• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What if Rocksteady or another developer announced a new Superman game?

Imagine a single-player focused Superman game where you play as Clark Kent/Superman, starting out in the small town of Smallville where you first discover you're not from Earth and have superpowers before eventually moving to live in the bustling streets of Metropolis and confronting villains like Lex Luthor, Metallo, Doomsday, and Darkseid.

Personally, I've never played a Superman game before as I had always read they weren't good. There was also a cancelled Superman game for the PS3/Xbox 360 by publisher Brash Entertainment who had cancelled Flash: Fastest Man Alive around the same time. Since then, it looks like no one has been bold enough to try their hand at developing a game focused primarily on playing as the Man of Steel. And when he is featured in a game, it's something like Injustice or Suicide Squad where he lost his marbles or is under some mind control. Whatever happened to Superman being a good guy?

Something I remember from the few Superman comic volumes that I've read were the moments when Clark Kent would visit the Kent farm and talk to his John and Martha. That would be pretty neat to see in a new video game instead of him disintegrating some guy in front of Harley Quinn and her friends. What do you think?

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
making a superman game is hard. it would be challenging to balance a game around a character who is basically a god.

you cant expect untalented hacks to innovate game design and overcome major challenges. they would rather just make a coop shooter because thats the best they can do.

VFXVeteran

Banned
The best Superman game was on Xbox They just need to add a really good graphics engine to it like UE4 and change up the story. The flying was perfect.

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
I'll be hyped, unlike with that GAAS game we got

OrderlyDismalCentipede-max-1mb.gif

People like me have been asking for a Superman game with the same AAA production values as the Batman Arkham series for years and Rocksteady is probably the best candidate to do that. I share the same disappointment with the majority of gamers that a MMO Suicide Squad game is not what we wanted. My guess is WB made this decision and want to push the Suicide Squad ip/movies while also joining the other major publishers dreaming of everlasting player engagement MMO full of microtransactions etc.....focused on MANY characters as oppose to one....Superman.

The only way to kill off these generic MMO's nobody is asking for is to simply not support them. It worked for Anthem and now Bioware is hopefully going back to it's roots.

Last edited:

Iced Arcade

batman is probably my #1 favorite character and I get that he sells but man WB/DC is sleeping on a lot of good characters.

oagboghi2

making a superman game is hard. it would be challenging to balance a game around a character who is basically a god.

you cant expect untalented hacks to innovate game design and overcome major challenges. they would rather just make a coop shooter because thats the best they can do.
Hulk: Ultimate Destruction did it like 15 years ago. Technically prototype as well.

Last edited:

Valentino

I find superman bizarrely boring. Outside of the name superman alone, the characters aren’t very iconic or well known aside from Lex Luther? Or Louis Lane? .......

Spaceman292

Banned
People like me have been asking for a Superman game with the same AAA production values as the Batman Arkham series for years and Rocksteady is probably the best candidate to do that. I share the same disappointment with the majority of gamers that a MMO Suicide Squad game is not what we wanted. My guess is WB made this decision and want to push the Suicide Squad ip/movies while also joining the other major publishers dreaming of everlasting player engagement MMO full of microtransactions etc.....focused on MANY characters as oppose to one....Superman.

The only way to kill off these generic MMO's nobody is asking for is to simply not support them. It worked for Anthem and now Bioware is hopefully going back to it's roots.
Is it an MMO? I thought it was more like Left 4 Dead

D3SCHA1N

Is it an MMO? I thought it was more like Left 4 Dead

To my understanding it's 1-4 players, nothing I've seen or heard suggested anything resembling an MMO, I don't know what he's on about. Personally while the SS game is not something I was particularly hoping for, I'm more interested in that than I would've been a Superman game. I think the toughest thing about making a good Superman game would be combat. I mean you'd have to have threats that can take a beating, otherwise he's just one punching everything, but then all you have are punch sponges so you're just flying around, whaling on an enemy over and over? Snore. I don't see how they could make an enjoyable combat system like Batman or Spider-Man had, and I think Superman is a lame and boring character anyway so I'm not upset in the slightest about SS, already more interested in that than the Avengers game too...

Elcid

Banned
Rocksteady could have announced literally anything else and we would have been happier. I would have preferred a fucking Aquaman game over Suicide Squad. I was optimistic but after seeing the announcement, meh AF.

Geki-D

Banned
Superman is a terrible character, especially for a video game so unless they just fully rewrite the lore to make him, you know, not fucking invincible and all powerful, I'd be pretty unimpressed.

Elcid

Banned
Superman is a terrible character, especially for a video game so unless they just fully rewrite the lore to make him, you know, not fucking invincible and all powerful, I'd be pretty unimpressed.
They could do something like God of War 2 where he starts insanely strong and OP and then loses it. Then works to regain it back. Darkseid putting a kryptonite fucking S in his chest basically made him a buff human.

Last edited:

Pallas

Gold Member
As someone mention already, the flying mechanic is probably the main thing keeping it shelved from any serious AAA developer studio, unless you want something like DBZ Xenoverse but with Superman. I would love to see a Superman game next gen though.

That would need PS5's speed to reach its full potential. They need to approach Sony for that. Most superhero games are mediocre as fuck, they end up hurting the IP for cheap profits.

You don’t believe it’s possible on the Series X? It’s also a very fast console. Let’s not kid ourselves and think the PS5 will be the only fast console, even if it’s faster.

Something you're not educated enough about to understand, as it seems, so don't waste my time.

He asked why, don’t be a dick.

Something you're not educated enough about to understand, as it seems, so don't waste my time.

Sorry, i don't put stock in unfounded, speculative, fantasy armchair dev non sense, nor find any of it intelligent.

You're looking at a few second faster loading times at best with the PS5.Neither platform can provide a complete next gen seamless open world game without some kind of loading hitches. Not even the linear Ratchet game had seamless transitions. Next gen open world games will still have loading screens and will hide loading screens in some fashion.

Last edited:

Geki-D

Banned
They could do something like God of War 2 where he starts insanely strong and OP and then loses it. Then works to regain it back. Darkseid putting a kryptonite fucking S in his chest basically made him a buff human.
...I mean, when you have to go to such contrivances to not make the character so OP... I'd say that's already a big red sign as to why the character just isn't very interesting. How many times have Superman stories, across all mediums, used that plot line? 100 times? 1000 times? "Kryptonite fog" making Superman weak was the original plot of Superman 64 till DC forced the devs to set it in a VR world...

Bo_Hazem

Banned
As someone mention already, the flying mechanic is probably the main thing keeping it shelved from any serious AAA developer studio, unless you want something like DBZ Xenoverse but with Superman. I would love to see a Superman game next gen though.

You don’t believe it’s possible on the Series X? It’s also a very fast console. Let’s not kid ourselves and think the PS5 will be the only fast console, even if it’s faster.

He asked why, don’t be a dick.

We share some history. The guy isn't the guy you enjoy debating with because getting a final verdict isn't his goal. Also he's somehow allergic to me.🤷‍♂️ (didn't report him though)

Anyway, as I said "That would need PS5's speed to reach its full potential": SSD and I/O in the PS5 currently unnamatched, so you can reach insane traversal speeds not possible on other platforms. Could you tone it down and make it possible on XSX and NVMe m.2 PC's? Yes.

And "Most superhero games are mediocre as fuck, they end up hurting the IP for cheap profits": This is very obvious, Sony's quality control is simply unmatched, backed by their Sony Pictures expertise both in visuals (Imageworks, etc) and cinematic storytelling.

Who can do that as well? WB, indeed, they got cinematic expertise as well, but not sure how closely they work and monitor their gaming IP's, even under their umbrella, as gaming is a more critical branch to Sony, not so for WB. Sony already helps WB with VFX, same with Marvel, Disney and others.

Hope this sheds some light on what I was saying.

Last edited:

Spaceman292

Banned
But that just makes him even more boring. Compare that with King Shark and ask yourself which would be more fun in a video game.

briansDog

Neo Member
Superman had kind of an early story during the New 52 reboot where he could only leap, he hadn't fully learned to fly yet. And it was very gritty run-down apartment living and facing things that were well beyond his developing powers. Thought it would be a better Superman video game. But that early story was highly praised.

Last edited:

JaseMath

Pretty sure Rocksteady was attached to a Superman game at some point, but the concept ultimately didn't pan out.

S

Shodan09

Unconfirmed Member
My theory is that they were working on a superman game then scrapped it to make suicide squad using assets they had already made. I have absolutely no proof of this.

Its hard to imagine normal game design working in a superman game, he's not going to be looking for key cards or sneaking around.

Top Bottom