• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What I expect to See from Next Gen Gaming, and my prediction's for Next-Next-Next Gen Console Specs.

I expect SeriesX and PS5 to deliver non-marginal improvement's across the board in term's of Raw population.

Feel Free to add to this thread with feature's you are most excited about.

Expect to see vastly superior, more lifelike crowd's standing on the sidelines of games like the next Forza - that eerily seem
like a real life crowd with thousand's of alternate animation's libraries. Realistic Spec map's, and lot's of conversation quirk's
to be heard as you drive by in your Forza Car.

I expect we will see a 10X increase in Polygon's count's for character asset's particularly for your own character and character's you interact with.
This one improvement will deliver night and day, neigh/Sunny day and Snowy Night like contrast's in visuals when compared to games that came before.

Masterful utilization of shader's that deliver performance and visuals not seen in any game released to date.

Edit: I've decided to add more per my newest post - I expect Machine Learning to deliver a new paradigm in what may be achieved visually this generation
by condensing all geometry down to sophisticated 2d image interpretation's with varying levels of detail.

That's right, eventually and within this generation - ML techniques will allow you to look at A visually stunning 3d character
and spin it around and examine all of it's 3d nuances - but the catch is that 3d character will actually be a very sophisticated 2d interpretation of a 3d asset. And you
the audience will never know the difference.

Once this technique becomes reality consoles will be able to produce any type of visual the artist could desire - by simply condensing it down to a multi-layered multi-lod flat 2d object.

And that is an exciting prospect, whereas DLSS 2.0 interprets images and completely restructures the scene with a more optimized variant, this
ML rendering technique - taking a 3d asset, and recording billion's of instances of 2d data to condense it down into an extremely sophisticated 2d image with
varying level's of details/distance perimeters cast and animated on a 2d Alpha Map - this will open door's not thought possible previously in the
field of game development on current hardware.

In fact this one ML Rendering technique, once accomplished - may solve the need for more compute for decades on out - as all 3d object's would transition
to extremely nuanced, sophisticated 2d sprite based variables cast on Alpha Maps.

I also expect extremely nuanced Animation Libraries to finally take stride this generation, and become standardized for all artist's to pull from - this one adjustment
will improve lifelike fidelity in game's 100x as games begin to become more lifelike and the animation libraries will become far less obvious/annoying when put under
scrutiny by the viewer.

And of course, large expansive open world games that simply dwarf anything seen previously on PC or Console - this will become the norm for many games moving forward.

And that is only the tip of the Iceberg.

As far as my Console Spec Predictions for not the next gen of consoles, but the generation Afterward - I notably as a computer scientist
was the only person on earth able to predict the spec's of consoles for this Generation correctly - the caveat being I added 1 Teraflop of performance to both machines
as I also factored in CPU teraflop performance. With that said, I correctly predicted the spec's of this gen of consoles in 2017 - but you will have to dig that up in my post history
if it is something that interest's you.

Since I'm simply not at all interested in predicting spec's for next gen as I have already predicted the Spec's Correctly for Series X/PS I will forgo the gen proceeding this gen
and attempt to correctly predict the gen afterwards. Yes this is a prediction that will not come to light for at least 2 decades or 2 more console cycles with the completion
of SeriesX/PS5 Gen.

My Prediction's for The XboxSZ/PS7 are as follows

Shortly after Nvidia begins to shift towards replacing it's GPU delivering a whopping 92 Teraflops of Performance and announces a 170+ Teraflop Card -

Xbox Series Z will be announced at 93.3 Teraflops

PS7 91.2 Teraflops

That is far as I will predict, and I hope this thread lives on until the day those specification's come to fruition.

Last edited:
Shortly after Nvidia begins to shift towards replacing it's GPU delivering a whopping 92 Teraflops of Performance and announces a 170+ Teraflop Card -

Xbox Series Z will be announced at 93.3 Teraflops

PS7 91.2 Teraflops

That is far as I will predict, and I hope this thread lives on until the day those specification's come to fruition

That’s a whole lot of Gamecubes

hybrid_birth

Gold Member
2I8plqe.gif

I updated my first post here with more thought's on the fantastic thing's we will see with this coming generation of gaming - and may occasionally edit the
original post or re-enter this thread to provide more thoughts on this topic!

Radical_3d

This generation was saved because of SSDs. The general public can’t distinguish between TLOU2 and Demons Souls Remake. Digital Foundry has just 1 million subscribers. Hardcores aside the gap between TLOU2 and a CGI movie is subjectively close enough to make any incremental improvement irrelevant as a selling point.
Console makers have to find the “iPhone camera” of their hardware. Something to get people excited about in every iteration, because just hardware won’t cut it anymore.

supernova8

Banned
I notably as a computer scientist was the only person on earth able to predict the spec's of consoles for this Generation correctly

lol

Since I'm simply not at all interested in predicting spec's for next gen as I have already predicted the Spec's Correctly for Series X/PS I will forgo the gen proceeding this gen
and attempt to correctly predict the gen afterwards. Yes this is a prediction that will not come to light for at least 2 decades or 2 more console cycles with the completion
of SeriesX/PS5 Gen.

Heh this is what economists and financial analysts/pundits do. They make a load of outlandish claims and by the time the event comes, everybody has forgotten what they said.

Last edited:
I also expect we will enter a generation where you can actively watch programming on TV, in game - Tv show's made with in game asset's, much like when you flip on the radio in GTAV and listen to Radio Talk Shows - you will be able to sit and watch timely pieces about news, world event's in game - and sitcom show's made specifically using game character's you may see in commercial's ect.

I expect thing's like this and vast physics simulation's to finally ensnare the gaming industry with the advent of game's that leverage the technology correctly.

I also expect to see Foliage make a huge visual leap in term's of the flat placard's of yesteryear - foliage has been disputably mediocre upon examination - feeling like lifeless placement holder's for something far better and more interactive.

Top Bottom