• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What if the XBOX Lockhart is a Portable Console?

Not pissed, just honest with myself.

I have been talking about handhelds vs. the rest since my first post, a post you clearly have issues with as it mentions PS4.
Once again I find you dancing around a subject while trying to make a point, to the extent that "switch lite", "we", "first you said" is thrown in the mix.

Lastly I don't have anything against any of the 3 platforms, if you're not lazy perhaps look up my post history you might find a post displaying which brand I prefer, hint it's not the green or red team ;)
You're making a fool out of yourself, I'm ignoring the rest of your post as there's a lot of fabrication and lies which I won't bother addressing, this is my last response in regards to this matter.

You only mentioned PS4 to dig on it (blind loyalty).

You want me to dig in your post history to prove some virtue you arent currently displaying? No thanks.
"FABRICATION AND LIES!" Can you point out any lie Ive told?
You : "Switch is cannibalizing and butchering the PS4 in Japan!"

Im not dancing around anything, Im being objective. Can you tell me if these sales charts seem to indicate switch light is unimportant
in the sales gap or are you too busy putting me on your enemies list? Whats your obsession with dance?

Can you answer any of the questions I asked, or address anything I've said in response to your wild accusations against me ?

quAoato.jpg

Dolomite

Haven't owned a portable since the OG psp (MGS portable ops gang!!)

It would be dope! But with Xcloud offering HD assets to mobile devices and phones I don't see how you could market a portable Xbox to play exclusives

Ar¢tos

4tf x86 based portable console?
Sure, as long as it comes with a 5kg backpack battery and it's about 8cm thick so the active cooling fits in it.

Problem is power, not size. Chip is pretty small even in XSX, plenty room for that in portable, but if it consumes 200W of power, then you have a problem.

And 200w of power produces a certain amount of heat.... that has to go someplace.

So it would be a handheld with 45 min of battery life that weighs 5lbs and doubles as a space heater.

Ok so thats a little overblown but you get me.

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
And 200w of power produces a certain amount of heat.... that has to go someplace.

So it would be a handheld with 45 min of battery life that weighs 5lbs and doubles as a space heater.

Ok so thats a little overblown but you get me.
It would be possible probably as something like an thick iPad, no chance in format like Switch....

It would be possible probably as something like an thick iPad, no chance in format like Switch....

Something like a surface pro. Those have intel CPUs... the thing is I dont think the APU we're talking about
is quite on the same level but I mean, it would still be a little less than ideal for a portable. A gaming "tablet" maybe yeah, you know.
Its not like the switch is easy to pocket compared to the previous handhelds anyhow.

Agreed. Very outdated design. But that was the main mockup that made rounds back in the mid 2000's. I even think the Official XBOX Magazine used that render in a few of their print articles.
Its still up in the air, i recall phil at e3 mentioning xbox consoleS, so yea why not tackle Nintendo, they making so much money from the switch (and yes the games play a major role on the success)

D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
I know Microsoft has the best engineering team, but wouldn't it be pretty much impossible to get those specs in a handheld?

MaestroMike

Gold Member
I'd buy it fast as hel!. One of the things I most like about the Switch is its portability and that I can play it in bed. I was wishing Microsoft made a portable console the other day.

We have the winning entry for "Today You're Wrong Day".

Nah. They're right. Portable gaming sucks ass.

Never could handle playing a DS game for more than an hour without my hands seriously starting to hurt. Portable gaming is not comfortable at all. The sound is terrible, the graphics are terrible, the controls are uncomfortable.

Everyone always goes "but muh games" to argue in favor of portable games but all those games are experienced better on the big screen. Playing Pokémon in 4K with an Xbox One controller or Super Mario 3D Land in 4K + 3D with an Xbox controller is a million times better experience than it was playing it on the original 3DS hardware. Emulators demonstrate how badly portable hardware holds back these otherwise excellent games.

Last edited:

Genx3

It could be great, or maybe as a bigger surface style tablet or something.

Didn't WC or some other site state that the original plans for the Lockhart APU was for a Surface device?
Then MS realized it would also make a descent APU for a cheap console.

the_master

I thought there was no way,but if it is true that they disguise it with xbone s or x covers... then.... It could fit... And if the power consumption has some trick to it...
Would be awesome. Could work like a switch at 1080p
Probably not the case though

diffusionx

Gold Member
AMD's low-end Ryzen 4000 laptop CPUs with 8-core are 15W chips. That's about the limit you can do for a handheld, sure. I think that's the Tegra X1 TDP although I don't know what it is in Switch. But the GPUs on that card only have 8 CUs. So I don't know if it is feasible to build the chip they are talking about and put it in a handheld right now.

Last edited:
Both Sony and Nintendo had came to the same conclusion this gen; that they could not create enough first party games fast enough to support two sets of separate game consoles.

Sony left the Vita and Nintendo fused the console and the handheld.

Microsoft can TRY to make a handheld. They have the money. But trying is not the same as succeeding.

93xfan

Banned
Not possible. The battery drain on a non Arm processor, let alone the heat generated would just not work.

People need to stop begging MS and Sony to do portable. Nintendo can do that as they don’t seek to have cutting edge graphics and CPUs. Xcloud and PSNOW are the only way those two should ever consider portable gaming (again).

It will be more expensive than ps5, series x, switch combined.

Any portable is a must buy for me at this point. So that would be great. Just not day one.

Banned
if Lockhart is a ~4.6TF (if the 20CU leak is to be believed) handheld for 250€
Microsoft literally won next gen.

but here's the catch: that's HIGHLY, and I mean HIGHLY UNREALISTIC

No, it is 100% not possible, and that’s not even considering the CPU

oh it's absolutely possible, just not at that price and it wouldn't make sense at the price it would need to be, because at that point noone would bother.

it would also be pretty bulky and would eat your battery like hotcakes

Last edited:

93xfan

Banned
if Lockhart is a ~4.6TF (if the 20CU leak is to be believed) handheld for 250€
Microsoft literally won next gen.

but here's the catch: that's HIGHLY, and I mean HIGHLY UNREALISTIC

oh it's absolutely possible, just not at that price and it wouldn't make sense at the price it would need to be, because at that point noone would bother.

it would also be pretty bulky and would eat your battery like hotcakes

But that’s what I mean. Not at a reasonable price, size or with good battery life.

MarkMe2525

Run down battery for main phone, maintain controller battery as well, very small screen,
terrible likely unpredictable latency, often totally unplayable, likely unplayable in vehicles without wifi....

Yeah an actual portable would be a lot better. its the simplicity of a machine like switch that makes it so
popular in a world where everyone is already carrying a phone anyway.
I don't know man.. when we were slow at work during the shutdown, I got hours in on no man's sky over a LTE connection in Mississippi. It works great. This was streaming from my console at home on 30 Mbps upload

P.s. co-workers straight up giggled at me when I was walking around with that monstrosity (Xbox one controller, clip, and moto g stylus)

Last edited:
Portable would mean build-in screen, which makes it too expensive for a device that's supposed to put the pressure on the PS5?
How on earth can you properly cool an 8-core Zen2 inside such a machine?

Last edited:

Banned
But that’s what I mean. Not at a reasonable price, size or with good battery life.

that didn't stop other companies in the past (Lynx, Turbo Express etc.). so saying it's impossible is not correct.

it's just a dumb idea and wouldn't be great with current tech

93xfan

Banned
that didn't stop other companies in the past (Lynx, Turbo Express etc.). so saying it's impossible is not correct.

it's just a dumb idea and wouldn't be great with current tech
Sure. Technically you could give the series X a cart with some wheels a monitor and power generator. I thought we were talking about a sleek Switch competitor, not some unsellable monstrosity.

MAtgS

Seriously. What if it is? Lockhart is probably an all digital console anyways, so why not make it a $249 portable XBOX console that can play all digital XBOX, 360, and XBOX One games, with the occasional series X game thrown in for good measure?

I really have no reason to buy a digital only XBOX console, that will clearly be weaker than the Series X. I have full intentions of buying a Series X. But... if it was portable... I would absolutely double dip and buy both consoles. And here's the kicker.... I have a theory that this is what those fancy portable expansion cards are for (which we have already seen for the Series X). Clearly XBOX put a lot of thought into these cards which I thought was weird because there are already plenty of excellent external storage options out there. So why would they invest R&D into this fancy new expansion port with proprietary cards? I think this points to something we will see with the Lockhart.

You can have a 1tb or 2tb card filled with games on your Series X for at home use... but when you travel or are out for the day... just grab your Lockhart and card, and continue the experiences on the go with a portable XBOX. It would be heavenly.

I mean, all of this is conjecture at this point, but let's just speculate some more, and actually talk about gaming again please! A portable XBOX has long been talked about and rumored, even since the original XBOX days. So what do you think GAF? Do you think it could work? Would ya'll be down for something like that? Let me know what you think :)

Outdated design below... but man... I loved all the talk about "the portable xbox" back in the day.
dims

https://www.engadget.com/2006-05-08-author-claims-360-team-working-on-portable-xbox.html
So the cutting edge $400-$600 monster is somehow gonna have an even more cutting edge smaller size model that also has a screen & a battery added onto the expenses & will somehow be cheaper than the normal model? Clearly, you thought this through :rolleyes:

JOEVIAL

Has a voluptuous plastic labia
So the cutting edge $400-$600 monster is somehow gonna have an even more cutting edge smaller size model that also has a screen & a battery added onto the expenses & will somehow be cheaper than the normal model? Clearly, you thought this through :rolleyes:

Not talking about Series X or the One X my dude. This is the Lockhart/Series S we're talking about, which is already rumored to be $199-$249.

And yeah, besides, this post was clearly just for fun and dreams 😅

Top Bottom