• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What games would you erase from your memory to experience for the first time again if you had the chance?

Gentle

Banned
Of course use spoiler tags for story heavy things.

I have often found myself thinking about how much certain games put me in complete awe the first time I played them, and while all my favorite games have extreme replayability there are certain games I oh so wish I could experience for the first time again.

One of the games I really wish I could forget and play again is The Talos Principle, I have finished it twice, and considering it is a puzzle game that is impressive by itself. But THAT ending when
you finally climb the tower, False God plays, Shepherd helps you and Samsara tries to stop you, all while Elohim holds one of the most emotional speeches a "final boss" have ever had in the ending of a game... I was so amazed the first time that I did not start any new game right after. I took a few days off just to process the game.

The entire game is really great and you get truly immersed in the universe at large.

Another contender:

Metal Gear Solid - Ground Zeroes.

Yes, I know this will raise quite a few eyebrows. But few games have made me as emotional as that one. I had just played Peace Walker before and
seeing Mother Base destroyed after all that work I put into it in Peace Walker (even played coop with a friend to 100% it) was gut wrenching. I actually stood up and punched the wall out of fury. Needless to say I was just as bound for revenge against Skull Face as Snake and Kaz in V.

All the Souls-games would be great to discover for the first time as well. I don't know anything scarier in games than coming to a new place with a lot of souls/echoes and not finding a bonfire haha!

What game(s) would you want to experience for the first time again?
100% i would wipe my memory of outer wilds!

It'd be BioShock Infinite for me.

If I had the chance, I'd choose to experience it all again from the start. I've played it so much now, I could speed run it. But in saying that, I still discover new things everytime I play though it . A very special game. Ken Levine nailed it.

mliYdaX.gif

Edit: Don't even @ me BioShock Infinite haters. :messenger_grinning_smiling:

Last edited:
I'd love to experience the entire Trails franchise from Sky 1 to Cold Steel 4 all over again
Same for the Utawareruono trilogy. Uta has some of the best writing in media I've ever seen. Kuon and Haku should be examples of how to write characters who grow and evolve that everyone looks to.

The Last of Us
Breath of the Wild
Nier
Celeste
The Last of Us 2
Dark Souls
Gears of War
Modern Warfare (the 2006 one)
Celeste
Twilight Princess
Metal Gear Solid 3

Dr Bass

That's a tough one. So much of how I have reacted to a game is also my age when I experienced it. Secret of Mana was an incredibly "important" game to me in my life, but if I played it now instead of when I was a kid, it wouldn't be the same at all. Most of the games I would like to "erase my memory" for, in order to have the same impact I would also require me to regress as a person too, in a lot of ways.

That said ...

Super Metroid.

Not to be a party pooper, but nostalgia doesn't work like this. There's a very good chance that if you forgot about your favorite game, and it's quite an old game, that you'd never give it a chance in the current year.

For example, my favorite game is from 2002. It's very (!) clunky to play and even getting it to run properly on a modern PC is a hassle. I'd never give it the time of day if I tried it for the first time in 2021.

turtlepowa

Banned
Not to be a party pooper, but nostalgia doesn't work like this. There's a very good chance that if you forgot about your favorite game, and it's quite an old game, that you'd never give it a chance in the current year.

For example, my favorite game is from 2002. It's very (!) clunky to play and even getting it to run properly on a modern PC is a hassle. I'd never give it the time of day if I tried it for the first time in 2021.
It does if you know you would still love the game today. Of course for some people the time back then was as important as the game itself and you can't get the time back. Maybe you are no longer young, healthy, carefree or whatever, but i know i would still love those games. Why? Because i still use to play them today even if i know everything about them.

TLOU + TLOU2 (PS3/4)
Ratchet and Clank (PS2)
Ratchet and Clank: Future Trilogy (PS3)
Pokemon Diamond/Pearl/Platinum (DS)
Dead Space 1/2/3 (PS3)
BOTW (Switch)

Last edited:

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE

Lol yes I was thinking the same regarding answering.

Say that for a brief time you're able to revert to a state in which you can experience a game as if it's the first time then I would be the games that made the biggest impression on me. Mostly that came with a new console.

Mario
Star fox
Luigi's mansion
Ocarina of Time
Shenmue
Dead or alive 2 (DC)
Halo CE
BoTW
Etc

I can appreciate a game a second time but that first magical experience laying eyes and playing something new just cannot be replicated

CyberChulo

Ghost of Tsushima
Metal Gear Solid
Metal Gear Solid 4
Contra (Nes)
Contra Alien Wars
Super Castlevania IV
Earth Defense Force 5
Final Fantasy VII
Astrobot PSVR
Resident Evil VII PSVR
God of War (Entire Series)
Puppeteer
Ratchet and Clank (Entire Series)

A lot more but can't think of them right now.

Alright

Banned
Fallout 1 - for that atmosphere
Fallout 2 - Frank Horrigan fight
Mass Effect 1 - Finding out that sovereign isn't a ship. The bit with the radio when Sovereign first talks to you. What a twist!

If I could hit a button that reset everything back to 1985 I would hit it so hard there would be tsunami warnings around the globe.

Ten_Fold

Bloodborne, gears 1, halo3. Some of the best times was playing H3 on the 360 all day when I was in high school.

DJTHEGREY

The Division... Playing that game with my crew was a a blast and the dark zone at the time was a unique experience.

Final Fantasy 7 although the amount of reading isn't ideal now with my schedule but it still has one of the best battle systems, characters and story when it comes to turn based Rpgs.

Final Fantasy 10.... Not just for it's story and battle system but I loved the approach with it's main character and how it allowed you to get to know a strange world that not what it's perceived to be in the beginning.

Metal Gear 3 Snake Eater. Epic from beginning to end period... Still arguably the best intro of all time.

Life is strange.... Although got a little too sci-fi at the end. The overall story was really good and unique (to me) with many meaningful choices to be made. Never played a game like it.

Mass Effect... Easily my favorite game that gen. Although the 3rd really ruined things the 1st and 2nd are epic

nerdface

Banned
I’m not 12. I don’t play games for some kind of immersive cinematic experience. There is no fourth wall. There is only fun puzzle-like interaction, and boredom.

The idea of enjoying Halo1 any less tomorrow than launch day is silly to me.

Hunnybun

Yeah I'm gonna be another pedant and reject anything like Mario 64 that was awe-inspiring AT THE TIME simply because of extreme innovation/technical breakthrough etc.

In terms of things that would still be amazing today if I could experience them for the first time:

Astrobot - best VR I've played and probably the most mindblowing game I've experienced since the 90s
Rime - one of the most artistic and profound games I've ever played, from any era, and certainly the most touching
Inside - another artistic masterpiece

MGS2

Playing that game for the first time was almost like watching 2001 for the first time. It was spooky. And I loved it.

Last edited:

shoegaze

Of course use spoiler tags for story heavy things.

I have often found myself thinking about how much certain games put me in complete awe the first time I played them, and while all my favorite games have extreme replayability there are certain games I oh so wish I could experience for the first time again.

One of the games I really wish I could forget and play again is The Talos Principle, I have finished it twice, and considering it is a puzzle game that is impressive by itself. But THAT ending when
you finally climb the tower, False God plays, Shepherd helps you and Samsara tries to stop you, all while Elohim holds one of the most emotional speeches a "final boss" have ever had in the ending of a game... I was so amazed the first time that I did not start any new game right after. I took a few days off just to process the game.

The entire game is really great and you get truly immersed in the universe at large.

Another contender:

Metal Gear Solid - Ground Zeroes.

Yes, I know this will raise quite a few eyebrows. But few games have made me as emotional as that one. I had just played Peace Walker before and
seeing Mother Base destroyed after all that work I put into it in Peace Walker (even played coop with a friend to 100% it) was gut wrenching. I actually stood up and punched the wall out of fury. Needless to say I was just as bound for revenge against Skull Face as Snake and Kaz in V.

All the Souls-games would be great to discover for the first time as well. I don't know anything scarier in games than coming to a new place with a lot of souls/echoes and not finding a bonfire haha!

What game(s) would you want to experience for the first time again?
None. I don't know how they influenced me subconsciously, whatever the game may be. So if I'd delete the experience of some of the best games i have played, I wouldn't be the same way I am now.

In the simplest example, and in the same gaming context, there could've been something in art direction, storyline, mechanics, that developed my funcional process, which in turn could've influenced the likeability of subsequent games.

TexMex

Most of the usual suspects like Ocarina and MGS.

Some I’d also have to go back in time for. A huge part of Super Mario 64 was seeing that in 96, so just getting that game in 2021 isn’t going to carry the same weight.

Warcraft 3, Advance Wars and Bloodborne come to mind as well.

Ultima Online for the experience of seeing what a MMO was for the first time too.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Many, some would be:

GOW 2018
Ghost of Tsushima
TLOU2
Assassin's Creed Odyssey
The Witcher 3
Uncharted 4

and many more.

Note: I can't play old games now again even if never experienced them, and between the mentioned ones it'll be painful to play through The Witcher 3 even when I literally gave it 12 out of 10 as preordered it day one and wasn't expected much out if it at first. Its mechanics and gameplay now have aged horribly now compared to the mentioned games, also it's too easy in Deathmarch difficulty. I've finished literally every question mark in all maps and DLC's of the game and it's of course one of the best games of last gen.

Last edited:
The Last of Us
The Last of Us 2
Red Dead Redemption 2
GTA4 and both dlc stories. ❤
Ghost of Tsushima
God of War
Bioshock
Half Life 2
Life is Strange
Far Cry 5
Final Fantasy 7 (the original)

kaosridder

Neo Member
I'll bring some proper old school into this thread!
Dungeon Master 1 & 2 for sure. Just absolutely wow. Sitting in the basement of my parents house carefully making a map on paper while descending deeper and deeper into an unknown abyss. To go back in time and do it all over again. There is nothing I wouldn't give for the sheer joy of that experience one more time.

Yerd

What if - second time you play it, fresh start, don't know anything about game and you don't like it. What then?

Guess logon to Gaf and crap on the game. Only logical next move.
I'll crap on Goldeneye for you. People jiz all over this game, but at the time I was playing FPS on pc with a mouse and this game played like shit. My mind can never be changed on that. So to play this now, you have knowledge of current game mechanics and then try to play this dogshit fps game with that garbage controller.

Top Bottom