• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What improvements would you like to see in a switch revision

If you want pocketability, not happening.

Might as well cede part of the market to mobile phones then. I'd totally be down with a pocket sized Switch. I mean, with my iPhone, there's not much point in carrying my iPad around.

Nintendo's portables have had that same advantage. The n3DS XL is still pocketable in spite of itself.

kubev

I'd like a Switch TV (essentially what PlayStation TV was to PlayStation Vita) sold on its own and in both Pro Controller and Joy-Con bundles. No screen, of course.

I'd like a Switch Mini, which was its own self-contained handheld that didn't have removable controllers. It'd also have a smaller screen and better battery life through whatever means. The smaller screen would also improve pixel density, retaining the same resolution. This would have its own dock that would leave the screen fully-exposed for use with system notifications (such as download progress, etc.).

As for the actual Switch revision, I'd completely ditch the existing rails on the sides of the system and Joy-Con, replacing them with an alternative design that couldn't be inserted incorrectly and didn't require that the layout for the new and improved Joy-Con be super-awkward. The analog stick and face buttons would be positioned much more sensibly (equidistant from each edge) with an L-shaped strap assembly to add bulk to the bottom of each Joy-Con when docked or held upright (again, rather than having the analog and/or buttons off-center on the base Joy-Con). Also, the dock wouldn't scratch the hell out of your screen when docking/undocking your system. There'd also be a second dock available for people who prefer to have the screen fully-exposed for the aforementioned reasons. The regular dock would still leave part of the screen exposed, and this exposed portion of the screen would be used for notifications.

modsbox

I think the natural Switch successor that they will make (and will sell well) is a sleeker slimmer version with non detachable joycons, that’s cheaper.

$199 Switch Lite. Can still do docked mode via a dock (sold separately) and use Pro controllers, joycons if need be. But it’s cheaper, has a d-pad on the left side, and is slimmer/smaller because the joycons are built in.

Peterc

I prefer to have a standalone console thats more powerfull like xbox1x or ps4pro.
So that for those who want it, can have a powerfull alternative

I don't know how realistic my wishlist is, but here is my wishlist for the Nintendo Switch revision.

- A 16 nm Pascal based Tegra SoC that's not only considerably more powerful, but also more power efficient (which I hope leads to less heat being created and a considerably longer battery life)

- Considerably reduced bezels

- A better Wi-Fi card

- The microSD card slot replaced with a regular SD card slot

- SKUs with 64 GB as the minimum internal storage, with the 128 GB SKU as an option

- A more stabilised kickstand that can still be popped back on when popped off accidentally without compromising the kickstand's strength

- More ergonomic Joy-Cons

- Inclusion of analog triggers on the Joy-Cons

- A significantly smaller dock

- An Ethernet port built in the dock

I love all of those suggestions. Surprising that most of them are not in the OP!

PooBone

My biggest thing would be fix the wonky ass dead zones on those sticks. Makes playing a first person game infuriating/nauseating/no fun.

neurophd

Not sure if this is on topic...but what is the process for games to get video recording support? It seems like this should easily be more widespread. What is the hold up? I want to record my sweet Golf Story shots!

I don't know how realistic my wishlist is, but here is my wishlist for the Nintendo Switch revision.

- A 16 nm Pascal based Tegra SoC that's not only considerably more powerful, but also more power efficient (which I hope leads to less heat being created and a considerably longer battery life)

- Considerably reduced bezels

- 64 GB as the minimum internal storage size in SKUs, with a 128 GB SKU as an option

- A better Wi-Fi card

- SKUs with 64 GB as the minimum internal storage, with the 128 GB SKU as an option

- A more stabilised kickstand that can still be popped back on when popped off accidentally without compromising the kickstand's strength

- More ergonomic Joy-Cons

- Inclusion of analog triggers on the Joy-Cons

- A significantly smaller dock

- An Ethernet port built in the dock

Besides of the SD card part, I agree with all the points. The pascal based SoC would would make a lot of difference and give the devs way less excuses to not bring a port of a multiplat game to the Switch.

I'm personally, as some has already suggested, would love to see a true pocket version of the Switch. The N3DS or N3DSXL are just the perfect devices for true portability. You can fold it together, put it in a pocket of your pair of jeans, and grab it everytime you want. The process with the Switch just isn't fun. It's too big, you have to wear it in the case because it's not robust like the 3DS is, and you have to wear a backpack with you just for the Switch, because it won't fit in your pockets. Grabing it from your case and putting it back carefully are just some wasted 60 seconds.

Besides of the SD card part, I agree with all the points. The pascal based SoC would would make a lot of difference and give the devs way less excuses to not bring a port of a multiplat game to the Switch.

I'm personally, as some has already suggested, would love to see a true pocket version of the Switch. The N3DS or N3DSXL are just the perfect devices for true portability. You can fold it together, put it in a pocket of your pair of jeans, and grab it everytime you want. The process with the Switch just isn't fun. It's too big, you have to wear it in the case because it's not robust like the 3DS is, and you have to wear a backpack with you just for the Switch, because it won't fit in your pockets. Grabing it from your case and putting it back carefully are just some wasted 60 seconds.

I completely agree with you but I also don't think it's possible to create a pocketable Switch in the forseeable future. The Soc draws a lot of power, takes up a lot of room, generates a lot of heat and it needs a substantial battery to give even the paltry 3hr battery life the Switch currently gets.

I want decent battery life on the Switch and a shrunken down Switch with a smaller battery is not the way to go in my opinion.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
I'd really like to see an Xbox one X style upgrade where it's basically a super powered version and all my old software just works but with updated visuals.

Water

I'd really like to see an Xbox one X style upgrade where it's basically a super powered version and all my old software just works but with updated visuals.

This is a company that never even bothered to release a version of the Wii with an HDMI output despite every single other device having HDMI at the time. Pretty obvious they don't give a shit about visual quality or convenience.

Does SD card offer any advantage over microsd except for being available at 512gbs for a substantial amount of money?

Is SD faster? If not, dual microsd would probably take up less space.

Dakhil

I personally think it would be really nice if there's a Xbox One X styled upgrade for the Nintendo Switch revision, but I think it's very unlikely, although not impossible, to happen for these reasons:

- A Xbox One X styled upgrade would make the Nintendo Switch upgrade cost prohibitive (I'm guessing around $499.99 - $549.99 (in USD)), and considering Tatsumi Kimishima said Nintendo has no intention of selling the Nintendo Switch at a loss, I assume the same will hold true for the Nintendo Switch revision

- I think the Nintendo Switch revision's ergonomics would be compromised since Nintendo would have to make the Nintendo Switch revision larger, wider, and heavier for more cooling and a larger battery (I know there are gamers who primarily play the Nintendo Switch at home, but I argue that a large chunk of /people who bought the Nintendo Switch bought it for the portability factor)

Does SD card offer any advantage over microsd except for being available at 512gbs for a substantial amount of money?

Is SD faster? If not, dual microsd would probably take up less space.
I could be wrong, but I believe there's no difference between a regular SD card and a microSD card in terms of speed.

And I believe no mobile device has a dual microSD card slot. I think you might be thinking of a dual SIM slot, but you can only put one microSD card into the dual SIM slot, not two.

But then again, there's so many things about technology that I don't know about and/or are ignorant about, so I could be wrong.

g11

Better battery life or a power bump and resolution increase. Gorilla glass or something equivalent would be nice too. It's a little nuts you need to buy a screen protector in 2017.

I personally think it would be really nice if there's a Xbox One X styled upgrade for the Nintendo Switch revision, but I think it's very unlikely, although not impossible, to happen for these reasons:

- A Xbox One X styled upgrade would make the Nintendo Switch upgrade cost prohibitive (I'm guessing around $499.99 - $549.99 (in USD)), and considering Tatsumi Kimishima said Nintendo has no intention of selling the Nintendo Switch at a loss, I assume the same will hold true for the Nintendo Switch revision

- I ger battery (I know there are gamers who primarily play the Nintendo Switch at home, but I argue that a large chunk of /people who bought the Nintendo Switch bought it for the portability factor).

Yes we won't see that large a jump in performance in a Switch XL.

However there is no reason a switch TV can't pack a $200 GTX1060 along with four arm72 cores running at max speed in lieu of a battery and screen and cost $299. A 1060 would go toe to toe with a PS4 Pro.

Better battery life or a power bump and resolution increase. Gorilla glass or something equivalent would be nice too. It's a little nuts you need to buy a screen protector in 2017.
The resolution increase wouldn't be worth it with Pascal/x2, unless you want the same battery life as the current switch. I think we will need a 10nm node for a 1080p screen with 5-6hrs battery life for games with switch specs on handheld (perhaps 1 TFLOPs equivalent in docked).

Dakhil

Yes we won't see that large a jump in performance in a Switch XL.

However there is no reason a switch TV can't pack a $200 GTX1060 along with four arm72 cores running at max speed in lieu of a battery and screen and cost $299. A 1060 would go toe to toe with a PS4 Pro.

If you mean an upgraded Nintendo Switch dock with a SoC installed in it (that has a GPU that has a power equivalence of a GTX 1060 and a CPU with 4 ARM Cortex-A73 cores running at max speeds) with the "Nintendo Switch TV", then I see why not.

If you mean a standalone device with that SoC setup with the "Nintendo Switch TV" (like with the PlayStation TV), then I feel like that contradicts the point of the Nintendo Switch, which is "console gaming that you can take anywhere you go". Yes, there are gamers that only play the Nintendo Switch at home, but there are a large chunk of people that buy the Nintendo Switch for that "console gaming wherever you go" selling point.

But I imagine a "Nintendo Switch TV" with that SoC setup would probably cost more than $299.99 (I'm guessing around $349.99 - $399.99 in USD), since it would take a lot of engineering for the "Nintendo Switch TV" to not only have more than an adequate amount of cooling (so the "Nintendo Switch TV" doesn't overheat and stays at a relatively cool temperature, (I'm guessing around 35°C - 55°C)), but also to minimise fan noise as much as possible.

Regolego

Neo Member
Reasons I'm not buying a Switch is the lack of graphical performance, storage space and the scratches on screen issue (if it's not already fixed?). I would also like to see a bundle with the Pro Controller.

The should do a Pro version with a slightly better processor/GPU, more RAM and memory. Or maybe advice the buyer of what sort of SD-card and size they should get.

Looking on how many iterations of DS Nintendo have made, and the ongoing half-step-generation-consoles - i think it's safe to say that we will see a Switch Pro in 2018/19.

ThisGuy

For next gen? Increased for performance, which is normal for a next gen system. Maybe move the charging port location, sturdier kick stand. Better audio.

I'm actually really happy with the switch. I wish there were cheaper big name games on it. But overall its quickly became one of my favorite systems. Dethroning standard PC games. And creeping up on the vive.

NikuNashi

Battery life is the one for me.

Perhaps being able to switch (no pun intended) out batteries easily so I can charge a couple of batteries and use on long flight.s.

Dakhil

Battery life is the one for me.

Perhaps being able to switch (no pun intended) out batteries easily so I can charge a couple of batteries and use on long flight.s.

It would be really nice to have the ability to swap out the batteries on the Nintendo Switch revision.

But given how nowadays, almost all the mobile devices have nonremovable batteries, I don't expect removable batteries to happen with the Nintendo Switch revision.

Giggity_Dude

Neo Member
Dunno if it's been mentioned yet, but I'd like the joy-cons to work properly when docked. If any large enough body part gets between the controller and the switch, the controllers start dropping input like crazy.

For instance, I can't sit back and play relaxed on the couch. My legs get between the controller and the console and end up making the controllers drop input.

Super frustrating

TLZ

Banned
Dunno if it's been mentioned yet, but I'd like the joy-cons to work properly when docked. If any large enough body part gets between the controller and the switch, the controllers start dropping input like crazy.

For instance, I can't sit back and play relaxed on the couch. My legs get between the controller and the console and end up making the controllers drop input.

Super frustrating

My dilemma as well. So much for that very laid back pose that Nintendo guy advertised on reveal.

Super frustrating

Fortunately I have never had that happen to me. I guess there is a lot of variation in the quality of the Joycons. They really need to address this asap

Do a lot of switch games use a dynamic resolution? If so and they Amp up the cpu to 1ghz with the 7nm shrink like, we could expect it to outperform even the docked performance. Stable resolution and framerate for all

Alex

A larger battery.

A dock with some internals to push docked software towards 1080p on the norm.

If you shave the bezels off like in the OP's concept, your thumbs are going to be blocking part of the screen when you tilt the analog stick inwards, and that will be way more distracting. This sort of needs to be an ergonomic gaming device, not a sexy phone.

I really want improved battery life and fanless to be priorities above all else

If you shave the bezels off like in the OP's concept, your thumbs are going to be blocking part of the screen when you tilt the analog stick inwards, and that will be way more distracting. This sort of needs to be an ergonomic gaming device, not a sexy phone

That's just not true. I just tried it and no the thumbs won't block the current bezel at all when pushed inwards and I have huge thumbs. But even if it were, blocking a couple of mms of the most peripheral part of the screen on rare occasions (how often would the thumb be all the way in) doesn't impact the game at all.

Seriously, try it. What you are you claiming is simply not an issue

I think the natural Switch successor that they will make (and will sell well) is a sleeker slimmer version with non detachable joycons, that’s cheaper.

$199 Switch Lite. Can still do docked mode via a dock (sold separately) and use Pro controllers, joycons if need be. But it’s cheaper, has a d-pad on the left side, and is slimmer/smaller because the joycons are built in.

Highly doubt it, would kinda defeat the whole purpose with the switch.

RulkezX

Honestly just enough power so the undocked mode cam run games ast its native res.

We are less than a year in and already undocked mode is quickly becoming an after thought with developers targeting docked mode then butchering games to be "playable" docked.

Honestly just enough power so the undocked mode cam run games ast its native res.

We are less than a year in and already undocked mode is quickly becoming an after thought with developers targeting docked mode then butchering games to be "playable" docked.

That's very true and the reason why I want them to get it down to 7nm, so they run the processor at the current docked speed or higher while still using less power, get rid of the internal fan altogether and thus get substantially better battery life.

Teran

Jumbo joycons with deeper control sticks and more ergonomic grip. I like the vanilla joycons, and understand why they are the way they are, but considering I transport the Switch in a case/bag, space isn't necessarily that much of a premium, and I'm not really bothered with the sleek aesthetic being ruined if it makes playing feel better.

Jumbo joycons with deeper control sticks and more ergonomic grip. I like the vanilla joycons, and understand why they are the way they are, but considering I transport the Switch in a case/bag, space isn't necessarily that much of a premium, and I'm not really bothered with the sleek aesthetic being ruined if it makes playing feel better.

Throw in a proper d pad, identical and centered home and capture buttons like pictured in the OP, and analog triggers and I'm sold.

I honestly want to play Goldeneye Rogue Agent and Burnout Revenge more than anything.

Both are action packed adrenaline thrill rides that do not have any downtime (none of this open world, sim/stealth nonsense) and that what makes them so damn fun.

That's very true and the reason why I want them to get it down to 7nm, so they run the processor at the current docked speed or higher while still using less power, get rid of the internal fan altogether and thus get substantially better battery life.
I'd be fine with 10nm like current flagship phones. Knowing Nintendo, they will be somewhat behind on times with tech to save Costs.

matthewuk

Here's an idea how about the vapour based cooling system used in the Xbox one X? Could this remove the need for a fan? This paired with a smaller node could help the battery life a lot and leave some Headroom for a moderate boost in clocks (including CPU). This could help stabilise frame rates, reduce or eliminate resolution drops and allow 1080p as a norm for games that would otherwise be 900p

Dakhil

I don't think the Nintendo Switch revision's SoC would be manufactured using a 7 nm fabrication node since I believe the lowest fabrication node Nvidia used to manufacture the most recent Tegra SoCs is 16 nm.

As someone with a beast of a modded Wii U which contains a good majority of the Nintendo back catalogue on it (that I own), all contained on a single system & connected to my TV via HDMI, I'm really going to need Nintendo to pull out all stops to get me even remotely interested in buying the Switch. Perhaps a "New" Nintendo Switch Colour XL 3D edition will bring me onboard to their current ecosystem. As a platform agnostic gamer (and from a Nintendo standpoint): I either sacrifice 3D gaming (that I LOOOOOVE) from my N3DS XL to play on a crappy 2D Switch or I sacrifice my entire Nintendo back catalog of games from my amazing Wii U just to play games @ sub- 720p on a home portable screen in 2017... Hm. Uh, no sale. I'm stoked that it's successful though. All future games that are funded thanks to the success of the Nintendo Switch's mass market success will eventually end up in my library... Albiet for ultra cheap and in a nicely revised, reliable iteration of the console (Hello, Switch 2021 edition, sans scratches and dock issues). If Odyssey had been a genuine successor to SM64, I'd be buying a Switch right now but the Mario team dropped the ball, sadly.

llien

Significant price drop.
Premium model with OLED.

Nintendo giving up on "TN or IPS" lottery (not sure if it applies to Switch, but the way they handled 3DS was appalling)

Top Bottom