• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What happend to Condemned 3?

mekes

Jace Hall has always said he would be interested in a third chapter. At the mo I imagine he is quite busy running Echo Fox. E-sports stuff.

Flynn101

Neo Member
Condemned 1 took a bit and actually had a different publisher at one time. We started Condemned 2 a couple months after Condemned shipped. The engine was Monolith's in-house engine which was used on F.E.A.R. and later used on F.E.A.R. 2 and Condemned 2 with various upgrades and changes.

And it's really exiting to see your passion about the game not gone anywhere so many years later. I read all your posts about Condemned here, there is so much love in it! Dying to ask you a couple of very specific questions about the atmosphere of the original and its semantic content, registered on neogaf just for it. And wondering if you can see this.

This is the setup process/files that allowed me to enable EAX features on onboard sound (Realtek) for Condemned 1:

Once setup, it also works in Doom 3, The Dark Project, obviously, F.E.A.R and other games with EAX.

My experience with this game was when it first released on 360. Nothing before then or after it has sacred me at all. Outlast/Amnesia/SOMA etc just seem lame in comparison and never registered even a slight jump or sense of fear..

I had to take breaks when playing C1. It was just so nerve racking. Now I replay it for the fight mechanics.

Last edited:

TMLT

First one had better single player but man, the online on 2 was pretty hilarious back in the day. That one mode where one team hides evidence boxes and the other has to use their scanners to find it was brilliant.

Imagine the first with mp with a similar mode to Spies vs Mercs from Splinter Cell CT. Or even just a straight deathmatch/team DM where you rip weapons from the environment and duke it out with random bosses spawning and both teams need to stop fighting each other to kill the boss, then back to pvp.

Last edited:
And it's really exiting to see your passion about the game not gone anywhere so many years later. I read all your posts about Condemned here, there is so much love in it! Dying to ask you a couple of very specific questions about the atmosphere of the original and its semantic content, registered on neogaf just for it. And wondering if you can see this.

Dude, the guy left that reply almost 2 years ago...

dilbag

I would love a 3rd one, really enjoyed the first too.

The 2nd one wasnt as good as the first but still was an amazing journey. The online part was kinda blah but the single player was still fun to play!

element

C1 and C2 were some of the best times I had in the industry. Great team of people. Livelong friends. It is a franchise I'd love to work on again, but sadly I think it time has long passed. If you have questions, ask away.

Flynn101

Neo Member
C1 and C2 were some of the best times I had in the industry. Great team of people. Livelong friends. It is a franchise I'd love to work on again, but sadly I think it time has long passed. If you have questions, ask away.

It's a great pleasure! Actually I'm working for a large russian videogame portal Stopgame.Ru. Our team wants to do a worthy retrospective of Condemned. So my question would be VERY specific. If you dont know the answer itself — just share you thoughts. Hope it won't take long, but i'll take my chances!

1. The game is all about violence and fear of urbanism. Are there any specific events or trends in America of those times that served as the starting point for this? Escalating criminal atmosphere, increasing number of drug addicts and homeless people, easing firearms control?

2. Dead Space developers studied photographs of war chronicles and modern morgues to recreate distorted bodies of necromorphs. Have your team explored crime scene photography? Or photos of these vulnerable population groups to create such horrific enemies?

3. Are there any prototypes for a serial killers? For example, I read about Matador Pedrinho, serial killer who killed serial killers. He had little in common with Leland Vanhorn anyway, beacause Matador committed most of his murders in prison. But still. Maybe you can name a couple examples?

4. Is there some kind of psychological portraits of in-game maniacs? For example: Matchmaker looks like he experience serious troubles with women. And that's the reason why male mannequins are distorted on his scenes. Also it looks like his conviction of modern society: again, first crime scene is obviously a date scene. Girl in attractive clothes, men in tuxedo — it's all about one-night sex, because kid dummies are scattered around with no faces. Some statement on childfree policy theme for me — although it can be just an artistic choice and no hidden meaning there)

5. I read about your intention make a Identity-inspired plot twist where it turned out that Ethan was chasing himself — he was SKX. Dont you remember other crazy ideas that did not live up to the release version?

6. Why final choice have no impact on ending? It seems like there should be a difference, but the idea died in crunch or something.

And again, sorry for a large text, but I'm dying to ask this!

element

I'll take a shot. These are just opinions.

1. The game is all about violence and fear of urbanism. Are there any specific events or trends in America of those times that served as the starting point for this? Escalating criminal atmosphere, increasing number of drug addicts and homeless people, easing firearms control?
Nothing jumps out in terms of events in terms of real events. I think the creative team was heavily influenced by a number of things including the movie Se7en and the TV show CSI.

2. Dead Space developers studied photographs of war chronicles and modern morgues to recreate distorted bodies of necromorphs. Have your team explored crime scene photography? Or photos of these vulnerable population groups to create such horrific enemies?
I'm sure the art team looked at tons of material similar to what the Dead Space team did. Given we were working on FEAR around the same time there were lots of horror movies and documentaries floated around the office like Saw, Suspect Zero, Session 9, The Ring/Ringu, The Others, Dawn of the Dead (2004), 28 Days Later, Ghost Ship, Cube, Stir of Echos and tons of others.

3. Are there any prototypes for a serial killers? For example, I read about Matador Pedrinho, serial killer who killed serial killers. He had little in common with Leland Vanhorn anyway, beacause Matador committed most of his murders in prison. But still. Maybe you can name a couple examples?
not to my knowledge.

6. Why final choice have no impact on ending? It seems like there should be a difference, but the idea died in crunch or something.
Time. I'm sure there were tons of ideas on the table, but time always catches up to you.

Top Bottom