• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What if? A Game Boy Mini Classic - What would you expect out of it?

Rlan

With the SNES mini announced, I'm not expecting Nintendo to jump to the N64 next. I'm expecting them to reuse some of their 3DS tech and make a Game Boy Mini Classic.

Did a mockup of what I'm expecting out of it for fun:

DFAkP7sUIAECaLI.jpg

My thoughts on what would be possible on the system? Here:

DFA4Y7TUMAA_kBB.jpg

I'd expect them to have multiple colors available of the console, and Pokemon Red / Blue / Yellow to be split across specific versions of the console.

What would you want out of a Game Boy Classic Mini?

OnPoint

I'd expect them to have multiple colors available of the console, and Pokemon Red / Blue / Yellow to be split across specific versions of the console.
God damn, they probably would do this.

Edit: They could put For The Frog The Bell Tolls on the system Star Fox 2 style...

Mr-Joker

Banned
Unless the device is capable of connecting to Pokémon Bank, I wouldn't expect to see the original main series Pokémon game on it.

Hazu

I'd rather have a Game Boy Mini Classic that includes both original Game Boy and Game Boy Advance games with over 50 games included.

I would have no interest in original Game Boy games only.

KingBroly

Banned
I don't even know what they could do for Pokemon besides making it one combined version or both. So I doubt it'd have it.

I'd probably make it a Game Boy Color, though

Platy

I'd rather have a Game Boy Mini Classic that includes both original Game Boy and Game Boy Advance games with over 50 games included.

I would have no interest in original Game Boy games only.

Yeah ... give me like Pokemon, Tetris, DK94 and gives the rest GBA

Rlan

Unless the device is capable of connecting to Pokémon Bank, I wouldn't expect to see the original main series Pokémon game on it.

The Pokemon games are the second biggest sellers on the system, after Tetris. It defined the console. They'd be silly not to include it.

I'd also expect a future "Game Boy Color" console with Pokemon Gold / Silver, Pinball and Wario Land 2 / 3.

dadjumper

Having just bought a gameboy pocket and about 25 games, I think I'm good. Doing a backlight mod soon. The pocket is the perfect size for portability, even today.

That said, they should put Cave Noire on a thing if they ever make a new GB. That game is so damn good

The GB screen being what it is makes me wonder if this is even viable. NES Classic at least had the charm of 8-bit style + more colours than the GB in addition to its nostalgia. This idea just makes it apparent that you're playing a very outdated handheld.

Megatron

I like a lot of he games suggested in the Op, but it's missing stuff like Donkey King 94 and the game boy color games: Zelda oracle of ages and seasons, metal gear, bionic commando, etc. I wonder if they could add a colorization option to the original games as well.

zeexlash

I'm all for it, they've been smashing it with these mini consoles and the lineup you suggest looks tight. Pokémon and Tetris and you're good to go..

Maybe a GB/GBC model instead? Colour games, portability and a wider library would do some good. Could replace LA with the DX version, add Metal Gear Solid, Shantae, Pokemon Puzzle Challenge and complete that rumoured Metroid II DX release as well as a bonus.

Samaritan

I'd hope it would be more of a Gameboy/Gameboy Color hybrid. Put Pokemon Yellow and Pokemon Crystal on there, which lets you (sort of) bypass the whole Red or Blue/Gold or Silver version problem. Or you go the route of releasing two of these things in different colors with different Pokemon games on them. Honestly, I wouldn't hate that.

You're missing a game from your list:

batman-the-video-game-world.png

Seriously though, I would buy a GB Mini in a heartbeat, but although nostalgia is a strong part of this (I own a NES Mini already and have a SNES Mini preordered), I would prefer to see a quality "mini" version of consoles I didn't have access to when growing up, either because of cost or availability, like the Neo Geo, 3DO or the PC Engine.

Honestly, for a variety reasons, I don't expect to see this anytime sooner. I sooner expect to see a re-release/re-vamp of the NES CE, rather than a N64 CE, or a GB CE.

Zalman

All they need is Tetris, Super Mario Land and Pokémon. It would sell millions.

But to round out the library, I expect them to include both GB and GBC games since they view it as the same generation. With that in mind: Donkey Kong '94, Kirby 1 and 2, Zelda: Link's Awakening and the Oracle games, Wario Land 1-3... Those are probably the essentials outside of the big three.

Top Bottom