• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What happened to Unreal Engine 4?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It still looks very impressive to me, considering everything in this thread. In motion it looked great.

Still frames are obviously way easier to nitpick but I think it still looks damn good.

I'm also of the thought that it's only going to look better over time.

lefantome

The second part of the tech demo, the one with the terrain crack is REALLY disappointing: low polygons and ridicolous texture quality.

I think we will see UE3 games for some years and maybe UE4 games using a similar renderer.

It's not so bad because UE3 has improved a lot and UE4 tools seems to be awesome.

DieH@rd

Banned
Eurogamer is claiming that Knack is using UE4
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-02-20-playstation-4-action-platformer-knack-revealed

iJzvbt8D0r4Jl.gif

ibvU6EeXzYe1ZP.gif

Knack being a UE4 title would really surprise me, because usually the unreal engines are incomplete for the while before they're optimized for console hardware. Also, japanese SCE studios can develope their own engine, and would probably do so as to create developer tools simultaneously in the process.

Vaporak

Could someone explain why Carmack isn't the one who the industry goes to for an engine, and Epic is? I'm asking because I'm just in the dark about what happened to him trying to compete with the Unreal engine after all this time, but I guess past Quake 2 engine its been total domination by Epic.

People don't buy UE3 licenses because of the engine, they do it because of the tool set and support offered by epic.

Portugeezer

So the UE4 demo was misleading, not surprising. The PS4 doesn't have lower specs than Epic could have wished for and rushing out the demo doesn't sound like a good excuse to me. If they can't even fix a simple tech demo in time, what does that say about the engine?

Unreal Engine has always felt limited to me. Usually it's more about being developer friendly than being the best engine out there, but Crytek and CryEngine are starting to give it a run for its money (CryEngine looks the better Engine, but I wonder if it's as easy to use)

Xun

Not surprising this happened.

Whilst Epic have managed to make great engines, I do question their artistry at times, and I certainly don't believe they're the ones who can properly showcase their engine to its fullest potential.

spwolf

Where are the "haha I told you ps4 would outperform PC at launch" people? They're not in this thread for some reason. Probably busy posting downsampled 800x600 gifs of the KZ demo and calling it better looking than Crysis 3.

Of course a GPU at 2x the tflops is going to outperform another. I keep seeing all this DDR5 talk and while yes, it helps, you're not going to see impossibilities occur. Regardless, there's plenty of time for this to be polished for all of the platforms, and I'm sure it'll look even better. Especially considering its in development. I have no doubt the PS4 version will look better than the PS4 shots in the OP. By how much though, not sure.

lol, 99 out 100 of those people were master race saying how their 2-3-4 year old computers will easily show better graphics, not other way around.

The ps4 unreal engine 4 tech demo was running on a ps4.

The previous version as running on a pc. At best the ps4 is a mid range pc when it comes out.

thuway

so if Knack it's using U4 I bet there is room for improvements before launch.

Honestly, this is Unreal Engine 4. Epic has their own issues to deal with trying sell the damn license. Sony not having finalized the machine, running on under powered devkits (which is a first, since last gen they were far overpowered), and increasing RAM without notice- will give us a better idea come E3. Something tells me though, you won't see the Elemental Demo again.

Either way, every game looked much more impressive than this wet garbage. Unreal Engine 3 was boring this gen, and I'm sure will have the same flaccid DNA next gen.

2San

Unreal Engine has always felt limited to me. Usually it's more about being developer friendly than being the best engine out there, but Crytek and CryEngine are starting to give it a run for its money (CryEngine looks the better Engine, but I wonder if it's as easy to use)
Unreal Engine games tend to be better optimized as well. CryEngine games tend to run like shit. Almost useless for consoles. It has improved a lot by now though.

Portugeezer

Unreal Engine games tend to be better optimized as well. CryEngine games tend to run like shit. Almost useless for consoles. It has improved a lot by now though.

I think on current consoles Crytek tried too much. But I don't remember many UE3 games running at a smooth 30fps this gen, they also had frame drops.

thuway

Fuck me just saw this:

http://beyond3d.com/showpost.php?p=1712718&postcount=88

Originally Posted by almighty
And?

The original spec PS4 had 4Gb so that would be the same as a PC with a 2Gb GTX680 and 2Gb system RAM.

I seriously, seriously doubt that this demo uses over 2Gb of main RAM, especially as the demo might not even be 64bit.

The GTX680 is just a much much faster GPU then what's inside PS4 and that's what the problem is, not lack of memory :rolleyes:

and than EDIT - an "insider":

Honestly you have no clue on what you are talking about. This demo was created/running on approximation hardware - not final dev/PS4 silicon. Also, the demo was created within a constrained timeframe for showing. Just for sh**s and giggles, the demo only used 27-29% of the AH resources - unoptimized. Before you ask, there is no link, I am the link.

Somewhat related, did anyone compare the differences between Luminous running on the PS4 dev kit and the version running on a GTX680?

2San

I think on current consoles Crytek tried too much. But I don't remember many UE3 games running at a smooth 30fps this gen, they also had frame drops.
Did bigger titles did, with Mortal Kombat running 60fps. Even the games that had framedrops still ran and had better IQ then whatever the Cryengine produced. They tried to much on PC's as well, it was always up to the modding community to get a good performance/graphics ratio out of the crysis games. Dice is a way better the developer imo.

It wouldn't be hard to imagine EPIC quickly throwing together that PS4 demo for Sony's show. That might explain some of the differences we're seeing.

Pagusas

Elden Member
DOF should not be used. It isn't benefit imo.
Same with motion blur.

wow no, your opinion is extremely wrong. DOF is a required element in framing and making things look there best in a visual medium. Its not always needed based off the shot type, but it has many places in modern media and games.

kuYuri

I have no doubt that Epic will melt eyeballs when they show off UE4 with their flagship title, ala Gears of War for UE3.

iceatcs

wow no, your opinion is extremely wrong. DOF is a required element in framing and making things look there best in a visual medium. Its not always needed based off the shot type, but it has many places in modern media and games.

For cut-scene, or fix camera movement, I can understand.
But the problem is your eyes can freely move around away from cross-aim (centre of screen), some area outside cross-aim are not clear by DOF.

Motion blur is useful for lack smooth animation or low framerate.

Hmmm...

http://forum.beyond3d.com/showthread.php?p=1712718#post1712718
Honestly you have no clue on what you are talking about. This demo was created/running on approximation hardware - not final dev/PS4 silicon. Also, the demo was created within a constrained timeframe for showing. Just for sh**s and giggles, the demo only used 27-29% of the AH resources - unoptimized. Before you ask, there is no link, I am the link.

http://forum.beyond3d.com/showpost.php?p=1713046&postcount=144
No I'm not Mark - nor a Epic developer. Ask yourself this? Would it be far fetch for a school teacher to know her City Councilmen/woman? Would it be far fetch for a City Councilmen/woman to know a State Senator? Would it be far fetch for a Police Officer to know an FBI agent? Would it be far fetch for an FBI agent to know a CIA agent? In other words, I don't have to be in the actual hen house to know what's going on. Let's just say I'm into hardware technology. :D

Anyhow, I've been lurking around Beyond3D for years, never cared to register until recently. I'm not here to fuel any one side (PC Vs. PS3 Vs. Xbox or Intel Vs. AMD Vs. Nvidia). I'm here to offer additional information... be it firsthand or secondhand. Sometimes I will have to be vague about things - just because I'm not stupid. Additionally, I will never belittle anyone here, not my thing. I've seen over the years, people (respectful people of the industry), lose their calm over internet nonsense. Taking pictures of pistol's in their hand's and threatening other board members.

Back on topic. I stand by all my comments ...that's all I can say. ;)

Piers

Even if it is downgraded somewhat, the particles and lighting in motion is sexual. I'm more interested in how the environment is formed and effected. I want to leaves to actually look like leaves for once - likewise, no more sprite-based grass/plants.

Really love to see how developers might push water physics though. Rivers and waterfalls already look a lot nicer, water leaking in realtime would be killer.

It's weird, Agni Philosophy didn't see a particle downgrade on PS4, but UE4 did.

WTF?
No one knows if Agni's was definitely really running on PS4 hardware, Square could easily have used the same footage as before and I wouldn't be surprised if they lied about it, as opposed to UE4 which based on what was shown definitely wasn't the same demo shown off on PC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom