• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What happened to Kentucky Route Zero?

TVexperto

I wanted to play this game for a long time but was waiting for a complete sale so I just checked the steam site, and they still havent released the last two episodes (out of five), the first episode released was released over three years ago.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
The last update was that episode 4 was close to being finished... but that was weeks (months?) ago... Yeah the wait for each ep is brutal. When ep 5 eventually hits, I'm replaying all the previous episodes first, I forgot so much.

DocSeuss

They released a thing on their website a few weeks ago. It had a phone booth iirc.

I wish the game would include the random bonus stuff that they've released for free, like that play and the museum exhibit.

tensuke

The last update was that episode 4 was close to being finished... but that was weeks (months?) ago... Yeah the wait for each ep is brutal. When ep 5 eventually hits, I'm replaying all the previous episodes first, I forgot so much.

Looks like the dev tweeted that ep 4 was almost finished in November 2015, so around 5 months ago. I'd guess it's due to come out any time now, if true.

Zomba13

This is why I don't like episodic games and just wait for them all to be out before playing. I got the Kentucky Route Zero complete thing a while back when it showed up in a steam sale and haven't even started it because I'm waiting for all the acts because I know I'll play what there is now and forget almost everything by the time the next act is out (and then forget everything again while waiting for the next one).

I'm still interested in this game and they already have my money, I'm just pretending it isn't out until act 5 is released.

pargonta

some developers used the success of episodic gaming and crowdfunding to expand their own projects, to try and fully realize their vision or maximize the potential for business success or limit business risk.

a parallel may be the hollywood strategy of breaking up the third film in a trilogy into 2 parts and releasing them separately, delaying the completion of the project as a whole.

i'm still upset it doesn't look like the initial claymation lol. but ill play it when it is all complete if it comes to console.

This is why I don't like episodic games and just wait for them all to be out before playing. I got the Kentucky Route Zero complete thing a while back when it showed up in a steam sale and haven't even started it because I'm waiting for all the acts because I know I'll play what there is now and forget almost everything by the time the next act is out (and then forget everything again while waiting for the next one).

I'm still interested in this game and they already have my money, I'm just pretending it isn't out until act 5 is released.

Same here. Gotta wait and I haven't even bought it yet, but definitely plan to. I would die waiting this long for each episode if this had happened to Life is Strange (which I didn't have to wait for at all, luckily)

I look forward to walking in almost blind.

Can't really compare most episodic games to Kentucky Route Zero, as KRZ is pretty out there in each episode and each feels standalone. Not exactly a linear easily defined plot. Also, they're hella inspired. No wonder they've inspired many devs by now.

Cardboard Computer is just 3 people (Jake Elliott, Tamas Kemenczy, and Ben Babbitt), keep that in mind.

bounchfx

I'm excited for the last one to come out but to be honest stuff like this makes me less likely to support the developer in the future if it's another episodic game. I do not consider the timeline they are on to be reasonable. Either give better, more realistic estimates, or price your game lower/let people buy per episode.

FelipeMGM

Have they talked about bringing it to consoles?

Lets hope they do a crazy thing like when releasing EPV they also release the whole game on console at the same time

Here's hoping episode 4 is out soon, I feel like each episode takes longer to be made than the last.

I may just wait until it's all out and play start to finish, since I've forgotten pretty much everything about the first three episodes, story wise.

I'm glad this type of release schedule works for some people people - and I understand why small/indie devs would release this way - but it's not my bag. As much as I'm excited to eventually play this game, its kind of the poster child for why I avoid episodic games until they're finished. I hate waiting week-to-week for TV shows too, so I just wait until the whole season is out and binge-watch sans commercials (commercials = ewww).

daveo42

Banned
I check the game's page and Cardboard Computer's twitter a couple times a week after they announced being close to finished with episode 4. I kind of got lucky in buying the game and then never playing it till well after episode 3, but the wait for any kind of follow up has been hard. I can understand why people would feel upset that this game has yet to finish after being in development for several years, but this game is something absolutely special. The work they have done so far has been inspiring from both a gameplay and storytelling perspective. Especially from the story telling perspective. It's one of a few must play games that I feel everyone should try once it's 100% complete.

Following their twitter, btw, has had a few updates from in-game pics or location. The last one being in March. I can feel it getting closer and am aching for my fix.

BinaryTB

Neo Member
This game is the reason why I stopped purchasing episodic games until ALL episodes were released. Kentucky Route Zero is especially bad since the game's story/characters/world is so out there, literally have to replay the previous episodes every couple years whenever the next episode is released just to understand what the heck happened.

I just stopped caring, won't be returning to this game. Shame really.

daevv

I played through the first two a few years ago (2013). Been waiting for the 4th and 5th episodes for awhile now. Not gonna replay it till the 5th one is released as I'll have forgot everything by then.

spekkeh

Banned
I think I actually bought the season pass when the first one came out.

I played that one, thought it was kind of boring, but was interested how it would continue. Lost my interest somewhere in the long wait for the second episode and now I just don't care anymore.

atomsk

Party Pooper
This has been on my steam wishlist since July 21st 2013

It's been so long that the episode 1 Giant Bomb quick look featured Ryan Davis ;_;

I am a patient man.

taoofjord

How in the world are they able to financially justify continued development on this game? I hope this isn't their only source of income. It was a pretty inexpensive game to begin with and here they are still working on it while only making money from the people who never picked it up (and I'd wager the audience is relatively niche).

I wonder if they regret their pricing. Either way, I feel bad for them.

long wait doesn't bother me too much, the episodes don't feel as connected as something like a telltale adventure for example.

such a good experience going through these, it wears it's david lynch influence on its sleeve. though I gotta say enough is enough, they've spent far too long on this last one. i think it's been 2 years? from their twitter it seems like it will be soon now.

jblank83

KRZ developers discussing why Act 4 has taken such a long time:

https://www.engadget.com/2016/02/16/kentucky-route-zero-act-4-interview/
Elliott carefully drops slivers of information about the fourth act: It takes place in entirely new settings with a lot of new characters, and it has fresh mechanics. These mechanics aren't superficial spectacles, either. Think back to the end of Act 3 (take your time; it's been awhile): Conway and friends find a mold-powered supercomputer called Xanadu that basically functions as a separate video game within Kentucky Route Zero itself. That's one example of what Elliott means when he talks about "new mechanics."

The new settings take up a lot of time, too. In the previous three episodes, Cardboard Computer was able to reuse some environments as players traveled among known locations. Not so in Act 4.

And then there's the technical side of things. To make these new features function properly, Elliott and Kemenczy had to overhaul the game's dialogue and movement systems. Elliott rewrote the dialogue engine -- "It looks the same and it hopefully feels the same. Hopefully it feels a little bit better," he says -- and Kemenczy created a new "blocking manager" that allows him to get more emotions and gestures out of the characters.

"And there's a lot of stuff that I think will be obvious when you play it, these new experimental things that we don't want to get into until it's out," Elliot says.

jblank83

They could turn it into glorified text adventure and I'd still be in.

It sort of already is. Actually, and I say this as someone who likes KRZ, it has less gameplay than an actual text adventure. That's my only real criticism of the game: it lacks any real gameplay. However as a story and an artistic experience, it's wonderful.

Anyway, I've been unhappy with the wait, but the other episodes were so good that I can tolerate it.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
At this point, the wait has been so long, that I might just stick it out and wait til ep5 is done, and replay the entire thing. I don't feel like going through this long of a wait for ep5.

Kyonashi

Anyone waiting for Act 5 before they buy is honestly doing themselves a disservice.

This isn't the kind of game you'd want to marathon the whole thing of - it's not necessarily a single story in five chapters, it's more like a tale with five volumes.

Falchion

I'll wait for the whole season before I play. Waiting a few months for Telltale is one thing but years is another.

By the time it's finished it may be my favorite videogame all time.

I've never felt as connected or strongly about any game. It's a fine work of art.

MizzouRah

I wanted to play this game for a long time but was waiting for a complete sale so I just checked the steam site, and they still havent released the last two episodes (out of five), the first episode released was released over three years ago.

Have you purchased it yet?

Anyone waiting for Act 5 before they buy is honestly doing themselves a disservice.

This isn't the kind of game you'd want to marathon the whole thing of - it's not necessarily a single story in five chapters, it's more like a tale with five volumes.
I'm not convinced. I completely forgot what happened in previous acts. I am not sure whether to restart or just continue playing. It's not an ideal situation.

Kyonashi

I'm not convinced. I completely forgot what happened in previous acts. I am not sure whether to restart or just continue playing. It's not an ideal situation.

I don't know, I think it IS ideal. They're all mostly standalone, so you don't NEED to remember the others, but if you wanted to, replaying them is just a valid option. Therefore there isn't a wrong way to go about it, replay the last ones or don't, nothing is lost.

I'd argue it's a lot more like the cinema of David Lynch, trying to dissect and make sense of the plot and narrative will get you nowhere, you'll have a much better experience if you relax and let yourself soak in the atmosphere. It's about emotional response rather than a strict plot.

It's basically the yin to Telltale's yang of episodic titles.

Denton

I own this game for like 6 years, finally saw it was finished, started playing....and it is boring as fuck. I am literally struggling to stay awake while "playing" it. 60 minutes in, nothing interesting happened, no deep storytelling or interesting atmosphere, gameplay is nonexistent, dialogues are dull.

Should I force myself to keep going? Does it get better?

Humdinger

I own this game for like 6 years, finally saw it was finished, started playing....and it is boring as fuck. I am literally struggling to stay awake while "playing" it. 60 minutes in, nothing interesting happened, no deep storytelling or interesting atmosphere, gameplay is nonexistent, dialogues are dull.

Should I force myself to keep going? Does it get better?

You bumped a 4-year old thread. I just bought this game myself, though, so I'll throw in my two cents.

I'm feeling a bit let down. It's a completely story-oriented game, told through text. The game stands or falls completely on its story, and unless you are captivated by that, there isn't much else (art, maybe?) to hold your attention. There is no challenge/stimulation in the gameplay itself. It's all just a story, told through text. There are some dialog choices, but they don't have any impact on the story.

Personally, I didn't find the story all that interesting. I'm not a big fan of the purposefully vague/mysterious style of storytelling -- unless there is some big thematic reveal later that makes it all worthwhile. I've seen reviews that say the story never gets to that point, it's just a long string of supposedly atmospheric, weird stuff.

So I don't feel like continuing. It's my responsibility, though. I'm not blaming the game. I just didn't do enough homework before buying it. It is a quality effort for those who like this sort of style.

Last edited:
Top Bottom