• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What if the XBOX Lockhart is a Portable Console?

MAtgS

Not talking about Series X or the One X my dude. This is the Lockhart/Series S we're talking about, which is already rumored to be $199-$249.

And yeah, besides, this post was clearly just for fun and dreams 😅
Lockhart/Series S is still a next-gen system & not weaker than a 1X. It'll probably realistically be $300 at the lowest.

ZehDon

Gold Member
Some good posts in this thread. Originally, when the rumours of a lower spec machine surfaced, I thought about a handheld. Every next gen game on the go? Boom - Microsoft land their kill shot!
But, as others have highlighted here, the physical restrictions on it just prevent it from happening. Unless Microsoft and AMD’s engineers have created a literally technical miracle, getting the power and heat into and out of a box in held held form - even for the lower specs of Lockheart - is just impossible.

I think the differentiator is going to be the pricing model, not the form factor. A smaller box, sure, but about as portable as a GameCube.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Isn't the Switch rated at like 15W power consumption. I'd guess Lockhart will pull around 85-100W. xCloud is Microsoft's portable system. Get a Moga, Ipega, or Xbox controller and sync it to your phone. Right now you can play around 100 Xbox games for free during the beta and it works pretty good.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Wait, what if its actually a hybrid, massively under clocked in portable mode, full power when plugged in.......any chance then?
And maybe we have the price wrong, what if its a $399 portable with an oled screen?

Last edited:

Aidah

I don't think it's possible that it's a handheld sized portable, and if it was it would be more expensive that Series X.

Last edited:

Jubenhimer

If Lockhart was a mobile device, then the Switch is going to have some real competition for once, which is a plus in my book.

ZywyPL

Banned
Portable and cheap don't go along, so no. But Spencer said "family of devices" when announcing Project Scarlett, so it can mean two, but it can mean more as well, so who knows, maybe they will have some sort of a handheld/xCloud-only device along with Series X and Lockhart.

Would excite me more than the actual next gen consoles tbh. Portable MvC2?! Portable RE CvX HD?! Bring it on! I miss portable systems so much, playing RE2 on my Vita Slim before bed was a nice routine to have. In theory the Switch could fill that void, but the drifting joycons left me cynical of that platform. A revision that fixes the drift is desperately needed...

Top Bottom