• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What happened to Unreal Engine 4?

Status
Not open for further replies.

antonz

the smoke is missing, and they've added a dirty les + lensflare filter on the ps4 shot.

and entire textures have been replaced on the castle. There is alot of differences between the PC and Console shots.

Its expected though Top of the line PCs that Epic works with have 2-3x the teraflop performance of the consoles coming out

(screencaps off youtube)

elemental:
KqJfGQD.jpg

ps4:
G0rqfJn.jpg

i was bummed to see it downgraded a little. though it was expected.

Can someone please help me count the particles so we can put this to rest? I'll start on the left of the screen and maybe someone else could do the right side and we'll meet in the middle.

cybamerc

Will start substantiating his hate
Looks underwhelming compared to pretty much everything else shown at the event to be honest. I'm sure PS4 will run UE4 just fine, though.

is anyone surprised a highend PC beat out a next gen console?

Proof purchase... move along.

Still looked pretty good though in motion. I think that is how it will be for all ps4 family games. They will lakc some of the IQ and more precise effects that PCs can afford, but will generally look awesome in motion due to post processing and what not.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Some things were really impressive, but I did find the textures to be somewhat "lacking". Is it because of the different art style that was presented in the tech demo?

ShowDog

While the capability is there I think games are going to focus less and less on insane high end visuals like these demos. I'm more interested in support to aid the indie community and people trying new things than the latest 'cinematic experience AAAAA' nonsense. The reason: while there is obviously been tons of work and money poured into this tech demo, it's still easy to nitpick and find flaws. The level of detail is simply too difficult to maintain.

At this stage it looks like the problems with this UE4 demo have to do with lack of time / being rushed compared to anything else. I mean entirely removing the castle texture instead of just replacing it doesn't make a lick of sense and shows a lack of optimization.

They lighting did seemed all different to me in the new demo. Didn't noticed the lack or dof or the textures, though.

In some shots, the lighting now looks very akin to UE3...

But at least this shows the demo was actually running in a Ps4 devkit (and was probably made with 4GB in mind), and still looked incredible.

Ahasverus

Still ugly. Ugh I hate this engine, and now it looks worse, I've seen PC games looking much better and not even in very high. Kz on the other hand...

Izick

It had no real restrictions before besides what PC could be built, but now it has to accommodate a real set of hardware.

Low quality motion blur: check
ugly textures: check
jaggies up the ass: check
specular highlights instead of actual lighting: check
the natural look from the GI seems gone too, so I guess it was really axed.

I fucking hate UE3, this looks like more of the same.
Go away epic :\

elemental demo plus plus? Marketing spin plus plus.

DirtRiver

You need to remember they have only had the development kits for a short time now and that the tools for coding to the metal of the PS4 are most likely still in relative infancy.

bee

i'd say its news that a high end pc part out performs a ps4 already, historically the consoles have always had an advantage for an amount of time (however small), ps4 is 8? months away from launch and is already down against a high end graphics card, which itself will be outperformed by the gtx 780 that will supposedly launch around the same time as ps4

Zeth

It is different from previous generations. Can someone remind me of the situation when PS3/360 launched? I believe they were on par with ~$400 or more consumer GPUs for a period of time.

This time we get 150 euros equivalent (and that is only because amd is cashing in for the last year + and keeping prices high instead of launching their new lineup in time, it should be less by now), by the time ps4 releases that card 'll probably be 100 euros if the 8xxx series is out.

I'm amazed at how awesome killzone looks all considering, way exceeded my expectations
The racing game and this gimped ue4 demo are in line with the kind of dissapointment I expected.

It is different from previous generations. Can someone remind me of the situation when PS3/360 launched? I believe they were on par with ~$400 or more consumer GPUs for a period of time.

More like $350 but yeah, close to that. Both the 360 and ps3 were pretty high-end for their time.

BLAZER

Maybe both console manufacturers should have waited just one more year and released it in 2014.

It would probably make all the difference just look at the Wii U that released last year.

i'd say its news that a high end pc part out performs a ps4 already, historically the consoles have always had an advantage for an amount of time (however small), ps4 is 8? months away from launch and is already down against a high end graphics card, which itself will be outperformed by the gtx 780 that will supposedly launch around the same time as ps4

When PS2 launched you already had Geforce 3 in the market. PS2´s graphics processor didn´t even have pixel shaders. Wen PS3 launched you had Geforce 8800 GTX in the market that was more than double capable in benchmarks due to being unified... The only one that was more capable than PCs in the market at launch time was PS1, launched in 1994, prior to generalization of graphics accelerators in the PC space.

To be honest, the original showing looked good but not particularly spectacula, and I don't see that much of a difference. Deep Down and Agni Philosophy tech demos looked more impressive, so I can't see why they would need to cut back this. Certainly taking out some of the snow etc can't be much to do with system specs here...can't imagine that took much to generate

abasm

Yeah it's not quite the 680s level. I don't think it takes advantage of the full ram setup though. We'll see closer to launch but I'm sure there are some texture upgrades in store.

Well, at this point, PCs should improve considerably over the next console cycle, as developers tune their middleware to do more with less. For preliminary stuff, this is extremely impressive, and it's only going to get better on both sides of the equation.

scently

In latest EDGE was mentioned that realtime GI is out.

It is out in as much as they are changing the technique used to achieve it. The former technique, SVO, was too expensive, computationally, even for very high end pcs. It was not feasible for actual game development. It will be replaced by a cheaper technique.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals

You do understand that even modern mid-high end rigs easily trounce any next gen platform right?

Even my 2500k which I just sold held me for 2 years. Rock solid. I just built a 6 core CPU, 16GB memory, 2 GPU PC. I have no reservations on saying that this kind of HW easily mangles next gen.

This isn't really my argument though. I am actually happy we are going to see the baseline go up significantly so we can start seeing more truly amazing games on PC as the norm and not the exception. Right now, most current gen games look great on PC but are still mostly designed for consoles. There are more than a few games which add better textures and effects for PC but that is not the norm. With this new round of consoles, a lot of catching up has occurred and we should be seeing modern techniques refined more.

These are some of the most exciting times for the enthusiast gamers and PC folk.

BLAZER

The other thing to notice is that the hills are a lot worse and there are a lot less "realistic" looking snow particles because there are none in the PS4 version.

I think the initial excitement for me has worn off and I'm starting to believe they should have waited another year or at least released it when specific targets in graphic performance greater than what we see in this demo were met. One of the dev's were saying this will be more of a "social" console generation...I'm starting to believe him. sigh

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom