• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What improvements would you like to see in a switch revision

cormack12

Gold Member
As requested in here

Lot of effort in this so let's try not shitposting. Well, until at least page 2 :)

Nintendo has released a significant revision to every single handheld they have ever made within 2-3 years of the original's release. Every Nintendo console except the N64 and Wii U has seen at least one revision. So a New Nintendo Switch XL/Plus/SP/Micro/Mini/Air/Pro/Lite/Advance/Pocket/i/S/X is not a question of if but a question of when.

Nintendo could charge more for the XL, even if the size of the handheld itself isn't any bigger, because the screen size, battery life, performance and internal storage would all be significantly larger. Given Nintendo’s history as well as the impending release of the iPhone X and Xbox One X, would anyone be surprised by a improved Nintendo Switch X in a few years?

Below is my wishlist:

Daj2Ztf.jpg

1. A Bezel Free 7.5 inch screen that continues to support all existing Joy-Cons

Many of this year's high end smartphones offer bezel free displays even though smartphones have much much smaller bezels than the Nintendo Switch.

Large bezels do not offer any advantages for a device like the Nintendo Switch. By eliminating the Switch's bezel, you would increase the screen size from 6.2 inches to 7.5 inches and thereby provide improved immersion. Even the 1 cm bezels found on the Dell XPS laptop would be a substantial improvement over the current bezel size.

A Switch X that does away with the bezel so that it retains the same external dimensions and still supports all existing Joy-Cons, utilizing a low power 7.5 inch bezel free Samsung OLED or Sharp IGZO 1080p display, would be a glorious thing.

QkX0xYS.jpg

2. Eight hours of battery life by shrinking the manufacturing process from 20nm down to 7nm

TSMC recently started accepting volume orders for their upcoming 7nm node for mass production in 2018. https://www.google.com/amp/wccftech.com/tsmc-starts-prototype-7nm-chips-2018/amp/ Assuming that Nintendo places a volume order now in order to release a Switch Revision built on 7nm thereby greatly improving power efficiency, the shrink from 20nm down to 7nm should provide for an additional 4-5 hours of battery life.

The current Switch gets about 3hrs of battery life and uses 20 watts at peak load. A Switch built on the 7nm process should be able to bring that power consumption down to less than 10 watts under peak load even if running at "docked mode" performance levels. Additional power savings could be achieved by switching to either Sharp's bezel free low power IGZO displays or Samsung’s bezel free low power OLED displays.

In addition to offering a longer battery life, a die shrink offers Nintendo the chance to dramatically improve the Switch’s performance in portable mode. The 20nm Tegra X1 in the current Switch has 4 A53 core that are disabled and just take up space. A redesigned 7nm Tegra X1 could forego these cores altogether and be programmed to run at 768MHz at all times. https://www.polygon.com/2016/12/19/14005792/nintendo-switch-docked-power-details

With a 7nm Tegra X1, you would achieve docked performance for all games even when the system is undocked, and at least 6-7 hours of battery life. Portable games would more consistently run at 720p 60fps. The smaller more power efficient 7nm Tegra X1 would also enable them to forego the fan altogether and include a larger battery inside the system. Ideally, with this larger battery, eight hours of battery life is achievable.

How much would you pay for a Switch X that features a larger, more immersive, bezel free 1080p display, docked level performance at all times, and eight hours of battery life? I would happily pay $400-500. Of course, these improvements only matter to players that wish to use the Switch as a handheld. Docked only players should continue to purchase the normal Switch for substantially less.

8VdEW10.jpg

3. Some modest improvements to the Switch's design

• Improved WiFi performance;
  • Placing the usb, type c charging port on the top rather than the bottom so that people can continue to charge the Switch while they are playing in handheld and table top modes;
  • The built in kickstand is almost nonfunctional, the Nintendo Switch XL should incorporate a revised, wider, more stable, kickstand. Perhaps something closer to the kickstand found in the Microsoft Surface tablets;
  • The current dock that comes with the Switch is notorious for scratching up the Switch's screen when it's docked. The Switch XL desperately needs to incorporate a more scratch resistant coating. In addition, the dock should be wider and should have felt on the inside so that it won't scratch up the screen even if rubs up against it;
  • The Switch should be compatible with Bluetooth Headphones such as the AirPods and with the Wii U Pro Controller. Both are bluetooth devices and there is no reason they shouldn't be compatible with the Switch. In addition, the Switch Pro Controller badly needs a built in headphone jack;
  • The Switch XL revision should have 128GB-256GB of on board storage, out of the box. 32GB is far too small for a device that won’t be released until at least 2019, especially when they're pushing digital so much. By then, digital Gamecube, Wii and Wii U Virtual Console releases eating up storage space is an inevitability. Today, the average consumer can go out and purchase a 128GB-256GB memory card to be shipped to their home for less than $20-30. There is no reason why it would cost Nintendo in 2019 any more than $10-15 to bulk order 128GB-256GB of storage;
  • The design and placement of the Home button is ugly, distracting and should be revised in the Switch XL. There is no reason for the Home button to have a white circle encircling it. Ideally, the Home button should be a single black circle (no white border) with a corresponding circular Capture button on the left Joy-Con identical in size and shape to the Home button;
  • The overall design of the Switch and the Joy-Cons would also improve significantly if the Capture and Home buttons were both round and perfectly centered (or at least aligned with the other buttons) on their respective Joy-Cons so that they line up directly under the Joystick and Down/B Button and act as the center button when the Joy-Con is held sideways;
  • To summarize, the Switch's design would look much cleaner and more symmetric if both the Home and the Capture Buttons are identical in shape (2 identical black circles without the gray/white circle around them) and centered in position, or at least aligned with the other buttons, on each respective Joy-Con.

Pokemon-GO-APK-DOWNLOAD-for-Android-Latest-Version-and-PC.jpg

4. Microphone and Camera in the center for Voice Chat and AR Games

• It's needlessly clunky that you need to use your phone for Voice Chat during Switch multiplayer games. There is no reason they couldn't add a microphone to enable proper Voice Chat. Even the DS had a microphone.

hqdefault.jpg

• A high resolution centered rear camera would enable lots of fun AR games (The Machines, Pokemon Go, Pokemon Snap, Face Raiders, and Minecraft AR Edition) that are simply not possible without a centered rear camera. Playing Face Raiders on 3DS thanks to the built in camera was a blast. Pokemon Go is the most played Nintendo game at the moment and The Machines and the AR edition of Minecraft look to blow AR Games wide open.

Nintendo-Joy-Con.png

5. Improved Joy-Con Controllers

• The Joy-Con controllers are overall decent and any future revision should retain backwards compatibility with all existing Joy-Con Controllers. However, there are some revisions and minor adjustments that would significantly improve their design and functionality;
  • The Joy-Cons should have bigger buttons, the current buttons are uncomfortably small;
  • Many gamers would prefer analog buttons and triggers for the revised Joy-Cons, as well as an optional sensor bar, stylus and IR functionality so that the Switch XL gains perfect compatibility with future Virtual Console Wii, Wii U and Gamecube releases;
  • The Pro Joy-Cons would benefit from improved triggers so that they can be used sideways even without a Joy-Con strap attached. The strap is somewhat inconvenient to always have to carry around and affix to the Joy-Con each time, so the ability to comfortably use the Joy-Con sideways even without a strap, would be welcome. I dislike the feel of the thin "L" & "R" triggers. Larger, more comfortable analog sticks would be nice as well.

Cs559P9UkAAJjnF.jpg

• Some custom JoyCons tailored for individual games could add an extra layer of immersion to games;
  • Any and all future Joy-Cons should have slightly improved range and more resiliency to wireless interference in order to fix the desyncing issues the current Joy-Cons suffer from;
  • The buttons and joysticks should be slightly further spaced apart and vertically centered so that the Right Joy-Con can be used comfortably when sideways. With the current design, the Left Joy-Con is far more comfortable to hold and use than the Right Joy-Con. Perhaps move the Home and Capture buttons to the center and space the buttons and joysticks farther apart to achieve this;
  • To this end, the Joy-Con's would be far more comfortable to use sideways and the Switch's design would look much cleaner and more symmetric if both the Home and the Capture Buttons are centered in position on each respective Joy-Con and identical in shape (2 identical black circles without the gray/white circle around them).

EeGSOxm.jpg

6. Optional Pro Joy-Cons intended primarily for when the Switch is being used as a portable

It would be ideal if the Pro Joy-Cons utilized something closer to a D-Pad for at least the left Joy-Con (the PS Vita's D-Pad is a perfect compromise between split buttons and D-Pad functionality).

These Pro Joy-Cons should feature substantially improved ergonomics and maybe even a new finish. Some players report disliking the finish used on the Switch and it's Joy-Cons, because it soaks up sweat and grease.

It goes without saying that any Pro Joy-Cons should feature large, curved, fully Analog Triggers, large buttons and improved Analog Sticks.

71CMzVeUw3L._SL1500_.jpg

7. An Optional Standalone Dock with Improved Graphical Fidelity facilitating Wii U Virtual Console releases

Either a standalone console, or an updated dock, sold separately, with an integrated fan and improved performance should allow more games to attain 1080p 60 fps consistently when docked. If this dock was also compatible with all existing Switches, it would be a dream come true for many console only gamers.

They could potentially do away with the dock aspect altogether and market it as a Switch TV similar to the Shield TV, just a box you can put your game carts in that plugs into the TV and supports Netflix, HBO, Hulu, Amazon Video and Plex.

The Switch TV could feature a GTX 1060 along with GDDR5 ram for dramatically improved performance. No screen, no battery and no Joy-Cons, ideal both as a supplemental device so that people don’t have to keep their Switch inside their entertainment center, and as an alternative for gamers that want a more traditional console experience.

With a standalone box, you should be able to mirror your Switch XL to the Switch TV (similar to the Wii U or akin to AirPlay mirroring the iPhone to an Apple TV) and thereby enable compatibility for Virtual Console Wii U games like Nintendo Land and Game & Wario.

What improvements would you like to see in the eventual Switch revision?

If anyone here has the means to communicate these gaming requests to Nintendo directly, many Switch fans would greatly appreciate you taking the time to pass our wishes to Nintendo directly. These improvements would make the Nintendo Switch XL the single greatest handheld ever made in every respect. The only thing holding the Switch back from that title currently is the oversized bezel and the poor battery life.

odhiex

Yes, I love all the design above. My preference is lighter, slimmer, less bezels and better screen.

I am less care with motion cotrollers. Better ergonomics overall is much more important.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
  • 1080p screen with smaller bezel.
  • Better battery.
  • To run with docked clocks and resolution in portable mode.

That is all thats needed an IPS screen tech is fine OLED would just jack up the price.

Yeah, I'd definitely think removing the bezels and having a larger screen, or perhaps the same screen size but removing the bezels to have a shorter screen(length wise).

I think having X2 specs would be great. 2x the battery life, twice the RAM and bandwidth, 1.5x the GPU(and CPU?). It could trade blows with xbone OG. However if we get 1080p screen with x2 specs, then it would likely have the same battary life as the current switch.. So the node would need to be shrunk significantly. I don't think 7nm is happening anytime soon, at least not until 2019-2020. Not sure if Nintendo would be willing to go there that soon. I do hope for a souped up dock mode though that rivals PS4 Pro/Xbone X in power the most.

Water

Complement it with a non-handheld version at $200 with a good amount of storage standard. If you want a home console and have no interest in a handheld, the current system is a complete joke at its price point.

While sticking to the same performance as OG Switch, it could use non-mobile parts (such as memory chips) that are cheaper and more available than the mobile parts that all phones are competing for. It could still be slim and actually more portable in terms of slipping it into a bag and carrying it to a TV elsewhere because it wouldn't need a huge separate dock, external power brick, and it wouldn't have a battery or display built in.

iswasdoes

You can allready use bluetooth headset

Not naively

Like all these suggestions. The powered dock one is interesting but I worry it will start to fragment the switch ecosystem too much - I think one of its strengths right now is simplicity. So id personally save this for Switch 2 rather than a current gen revision.

Also I hope we get some of them without a hardware revision. There is no hardware reason the current switch cant do native voice chat or bluetooth headphones. These are just bizzare nintendo choices. Im hopeful (but in no way optimistic) they will fix these issues with a software update.

I’d definitely get a pro version of the switch not too worried bout if it’s smaller but what would be nice is having an OLED screen with HDR.

Like my new iPhone X :)

Great shout on the bezels. It's no coincidence that the dimensions of the existing bezels are already respecting the 16:9 aspect ratio of the display, so like in your mockup below you could increase the screen size in all dimensions and there wouldn't be any wasted space. Which is different to how smartphones are doing it - you get a taller screen (iPhone X is 19.5:9) but not a larger 16:9 screen.

I would be against upgrading the screen to 1080p, however. The gains from 1080p would not be worth the increased power draw from the display itself and from the GPU needing to render more pixels in handheld mode. Sticking with 720p would net a significant battery life gain and you would also have more Switch games hitting native resolution. Or if the move to a 7.5" display reduces pixel density too much, Nintendo could request a screen resolution that respects the original pixel density of the Switch's 6.2", 720p display.

I'd definitely welcome a new Switch like this. I hope Nintendo just calls it the Switch 2 and slashes the price of the Switch 1 by $50-100. There should never be a cheaper, cut-down version of the Switch like the 2DS. Nintendo should continue to sell older models instead at a lower price. In a few years time Switch 3 could be out with Switch 2 being the entry level model at a lower price.

SeppOCE

Excellent pick up on the bezels I would have never thought of that honestly, damn the mockup looks great too man.

Honestly I'd like more on-board storage and significantly improved battery life for the most part but removing the bezels seems like a must now.

NickMitch

Better sticks on the joycons. With a bit more resistance and smoothness to them. As of now they almost feel digital

I saw other Switch revision threads and I was always surprised so few people noticed or commented on the large bezel before. The bezel is very prominent.

Vitacat

Wow, nice work on the topic.

Main thing I'd like is less bezel and larger screen.

Also, a newer revision of the NVidia hardware inside with better battery life and improved performance (pretty sure that will happen, but not for a long time).

Pepboy

This is more or less the definitive list for me. Outstanding job on this thread.

Only caveat is the mic. I think they scrapped the mic because that was one of the earliest ways people put homebrew on 3DS. And virtually no 3ds games used the mic. They probably saw that and decided it wasn't necessary... And I'm inclined to agree for the time being.

But otherwise amazing collection of suggestions.

Tadaima

A larger screen would reduce pixel density. Greater resolution would decrease battery life. And it's Nintendo we're talking about here; they're not going to (significantly) bump the specs. "Lateral thinking with withered technology" has been the company's mantra since its founding days.

Personally hoping for a better kickstand, relocated charge port, any possible improvements to power efficiency, and better wireless communication between joy-cons and system when used docked.

The joy-con issue is the biggest for me. I actually find them comfortable enough but I feel they can be intermittently unresponsive.

DonF

do a revision a la psp/vita
more ram, better battery life. Right now I get anxious playing in handheld mode, checking the battery every couple of minutes. Less bezel would make it look so much better, but its not a must right now for me. Maybe in a couple of years, for the switch pro x.

Blam

I'd want if anything a New™️ Switch because a better screen faster and more features is all for me.

delete12345

Usually, with less bezel, we get a price hike, because that means you get more LED screen real estate while keeping the same pixel density. If the screen has less bezel, it'll 100% definitely be a plastic screen, as it is right now.

A compromise I would rather have is, yes less bezel, but still at least 0.75 centimeters thick, because the bezels themselves are there for structural reasons for the screen. You need something to hold the plastic outer layer of the screen in place, while being shock-absorbent so it doesn't smudge the LED panel underneath, looking something like this (sans the cracked glass).

I'm just throwing out the idea that having a really thin bezel is not worth designing for, unless we really jack up the price a lot. A thinner, but still thick bezel is fine with me.

-----

And one last thing, what is everyone's expected price range for all of the features mentioned above? For me, if I were to include all of the listed features, asking for an MSRP of north of $400 would be reasonable.

Smash Kirby

Neo Member
I think Nintendo should have a slider for a charging only USB c port on the back to allow table top charging, and 64-128 built storage if it economical.

Camaway2

Amazing first post. This is why I am so happy GAF keeps going. I'd love a larger screen with a better contrast, the colors always look a bit washed out in mobile view compared to a good telly.

Newk86

My wish is for a portable only version. Skimp on the power, only needs to run at 720p, smaller form factor, no detachable Joy-Cons, no dock. Just something that will play cartridges on the go with as long a battery life as possible.

RootCause

Lack of bezel might affect the durability of the joycon hook system.

I'd rather they focus on something more meaningful. Like, improved battery life, and better quality screen.
Dual slot for micro sd card, and retain joycon compatibility. Oh, and make a better dock, with a cooling fan.

kunonabi

There is a ton of stuff id like changed but the big ones id settle for:

A goddamn dpad
A less hideous and better designed dock
Built in straps for the joycons
Bring back the speakers for the joycons
Better looking switch unit that isnt just a big black brick that clashes with the colorful joycons

Id also like a smaller switch unit with built in screen protection but that ship has pretty much sailed.

In the end though ill buy a Switch has soon as it gets a dpad and a better dock.

Si2k78

These upgrades would be better suited for an eventual switch 2. I don’t see Nintendo going this drastic for a simple revision. I’m hoping for better battery life, more internal storage (128gb) would be ideal and a better kickstand on the back of the unit. Everything else is gravy. A bezeless screen would hike the price immensely.

RPGCrazied

Probably won't buy another one anytime soon, just got mine. But I'd like to see one without the handheld part. Just put all the handheld guts into the dock unit and just make it a console. Not really a handheld gamer.

Sojiro

Lack of bezel might affect the durability of the joycon hook system.

I'd rather they focus on something more meaningful. Like, improved battery life, and better quality screen.
Dual slot for micro sd card, and retain joycon compatibility. Oh, and make a better dock, with a cooling fan.

Good call on another micro SD card slot, definitely agree with this! I am always up for a longer battery, and for the love of god a dock that doesn't risk scratching your screen is a must. Speaking of docks, I would totally be down for a dock that actually adds resources to for the switch to improve resolution/frames for games ( I would fully expect that to be a separate optional purchase). Also, a joycon with a real D-pad (also fix all the pro controller dpads!) would be pretty damn nice. Oh and fix that joke of a kickstand Nintendo!

zenspider

Honestly, I'd like to see a 2DS style revision for children who might be rough on a console - possibly a portable only.

A higher end model seems interesting, but the machine already feels huge playing handheld in bed.

batrush

System seriously needs better battery life. Stays home 100% of the time for this sole reason. Better stand for tabletop mode too.

Could a mod please change the thread title to

"What hardware improvements would you like to see in a Nintendo Switch XL revision?"

I am working on a separate thread for software improvements the Nintendo Switch XL needs.

I'm not sure how to contact a mod about getting that changed.

TheGamer

Nintendo-Joy-Con.png

5. Improved Joy-Con Controllers

• The Joy-Con controllers are overall decent and any future revision should retain backwards compatibility with all existing Joy-Con Controllers. However, there are some revisions and minor adjustments that would significantly improve their design and functionality;
  • The Joy-Cons should have bigger buttons, the current buttons are uncomfortably small;
  • Many gamers would prefer analog buttons and triggers for the revised Joy-Cons, as well as an optional sensor bar, stylus and IR functionality so that the Switch XL gains perfect compatibility with future Virtual Console Wii, Wii U and Gamecube releases;
  • The Pro Joy-Cons would benefit from improved triggers so that they can be used sideways even without a Joy-Con strap attached. The strap is somewhat inconvenient to always have to carry around and affix to the Joy-Con each time, so the ability to comfortably use the Joy-Con sideways even without a strap, would be welcome. I dislike the feel of the thin "L" & "R" triggers. Larger, more comfortable analog sticks would be nice as well.

Cs559P9UkAAJjnF.jpg

• Some custom JoyCons tailored for individual games could add an extra layer of immersion to games;
  • Any and all future Joy-Cons should have slightly improved range and more resiliency to wireless interference in order to fix the desyncing issues the current Joy-Cons suffer from;
  • The buttons and joysticks should be slightly further spaced apart and vertically centered so that the Right Joy-Con can be used comfortably when sideways. With the current design, the Left Joy-Con is far more comfortable to hold and use than the Right Joy-Con. Perhaps move the Home and Capture buttons to the center and space the buttons and joysticks farther apart to achieve this;
  • To this end, the Joy-Con's would be far more comfortable to use sideways and the Switch's design would look much cleaner and more symmetric if both the Home and the Capture Buttons are centered in position on each respective Joy-Con and identical in shape (2 identical black circles without the gray/white circle around them).

EeGSOxm.jpg

I would love to have these Joy-Cons. The Gamecube color scheme looks amazing.

magnumpy

I'd just like an actual portable version. make it small, like DS/3DS size with the controllers permanently attached. I think it would be a killer product for ~$200. make this happen Nintendo!

LaserHawk

I think I'd prefer the structural strength the bezel provides over a few added millimeters of screen space you'd get from reducing the bezel.

But I like most of the other ideas. It's a shame the Switch doesn't have a camera.

dcx4610

- Pascal chip or better
- More screen, less bezel
- Dual kickstands or better quality kickstand
- Analog triggers
- Joycons for past systems and at a more affordable price (NES/SNES/GC/N64)

That's really it. It's a nice system as-is that cut a few corners.

Dives

Neo Member
The internal storage is EMMC memory: Very fast, very expensive. They can't include 128GB without significantly increasing the price.

Insaniac

serious question:
would a 1080p screen in portable just be pointless since all the games are optimized for 720p in handheld?

Honestly, my biggest gripe would just be a better battery life. Its never been a big issue for me since I bring a portable battery if i travel, but, even having a few extra hours would be nice.

Kimawolf

Extra storage is a great idea. they could sell Switch as is, in current configuration and offer a 256GB version as well.

But I honestly think we'll get the Switch Pro/Switch 2 in 2020 which WILL have those improvements mentioned, and probably a 1080p screen and Nvidias then current generation Tegra chip (pushing it near/at 1TF of power).

They'll sell the original Switch as well at a discounted price as well. and keep that every two/three years a new version comes out with previous model being base/default model.

serious question:
would a 1080p screen in portable just be pointless since all the games are optimized for 720p in handheld?

Honestly, my biggest gripe would just be a better battery life. Its never been a big issue for me since I bring a portable battery if i travel, but, even having a few extra hours would be nice.

The biggest issue is the power atm. but in 2 years I believe a Switch could be powerful enough to drive a 1080p screen.

Top Bottom