• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

what if Sony decide to put games on PC like MS?

...decide to put games on PC like MS?

• i always buy a playstation (consoles 4ever)

• i play Sony games on PC (i've got the power!)

• i don't play games anymore (playstation exclusives or bust!)

• i buy an xbox (in sign of protest)

• i double dip (i have too much money)

• i don't know (i'm like the Buridan's ass)

• i don't want to answer (f***you nikolino)

• i just wanna see the votes (i'm a lurker)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Bryank75

Banned
This should never ever happen and consoles are the way forward when it comes to gaming, not pc’s.
I completely agree and it's not because I am a PlayStation fan or whatever, it is because you get much better performance per dollar by buying a console and with the mid-generation refresh, the upgrade cycle is now more frequent.

You will be getting more optimized games, less possible problems and inconsistencies, you will be getting faster than solid stasis drive load times on PS5, Ray tracing as standard, 3D audio, all major releases and tons of exclusives, free music streaming, 2 free games per month on PS+, excellent VR with fantastic support. Friends, trophies, integrated chat etc etc etc.

The more people that buy console the better the performance and components will be for the same money. It just makes sense, it works and it has the content. I believe that is why console growth is at 14%....

PC and Nintendo first guy here and this just ain't true at all. For example, what do The Last Guardian, Gravity Rush 2, Bloodborne, Horizon and Uncharted 4 have in common with each other other than being third person?

well. one thing you said it, third person

about t he last 2 games. both of them are action adventure 3rd person game. one is open world and one isn't. still pretty similar games. serious humanized story aka adult oriented games.

and thats like a few games?

well over half of Sony first party games this generation were 3rd person action adventure games with a humanized adult oriented story. ok?. I mean they even made god of war 50% of that.

Vawn

Banned
PC and Nintendo first guy here and this just ain't true at all. For example, what do The Last Guardian, Gravity Rush 2, Bloodborne, Horizon and Uncharted 4 have in common with each other other than being third person?

You haven't heard? There's only two types of games: first-person and third-person.

Vawn

Banned

about t he last 2 games. both of them are action adventure 3rd person game. one is open world and one isn't. still pretty similar games. serious humanized story aka adult oriented games.

well over half of Sony first party games this generation were 3rd person action adventure games with a humanized adult oriented story. ok?. I mean they even made god of war 50% of that.

Again. You already blew your cover. You haven't played any of these games you claim to hate in your anti-PS crusade.

Pretty funny you think all third-person games are the same thing.

I haven't been buying much games lately just been playing free games or games I have had for awhile. Nothing really catching my eye as great and must buy lately.

Z..

So a linear group encounter based contemporary third person shooter and a sprawling monster fighting distant primitive future game are the same to you because they both feature similar approaches to their narrative delivery and are third person games?

Just to make sure I'm getting this right, you feel as if this:

is too similar to this:

Am I reading that right? Just to be clear, I'm not particularly fond of either game, just trying to illustrate how silly your attempt to dismiss these games because they're all the same actually is.

Of course these are just a few games, btw, would you have preffered me to have listed all PS4 exclusives and gone through them one by one? Of course some do share similarities with others (Infamous and Spider Man are both open world superhero games with similar structures, both Uncharted games on the platform are very similar to each other), but just as many provide unique experiences like Until Dawn, Shadow of the Colossus, Ratchet & Clank, God of War or Astro Bot, you're trying too hard to convince yourself you're not missing out on anything, if you ask me.
Most Sony exclusives don't really appeal that much to me either, but to say they're all the same is incredibly reductive.

Holammer

Protip for polls: Only list Yes, No, Don't know/No opinion. That way you'll get some useful data.

I'm legitimately surprised Sony haven't released a Playstation Digital Distribution Store on PC yet, especially when 95% (a very scientific estimate) of all games on consoles are also available on PC, so they're leaving a lot of money on the table. It's not like it was in the PS1 or PS2 era when only a fraction of console games saw PC releases at all.
Some doom prophets think everyone and their dog will get an expensive gaming PC instead of a console and hardware sales will tank, I don't subscribe to that theory as the COD, EA sports bros and other casual mono-gamers won't care (including the physical copy crowd). Hardware is mostly sold at a modest profit or even a loss anyway as the big bucks are in peripherals, Sony could offer branded Keyboards and mice to make up for any lost sales.

The main reason I want Sony on PC are officially signed Dualshock drivers. Maybe I'll even buy a couple of games.

Vawn

Banned
So a linear group encounter based contemporary third person shooter and a sprawling monster fighting distant primitive future game are the same to you because they both feature similar approaches to their narrative delivery and are third person games?

is too similar to this:

Am I reading that right? Just to be clear, I'm not particularly fond of either game, just trying to illustrate how silly your attempt to dismiss these games because they're all the same actually is.

Of course these are just a few games, btw, would you have preffered me to have listed all PS4 exclusives and gone through them one by one? Of course some do share similarities with others (Infamous and Spider Man are both open world superhero games with similar structures, both Uncharted games on the platform are very similar to each other), but just as many provide unique experiences like Until Dawn, Shadow of the Colossus, Ratchet & Clank, God of War or Astro Bot, you're trying too hard to convince yourself you're not missing out on anything, if you ask me.
Most Sony exclusives don't really appeal that much to me either, but to say they're all the same is incredibly reductive.

The dude hasn't played any of those games. Just ignore him.

Protip for polls: Only list Yes, No, Don't know/No opinion. That way you'll get some useful data.

I'm legitimately surprised Sony haven't released a Playstation Digital Distribution Store on PC yet, especially when 95% (a very scientific estimate) of all games on consoles are also available on PC, so they're leaving a lot of money on the table. It's not like it was in the PS1 or PS2 era when only a fraction of console games saw PC releases at all.
Some doom prophets think everyone and their dog will get an expensive gaming PC instead of a console and hardware sales will tank, I don't subscribe to that theory as the COD, EA sports bros and other casual mono-gamers won't care (including the physical copy crowd). Hardware is mostly sold at a modest profit or even a loss anyway as the big bucks are in peripherals, Sony could offer branded Keyboards and mice to make up for any lost sales.

The main reason I want Sony on PC are officially signed Dualshock drivers. Maybe I'll even buy a couple of games.
I don’t think people really understand that the amount of PCs that can actually run these games is minimal compared to the amount of people that like to play them on the console.With that in mind right now there are only 100 million PlayStation 4s sold, imagine all the sales they are missing on the PC with players that don’t own a PlayStation. There is also no reason Sony could not charge for PlayStation network on the PC Which could also offer free games and Whatever else PlayStation network has to offer.

Last edited:

Jigsaah

Gold Member
LMAO Busted. After all this time pretending you are so disappointed with every PS exclusive, you slip and admit you don't even own a PS4.
Ooooooooo...fail bruh... SlashBringingHasher SlashBringingHasher

Right....

Can I have your source please?
I think he's referring to Sony wanting to bring games to all devices...as listed in a job posting from a while back. I can find a video on it...but i wouldn't really call it confirmed yet.

Last edited:

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Again. You already blew your cover. You haven't played any of these games you claim to hate in your anti-PS crusade.

Pretty funny you think all third-person games are the same thing.
Of the PS Exclusives, a couple I've played and beat Last of Us and God of War...both are 3rd person adult oriented story driven games. I would argue that they do have some very stark differences though. God of War and TLoU may both include visceral combat and puzzle solving, but the combat that's employed is very different. You're a badass in one game, vs. a relatively vulnerable survivor in the other. While I can certainly see the similarities between the 2...I can also see differences. I think when the formula is repeated to excess that people come up with these kind of complaints. You could look at Dayz Gone, which I haven't played...and say Uncharted 4, which I also haven't played and still see them as somewhat following that same formula. 3rd person, overthe shoulder, adult oriented, story driven game.

Good thing is, Sony has many exclusives...so games like Detroit and Spiderman, Ratchet and Clank and Bloodborne follow a fairly different mold. Sure there's some repetition in the 1st party studios, but they are supported by other 3rd party exclusives that round out what they offer.

I dunno, do what you're good at....that's my take.

is too similar to this:

absolutely. the tone of the games are very similar. the artstyle is very similar. the feel of the controls is very similar. those things matters. it isn't whats just the details of what your doing. have no time for your bullshit or any SonyGaf bullshitter. I am just ignoring all of you after providing good arguments. Shuhei Yoshida himself said that their games are similar nowdays, not me.

am providing vastly more similarities in game than your providing differences. lets look at an example, God of war and devil may cry, both are similar genre. at least old god of war games, character action right? the tone is vastly different, the graphics and art style are different, the setting is different, the gameplay and control is vastly different. one game is serious, the other is more of all over the place. there is cultural difference in action

only similarity is what? camera, and the game genre. Now lets compare Sony games that aren't even the same exact genre.

Lets compare Uncharted, a linear 3rd person game, and Days gone, and lets add a third game, the last of us. lets name the similarities

1) third person

2) they are all in a relatively modern realistic setting (plus the supernatural stuff obviously) but we recognize the time period as modern

3) they all have stories to be taken seriously. mature humanized/drama stories based on human characters and their emotional struggles among other things in the game

4) similar art style. thats an obvious one, most sony games are co-made with VASG, the graphics are all about a shade of photorealism away from being identical. we can't argue against that

5) all of these games have a similar gameplay loop of typical projectile weapons plus gadgets, all of which (outside of uncharted) have your typical resource management, last of us, days gone etc.

6) they all have bullshit necessary in game cutscenes that I have to watch

7) none of them are light hearted or stylized visually or story wise. maybe except like 5 or 6 out of 30 which were all low budget relatively.

what are the differences?

1) some of these games even have the same genre, and a few are not exactly same genre if we include "open-world" in the genre. otherwise they are all action-adventure games.

2) the enemies are different. well except the last of us and days gone in which they are the same. its like if Nintendo made a game with Goombas second cousin or something and called it absolutely having nothing to do with mario its totally original . what are Goombas anyway lets name them something else?

the biggest mechanic in most of them besides maybe HZD even tho its big is cover shooting.

even GoW turned from a high octane character action game to an another Sony flick game where I have to watch unnecessary cutscenes intertwined between gameplay and have to
"care about emotions of fictional character and appreciate the story" to actually enjoy them. why so serious? said the joker. they must be catering to every broke millennial going through depression or something. they are turning into LifeTime

Last edited:

Vawn

Banned
tone of the games are very similar. the artstyle is very similar. the feel of the controls is very similar. those things matters. it isn't whats just the details of what your doing. have no time for your bullshit or any SonyGaf bullshitter. I am just ignoring all of you after providing good arguments.

Good arguments by lumping games such as The Last Guardian, Bloodborne and Uncharted as "basically the same thing"? After admitting you haven't played any of them? (Which, spoiler, was already VERY obvious)

Bryank75

Banned
absolutely. the tone of the games are very similar. the artstyle is very similar. the feel of the controls is very similar. those things matters. it isn't whats just the details of what your doing. have no time for your bullshit or any SonyGaf bullshitter. I am just ignoring all of you after providing good arguments. Shuhei Yoshida himself said that their games are similar nowdays, not me.

am providing vastly more similarities in game than your providing differences. lets look at an example, God of war and devil may cry, both are similar genre. at least old god of war games, character action right? the tone is vastly different, the graphics and art style are different, the setting is different, the gameplay and control is vastly different. one game is serious, the other is more of all over the place. there is cultural difference in action

only similarity is what? camera, and the game genre. Now lets compare Sony games that aren't even the same exact genre.

Lets compare Uncharted, a linear 3rd person game, and Days gone, and lets add a third game, the last of us. lets name the similarities

1) third person

2) they are all in a relatively modern realistic setting (plus the supernatural stuff obviously) but we recognize the time period as modern

3) they all have stories to be taken seriously. mature humanized/drama stories based on human characters and their emotional struggles among other things in the game

4) similar art style. thats an obvious one, most sony games are co-made with VASG, the graphics are all about a shade of photorealism away from being identical. we can't argue against that

5) all of these games have a similar gameplay loop of typical projectile weapons plus gadgets, all of which (outside of uncharted) have your typical resource management, last of us, days gone etc.

7) none of them are light hearted or stylized visually or story wise. maybe except like 5 or 6 out of 30 which were all low budget relatively.

1) some of these games even have the same genre, and a few are not exactly same genre if we include "open-world" in the genre. otherwise they are all action-adventure games.

2) the enemies are different. well except the last of us and days gone in which they are the same. its like if Nintendo made a game with Goombas second cousin or something and called it absolutely having nothing to do with mario its totally original . what are Goombas anyway lets name them something else?

the biggest mechanic in most of them besides maybe HZD even tho its big is cover shooting.

even GoW turned from a high octane character action game to an another Sony flick game where I have to watch unnecessary cutscenes intertwined between gameplay and have to
"care about emotions of fictional character and appreciate the story" to actually enjoy them. why so serious? said the joker. they must be catering to every broke millennial going through depression or something. they are turning into LifeTime
Wow, this is pathetic...

'All the settings are modern' ..... suuuuuure.... GOW? TLOU? Horizon? Death Stranding, Ratchet and Clank? Bloodborne..... How much more different can you get?

'Not lighthearted or stylized'..... again LBP, Ratchet and Clank, Uncharted is a pulp-action game and is very lighthearted (you'll notice that no good-guy ever dies)

'They all have stories you have to take seriously' ..... you mean that they actually have a strong narrative? Sure most of them do. Even ones like Shadow of the Colossus that has no dialogue. Journey too...

It's painfully obvious that you have no idea about PlayStation exclusives. No offense meant.

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member

I really doubt selling some shitty made in China Sony branded keyboards would make up for losing 100 million consoles sold.

Hardware is sold at a loss or modest profit *at launch.* But the cost to make the hardware drops significantly. In the past, that cost got passed down to customers, but now, it just gets passed to Sony, as the official price of the PS4 is still $300, and they're selling a $400 unit that doesn't cost $100 more to make. They are making a shitload of money on PS4 hardware by now.

Every company these days is talking about "pivoting to services" but there is not much evidence that actually works. My guess is that MS, all things considered, would rather have the Xbox 360 again than whatever the hell it is they are doing now to try to salvage the Xbox brand. If anything, this generation really proved that exclusives do matter and they do drive success despite what everyone was talking about at the tail end of last gen. I don't know exactly what Sony's plans are but I doubt it is to put God of War 2 or Horizon Zero Dawn 2 on PC.

Last edited:

Z..

1) third person

Love that you decide to cherry pick two games by the same developer and a tonal clone of that same approach for your in depth comparison. You've successfully proved something nobody was trying to disprove, bravo.

I don't like the modern cinematic approach any more than you do, but claiming these games are all the same because some of them feature that one specific element in them is bananas... I think it's more of a "I don't like this approach and find it ruins all games that use it" case than them actually being all that similar when you get down to it. My 5 fav PS4 only games have absolutely nothing to do with each other (for reference, Bloodborne, Persona 5, The Last Guardian, God of War and Ratchet & Clank). Well, GoW does borrow plenty of elements from Souls games so I suppose it does have it's similarities with Bloodborne, but I'm fairly certain that wasn't what you meant at all.

I am not a SonyGaf bullshitter, by the way... I'm a Sega kid turned Nintendo/PC gamer, I do own a PS2/3/4 but I only use their consoles for exclusives and couch multiplayer stuff which is unavailable on PC or Nintendo, Sony is a distant third place in my heart, but claiming you're going to ignore everyone who dares question your logic is megalomania at work, my friend.

FranXico

1) third person

Of course you don't have a PS4. That's why you entertain yourself writing these novel length posts arguing about games you never even played yourself, just to reduce them to the same thing.

Just go and play games you like. Or if you prefer, put more energy into advocating for games you do like than this stupid "Sony 3rd person walkie talkie" nonsense. You will feel better for it and contribute more to the community.

Last edited:

Rodolink

Microsoft is not putting games on "PC" its putting games on "Xbox ecosystem" which includes WIndows. Meaning that Sony doesnt have that, and would be bad for their business unless they do their own ecosystem (which would run on top of some other unless they make their own OS or PCs)

Gavon West

Spread's Cheeks for Intrusive Ads
Not really. I dont think Detroit isnt owned by sony. They just had a deal with quantic dream for it.

You guys seem so desperate, trying to pretend that sony will do it too shortly.
I can smell your insecurity from here.
Desperate? Because Sony themselves said their putting some of their games in PC? Why the fuck do I care? I dont play Sony games so I dont care where they put them. I dont game on PC either. Not my bag.

Perhaps youre just a little jumpy bruv. Calm the fuck down.

manfestival

1) third person

Stop while you are ahead. You aren't doing yourself any favors.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

1) third person

tenor.gif

DanielsM

Banned
Detroit's rights I believe were bought back from Sony a while ago by QD, as were some of the other IPs i.e. Heavy Rain, etc. Some of these games are appearing on the Epic Store but they are no longer Sony published games.

As far as Sony in particular they do sometimes publish to other platforms/stores i.e. smart phones.

nikolino840

I have not created this poll for CW lol XD

It comes in my mind Reading the two threads "exclusives gonna die" and "the definition of exclusive" ( i don't Remember Word for Word the threads titles)

I chose Sony becouse Microsoft already put First party on PC,so i am curious about PlayStation users Will do here in gaf (in this What if)

And if it's a real problem for Microsoft... Microsoft can sell 100mil. Xbox Scarlett if they stop to put games on PC? Or there Is something else involved?

And yeah some choices of the poll are Just for laugh ( i have laughed a lot writing this poll :D )

Last edited:

HE1NZ

Banned
At some point in the future Sony, Microsoft and Google will be fighting over exclusives on their streaming platforms and have downloadable versions on PC compatibles.

Rayderism

I've decided that, for me, I will just use consoles for games. I've come to the conclusion that if I don't use a computer for games (beyond legacy emulation), then I can go many years without having to upgrade it. For example, this laptop is like 7 years old and still serving me fine, as long as I don't try to play a modern game on it.

I'm not too discerning when it comes to framerates and resolutions. As long as I can see what's going on and the framerate never dips below the high 20's, I'm good.

Desperate? Because Sony themselves said their putting some of their games in PC? Why the fuck do I care? I dont play Sony games so I dont care where they put them. I dont game on PC either. Not my bag.

Perhaps youre just a little jumpy bruv. Calm the fuck down.

Some of their games which they dont even own the rights for.

Waiting for the day they allow: god of war, bloodborne, horizon, last of us, days gone etc.

Top Bottom