• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What has Sony done to advance gaming as a whole?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kagey K

Banned
gbROeUU.jpg

I know everyone here loves Sony and I’ll probably get reported to hell for this.

But what has Sony done for gaming that nobody else could have done?

How have they advanced the gaming community to make it a better place?

Where are we going to show how gaming can be better under Sonys rules?

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
I know everyone here loves Sony and I’ll probably get reported to hell for this.

But what has Sony done for gaming that nobody else could have done?

How have they advanced the gaming community to make it a better place?

Where are we going to show how gaming can be better under Sonys rules?

Sony is the only console manufacturer that has focus on VR and spitting many games out. That's about it, and that's what wins the crowd.

Kagey K

Banned
Sony is the only console manufacturer that has focus on VR and spitting many games out. That's about it, and that's what wins the crowd.
But without them Vive would still be a thing. So would Oculus. It doesn’t advance gaming it just makes it worse then their counterparts.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
But without them Vive would still be a thing. So would Oculus. It doesn’t advance gaming it just makes it worse then their counterparts.

Well I agree with you, but that's the answer people always tell. I'm not a Sony fanboy but I keep hearing this as an argument all the time, so that's the reason from what I can tell.

cireza

Banned
Ms was the one that convinced Netflix to start making apps, had they not who knows where we would be right now on the streaming front.

Movies might be the last thing they wanted on a gaming console.
You did not game the point. Now I have to explain my stupid joke. Sony first party games = movies.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
For me personally, they give me great games that no other console give me, like ICO/SOTC/Last Guardian, Gravity Rush series, Bloodborne and third party exclusives like Persona, SMT Nocturne, Digital Devil Saga, God Hand and Drakengard series. For me it’s all about games, there is good reason why I chose Sony and Nintendo over XBox because they simply give me games I care about.

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned
For me personally, they give me great games that no other console give me, like ICO/SOTC/Last Guardian, Gravity Rush series, Bloodborne and third party exclusives like Persona, SMT Nocturne, Digital Devil Saga, God Hand and Drakengard series. For me it’s all about games, there reason chose Sony and Nintendo over XBox because they simply give me games I care about.
That doesn’t help advance gaming, in fact if they didn’t exist those 3rd party games would exist on other systems and might not have thier servers shut down.

All the 3rd party exclusives are a publisher choice, and the first party would just go to other publishers.

In the end that’s not Sony helping gaming that’s publishers helping Sony.

Last edited:

gifgaf

So does everyone else?

Sony have games that appeal to the majority, its that simple. I have all current consoles and some older ones but my PS4 gets the most playtime due to the games it has. As for multiplatform games I use a PC if i can. I would gladly play my other consoles more if they had the games that appealed to me, I have no allegiances to console manufacturers, I just want good games.

Kagey K

Banned
Sony have games that appeal to the majority, its that simple. I have all current consoles and some older ones but my PS4 gets the most playtime due to the games it has. As for multiplatform games I use a PC if i can. I would gladly play my other consoles more if they had the games that appealed to me, I have no allegiances to console manufacturers, I just want good games.

They really don’t, and you are going to see it more now, but all those used to be “exclusives” are tired of being exclusive. Now we will get to see what Sony first party is made out of.

Moving from 2D to 3D. Without the PS1 I think we would have been stuck with 2D games a lot longer.
N64 was out before and went 3D first.

bitbydeath

Moved gaming to 3D (PS1)
First online console in the world (PS2)
Introduced *free games with PS+ (PS3)
First VR console (PS4)

nkarafo

People accuse Nintendo and the Wii for bringing games to the non-gamers and (casuals) making gaming mainstream with whatever good or bad this means.

But it was Sony who did this with the original Playstation. They made games mainstream, a lot of people who thought games are for "nerds"or children would start gaming on the PS1 because it was trendy.

nkarafo

Moving from 2D to 3D. Without the PS1 I think we would have been stuck with 2D games a lot longer.
Could you elaborate?

3D was already here long before the PS1. The 3DO, Jaguar, 32X, Saturn all had 3D games, even older consoles and home computers had 3D games.

Moved gaming to 3D (PS1)
First online console in the world (PS2)
Introduced *free games with PS+ (PS3)
First VR console (PS4)
At least 3 out of 4 are false.

Last edited:

gifgaf

They really don’t, and you are going to see it more now, but all those used to be “exclusives” are tired of being exclusive. Now we will get to see what Sony first party is made out of.

They really do, sales prove that. I know I prefer the exclusives that Sony puts out.

Paasei

Developing first party games that are better than MS games (obviously my opinion) and that's the only thing I care about when I buy a console, (exclusive) games.

I have a PC for everything else it offers.

Kagey K

Banned
They really do, sales prove that. I know I prefer the exclusives that Sony puts out.
I think you might be having a hard time between “exclusive” and “exclusive exclusive” but hey if 2 games a year is a deal breaker then by all means go for it.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
That doesn’t help advance gaming, in fact if they didn’t exist those 3rd party games would exist on other systems and might not have thier servers shut down.

All the 3rd party exclusives are a publisher choice, and the first party would just go to other publishers.

In the end that’s not Sony helping gaming that’s publishers helping Sony.
It’s not really sony’s fault that third party games gets release on PlayStation over Xbox. DQXI came out on PS4 and PC and soon coming to Switch but not on Xbox, so who exactly at fault here?

ethomaz

Banned

lol

So much wrong in that post.

nkarafo

Look it up.
All four are correct.
There were already 3D games way before Sony's PS1. I already mentioned the Saturn, 32X, 3DO, etc. You even have 3D games on PCs in the early 90s and even the 16bit consoles.

First online console? You can trace that back in the early 80's. In Japan even the NES (famicom) had online.

I'll give you the VR since the Atari Jaguar only had prototypes and the Virtual Boy was a massive failure.

Last edited:

Aceofspades

Banned
Made gaming mainstream and moved it from "children" hobby to "all ages " entertainment.

Its funny when you look at how Sony entered VG business. Nintendo approched Sony to develop CDs for SNES then stab them in the back....Sony then goes to Sega , which ended up ignoring the deal because 'Sony doesn't know how to design hardware or gaming software according to them 🤣. Then came 1994 when Sony crushed both , made Sega quit hardware business all together, and ended a 10 year market dominance for Nintendo. Its quite a revenge tale .

O-N-E

I don't care what any corporation has "done" for the industry. I'm here for the games. Same reason why I wouldn't rate older, more poorly designed games above newer ones purely for the reason of innovation. Is it engaging and fun to play? Good.

gifgaf

I think you might be having a hard time between “exclusive” and “exclusive exclusive” but hey if 2 games a year is a deal breaker then by all means go for it.

God of war
Astrobot
Uncharted
Last of us
Firewal zero hour
Shadow of the colossus
Until Dawn
Bloodborne
Spiderman
Horizon zero dawn
Days gone

All Sony exclusive and all games I've enjoyed this generation, I'm not having a hard time, you are.

Kagey K

Banned
God of war
Astrobot
Uncharted
Last of us
Firewal zero hour
Shadow of the colossus
Until Dawn
Bloodborne
Spiderman
Horizon zero dawn
Days gone

All Sony exclusive and all games I've enjoyed this generation, I'm not having a hard time, you are.
And they could have all been made without Sony.

The only reason they were made for Playstation is because they are contractually forced to.

We see more and more that these companies don’t want to make games for Sony only so once thier contract ends they are jumping to PC and Xbox.

That isn’t good for the gaming industry.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom