonetta.
Dark Souls slow and kinda janky combat is not great. But you should try Bloodborne and Sekiro, they have great combat and are AMAZING! I got all trophies except 1 in the first and on my way to the platinum on the latter.

Nier Automata and Elder Scrolls Online
Been obsessed with TES ever since Oblivion but for the life of me I can’t get into ESO, tried countless times and I always end up uninstalling it after a couple of days just because I know I don’t have the time to commit to it since it’s an mmo.
Nier Automata on the other end is one of those games that everyone is hyping up to the moon, yet I just can’t bring myself to dedicate my gaming time to it, especially knowing that you have to play through it like 3 tines to get the whole story, immediately sucks the fun out of every play session. Will give it one last try next week hopefully.

Tschumi

Red Dead Redemption 2 - just too big, i elect not to try it because I'm almost certain i haven't the time it needs.

Gran Turismo Sport - i really miss GT6.

God of War - it's nooby but when i realised it was yet another game where even basic enemies are a challenge that requires numerous reloads if you're not switched on i shelved it for a while.

Been obsessed with TES ever since Oblivion but for the life of me I can’t get into ESO, tried countless times and I always end up uninstalling it after a couple of days
I deleted it as soon as i realised the Morag Tong were the starting quest givers. It really chapped my ass that they made one of the deepest and most interesting factions something you deal with at level 1.

Last edited:

Rodolink

Super Mario 2. never liked that weird mechanic of nabbing stuff from the ground, then throw it.
Any MMO.
Any Free to play. (cant stand mechanics purposefully used to make you give money and deceive your primitive mind)

Cyberpunkd

Gold Member
I feel you.. I tried to get into base persona 5 three times and just couldnt. Friend told me to get royal and at first still didnt like it and ended up loving it. I can't wait for strikers now!
Same with Persona 5 base, the exposition at the beginning is ridiculous.

Another one - The Last of Is. Walking simulator with clumsy gameplay. They took Uncharted, cut off the fun parts (platforming, cool locations) and went chasing ‘interactive movie’ train.

Hudo

From recent memory?

Witcher 3: People kept (and still keep) saying how great this game is, etc. I tried to get into it a couple of times only to drop it after some hours. Don't like how the combat feels, don't like how it feels to navigate the menus. The world is alright. But it just feels cumbersome to play (for me).

Red Dead Redemption 2: I am usually a fan of Rockstar Games' releases. However, I think that Red Dead Redemption 2 might be the worst open-world 'game' I have played because the game feels like it had two directors: One who wanted to have this cool, living simulation of a world and the other who wanted to make a cinematic story. Both couldn't agree on anything so the producer stepped in and decided on the worst compromises he could. That's how the game feels to me. The missions are actively fighting against the open-world and the open-world doesn't particularly care for the missions.

The Outer Worlds: I had somewhat high expectations because it was a new RPG from Tim Cain and Leonard Boyarsky. And it is frustrating because I could see that there were cool decisions beneath all the budget constraints. But that game really could've used a higher budget. One could see that there were many things they just couldn't really follow through with because they had limited resources. And it is a bit baffling to me that they went ahead with them anyway... Maybe they should've made an isometric RPG instead, using the Pillars of Eternity 2 tech.

Divinity: Original Sin 2: I get why people hailing this game as the best one of the "CRPG Renaissance". I do think the combat system is great. I do think that this is a good take on a modernized Ultima. But godfucking damn, man. The writing and the world building was just unbearable to me, so much so that I dropped the game. That's why I eagerly wait for the completion of Baldur's Gate III (I don't support early access business models) as it seems exactly what I am looking for.

Final Fantasy XV: I am a Final Fantasy fan. I even like the FF 13 games. But that game felt like a clusterfuck of ideas that where thrown together without following through with them. The story has a lot of plot holes, the combat system is "on the verge" of feeling great and fun but without "getting there"; it's just not fun to press a button and receive feedback from the game, which should be important in an action-based combat system IMHO. The world is looking cool but it's boring. The disjointed writing also didn't really help matters when it comes to get the player to care about the characters. Ardyn's motivations don't seem strong enough for me that he went through all of this effort. Luna was advertised as a central character but only shows up a couple of times, even though she is one of the main motivations of Noctis. Noctis' interactions and dialog with his companions all felt very forced and unnatural to me. Soundtrack was fucking banging, though.

Iron Harvest: I am an RTS gamer at heart. I grew up with RTS games (and strategy games at large). It's what I would play if I had to choose only one genre. And I also love mechs, especially Battletech. So I was pretty excited for Iron Harvest; I mean, it's Company of Heroes in WWI with mechs. How fucking cool is that? However, they never achieved the snappiness and the flow of the Company of Heroes games. Iron Harvest feels slow and janky in comparison. The mechs are cool but not really as central to the game as advertised. The campaign is alright, in fact one of the better ones in recent times. The maps are boring. And I would have loved to be able to zoom out more. The issues with the camera I had could've been easily solved by just letting me zoom out a bit more, so I don't have to deal with it that much; never had that problem with Company of Heroes. The game is also not well readable at certain times; Company of Heroes managed to get that right as well, even though it had the same color palette of various gray and brown colors, I always knew (or at least I had the feeling that I knew) what was going on.

Melubas

I love CRPG:s, but I could never get into the Baldur's Gate series due to the combat, which is surprising considering I don't really care that much about combat in other games. I just had a hard time understanding the mechanics and it felt like my characters stood around whiffing hits in front of their enemies all the time. I also thought the system of having to rest to replenish spell uses to be clunky as hell. Currently playing Pillars of Eternity 2 and here most spells replenish their uses after combat which is a system that feels much more intuitive to me.

SCB3

I really struggle to get into games like Factorio and Satisfactory, on the surface I see what they are and they're pretty great games, but I dunno an hour in I lose interest, I may have to just dip in and out of them over time I think

4x games are a genre that I also struggled with, it made me feel stupid at times, but Stellaris, Civilization and Crusaders Kings 3 have let me understand them a lot more and make me wanna play more of them, but I'm a AAA whore and need to finish so many games before I put time into it, and even then, I stick with Destiny

RAIDEN1

Metal Gear 5, and the anniversary edition of Tomb Raider that was free on PSN, both no longer on my system.....Mad Max also...Just Cause 3 and 4....Battlefield V I got with my recent PS4 Pro purchase but yet to play it.....

Last edited:

Verchod

Anything Ubisoft.
I've played hours of assassin's creed Odyssey but I can't finish it, it's so boring. It has no atmosphere and the game is broken up into such small chunks, it's like they don't want you to play it. I keep uninstalling it, then reinstalling it as there's sod all else out at the moment.
I also have Watch dogs 2 to finish, and that's almost as bad.
I bought both in sale so were very cheap but still, they're utterly mediocre.

Halo0629

Usually those hardcore survival games like rust, ark, green hell, etc... Looks fun watching people play it but when I'm the one playing it I'm not really enjoying it and it feels like a chore.

kurisu_1974

is on perm warning for being a low level troll
Indie darlings like Oxenfree, Hotline Miami, Dead Cells, The Witness, Into the Breach, Return of the Obra Dinn, Outer Wilds, ...

I gave all of those a serious chance but none of them sticked, all for different reasons. I did like and finish Disco Elysium and Forgotton Anne tho.

Also stuff like Aphex Legends or Overwatch. I understand what's to like, it just bores me to tears (and I'm pretty bad at them too).

Life

Last 4/5 years - most games. As I get older - it just becomes increasingly difficult to continue playing a game I start, especially the repetitive ones. I keep having to dig games from the past to get some sort of enjoyment out of them.

CeeJay

Sea of Thieves. Tried to get into it since beta. Never clicked.

But a few weeks ago I tried again and killed a pirate skeleton captain randomly and found its skull. Then I discovered you could hunt those for fortune and glory, and it opened up the game to me. I’m now addicted.
SoT is not the game it was when it released. You are in for a great time exploring the multiple layers of gameplay styles that SoT has woven together since launch.

kamkamkam

Gmpy2Mb.jpg

Boss Mog

That RE8 demo was hard for me to get into. It looked and felt very dated. RE7 worked for me because I played it in VR but without VR it's kind of dull. I'll be skipping it until they release a VR version.

SCB3

SoT is not the game it was when it released. You are in for a great time exploring the multiple layers of gameplay styles that SoT has woven together since launch.
Yea Sea of Thieves got a lot better since Launch

Interesting fact, I almost worked for Rare working on it last year until Covid caused a Hiring Freeze :(

Hestar69

Same with Persona 5 base, the exposition at the beginning is ridiculous.

Another one - The Last of Is. Walking simulator with clumsy gameplay. They took Uncharted, cut off the fun parts (platforming, cool locations) and went chasing ‘interactive movie’ train.
Yeah the game starts off sooooooooooooo slow even for a jrpg. but once I got into it I loved it.

The Alien

Banned
Horizon Zero Dawn.

I really liked the opening of the game. It set a great stage for her story and adventure. Then I was off and started playing.....

I didn't find anything terribly original. The game, to me, felt like a mash-up of similar, better games (Assassin's Creed clone, Arkham detective vision, etc.). I thought the Robo-Dinos were actually pretty lame - as in not cool.

Termite

Horizon Zero Dawn.

I really liked the opening of the game. It set a great stage for her story and adventure. Then I was off and started playing.....

I didn't find anything terribly original. The game, to me, felt like a mash-up of similar, better games (Assassin's Creed clone, Arkham detective vision, etc.). I thought the Robo-Dinos were actually pretty lame - as in not cool.
This seems like the opposite of "struggled to get into". You liked the start, played the game, and... discovered you just didn't like it.

For me, "struggled to get into" means a game you believe you would enjoy if you could just get over the hurdle of learning its systems, but you can't.

For me, Hitman and Xcom 2 are those games. I keep playing the tutorials of each every couple months, believing that if I get to grips with them then I'll enjoy them. But the systems are complex so I bounce off them to something easier to play.

Whenever I feel like this and end up making a REAL effort to pick up a game, I almost invariably love it. But that hurdle of systems complexity can be a big one when you're tired after work and just want to relax.

Whereas with something like Call of Duty, I have no struggle playing through those games, I just never like them.

Red Dead Redemption 2. For some reason, one that I can’t quite figure out, I’m just not feeling it. I enjoy exploring open worlds, don’t mind fetch quests/bounties and the like, I’m content with slow paced games.

The only thing that really comes to mind is that the western setting does nothing for me. ‘Realism’ in games does nothing for me, I almost think it’s a waste of resources striving for it. Whether that be in the art style or animation. There is a trend of having countless individual animations that all have to blend together. I feel this really slows down the gameplay. It’s incredibly jarring going from a game that doesn’t suffer from this to one that does.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
I'm not too picky generally, but the two greatest examples are probably...

Mass Effect. I love the series as a whole, but I almost walked away in the first game. I appreciate the narrative beats, but something about the Eden Prime into the Citadel in the intro just absolutely failed to catch my interest. It picks up around Noveria/Feros, and I'm glad I stuck with it, but damn.

And Silent Hill 4. The ghosts ruined it for me. And the change up in controls was a weird thing. Unfortunate because the game drips atmosphere and probably has one of the better stories in the franchise.

tylrdiablos

Mass Effect.
I probably left it too long, the whole thing just felt clunky and the story wasn't very interesting. (Obviously this could change as I put more hours in.)
(I played 30+ hours of Mass Effects 3's multiplayer/horde/swarm/whatever mode and really really enjoyed it.)

I'll wait and see what the reviews say for the upcoming remaster, but I doubt I'll drop £55 on it. I can wait (twice).

ThaGuy

Grand theft auto for me. I had a friend who let me have gta 5 and I played for about 10 hours then just never felt the need to play again. That happens to all of them for me.

Battle royale games are up there also. I just can't play more than two games before my fix is filled for a while.

Edgelord79

Gold Member
Last 4/5 years - most games. As I get older - it just becomes increasingly difficult to continue playing a game I start, especially the repetitive ones. I keep having to dig games from the past to get some sort of enjoyment out of them.
I've also experienced this and have struggled to understand why. For myself, I've narrowed it down to several factors namely;

- the growing trend towards extreme difficulty with games that look interesting to me;
- the ridiculous length of some games;
- the pricing models and different versions of games just turns me off
- the prevalence of roguelikes/roguelites with games that would have looked appealing to me otherwise.
- lack of time as I have more responsibilities
- the "sense of accomplishment" games seem to push now. While I understand others may play for this, I don't.
- the types of games I usually prefer are not always on consoles and that's where I can spare a1/2 hour or two per day easiest.

Last edited:

Newari

Recently Watch Dogs Legion. It's incredible how boring a slightly more dystopian London can be after spending 100+ hours in Night city.

Top Bottom