• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What if Gamepass was 1st and 2nd Party service package for other consoles?

Would you Pay for Xbox gamepass 1st and 2nd party games on Switch/PS5?

• Yes please

Votes: 20 41.7%
  • No thanks

Votes: 19 39.6%
  • Maybe

Votes: 9 18.8%

• Total voters

Kokoloko85

Obviously Nintendo and Playstation wont support Xbox Gamepass the way it is because it would eat into there own 3rd party sales etc.

Could Xbox release a gamepass version with just there 1st and 2nd Party titles? For Like $5-10?

And it will play on Switch and Playstations?

Does that damage either company?

As Switch and Playstation owners, would you pay for a service so you can play old and new Xbox exclusives?

Id love Sega to do the same thing with there catalogue from Genesis to Dreamcast. Id pay £5-10 to each to play there library.
On months Im not poor haha

Anyway theres probably loads of issues Im missing. But I think the main issue is the 3rd party titles. Why not remove them for the other consoles.

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
It's already really fucking cheap for what it is. Takes 2 minutes to find a code cheaper than Microsoft are offering, you can regularly get basic Game Pass for £5/month or even less.

Kokoloko85

It's already really fucking cheap for what it is. Takes 2 minutes to find a code cheaper than Microsoft are offering, you can regularly get basic Game Pass for £5/month or even less.

Yeah but my question was would you play it on the switch and PS5?

Xplainin

Banned
They can still make money on 100+ consoles?
They need to make not treat them as rivals
Microsoft makes less money on Gamepass than selling individual games. Its there to bring people into the MS ecosystem, such as xbox and Windows gaming.
Selling gamepass on PS would reduce the amount of people who buy a XSX, and encourage them to buy multiplats on PS instead of Xbox.
Nah, screws MS all ways.

Kokoloko85

It damages the company that is offering their service. Why would they want to do that for their competition? They’re already damaged, why add to the damage?

No, I got Switch and PS to play their games.

But how damaging is it to make maybe £3-4 on every 100+ Million consoles?

Maybe they can actually be a service and not rivals anymore?

Im just thinking, not exactly think its gonna happen but Spencer mentioning being on the Switch before.

Then it got shut down and Im guessing because of 3rd party?

Mista

Banned
But how damaging is it to make maybe £3-4 on every 100+ Million consoles?

Maybe they can actually be a service and not rivals anymore?

Im just thinking, not exactly think its gonna happen but Spencer mentioning being on the Switch before.

Then it got shut down and Im guessing because of 3rd party?
Why would anyone get an Xbox at this point if the best service is getting offered on other platforms? Heck, having a PC makes me not even think of Xbox anymore.

Kokoloko85

Microsoft makes less money on Gamepass than selling individual games. Its there to bring people into the MS ecosystem, such as xbox and Windows gaming.
Selling gamepass on PS would reduce the amount of people who buy a XSX, and encourage them to buy multiplats on PS instead of Xbox.
Nah, screws MS all ways.

I agree. But I think Spencer has said console numbers arent there goal anymore.
Thats why I think they could make half a billion a month just renting there games on the swithc and PS4/ PS5 etc

Again, Im probably not seeing all the major issues, but I only bring it up because Spencer mentioned wanted to be on the Switch before.

Kokoloko85

Why would anyone get an Xbox at this point if the best service is getting offered on other platforms? Heck, having a PC makes me not even think of Xbox anymore.

I know, they already said console numbers arent the most important thing anymore. That gamepass and xcloud are etc.

I guess it would be very silly at moment, but maybe in the future to get that monthly half a billion a month. Die hard xbox fans will stil get an xbox like the current gen. and they can make money from the people who wouldn’t have bought an xbox this or next gen like myself

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Yeah but my question was would you play it on the switch and PS5?

Personally I have a PC, so no, but of course it'd be a good deal for people without beefy PCs. Thing is, it'll never happen, so it's pretty moot.

Nah, screws MS all ways.
Selling gamepass on PC already reduces the amount of people who might buy an XSX, and encourages them to buy multiplats on Steam, GOG and Epic instead of Xbox, because you'd have to be retarded to own a PC and by from the Windows store.

They've already made it perfectly clear they're not really interested in getting people to by an XSX, and that they're happy for Xbox sales to suffer if it gets subscribers to gamepass, because investors are all about subscription services for any media right now, regardless of the effects on that media or viability of the business model long term.

I can definitely see it coming to Switch, especially with streaming added to it, but not Playstation.

Not because I don't think MS would want it, but because Sony gains nothing from helping to prop up a rival.

Last edited:

Kokoloko85

Not because I don't think MS would want it, but because Sony gains nothing from helping to prop up a rival.

I agree with everything you said.
The only thing I can see why Sony would get gamepass on board is is

A: Neither side see each other as competition.. maybe a long way yet. But Xbox not being concerned with XBX sales is a start.

B: Sony takes a small dollar or 2 from the service too. All they are doing at that point is, basically allowing a publisher they didnt have access to before ( microsfot )to have a netflix like service for that publishers games... if that makes sense lol

Hostile_18

Banned
I'd buy it. Only for a few months at a time though a i do like "owning" games.

If it works for the PC market for MS no reason it wouldnt for the other consoles. More than likely Sony and Nintendo resistant to the idea.

As someone that no longer owns a gaming pc or an Xbox and games solely on ps4 I'd take gamepass because it's extremely good value at the moment but between ps+ and Netflix and Amazon prime subscriptions it's getting expensive every month and seems to be a trend .

Damageous? That would be Microsoft's wet dream, their whole strategy is gettting as many Game Pass subscribers as possible.
Sony would get 30% revenue from whatever Gamepass makes on Playstation. I am pretty sure that would seriously eat into profitability. It would be viable if it is just 1st party games, but it would NOT be a money maker.

quest

Not Banned from OT
This is the endgame. Xbox goes 3rd party next gen, watch. Game pass is all that matters to them.
Yes because gamepass would be so profitable after giving sony 30% off the top lol. So 30% to sony then on the whole 7 dollars left over pay third parties, pay 15 studios and make enough profit to be worth while. Sounds like a great business model lol. I'm sure the CEO will totally be cool with that. Gamespass only works with no ecosystem fees or no third party fees. If there is no third party then it is ea access a whole 29 dollars a year lol minus Sonys fee.

ugh.... that's Microsoft's goal. They're moving to a services model with Xbox. I personally think that is the future MS wants for Xbox. Why spend billions and billions of dollars on R&D, on manufacturing, distribution when you can just push out a software based model?

Grinchy

Banned
Who is going to put the money and effort into porting these games all the way down to a Switch? They're not even actually porting them down to a Xbone :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Who is going to put the money and effort into porting these games all the way down to a Switch? They're not even actually porting them down to a Xbone :messenger_tears_of_joy:
In theory, developers were willing to port down to the original Gameboy. The same way so many developers are investing in mobile gaming. I am not saying it would be a good port, or that it would even be the same game after porting, but any system that has a large enough install base is worth porting to.

dalekjay

Even who hates Xbox should be praising gamepass just Sony / Nintendo adopt.

Those two saying “i have game pass now” would just put Xbox on a coffin .

Kokoloko85

Maybe because of 3rd party games.
Nintendo and PlayStation have no reason to allow people to just play 3rd party games on gamepass and when they want them to buy it on there store instead.

Remove the 3rd party and you have just the MS studio games for everyone to enjoy. MS takes a chuck. PLaystation and Nintendo take some grub too.
Gamepass then has access to over 150+ million units

Kokoloko85

Yes because gamepass would be so profitable after giving sony 30% off the top lol. So 30% to sony then on the whole 7 dollars left over pay third parties, pay 15 studios and make enough profit to be worth while. Sounds like a great business model lol. I'm sure the CEO will totally be cool with that. Gamespass only works with no ecosystem fees or no third party fees. If there is no third party then it is ea access a whole 29 dollars a year lol minus Sonys fee.

Remove 3rd party games from Playstion and Nintendo version of gamepass.
Leaves 1st and 2nd party Xbox games to be on any system.

This is if MS really is all about gamepass and not consoles which is the ”new” goalposts for xbox now it seems

Last edited:

Freeman

Banned
It would be even worse since the best games they have in it are third party.

That said, if Phil really didn't care about where you play like he pretends he does they would release on PS consoles as well.

Great Hair

Banned
Gamepass then has access to over 150+ million units

Sony nor Nintendo are going to give them a platform to enrich themselves. No matter how much they´re willing to "share".

example

Let´s assume that 150 million units is among the 3. Sony being leader currently has about 65% of the units (translates to 43.3% "100% scale"), Nintendo about 45% (30% "100% scale") and Microsoft 40% (26.63% "100% scale").

Gamepass on all 3 systems generates 5 billion hypothetically speaking (100%). That means microsoft alone made $1.33billions, Nintendo made them $1.5billions and Sony generated for them $2,165billions.

Sony´s gonna be like "we made you the most, we demand 30%!"
Nintendo´s saying "next time, we will make more than Sony! We charge only 20%!"

subtotal (1) cost sony, nintendo fee = $950millions
leaves Microsoft to deal with 3rd party fees (another 20%?) = $810millions
subtotal (2) 5 billions revenue minus rival share (950mill) minus 3rd party licensing (810millions) = $3.24 billions out of $5billions revenue
add personal cost,server cost, renting space, bandwidth costs, other licensing, acquiring new games for the services etc. and those $3.24 billions will drop below 3.

Nearly half of the revenue, and that´s just being optimistic.

Guilty_AI

If they offered GP on other consoles, it would have to be more expensive since they'd need to pay proper fees. I don't know how much that could shake its value.

If Gamepass ever comes to Sony or Nintendo in any form, shape or size then Microsoft might as well go third party then. I feel it will be REALLY difficult recommending an XBox if the person already has a PS4 or Switch.

CitizenX

Banned
On what grounds? Industry standards is what it is. Where is the negotiating power?

Industry standard by who because a competitor says so? Do you think EA is getting plucked 30% from steam now? In business EVERYTHING is negotiable especially if you are bring heat.

Top Bottom