• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

what if Sony decide to put games on PC like MS?

...decide to put games on PC like MS?

• i always buy a playstation (consoles 4ever)

• i play Sony games on PC (i've got the power!)

• i don't play games anymore (playstation exclusives or bust!)

• i buy an xbox (in sign of protest)

• i double dip (i have too much money)

• i don't know (i'm like the Buridan's ass)

• i don't want to answer (f***you nikolino)

• i just wanna see the votes (i'm a lurker)

Results are only viewable after voting.

llien

Microsoft is doing it because its managers are crazy (and yeah, you can have crazy management and still be successful when you are a monopolist; worked quite well for Intel too).
Why would Sony go "headless chicken" style?

You are talking about Sony games exclusively, but if people like me that only bet on a only platform each gen, buy a PC instead PS5, the will lose much money for psn royalties on third party games
They could still charge for that if they wanted, not to mention they could also allow you to install PS Now games on the PC like Gamepass.

nikolino840

For now 25 keep buying a console and 39 don't buy a PlayStation anymore becouse can play on PC

PlayStation 4 has 100+mil console

So we can Say two things?

Like if Sony couldn't reach 100 mil but almost like the supposed 40mil Xbox consoles

And the problem of Xbox Is becouse people play ms First party on PC

Correct?

Last edited:

LostDonkey

Id spend more money on their games instead of like at the moment....turning my ps4 on maybe once a month and wondering if I should just sell the thing.

vkbest

They could still charge for that if they wanted, not to mention they could also allow you to install PS Now games on the PC like Gamepass.

Why I would choose psn over Steam if I am using a PC?

With PS5 I don’t have other possibility, with PC I could buy the multiplatform game where I want. Even ubi could not have their games on a hypothetical PSN on PC. People even would pirate games from Sony

I know you want play Sony games in your PC, but now Sony would lose much money

Why I would choose psn over Steam if I am using a PC?

With PS5 I don’t have other possibility, with PC I could buy the multiplatform game where I want. Even ubi could not have their games on a hypothetical PSN on PC. People even would pirate games from Sony

I know you want play Sony games in your PC, but now Sony would lose much money
It’s all about the exclusives, why wouldn’t I want to play PS5 exclusives on my PC? Steam or not. I see your point, but there are ways to make it work.

Vawn

Banned
Sony already implied they are going to do this. Only a matter of time. I personally don't have a problem with that. I'm not very interested in most PS exclusives anyway.

Right....

Can I have your source please?

Psykodad

Banned
You are talking about Sony games exclusively, but if people like me that only bet on a only platform each gen, buy a PC instead PS5, the will lose much money for psn royalties on third party games
Even then, the vast majority of console-only gamers won't switch to PC if Sony brings their exclusives to PC, so little will change.

Bryank75

Banned
Maybe if PlayStation make their own PC launcher with a monthly fee.

But I don't think it benefits PlayStation enough. I think they should go on an acquisition spree... Capcom first, Team Ninja and Square Enix.
I mean they have 11 billion of random stocks and shares doing nothing.... just take them, sell them and buy Capcom for 2.8B, Square for 5B and Team Ninja..... they'll still have a load of change and not even have touched their 14 or 15 billion in cash reserves. Simples.

Mattyp

Gold Member
I mean they have 11 billion of random stocks and shares doing nothing.... just take them, sell them and buy Capcom for 2.8B, Square for 5B and Team Ninja..... they'll still have a load of change and not even have touched their 14 or 15 billion in cash reserves. Simples.

None of those companies make sense at the moment none have titles that move enough consoles and all still release multiplat. Any company that size that wants to sell goes to the open market for direct offers then it comes down to EA, Microsoft throwing their hat in the ring to where Sony will loose. Square is honestly a shell of its previous self...

Sony need to invest in FPS, racing even... not sure on the point of this thread as we can already play PS4 games on PC but 🤔

DonF

I'm all for it. PS4 exclusives look awesome, every one would be a great benchmark for pc.

Bryank75

Banned
None of those companies make sense at the moment none have titles that move enough consoles and all still release multiplat. Any company that size that wants to sell goes to the open market for direct offers then it comes down to EA, Microsoft throwing their hat in the ring to where Sony will loose. Square is honestly a shell of its previous self...

Sony need to invest in FPS, racing even... not sure on the point of this thread as we can already play PS4 games on PC but 🤔
Why would they loose? Sony has way more liquid assets than EA and even against Microsoft ... Sony has over 35 billion hoarded in cash, short term investments and net receivables. Microsoft has 45b from what I remember and gaming is not their priority. Edit: see short term investment is at 100 b either way gaming isnt getting that funding...

The point would be to make as many big IP's as possible exclusive to PlayStation , thus increasing the platform value and decreasing the value of competitors.It's a cumulative thing.

Last edited:

DanielsM

Banned
Less people will buy Playstation consoles.

More people will buy Playstation games.

I'm not too convinced as to this, I mean, in theory they have wider audience but wider audience isn't guarantee to more sales. Also, there is much bigger costs to going multi-platform including paying royalty fees. I mean, it depends on the title, the quality of the title, etc. imo I think From Software could basically close up shop on anything other than PS hardware and they might be better off, of course, the multi-platform many times is going to be a requirement depending on the publisher.

My guess, Nintendo and Sony will go to other platforms with certain titles when it has a strategy, like they do today. Both Sony and Nintendo release mobile games for instance. I could further see Sony release MP games on PC such as Killzone, Socom, or even GT. I would assume Sony would release its own PC launcher as well, if that happens. Hardware sales could be impacted if they did release games in mass on PC, so I don't think they would do it in mass at this point - no reason to.

Specific MP titles - possible i.e. Killzone, socom, Gt.. however this could hurt there PS Plus subscriptions
Titles in mass - unlikely at this point as there is no reason to sacrifice hardware sales

Last edited:

SonGoku

Putting games on PC is a stupid fucking idea for a platform holder, it dilutes the value of the brand
If Nintendo offered their games on PC i would not play on their pos HW even if offered free.

Last edited:

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Playstation as a service? Sony doesn't seem interested in this.

hqdefault.jpg

mejin

"We must support the PlayStation platform -- that is nonnegotiable," Shawn Layden.

there is a clear difference between them. Sony and MS don't have the same objective cause Sony still believe on their work as a manufacturer, MS can't wait to be like Valve.

GenericUser

Right....

Can I have your source please?
I think there was a sony statment a couple of days/weeks ago in which they basically implied that there is a chance their games will land on other platforms because they need a higher install base to sell to (obviously because of higher dev cost next gen). I'm too lazy to search now, sorry. Not a console warrior, so I really don't give a shit anyway. I don't like sony nor microsoft, I only like good videogames.

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
I see no reason to get a Xbox next gen - PC will play all the exclusives, I can get cheevos, I can play with my friends on Xbox, etc.

If Sony did all that with their games I would treat it the same way. But it's important to note Sony is a hardware company at its heart, they know and want to sell hardware, it's in their DNA. Apple is the same way. So I don't think they would go down that road.

If Sony starts releasing their exclusives on PC then I will never buy another Sony home console again. No reason to. At this point I only own a PS4 for TLoU and Shadow of the Colossus.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
"We must support the PlayStation platform -- that is nonnegotiable," Shawn Layden.

there is a clear difference between them. Sony and MS don't have the same objective cause Sony still believe on their work as a manufacturer, MS can't wait to be like Valve.

While I prefer pc first, Xbox second over other platforms, even I say that that ship has sailed.

The fucked it up with GFWL, and even with windows 10 store. Also many of their games are on Steam now so I really doubt Ms wants to be a storefront more than just a pc game publisher.

That doesn't change the fact that it's still possible to play Playstation games on pc, both by psnow or just by buying.

mejin

While I prefer pc first, Xbox second over other platforms, even I say that that ship has sailed.

The fucked it up with GFWL, and even with windows 10 store. Also many of their games are on Steam now so I really doubt Ms wants to be a storefront more than just a pc game publisher.

That doesn't change the fact that it's still possible to play Playstation games on pc, both by psnow or just by buying.

I agree with you, poor analogy I made.

What I mean is PSNow is just an option, not the main objective.

There is nothing wrong with MS plans in my book, they want their game pass for all.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
PS games on PC has been talked about for a while, one of the things is if developers should leave MILLIONS of dollars on the table for the sake of exclusivity.

Don't really care if Sony follows suit... I play games with a controller and on acomfy couch. Regardless of console, I'd buy their respective exclusives on console.

GymWolf

I'm okay with that but for the love of Cthulhu don't do that like microsoft did...
Announce something like that before the launch of your console, not after when player already buy your console and then you fuck em hard in the ass...

Bryank75

Banned
PS games on PC has been talked about for a while, one of the things is if developers should leave MILLIONS of dollars on the table for the sake of exclusivity.
That would undermine PS+. PlayStation do not make a game like GOW or Uncharted 4 with the intention of making huge money off them. They are like vanity projects, a costly masterwork to get people attracted to buying a PlayStation and then they make money off Call of Duty and PS+ and other games and services.... like their video / movie sales and PSnow etc.

Mattyp

Gold Member
Why would they loose? Sony has way more liquid assets than EA and even against Microsoft ... Sony has over 35 billion hoarded in cash, short term investments and net receivables. Microsoft has 45b from what I remember and gaming is not their priority. Edit: see short term investment is at 100 b either way gaming isnt getting that funding...

The point would be to make as many big IP's as possible exclusive to PlayStation , thus increasing the platform value and decreasing the value of competitors.It's a cumulative thing.

Microsoft has 3x45billion in cash reserves, no it's not all for gaming but a 2 billion dollar investment to them is very small amount on their cash reserves they have parked overseas that their headquarters in the U.S can't bring back in without spending a huge amount of tax on. it makes sense for U.S companies to spend cash reserves on more assets dodging tax while shaping company growth and worth. It's why Mojang was such a master stroke.

They loose because they gain nothing from it, none of those companies shift more Sony consoles, people playing those games buy Sony consoles regardless mainly for Sony studio exclusives. And if Capcom goes Microsoft exclusive tomorrow Sony doesn't loose any sales, people will still buy a PS5 and buy those capcom games on PC if they want to play any Capcom etc title badly enough.

Last edited:

Nero_PR

Banned
This is a funny post. I will give you that. If Sony went this route for their exclusives, what would be the point of having a console?

Buhtt muuuu exclusives!!!

Console gamers don't play games on consoles just for exclusives. It's for the convenience. PC Gamers usually want a better experience, and are willing to spend more and time to figure things out if they have to.

Different strokes etc, its not devaluing fuck'all if they sell to another market. Just less money left on the table. It's like children on a playground with their toys over here.

leo-j

So now is on PC, games like little big planet, gravity rush, uncharted, god of war, heavenly sword, ratchet and clank, etc are all available on PC through their streaming platform.

Therefore they have released games on different platforms.

Bryank75

Banned
So now is on PC, games like little big planet, gravity rush, uncharted, god of war, heavenly sword, ratchet and clank, etc are all available on PC through their streaming platform.

Just checked out what's available on it, it has a lot of games. Not the latest and greatest but it does have Bloodborne and some other great exclusives. I think this is the only way people will ever see big exclusives on PC honestly.
Pretty good value if you have the connection. Better than Stadia anyway.

Last edited:

DanielsM

Banned

Exclusives is a loose term, I would say anything not natively playing isn't really on another platform or more like device. But somehow you have changed that to mean they have released it on other platforms implying hardware. The game is still played on a PS3/4 through PS Now or PS Remote Play.

So, if I am on my Linux box and access a Microsoft Exchange or even just a Windows Desktop service through remote control or remote desktop... that now means Microsoft is releasing Exchange/Windows or their software on LInux? Its basically remote viewing. You could play selected PS3 titles on PSP/PSV via remote play, but nobody said they releasing games on those devices.... its simply remote viewing. Again, I think these are loose terms, but you are playing quite loosely even with the loose terms.

With PS Now or Remote Play or Shareplay, generally speaking the game is played on a PS device and OS.... somewhere.

Last edited:

rəddəM

Then they are doomed just like M$.
Can't you see that's the biggest difference between them? The exclusives.
Of course there's more to it, M$ did shot themselves in the foot at the start of the gen...

Top Bottom