• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What if? The rumors were true and PS5 was weaker and more expensive?

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
mod edit: bait poll removed. If you're incapable of being over dramatic then we'll just remove the poll

Let's assume for a minute that the rumors are true, and the PS5 runs games at 1440p and the XSX native 4k. a 2x difference in pixels. It could also mean 1440p 30 fps vs 1440p 60 fps as well.

We are all sick of this nonsense. Constant fud spreading about lack of hardware RT, PS5 being RDNA 1.0, no VRS, 9.2 tflops, has been exhausting and while everything except for maybe VRS has been proven to be false, these rumors continue to persist.

So just for the sake of discussion, what if this was true. What if the XSX was 2x more powerful, and also cheaper by some miracle. Would you be disappointed by power of the console? Would Cerny still have your approval? Questions would need to be asked about how Sony made a console half as powerful and more expensive.

I initially made the poll ask if you would buy the PS5, and realized that no question I would buy it for all the exclusives they showed. But I sure as hell would be disappointed if not straight up pissed about how Cerny and Sony allowed such a colossal fuck up.

Edit:

“Would you be disappointed if the PS5 is half as powerful as the Xbox Series X AND more expensive?”

“the PS5 runs games at 1440p and the XSX native 4k. a 2x difference in pixels. It could also mean 1440p 30 fps vs 1440p 60 fps as well”

When did 18% more power give you double the pixels/frames?

Last edited:

SlimySnake

“Would you be disappointed if the PS5 is half as powerful as the Xbox Series X AND more expensive?”

“the PS5 runs games at 1440p and the XSX native 4k. a 2x difference in pixels. It could also mean 1440p 30 fps vs 1440p 60 fps as well”

thats what dusk said. 1440p/1600p on ps5, native 4k on xsx. 2x difference in pixels. thats what makes this whole thing so ridiculous.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Where's the articles saying PS5 is 6 tf (half of SeX)?

Sounds like OP is trying to make himself feel better with everyone replying PS5 is not half the power, so cheer up.
sounds like you need to bring yourself up to speed on what we are discussing here instead of being your usual passive aggressive self.

Wasnt dusk just outed to be a liar due to the fact that xbox had more negative press recently and he was spreading ps5 rumours to "even the odds"
yes, thats why this is a What IF thread.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
sounds like you need to bring yourself up to speed on what we are discussing here instead of being your usual passive aggressive self.

And the recent tweets and Reeee action says he was fibbing stats and he even got demodded.

So if his PS5 1440/1600p tweets are rubbish, why are you keeping his tweets going days later?

SeX is 12.1 tf. PS5 is 10.2 tf. That's just a touch below 20%. Feel better?

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
huh? have you even read the OP or the thread title?
Why would you even bother making a thread like this?

Would you be disappointed if the PS5 is half as powerful as the Xbox Series X AND more expensive?

Let's assume for a minute that the rumors are true, and the PS5 runs games at 1440p and the XSX native 4k. a 2x difference in pixels. It could also mean 1440p 30 fps vs 1440p 60 fps as well.

SlimySnake

Why would you even bother making a thread like this?

Would you be disappointed if the PS5 is half as powerful as the Xbox Series X AND more expensive?

So you are thread whining now? What's the matter with you? Ignore the thread and move on if you don't like the topic.

Considering Sony put out better looking games on the Pro than Microsoft has with the One X since release, even if PS5 was half.. they would still have better looking games. MS 's studios are woefully dumb at their craft of creating pretty graphics.

Vawn

Banned
Disappointed? Sure, the more it costs, the more I have to spend.

But, the games are so many magnitudes better on PlayStation, I will pay the difference. I want the machine with the game I want to play. End of story.

And half as powerful? Get out of here with that BS. One is a 12 TF machine chained to a 4 TF sister machine. One is a 10 TF, that isn't required to keep pace with lesser hardware. Take your pick. Either way, I'll take the one with the GAMES.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member
EfWAhFoWAAEcs1x

JLB

Banned

We are all sick of this nonsense. Constant fud spreading about lack of hardware RT, PS5 being RDNA 1.0, no VRS, 9.2 tflops, has been exhausting and while everything except for maybe VRS has been proven to be false, these rumors continue to persist.

So just for the sake of discussion, what if this was true. What if the XSX was 2x more powerful, and also cheaper by some miracle. Would you be disappointed by power of the console? Would Cerny still have your approval? Questions would need to be asked about how Sony made a console half as powerful and more expensive.

I initially made the poll ask if you would buy the PS5, and realized that no question I would buy it for all the exclusives they showed. But I sure as hell would be disappointed if not straight up pissed about how Cerny and Sony allowed such a colossal fuck up.

You are asking this to mostly an audience of sony fanboys. What answer do you expect to get?

Kindjal

He was just picturing a "what-if" scenario where PS5 was half as powerful as the XBXSX and more expensive too.
The question was, if that was the case, would you still buy it?

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
You are asking this to mostly an audience of sony fanboys. What answer do you expect to get?
I'll take a stab at it:

Bro, don't worry man. The Dusk Golem guy was faking it. Every core gamer keeping up with game forum news knows Dusk's tweets were trash and he even admitted it.

It's not half the power no matter how much you still want to believe the tweets. Dusk's tweets don't override official specs that came out from MS and Sony, so we can stick to the posted SeX at 12.1TF and PS5 at 10.2TF, so the power gap is only 18 or 19%.

But I totally understand. If you still feel queasy about the Xbox power gap, yeah I support you making an alternate universe thread where we can pretend PS5 is half the power ignoring official specs, it gets debunked so PS5 catches up a lot so we all feel better.

JLB

Banned
I'll take a stab at it:

Bro, don't worry man. The Dusk Golem guy was faking it. Every core gamer keeping up with game forum news knows Dusk's tweets were trash and he even admitted it.

It's not half the power no matter how much you still want to believe the tweets. Dusk's tweets don't override official specs that came out from MS and Sony, so we can stick to the posted SeX at 12.1TF and PS5 at 10.2TF, so the power gap is only 18 or 19%.

But I totally understand. If you still feel queasy about the Xbox power gap, yeah I support you making an alternate universe thread where we can pretend PS5 is half the power ignoring official specs, it gets debunked so PS5 catches up a lot so we all feel better.

i dont know what is or who is dusk.

edit: ok, just checked thats theres another thread that mentions a person on twitter saying a stupid comment about xsx being 2x the power of ps5, or aomething like that. I guess that was the trigger for this thread?

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
i dont know what is or who is dusk.

edit: ok, just checked thats theres another thread that mentions a person on twitter saying a stupid comment about xsx being 2x the power of ps5, or aomething like that. I guess that was the trigger for this thread?
Ya.

He did some tweets this past week out of nowhere saying PS5 is weaker and people went ape shit. He got called out for it and admitted he faked it, so the whole debacle should be over and it's back to normal.

Yet, his troll tweets seem like they created alternate universe mind sets.

Papacheeks

Banned

Not super comparative when you see the type of games pixel arc studios make. Not really pushing hardware and their data of what they are using engine wise is not going to give them a good data set at what each system can do.

Indie developer using unreal that's got it's own lighting engine is a good barometer. Not 2d pixel side scroller.

Last edited:

Batiman

Banned
I definitely want to have the best console available for third parties so the Series X is a must. Still getting a Ps5 for first party but hoping it’s 100$ cheaper. 50$ at least.

Top Bottom