• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What improvements would you like to see in a switch revision

I'm puzzled on why we aren't getting 4k releases on the Switch. I'm not a "tech guy" but the Nvidia specs page for the chip says it can handle 4k.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/tegra-x1-processor.html

"TEGRA X1 PROCESSOR SPECIFICATIONS

Tegra X1 GPU NVIDIA Maxwell 256-core GPU
DX-12, OpenGL 4.5, NVIDIA CUDA®, OpenGL ES 3.1, AEP, and Vulkan CPU 4 CPU-cores, 64-bit ARM® CPU
4x A57 2MB L2 VIDEO H.265, VP9 4K 60 fps Video
4k H.265, 4k VP9, 4k H.264 POWER 20 nm SOC - TSMC
Isolated Power Rails, Fourth-Generation Cluster Switching DISPLAY 4K x 2K @60 Hz, 1080p @120 Hz
HDMI 2.0 60 fps, HDCP 2.2"

Is it because it can go into handheld mode the reason 4k isn't possible/not being used? Basically the chip is being severely throttled for heat/battery issues?

All I want in a revision is a more powerful graphics chip. I'd settle for something along PS4 Pro level performance/visuals.

I'd gladly pay another $100 for a more powerful Switch(while maintaining backwards capability of course)

I’m wondering that too. There is zero reason the Home screen can’t be 4K when docked. It’s not even 1080p. It’s 720p which looks blurry as hell on every 4k tv.

Last edited:
I'd be interested in a box that runs switch games at 4k60 for $200. Have zero interest in the portable side of it, and I think it compromises their position in the home console space.

I miss the Nintendo that made the SNES, 64 and Gamecube. Those were all powerhouse machines.

The Switch is a powerhouse handheld that just so happens to have a tv out port. As a handheld nothing comes close to its performance. I don’t think it’s fair to compare it to consoles.

If it’s possible for them to do a powerful console that can do 4k60 of Switch games, that would indeed be very cool.

With so many comments made already, sorry if this has been said, but a nice media player would be nice. Nothing fancy, just something I can play some of my personal movies/shows on the Switch. Yeah, I can do it on my phone or tablet, but it's a nice option to have on the Switch. It was nice when I loaded some movies on the Vita. Would like the same on the Switch.

MultiCore

The Switch is a powerhouse handheld that just so happens to have a tv out port. As a handheld nothing comes close to its performance. I don’t think it’s fair to compare it to consoles.

If it’s possible for them to do a powerful console that can do 4k60 of Switch games, that would indeed be very cool.
Every flagship phone on the market trades blows with its GPU performance, and most phone have faster CPUs. Most phones have better screens. You can use better controllers with phones as well. It's just the software that makes people even look at the switch. It doesn't even do 1080p docked. It looks great compared to the Wii and Wii U, but that's the lowest of bars.

You really kicked Nintendo's dock efforts in the groin with your post, but I agree, it compares poorly to actual home consoles, and it's unfair for Nintendo to tell the home market that this is all you can expect from them for a home console.

Donnie

Every flagship phone on the market trades blows with its GPU performance, and most phone have faster CPUs. Most phones have better screens. You can use better controllers with phones as well. It's just the software that makes people even look at the switch. It doesn't even do 1080p docked. It looks great compared to the Wii and Wii U, but that's the lowest of bars.

Sorry but you don't you what you're talking about. You're looking at the specs of phones and assuming they're comparable but for gaming they aren't. Not only because phones aren't designed to run at full load consistently but also because the operating systems they use just aren't optimised for gaming. While most of these flagship phones have GPUs that can theoretically trade blows with Switch, in reality they can't compete.

Also it's quite strange that you say it can't do 1080p docked, as if it's some kind of hard rule, Switch has plenty of 1080p games. How many mobile phone games do you think are genuinely 1080p? ;)

Last edited:

MultiCore

Sorry but you don't you what you're talking about. You're looking at the specs of phones and assuming they're comparable but for gaming they aren't. Not only because phones aren't designed to run at full load consistently but also because the operating systems they use just aren't optimised for gaming. While most of these flagship phones have GPUs that can theoretically trade blows with Switch, in reality they can't compete.

Also it's quite strange that you say it can't do 1080p docked, as if it's some kind of hard rule, Switch has plenty of 1080p games. How many mobile phone games do you think are genuinely 1080p? ;)

You must not think the consoles are comparable to PC's either. It's the same argument that's been trotted out since the mid 90's. It's always been wrong.

What are you winking for? Because your entire post is a troll? The Tegra X1 is a known quantity, and it exists outside the Switch.
https://www.notebookcheck.net/Adreno-540-vs-Tegra-X1-Maxwell-GPU_7714_6152.247598.0.html

Last edited:
With so many comments made already, sorry if this has been said, but a nice media player would be nice. Nothing fancy, just something I can play some of my personal movies/shows on the Switch. Yeah, I can do it on my phone or tablet, but it's a nice option to have on the Switch. It was nice when I loaded some movies on the Vita. Would like the same on the Switch.

Agree completely. The Switch has the biggest screen of any handheld I own, streaming 720p content (or playing off my sd card) would be amazing on it, but sadly that’s not an option yet which I don’t understand. If the Netflix and Hulu can run on the freaking Wii, surely they can run on a Switch.

Dakhil

Agree completely. The Switch has the biggest screen of any handheld I own, streaming 720p content (or playing off my sd card) would be amazing on it, but sadly that’s not an option yet which I don’t understand. If the Netflix and Hulu can run on the freaking Wii, surely they can run on a Switch.

I can only guess Nintendo may want to wait until their online service is launched to have Netflix and Hulu available on the Nintendo Switch, which I think is dumb. But then again, Nintendo, at times, doesn't make any sense when it comes to decisions.

Build quality. Something that feels like a Nintendo product and not a third party production with their logo slapped on.

#itsprintsmoneybecausewedontlikespendingit

kunonabi

Build quality. Something that feels like a Nintendo product and not a third party production with their logo slapped on.

#itsprintsmoneybecausewedontlikespendingit

Yeah, it's hard going from the handheld perfection that is the new 3ds to the switch. Hopefully, they really knock it out of the park when they get around to the revision.

Yeah, it's hard going from the handheld perfection that is the new 3ds to the switch. Hopefully, they really knock it out of the park when they get around to the revision.

Yes indeed. First gen products have always felt a bit like paid Beta tests to me when contrasted to what comes along with the revision and with the Switch I'm hoping for the same kind of leap we got from the DS to the DS Lite. Then I'll be in!

#shallowgangcheckingin

Last edited:

Narroo

You really kicked Nintendo's dock efforts in the groin with your post, but I agree, it compares poorly to actual home consoles, and it's unfair for Nintendo to tell the home market that this is all you can expect from them for a home console.
Smartphones have better performances for all of five minutes before they throttle themselves. Smartphones are not meant to run at full speed continuously; there is a reason why the Switch has a fan while Smartphones do not. Not to mention the fact that a high powered Smartphone is going to cost you $600-$1,000.

I actually hope Nintendo begins to venture into the VR realm with a future switch. It's compact and portable design is ideal. Once the specs can support a game like Mario Odyssey, Mario Kart or Breath of the Wild in 4K, we're there.

The kinds of worlds that Nintendo builds (bright, beautiful, not graphically intensive) are perfect for the VR realm.

GoldenEye98

posts news as their odd job
I actually hope Nintendo begins to venture into the VR realm with a future switch. It's compact and portable design is ideal. Once the specs can support a game like Mario Odyssey, Mario Kart or Breath of the Wild in 4K, we're there.

The kinds of worlds that Nintendo builds (bright, beautiful, not graphically intensive) are perfect for the VR realm.

I hope they go into the VR realm but not with Switch. It would limit the hardware.

I think VR is ripe with opportunity if someone can figure out the right type of gameplay for it. Nintendo is pretty good at that.

clem84

Gold Member
A dock with a HDD, so we can download more than 32GB of games and be able to transfer the games we want to play on the go.

The current screen is fine, but a screen with better contrast would be an improvement.

Slightly better build quality... Sure, why not.

mrbogus

Neo Member

I think its entirely possible for Nintendo to come out with a VR device similar to something like the Samsung Gear VR. A small handheld that hooks into a pair of goggles with some bluetooth controllers. If you don't want the VR you just take off the goggles and play without them.

Caayn

Give me a screen that's usable when you're outside. The current model is unusable thanks to low brightness and glossy screen.

camelCase

Controllers that don't cost close to a hundred dollars. How that isn't a "full stop" for many ppl I have never understood and yes that goes for XB& PS too.

Please forgive if is this a dumb question, but is it possible that the bevel size is as wide as it is for structural integrity reasons. Given that there's a lot of wrist torque and that the joycon slides are a fail-point, does the bevel hide necessary engineering, perhaps?

DonF

now that he honeymoon fase is over...I need better battery life. I played bayonetta for like 1 hour and a half and that's not even an online game.

iHaunter

Bluetooth. Nintendo's technology is always decades behind everyone else.

Huge pet peeve of mine from Nintendo. No bluetooth on DS or Switch, for a $300 console it's absolutely embarrassing.

odhiex

Bluetooth. Nintendo's technology is always decades behind everyone else.

Huge pet peeve of mine from Nintendo. No bluetooth on DS or Switch, for a $300 console it's absolutely embarrassing.

Yes, please support the bluetooth headsets.

pickleslips

Just make the joycons with decent thumb sticks and a d pad option and i'd be happy. The current ones are a fuckin nightmare

Dakhil

Slimmer
4k amoled screen
Better Battery life
More RAM
Better GPU and CPU

I doubt that even with a better SoC (Tegra X2 or Tegra Xavier), you're going to get better battery life with a 4K AMOLED screen, since you're pushing 9x more pixels at 4K (8,294,400 pixels) compared to 720p (921,600 pixels).

DonJimbo

I doubt that even with a better SoC (Tegra X2 or Tegra Xavier), you're going to get better battery life with a 4K AMOLED screen, since you're pushing 9x more pixels at 4K (8,294,400 pixels) compared to 720p (921,600 pixels).
A Man can dream;)
But yeah youre right with a 1080p screen its a better choice

TYRiAX

I guess my 2 cents:
  • Larger screen to reduce bezel size, I guess if you make the screen bigger you might need to go to 1080p
  • CPU/GPU/RAM bump to at the minimum offset the performance hit from increasing screen resolution
  • Bluetooth 5.0 (hopefully that allows for more connected devices? especially would want aptx-HD support for bluetooth cans)
  • Better wi-fi chip to increase download speeds
  • If we are filling this thing with more power hungry screen, cpu etc I would be fine with the same battery life/weight

Give me a screen that's usable when you're outside. The current model is unusable thanks to low brightness and glossy screen.

Excellent point that I left out of the OP. The screen is awful for outdoor use. I really hope they address this with the revision.

So games can run at 10fps i guess
Naw. 4k support wouldn't have to be used for the game to be worthwhile. If just the UI, the in game HUD, the prerendered cutscenes, and the Netflix/Youtube/HBO apps were all rendered in 4k, it would make a huge difference while having minimal impact on GPU resources.

I hope we see a revision within the next year. 7nm is here finally and Im excited to see what kind of performance the switch can get with a 7nm chip.

Dakhil

I think that releasing the Nintendo Switch revision in 2019 would cannibalise sales of the current Nintendo Switch model since people will just wait for the Nintendo Switch revision instead of buying current Nintendo Switch model. And I imagine 7 nm SoCs would still be expensive in 2019 since mobile phones will just start to use 7 nm SoCs in 2019.

I think 2020 is a good year to release the Nintendo Switch revision.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
At best it will be different color with a better screen

Changing the size of it would destroy all current joycon comparability as well or make an even more awkward holding experience

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
The current Switch model is quite good, in my opinion. It avoids the same "early model crappiness" that plagued DS and 3DS. Plus, since you will presumably be able to use your dock, wrist-straps, plastic controller shell, and Joycons with future revisions, it makes this model much less risky to jump in on. At worst, you're left with an inferior "tablet" but all the accessories can be transferred.

I'd like stronger rails and locking mechanism on the Switch itself.

tkscz

There have been rumors going about that Nintendo is already planning on releasing a "new" Nintendo Switch model with better hardware like they did with the 3DS

I'm surprised no one started a thread about this

nowhat

Better kickstand - the current one feels so flimsy I'm hesitant to use it. Just having two "legs" would be a major improvement.

And for the love of $DEITY, USB-C also at the top. It's incredibly stupid that without a separate stand (luckily cheap third-party options exist) you're unable to charge the device while having it on a table, short of laying it flat on the table.

Top Bottom