• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What improvements would you like to see in a switch revision

tronic307

Better analog sticks for the Joy-cons; they are clicky and wobbly in use. Make the Joy-con locks out of Delrin if not metal, they wear out too easily. Smaller process for the SOC for less heat, more battery life. More travel for the L R bumpers, maybe.

VillageBC

I want a Switch stationary. No screen, no dinky controllers, no dock. Just a small box that uses my TV screen and a pro controller like a regular console.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
I thought a lot about this..

I think they can't change the size unfortunately, for a lot of reasons.

If they shrink the internal hardware they can increase the battery life, also it may give them a little more space for a larger battery. That alone could give value to a revision. But I thik they could add a few things...

Kimishima mentioned the possibility of expanding the functionality, so things like camera or microphone..but mostly the internal storage.. that alone could stimulate a repurchase like it used to do for iPods.

Most likely all of that combined. There's definitely potential. Nintendo can't ignore the advancements in manufacturing with a functioning portable. A revision next year is definitely expected, it would be dumb for them not to.

ndtR4cl.png

...Nvme SSD was made for this device. Prices are going down. Someone, please tell me why a Switch with 250GB at 499 isnt a good idea.

isnt Storage vs battery?

I agree with everything you have said, this is a really great post!!

Thank you.

PS: Does anyone know how to contact a mod about getting the title changed. The thread title is supposed to be...

"What hardware improvements would you like to see in a Nintendo Switch XL revision?"

I am working on a separate thread with all the software requests people have...

Virtual Console
1080p dashboard
Netflix, HBO Now, Hulu, Plex, Internet, Amazon Video, Crackle, Crunchyroll etc.
Various games: Galaxy at 1080p, Wii Sports port at 1080p, FZERO, The Wii U Smash game but with all downloadable content, all the content from 3DS version and a new subspace emissary
A bunch of other frequently requested software enhancements

Any other software changes you want me to include?

Aztorian

Not too many changes since I don't feel like "upgrading" my Switch unless it provides smoother gameplay and perhaps higher resolutions.

But I think that different models of Joy-Cons would be really nice. When playing in handheld mode my right thumb gets numb after some time because my hand is in a really unnatural position.

The next is unlikely to ever happen but: Let us somehow play GB, GBA and even DS games through a cartridge slot on the dock or something. I would like to see how this would look on a TV.

OCD Guy

Oled display please. A 720p oled would be relatively cheap. Make it happen please.

Realistically make a model with more internal storage, regardless of how "easy" it is to buy a micro sd card, I'd still prefer to have the option of bigger internal storage.

Also add an X2 soc.

Infact if they released a "Switch Pro" with oled, 128gb internal storage and X2 soc I'd go insane....

serious question:
would a 1080p screen in portable just be pointless since all the games are optimized for 720p in handheld?

Honestly, my biggest gripe would just be a better battery life. Its never been a big issue for me since I bring a portable battery if i travel, but, even having a few extra hours would be nice.
Like it says in the OP, if they shrink the chip to a 7nm node, they could run at docked 1080p mode clockspeeds even when it's a being used as a portable while still significantly improving the battery life.

louis89

1. Bigger screen
2. White
3. Headphone jack on the bottom/bluetooth headphone support

That's basically all I want.

ndtR4cl.png

...Nvme SSD was made for this device. Prices are going down. Someone, please tell me why a Switch with 250GB at 499 isnt a good idea.

isnt Storage vs battery?

They run very hot. Very high energy usage. Very expensive.

Also I don't trust Nintendo enough to go digital only. I rather buy thier physical carts. So tons of storage does not attract me.

I rather they focus on other things. Nicer screen and build quality. Better portable mode performance and energy usage. Better battery etc.

ndtR4cl.png

isnt Storage vs battery?

$500? lol That shit ain't gonna sell. You're better off buying an SD card with the Switch. Right now bestbuy is selling 128GB cards for $30. You can get a 200GB for $70-80 also nowadays.

They run very hot. Very high energy usage. Very expensive.

Also I don't trust Nintendo enough to go digital only. I rather buy thier physical carts. So tons of storage does not attract me.

I rather they focus on other things. Nicer screen and build quality. Better portable mode performance and energy usage. Better battery etc.

If you're gonna buy AAA third party games though, you'll need an SD card at one point..

Anyway, I've said it before in the first page.. But to summarize what I want again in a switch version

-removable direction buttons on left joycon with included removable d-pad
-analog triggers
-initially 16nm pascal chip for 2x the energy efficiency or double the RAM and memory and 1.5xish the GPU and CPU power.. But might as well skip straight to Xavier to reach near 1TFLOP for GPU for a release of holiday 2018 ... or wait for 12nm by 2019?
-almost completely remove bezels to have a shorter(length wise) but same 6.2 inch screen size, OR keep same size switch with shorter bezels but more screen space
-1080p screen with pascal just isn't feasible, unless people want the same battery life as the current switch and/or a bigger battery somehow with the same form factor
-a docked version that matches PS4 and Xbox One X specs by 2019 Q4

ffvorax

I need an only portable revision, with no detachable controllers, tinier, cheaper. Then I'm set to buy it!

I don't think it's impossible, they sold that ugly N2D without the clam shell... they can also do this.

Fbh

After a bit over a month with my Switch I think the 3 things I'd change would be.
-Smaller bezel: I think the size of the console is great but a smaller bezel would increase the screen size without making the device bigger which would be awesome. Its also the trend with phones, laptops and TV's so I don't see why portable consoles wouldnt follow.

-Better battery life: If it could reach like 5 hours under normal condicions it would be great

- More internal storage: Not such a big issue since you can get a micro SD. But having at least 128gb of internal storage would be nice

Most of the other things I want are more Software related

OLED displays are very prone to burn in. I'd rather have a slightly worse panel last me for the foreseeable future than having the HUD of a game permanently stuck on my screen.

McLovin

Slightly more powerful so it can run without any hitches no matter what mode your on. A higher resolution screen. More internal storage. Better build quality. Dock gate stopped me dead in my tracks from getting one.

McLovin

I want a Switch stationary. No screen, no dinky controllers, no dock. Just a small box that uses my TV screen and a pro controller like a regular console.
Make it small with removable casing. Why you might ask? They can sell an nes case to make it look like a tiny nes, or maybe a GameCube one or N64😍😍😍
Sell them each with console themed joycons and I would go broke.

This but $50 cheaper and with the Pro controller sold separately please. I already have 2 Pro controllers, but would buy this if it gives 4k or at least a consistent 1080p. Hated constantly having to dock the Switch after use. A GTX 1060 in it would be glorious.

frankelliott

Neo Member
1. Bigger screen
2. White
3. Headphone jack on the bottom/bluetooth headphone support

That's basically all I want.
Why headphone jack on the bottom? Having it on the top has been incredibly useful for me when connecting docked to a computer monitor that doesn’t have speakers or its own sound output. I’d be stuck in silence if it was on the bottom.

Also applies when playing with the kickstand.

I am really happy with my Switch and I do not think the made any major mistakes with it. It has a lot of good games, a great screen, it works great when it's connected to a TV, it's cheap to expand storage and it has a decent battery life. It would be nice if it cost less, had a longer battery life and had more internal storage but none of these imperfects are critical. I would recommend the Switch to any game who likes Nintendo games or Japanese games. They are also getting a lot of good indie games on the system.

BreakAtmo

Extra storage is a great idea. they could sell Switch as is, in current configuration and offer a 256GB version as well.

But I honestly think we'll get the Switch Pro/Switch 2 in 2020 which WILL have those improvements mentioned, and probably a 1080p screen and Nvidias then current generation Tegra chip (pushing it near/at 1TF of power).

They'll sell the original Switch as well at a discounted price as well. and keep that every two/three years a new version comes out with previous model being base/default model.

The biggest issue is the power atm. but in 2 years I believe a Switch could be powerful enough to drive a 1080p screen.

Yeah, I think it would be good to have a genuine Switch 2 come sooner than we think - if they made it compatible with all of the accessories and allowed people to buy just the tablet for only $149-199, it would make the fast turnaround a lot more acceptable.

I think pushing for native 1080p would be a bad idea, though. Checkerboard 1080p would use less power and, on a 7.5" screen with mostly 60fps games, be virtually indistinguishable from native.

If the dock was something else than just a piece of plastic that makes connection to the TV, it would be great. Maybe they could add a co-processor or something like this in order to push higher resolutions when docked.

In terms of the console desing I do not see any big issue... The screen resolution is fine and the controls are ok. The only thing I see as a design breakdown is the kickstand that becomes completely useless when you start running out of battery. Maybe they should have looked into wireless charging and placed the usb-c on the top. My cellphone from 5 years ago already had that feature.

Tegra X2 plus larger 720p display in same chassis and improved Kickstand design with ability to support several angles would do me well for a Switch 2.

Switch 1 becomes entry level model at a lower price.

No bezels and a 550 ppi OLED display.

Buying a free-form OLED screen like that from a supplier like Samsung would cost Nintendo over $100 per screen. It's not going to happen unless they are building a high-end smartphone with a pricetag to match. They also would not be able to manufacture enough Switches - there's a reason why Google's Pixel 2 XL uses an inferior LG POLED display.

deathsaber

It really doesn't need much revision, but I could picture them making a dedicated joycon-less, one piece handheld iteration of the unit.

Give it a built in Dpad instead of the left joycon buttons- maybe an HDMI port so you can plug an optional cable into a tv for tv play (but you must buy buy your own joy-cons/pro controller if you want to play this, or use the handheld itself while tethered by cable) - it would come in an overall cheaper package since they could skip the dock, sell the charger/hdmi cable separately plus not having to include separate joy cons.

Sell this for $50-100 less than the standard unit.

matthewuk

I think a move to a smaller node like 14/16nm for improved battery life.

Larger near bezeless screen.

A modest bump in clock speed (ram and gpu) to iron out performance in portable mode.

A bump in CPU, GPU and Ram clock speed in docked mode to reach 1080p on newer games, older games only get GPU and RAM boost (with bump in CPU speed there may need to be a slight pause when docking so that game logic adjusts)

Minimum of 64gb storage

Bluetooth for headset's

I think a move to a smaller node like 14/16nm for improved battery life.

Larger near bezeless screen.

A modest bump in clock speed (ram and gpu) to iron out performance in portable mode.

A bump in CPU, GPU and Ram clock speed in docked mode to reach 1080p on newer games, older games only get GPU and RAM boost (with bump in CPU speed there may need to be a slight pause when docking so that game logic adjusts)

Minimum of 64gb storage

Bluetooth for headset's

I love all these suggestions :)

I am really happy with my Switch and I do not think the made any major mistakes with it. It has a lot of good games, a great screen, it works great when it's connected to a TV, it's cheap to expand storage and it has a decent battery life. It would be nice if it cost less, had a longer battery life and had more internal storage but none of these imperfects are critical. I would recommend the Switch to any game who likes Nintendo games or Japanese games. They are also getting a lot of good indie games on the system.

I agree with you completely. I love my switch and I do not feel they made any major mistakes with it.

I do think there are some areas that could be improved upon all described in the OP but I see no major mistakes with it

Yeah, I think it would be good to have a genuine Switch 2 come sooner than we think - if they made it compatible with all of the accessories and allowed people to buy just the tablet for only $149-199, it would make the fast turnaround a lot more acceptable.

I think pushing for native 1080p would be a bad idea, though. Checkerboard 1080p would use less power and, on a 7.5" screen with mostly 60fps games, be virtually indistinguishable from native.

As long as it has everything in the OP, I would love a Switch 2 soon.

Ive never ever heard of checkerboarding for 1080p, only for 4k. How does it look? Any screenshots or games that do this just to get to 1080p?

Dakhil

I don't know how realistic my wishlist is, but here is my wishlist for the Nintendo Switch revision.

- A 16 nm Pascal based Tegra SoC that's not only considerably more powerful, but also more power efficient (which I hope leads to less heat being created and a considerably longer battery life)

- Considerably reduced bezels

- The microSD card slot replaced with a regular SD card slot

- 64 GB as the minimum internal storage size in SKUs, with a 128 GB SKU as an option

- A better Wi-Fi card

- The microSD card slot replaced with a regular SD card slot

- SKUs with 64 GB as the minimum internal storage, with the 128 GB SKU as an option

- A more stabilised kickstand that can still be popped back on when popped off accidentally without compromising the kickstand's strength

- More ergonomic Joy-Cons

- Inclusion of analog triggers on the Joy-Cons

- A significantly smaller dock

- An Ethernet port built in the dock

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
I’d like to see the right analogue stick moved above the face buttons. I never play with a single joycon, so it is unnecessary and I find it’s current position slightly uncomfortable.

Of course, I’d be happy with it released seperately as a single joycon to purchase.

Top Bottom