• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What happened to Unreal Engine 4?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Particle counts are wayyyy down.

PC

KeMf60P.png

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dD9CPqSKjTU&feature=player_detailpage#t=145s

PS4

owz2L4E.png

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8saq9O4pWPQ&feature=player_detailpage#t=7s

Was the unreal engine on ps4 running on 4gb or 8gb

Spongebob

Banned
So how exactly did Sony answer Epic's love letter if they're downgrading their work?

Unless this demo was a obvious rush job.

Considering that certain parts don't even have textures I'm willing to bet that Epic slapped this together very quickly.

sueil

I think people need to readjust their expectations of this coming generation. Cryteks comments a few weeks back about 500 dollar consoles not matching thousands of dollars in hardware gaming PC's makes sense from a logic point of view and could become clear soon.

nasos_333

pcOyz34.jpg

avermediacenter20110414q.jpg

kameo_62.jpg

geow32011100921134467co.jpg

Anyone that has played Gears 3 cant possibly believe that a next gen system with 8GB ram will have textures 100x worst than an xbox 360 game with 512MB and vastly slower ram

And Gears 3 is an actual game, not a tech demo (same for Kameo, all pics are in game)

It is just a rushed early demo they put together for the show probably

"The UE4 demo is running on PC, specifically an Intel Core i7 processor with an NVIDIA GTX680 and 16GB of RAM"

EDIT: Beaten

Gtx680 alone costs more than $450, the pc built around it would be $1000 but I bet in 3 years unreal games on ps4 will look better then that demo

It was the same case 6 years ago a $1000-$1500 pc would have had better gfx than a 599 console

Sorral

So how exactly did Sony answer Epic's love letter if they're downgrading their work?

Unless this demo was a obvious rush job.

Have you seen the interview done by Geoff with Mark Rein from Epic? He seemed to be really happy with the newly announced 8GB.

This demo does seem rushed. The textures or shadows cannot simply be that taxing on hardware. At least, I don't think so. Unless they went for more light over the textures.

Reiko

Banned
Anyone that has played Gears 3 cant possibly believe that a next gen system with 8GB ram will have textures 100x worst than an xbox 360 game with 512MB and vastly slower ram

And Gears 3 is an actual game, not a tech demo (same for Kameo, all pics are in game)

It is just a rushed early demo they put together for the show probably

The original tech demo on PC also had crap textures in places.

Have you seen the interview done by Geoff with Mark Rein from Epic? He seemed to be really happy with the newly announced 8GB.

This demo does seem rushed. The textures or shadows cannot simply be that taxing on hardware. At least, I don't think so. Unless they went for more light over the textures.

More light should have produced more shadows.

Sorral

More light should have produced more shadows.

Yes.. The thing is that there are shadows in other parts of the demo, but where there aren't, they are pretty much turned off(and isn't this also where the bad textures were? looking at the pictures above.)

Edit: The point I am trying to make is that this looks unoptimized and very rushed. I mean, really you guys think that they could not have added textures to this part to be more specific?

5n6BAXG.png

Reiko

Banned
Yes.. The thing is that there are shadows in other parts of the demo, but where there aren't, they are pretty much turned off(and isn't this also where the bad textures were? looking at the pictures above.)

Edit: The point I am trying to make is that this looks unoptimized and very rushed. I mean, really you guys think that they could not have added textures to this part to be more specific?

5n6BAXG.png

I get what you're saying.

Killzone 4 looked more impressive, and it was in it's alpha stage.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Could someone explain why Carmack isn't the one who the industry goes to for an engine, and Epic is? I'm asking because I'm just in the dark about what happened to him trying to compete with the Unreal engine after all this time, but I guess past Quake 2 engine its been total domination by Epic.

Blizzard

Banned
Could someone explain why Carmack isn't the one who the industry goes to for an engine, and Epic is? I'm asking because I'm just in the dark about what happened to him trying to compete with the Unreal engine after all this time, but I guess past Quake 2 engine its been total domination by Epic.
I respect Carmack for his work back in the day, but I really don't think he's been dominant for many years. RAGE had poor-to-mediocre reception, Brink was one of my only Steam purchases I've ever really wished I hadn't bought, and so on. On the other hand I think there are at least a couple of UE3 games that are fairly well regarded, similarly with the Crysis series, and both Epic and Crytek have had success selling their engines to various markets while Carmack hasn't ever aimed for that route as far as I know.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
It doesn't matter if it was running on 4GB or 8GB, comparing it to a high end PC is ridiculous. There were always going to be some limits to what the next gen consoles can do, and even Epic understands this.

Margalis

Banned

Unreal Engine is easy to use, it has a lot of tools that cover a lot of bases and it's easy for artists and level designers to hack together something decent.

Unreal Engine became the most popular licensed engine because Epic made that their business. Id doesn't aggressively license the way Epic does.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Regardless of what they did to it, this thing in motion looked highly impressive, especially the part with lava, snow and breaking ice. There's also a solid chance that this time it was running at full 1080p as opposed to 1920x540 as it was in case of Elemental (go download video off of nvidias website if you don't believe me, it's clearly half res)

I think people need to readjust their expectations of this coming generation. Cryteks comments a few weeks back about 500 dollar consoles not matching thousands of dollars in hardware gaming PC's makes sense from a logic point of view and could become clear soon.

this is such a "duh" comment.

but it summarises any thing that can be said about the engine - well, it works and scaled down to the ps4 and looks great. nit picking or no nit picking

I hope the demo was rushed cause it's much worst then pc version. It probably doesn't use realtime GI either for ps4 so that's another downgrade and it shows. They better optimize this engine to look better and work well at 60 fps cause most studios will use this engine so it's very important.

DasMarcos

Banned
Now that I've seen these shot by shot comparisons it really does tell shed light on the differences consoles will have graphically from their PC counterparts. But that is to be expected I guess. Just interesting to see the concept tangibly.

i-Lo

Given how KZ4 pre-alpha footage designed around 3.5GB GDDR5 had more particle effects than the Elemental demo, all I can say that it looks like a rushed port job.

After Mark Rein came in and expressed his elation to Geoff (GT) about Sony's decision to go with 8GB GDDR5, it became clear that the demo was not built around that kind of spec.

I suggest waiting for E3 for a better showing. While it may not be exactly like what was shown off in the original PC release with GTX680, it should be markedly better than what we saw at that press conference.

I take it you haven't seen the new KZS demo. Beacause quite honestly outside Crysis 3 there is absolutely nothing on the PC that comes even close to KZS.

Disagree. I thought Second Son's skin shader was better than KZSF's (NPCs) and Panta Rhei was truly something to behold (which is why I am very sceptical).

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
I wouldn't consider it to be a downgrade already, more like the original demo was running on a PC, and this was running on actual PS4 devkit, which means they are still porting to it.

I doubt any games were running on a dev kit in the demo.

Yasae

Banned
I wouldn't consider it to be a downgrade already, more like the original demo was running on a PC, and this was running on actual PS4 devkit, which means they are still porting to it.

I doubt any games were running on a dev kit in the demo.
Let's say this rough build is the actual performance we get. Is that bad?

Seems like a rush job from Epic to get UE4 running on PS4 in time for the show.

I really don't see the PS4 having trouble with the elemental demo we saw.

orioto

Good Art™
Or maybe their particule system is massively unoptimized and so resourceful that it was killing the console.

Like that benchmark with the versus fight with robots that runs pretty bad cause it's full of silly effects everywhere and doesn't even look that impressive. tech demos are more about stress effects and trying to put the more thing they can, that having an optimized pretty result.

madmackem

Rushed job, they will have had a deadline to get it running something, rather than the time they had to get it running on a super pc. Still looked fantastic and a good indication of what we can expect.

Where are the "haha I told you ps4 would outperform PC at launch" people? They're not in this thread for some reason. Probably busy posting downsampled 800x600 gifs of the KZ demo and calling it better looking than Crysis 3.

Of course a GPU at 2x the tflops is going to outperform another. I keep seeing all this DDR5 talk and while yes, it helps, you're not going to see impossibilities occur. Regardless, there's plenty of time for this to be polished for all of the platforms, and I'm sure it'll look even better. Especially considering its in development. I have no doubt the PS4 version will look better than the PS4 shots in the OP. By how much though, not sure.

Portugeezer

Where are the "haha I told you ps4 would outperform PC at launch" people? They're not in this thread for some reason. Probably busy posting downsampled 800x600 gifs of the KZ demo and calling it better looking than Crysis 3.

Of course a GPU at 2x the tflops is going to outperform another. I keep seeing all this DDR5 talk and while yes, it helps, you're not going to see impossibilities occur. Regardless, there's plenty of time for this to be polished for all of the platforms, and I'm sure it'll look even better. Especially considering its in development. I have no doubt the PS4 version will look better than the PS4 shots in the OP. By how much though, not sure.
Maybe it's just me, but I was surprised by the PS4's performance. Just a few months ago many many people thought it would only match a medium PC because console companies couldn't get a good price if they had any better.

PS4 checked the next gen boxes, it runs the next gen middleware engines. PS4 is close to a current high end (judging from the tech demos it runs), it's not the highest of course, no console ever will match the best PC's you can match and in a year or two the gap will be even bigger.

My PC is a 5850 1GB, Phenom II X4 840, 4GB DDR3. PS4 out performs it, and if they get it at £300 - £400 then it will be cheaper alternative to upgrading my gaming PC. And looking at the Steam surveys, many PC gamers don't match PS4 capabilities so they will also need to upgrade their PC once the next gen consoles increase lowest common denominator.

Coolwhip

Banned
So the UE4 demo was misleading, not surprising. The PS4 doesn't have lower specs than Epic could have wished for and rushing out the demo doesn't sound like a good excuse to me. If they can't even fix a simple tech demo in time, what does that say about the engine?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom