• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What have been your top 10 favourite games this gen?

Ladioss

Maybe something like this :

- Bloodborne
- Zelda BOTW
- Total War Warhammer 2
- Hitman 2016
- Doom 2016
- Sekiro
- Yakuza 0
- Monster Hunter World
- Hollow Knight / Monster Boy and the Cursed Kingdom
- Underrail / Divinity OS2 / Disco Elysium

Franchise of the generation go to Senran Kagura, you will be dearly missed o>

Last edited:

Beer Baelly

Al Pachinko, Konami President
1.RDR2
2.GTA5
3.MGSV
4.Celeste
5.RE2
6.Inside
7.FH 4
8.DOSII: DE
9.WRoEF
10.TW3:WH

Last edited:

GOOD

Neo Member
No order.

God of War
BOTW
Overwatch
Halo 5
GT Sport
Witcher 3
Apex Legends
FH4
Horizon Zero Dawn
Super Mario Odyssey

Guilty_AI

Why would you recommend those two?
I've been wanting to try Crosscode for while, as a lot of people seem to really have enjoyed it. How is it?
There's no real catch with Crosscode, its just a really well made game.
Has lots of content, including a semi-open world with side-quests, puzzles and secrets.
Combat mechanics are tight, mixing brawlers, shoot 'em ups and JRPG mechanics (like levels, stats, elements and skill trees). There are some complaints about playing it with controller though (M&K is preferred), as well as how the game takes time-based puzzles a bit too far (you can adjust their difficulty however).
Great enemy/boss quantity and variety.
Good story and characters, as well as a charismatic MC.
Here's a review for more details
Keep in mind that it might not 'click' with everyone. The game plays heavily on 90's gaming nostalgia.

As for VA-11 Hall-A, its pretty much a visual novel.
Its has some great atmosphere with excellent soundtrack and art that calls back to pc-98 era, but thats about it for hooks.
You'll be reading text with some semi-static images on the background the majority of your time (as with most VNs), and you stay mainly for the story and characters, which are indeed pretty good.

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
There's no real catch with Crosscode, its just a really well made game.
Has lots of content, including a semi-open world with side-quests, puzzles and secrets.
Combat mechanics are tight, mixing brawlers, shoot 'em ups and JRPG mechanics (like levels, stats, elements and skill trees). There are some complaints about playing it with controller though (M&K is preferred), as well as how the game takes time-based puzzles a bit too far (you can adjust their difficulty however).
Great enemy and boss quantity and variety.
Good story and characters, as well as a charismatic MC.
Here's a review for more details
Keep in mind that it might not 'click' with everyone. The game plays heavily on 90's gaming nostalgia.

As for VA-11 Hall-A, its pretty much a visual novel.
Its has some great atmosphere with excellent soundtrack and art that calls back to pc-98 era, but thats about it for hooks.
You'll be reading text with some semi-static images on the background the majority of your time (as with most VNs), and you stay mainly for the story and characters, which are pretty good.
Wow, Crosscode seems to be just my kind of game, specially that part about the combat having various mechanics, reminds me of Hyper Light Drifter. Definetly gonna play it, so thanks!

As for the other one... sadly VNs are not my thing. The game looks pretty tho, and if it also has good music I might still try it down the line.

Mozzarella

I never liked the idea of choosing one game only and even ordering them does not suit my style.
Reviewing a generation for games, I would go into each year and mark the games that i really liked, then after marking them i will start eliminating the ones i dont think belong in the same tier as the top ones.
All these games have some issues but i will focus on what makes them essential to play imo. So its gonna be positive talk.

2014:
1) Alien: Isolation
I like the intense horror atmosphere in this game, the Alien is one of the best Horror stalkers and the setting is so good, space horror is special. The androids are also scary, the way they look at you from a far, music is faithful to the film which is an excellent film btw.

2015:
1) The Witcher 3
I already said a lot about this game in other threads, this open world RPG was a very memorable gaming experience for me, I played through all the games, so the third one felt rewarding in a good way, everything got improved, the gameplay and the cinematics and i liked the idea of the open world, the Witcher strong points are its interesting world, the variety of interesting characters you meet, and the best side quests in any open world game. 2 Amazing expansions, Hearts of Stone with its tightly written main story and much improved boss fights, and Blood and Wine overall package and amazing new area, i think Blood and Wine is my favorite DLC of all time. I also wrote 2 long reviews about it, due to how much i liked it.

2) Bloodborne
A very unique experience, I love Dark Souls (2011) equally but thinking objectively about it, Bloodborne is slightly better because of that amazing art direction and atmosphere, while the lore itself is better crafted in Dark Souls, Bloodborne is no short when it comes to that, its mysterious and intriguing. From a gameplay point its addicting and fun, i made many runs and enjoyed them. The weapons are carefully crafted, they are unique and very fun to play and try out.

3) SOMA
Frictional games took it to next level with this one, I still think Amnesia The Dark Descent is the scariest game i have ever played, and i still like it more than SOMA, but SOMA is no short of an amazing experience, And i say experience because you dont really play much, aside from solving some puzzles and interacting with the level you dont do much, so its more of an experience than a gameplay button mashing, the thing about this game is its writing, the story explores very deep themes and tries to provoke the player into thinking about existence and humans, adding a flavor of horror on it, with an interesting setting, its one of my favorites.

4) Ori and The Blind Forrest.
Superb art direction, one of the best platformers of the decade, the music is touching and i really enjoyed playing it, the most memorable about this one is the very very beautiful art style.

2016:
1) Inside
Playdead second game after Limbo, i played Limbo three times, each time i enjoyed my playthrough, I really enjoy their game design, they give you neat puzzles to solve and the game is not really long so you will not feel bored, the atmosphere is very fascinating and the art is very good as well.

2017:
1) Prey
The spritiual successor to System Shock, a space horror but this time the focus is not on scare factor but on gameplay and atmosphere, while the story is not really its main strength its there and its interesting to figure out what happened, some plot twists here and there. What i like about this game is the gameplay and how it offers many options to solve certain obstacles, the music fits really well with the game and the level design is clever. Its very underrated.

2) Divinity OS2
One of the best top down rpgs, not a big fan of the writing itself as i didnt like the main story and its side quests that much, but the turn based gameplay is some of the best ever made, if you are a fan of top down turn based games this is the game of the generation for you. The music is also nice.

3) Hollow Knight
Simply put this is my favorite platformer of the decade, its one of the best metroidvania i have ever played, the level design, the progression is neat, and the music is amazing. Its a very challenging game as well, it had some sections that i think are some of the hardest i have ever played, but after completing them, i had such feeling of accomplishment. Its definitely influenced by Dark Souls, its evident from the geo system and how it tries to present its lore. Amazing art direction as well. Excellent game.

4) Nier Automata
I have some issues with this game but overall its really very good game, the gameplay was fun and the story, i really liked the story it has, i still prefer the original one but from the year 2017 i believe this one deserves a shoutout.

2018:
1) Red Dead Redemption 2
A huge open world to explore, grounded in realism, its a very slow game but it also slowly immerses you in its setting, it the cinematic values of the story feel like something you expect from a old classic western film, the main character Arthur is one of the best protagonist in gaming, also the world is carefully crafted, its peak of the generation, the world looks very detailed.

2) Kingdom Come Deliverance
Open world realistic medieval rpg, I went into this game with low expectation because i heard and read many complaints, turns out this game is really good, i liked the role-playing and the progression, it rewards you well, you start out as a no body and slowly build yourself, the combat is cool, but takes time to get used to, the story is not complete, you get open ending but its still worth playing through, the story itself is really decent, it also has some great side quests. The game is not too dark or too serious but its not fun as well, its pretty much like real life, moments with ups and downs, it felt really good immersing myself into its world, the music is also lovely. Excited for the 2nd game.

2019:
1) Disco Elysium
Great writing rpg with social and political themes, a lot of different outcomes and great art direction.

2) Resident Evil 2 Remake
One of the best remakes ever made, the first Remake in 2002 is still my favorite by far, but this one nailed it as well, its a very good game overall, the level design and gameplay is as good as the RE1 RE2.

Have not played: Sekiro, Death Stranding, Pathologic 2. So dont ask me why i ignored them.
Looking forward for Sekiro.

2020:
1) Final Fantasy 7 Remake
I just finished this one recently, like 2 months ago, the original game is one of the best J-RPGs ever made, the gameplay is engaging and the minigames are fun to play, the music is among my favorite of the generation. I think the way they handle the story and how they split it and changed some parts kinda of prevents me from putting it on the top list, but overall i enjoyed my time with it very much, I like how stylish some of the characters are. (For now this will be in the highlights of 2020, until Cyberpunk 2077 gets released, so far FF7 Remake is my GOTY from this year) I should note that its a tier below, and it will go down to honorable mentions as soon as some other game from 2020 takes its place.

Honorable mentions:

2015:
1) Mortal Kombat X
I know this sound weird, what is this fighting game doing in my list, but i genuinely enjoyed my time with it, im not a big fan of fighting games but im surprisingly good at them, i used to play this game with my friends and because i was strong i enjoyed it, its my favorite mortal kombat game.
P.S I was a huge fighting gamer when i was in high school, i used to play a lot of fighting games and Street Fighter was my favorite one, i still enjoy landing combos and decimating the opponent.

2016:
1) Dark Souls 3
Its not as good as Bloodborne or the first Dark Souls mainly because it does not feel unique, the game itself however is really good, this is my most played game by Fromsoft simply because i enjoyed the multiplayer, the bosses are faster, the gameplay itself is more refined thanks to Bloodborne, and the DLC were good as well.

2) The Witness
I liked this game, but i need to go back to it, i think it may end up in my top list as well. Great puzzle game.

2017:
1) Persona 5
Stylish game with some of the best music ever in gaming, this game offered me some great parts and some really boring and mediocre parts so it would not end in my top list but it deserves a mention because i like those highs very much that its still memorable to me, and i consider it a good game overall.

2) Cuphead
Great platformer with unique cartonish classic art, the game is tough as hell as well, probably the hardest game of the generation not considering optional challenges.

3) The Legend of Zelda; BotW
Not my type of a game, but i have to acknowledge its good on its own, i dont think its GOTG material but the open world of this game is innovative and worth giving credit, the exploration is top notch. And the traversal and physics of the open world design is a benchmark in open world gaming.

2018:
1) God of War
Great gameplay, but has some issues here and there, still i think the game is really well made, i liked the characterization of Atreus and his father, although its not an original game and it takes some elements from successful games that came before i, i cant deny that its a well made game and i enjoyed my time with it.

Okay i got tired, i dont want to write more, this was long post.

Last edited:

Hestar69

1.Bloodborne
2.PUBG
3.TLOU2
4.Zelda:BOTW
5.Persona 5 Royal
6.Tales of Berseria
7.Ori & The Blind Forest
8.Horizon Zero Dawn
9.The last guardian
10. Tales of vesperia

Worst games this gen:
fortnite
fortnite
ohh yeah, fortnite
COD warzone
PUBG aswell.Devs really killed this game

Last edited:

MacReady13

God this will be hard...

In no particular order:

Astrobot.
Crash Bandicoot 4.
Mario Odyssey.
Doom (2016)
Titanfall.
God Of War.
The Evil Within.
Wolfenstein The New Order.
Spiderman.
Doom 64. (cheating here as I know it is a re-release but I put so much time into this game on PS4 it's not funny).

I must say that I have found this gen to be the weakest generation I've had the pleasure of being a part of, and I've been gaming as far back as Atari 2600 and ColecoVision. Some amazing games but overall I've not had the amazing time I've had in the past. I'm really hoping next gen is a killer.

Terenty

Rain World
Mgs 5
Death Stranding
Disco Elysium
Prey/Dishonored 2
The Evil Within
Wolfenstein New Order
Sekiro
Rdr 2
Deep Rock Galactic
Ori and the Blind Forest/the will of the Wisps

All great games, all made with passion and creativity, not chasing whatever is trendy right now.

Last edited:

stn

This is really tough but I'll try.

1. Nioh - PS4
2. The Witcher 3 - XBO
3. Yakuza Kiwami 2
4. Deus Ex: Mankind Divided - XBO
5. Nioh 2 - PS4
6. Street Fighter V - PS4
7. Injustice 2 - XBO
8. Mortal Kombat 11 - XBO
9. Final Fantasy 7 Remake - PS4
10. Tekken 7 - PS4

Honorable Mentions: Forza Horizon 2 (XBO), Spider-Man (PS4).

Still have to beat Sekiro, Bloodborne, Xenoblade Chronicles HD and 2, Battle Chasers: Night War, Dark Souls Trilogy, Pokemon Shield, and Dragon Quest 11, among many others, so list is subject to change.

DOSS216

1. Witcher 3
2. Red Dead Redemption 2
3. God of War
4. Bloodborne
5. LOU2
6. Metal Gear Solid V
7. Resident Evil 2 Remake
8. Uncharted 4
9. Ghost of Tsushima
10. Spiderman

Banned
in no specific order:

•Dark Souls 3 (might be the best game ever designed honestly)
•Doom 2016
•Doom Eternal
•TitanFall 2
•Apex Legends (the only good BR! :messenger_squinting_tongue:)
•Sunset Overdrive
•Bloodborne
•Breath of the Wild (even if you count the Switch as Next Gen, it was also on Wii U so suck it!)
•Sekiro
•Ni-Oh

honorable mentions:
Deus Ex: Mankind Divided, Spider-Man, Mario Odyssey, MGS5, Resident Evil 2, TitanFall 1, Warframe, Ratched and Clank, Cuphead, Ori and the Will of the Wisps, Shovel Knight

Last edited:
1. Bloodborne
2. Overwatch
3. Metal Gear Solid V
4. PREY
5. FFVII: Remake
6. Cuphead
7. God Of War
8. DOOM
9. The Witness
10. Resogun

NOTE: Omitted SOTC Remake from the list since it is ostensibly the same as the original, otherwise it would be No. 4. I also have not completed enough of either TW3 or RDR2 to form an opinion, hence their absence.

Last edited:
In no particular order:

Persona 5/Persona 5 Royal
Ghost of Tsushima
God of War
Nier: Automata
Spider-Man
Yakuza 0
Uncharted 4
Titanfall 2
The Witcher 3
Red Dead Redemption 2