• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What games would you recommend for someone “new” to gaming?

ShadowNate

For something (mostly) relaxing:
Journey

For a puzzle game with some (great) philosophical themes:
The Talos Principle

For a fun puzzle game that feels like each "stage" can be perfectly solved:
Into the breach

For a point and click adventure game:
Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis (old, but a great classic)

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Okey, so I want your recommendations on what games I should play! I haven’t really played that many games by myself, but a lot of games with someone close to me! So I would say I’m not that good :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Love games with a wonderful story, intriguing characters, amazing music and fun gameplay! I’m also open to games that are just fun and easygoing. Big fan of jrpg’s 💗 And I’m not afraid of trying a difficult game, I would love the challenge!

Oh, and games playable on switch & PS4/PS5!

Love to hear what you have to recommend! :goog_geek:

cat moe GIF
Dude you gotta try Castle Crashers. No real story but the gameplay is accessible, fun and funny. The Behemoth is one of my favorite indie devs.

Hmm Jrpgs.... I'm really enjoying Yakuza - Like a dragon. It's a turn based Jrpg. Very funny and weird.

I've heard Dragon Quest was great. I recently tried DQ: IX on gamepass. It was not for me. No doubt you can play it on PS4 or PS5 but you'll need to pay.

Pagusas

Elden Member
Borderlands 2 in coop, it was my wife’s first game and I got to play it with her and teach her things as we go. It’s opening area is the perfect tutorial for new people.

seriously, it worked great. The biggest thing I recommend is paying close attention to how the person tries to use the look stick, if they seem to be struggling and constantly looking down when meaning up, switch them to invert controls (which I had to do with my wife). Instantly things started clicking for her when we did that.

now she has over 1000 hours in all the borderlands games, is a rabid Diablo 3 and Guild Wars player

Last edited:
Mario Odyssey 100x over. I absolutely adore that game and I imagine anyone who sits down to play it would too. Tetris Effect on PS4/5 is a great option if you like puzzle games too.

yamaci17

Telltale the walking dead...game is a superb starter game and easy to play.
this is a really good suggestion, both being easy to play and conveying a great story

it would probably surprise and caught the new gamer off guard, not everyone know that games can and do tell great stories, much better stories than most of the top movies... walking dead is one of them

i can add rdr 2 for such an example. it practically has slowmo auto aim and a very slow paced gameplay...

I would say 3D Zelda games. They’re not too difficult and give a decent balance of Combat, Puzzles, Exploration, and a decent Story. Unfortunately not too many them are on Switch. My favorites are probably Ocarina of Time, Twilight Princess, and Breath of the Wild.

Kirby games are pretty chill too, though again not really sure if there are many, if any, on the Switch.

My personal favorite long running series are:

-Metroid (Nintendo)
-Resident Evil (multi-plat)
-Metal Gear Solid (multi-plat with MGS4 stuck on the PS3 still)
-Devil May Cry (multi-plat)
-Souls games (multi-plat/some PS exclusive)

Also Platinum games usually make good stuff like Bayonetta and Metal Gear Rising, but their output had been really delayed lately.

Last edited:

j0hnnix

Gold Member
Demon Souls, Nioh 1 then 2, Ninja Gaiden Black, Bloodborne, Dark Souls 1 and 3 not 2 do not for the love of all purple haired Twitter females do not play Dark Souls 2!

Last edited:

BigBooper

Valkyria Chronicles 1 Remastered. It's on both Switch and PS4. Very cool interesting characters, story, and alternate history setting. It can be very easy or very difficult depending on how you want it. Lots of content and side stories.

Can't believe no one's mentioned it yet.

Last edited:
I would say 3D Zelda games. They’re not too difficult and give a decent balance of Combat, Puzzles, Exploration, and a decent Story. Unfortunately not too many them are on Switch. My favorites are probably Ocarina of Time, Twilight Princess, and Breath of the Wild.

Kirby games are pretty chill too, though again not really sure if there are many, if any, on the Switch.

My personal favorite long running series are:

-Metroid (Nintendo)
-Resident Evil (multi-plat)
-Metal Gear Solid (multi-plat with MGS4 stuck on the PS3 still)
-Devil May Cry (multi-plat)
-Souls games (multi-plat/some PS exclusive)

Also Platinum games usually make good stuff like Bayonetta and Metal Gear Rising, but their output had been really delayed lately.
Really good suggestions, thank you! :messenger_smiling:

Valkyria Chronicles 1 Remastered. It's on both Switch and PS4. Very cool interesting characters, story, and alternate history setting. It can be very easy or very difficult depending on how you want it. Lots of content and side stories.

Oh, exiting! Definitely going to look it up! ☺️

Super Mario World
Doom (1993) - The shareware version is just fine
The Secret of Monkey Island (in ScummVM or something, none of that remaster nonsense)
Final Fantasy VI
Tetris

Basic quality gameplay. No overcomplicated bullshit. If you don't find something you love there then maybe it's not the hobby for you.

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE

I've been eying this one for years now whenever it's on sale. Never quite pulled the trigger but I feel that next time I finally will =)

Well, you have a Switch, so the first couple of video games i'd recommend are Super Mario 3D World + Bowser's Fury and The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild. SM3DW+BF i think is better than Odyssey for a beginner because it has a much more cohesive artstyle, more direct, tight platforming. It's also an overall excellent game. Breath of the Wild is just a fantastic game.

For JRPGs, Dragon Quest XI S: Echoes of an Elusive Age - Definitive Edition and Xenoblade Chronicles: Definitive Edition are must plays. They're both excellent and offer two different perspectives on JRPGs; one is more traditional, and one is much more story centric.

Those 4 are going to last you a long time.

Link's Awakening. The original on the GB was my first Zelda game and pretty chill, the Switch remake has received QoL upgrades and is a very good game.
You should probably give Animal Crossing a try too.

Well, you have a Switch, so the first couple of video games i'd recommend are Super Mario 3D World + Bowser's Fury and The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild. SM3DW+BF i think is better than Odyssey for a beginner because it has a much more cohesive artstyle, more direct, tight platforming. It's also an overall excellent game. Breath of the Wild is just a fantastic game.

For JRPGs, Dragon Quest XI S: Echoes of an Elusive Age - Definitive Edition and Xenoblade Chronicles: Definitive Edition are must plays. They're both excellent and offer two different perspectives on JRPGs; one is more traditional, and one is much more story centric.

Those 4 are going to last you a long time.
Excellent suggestions, thank you!

Top Bottom